October 16, 2018, 04:14:58 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Digital drawing and painting workshop  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
Digital drawing and painting workshop
« on: February 18, 2016, 11:21:53 AM »
Hello all,

I'm interested in helping those who are learning to use digital software, or just want tips for improving their digital work. I can provide intermediate advice for using Photoshop, and basic advice for using Paint tool sai; for tablet users mostly.

I will talk about layer management, as well as optimizing and controlling your brush settings for a pleasing drawing or painting experience.

You can submit your images to this thread and I will do a paintover/draw-over, if you request it. I'll try to point out any flaws in your technique and how to make the image more pleasing or fulfill a higher objective standard of art quality. Or if there are any problems you're having with the image and you mention them, I will try to deal with those.

I may also provide exercises for creating artwork if interested people are having trouble finding a starting point.

Offline suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Digital drawing and painting workshop
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 05:18:58 AM »
this sounds fun

here is my absolute best drawing (self portrait) i was wearing headphones when i took the picture - smart, arent i (sarcasm):P
Spoiler
i used colour picker a lot on the copy image and even traced over the original for the outlines (which are not visible now), i was trying to see what was my maximum copy quality. ignore the eyebrows, i was trying to do this fast :P :P
what i want to know is, how to get rid of the smoothness of everything without leaving visible paintbrush strokes behind. in other words smooth, but not smooth :P

another question(s):
-do you know of any good time-lapse digital painters? i think i learn the best from just watching normally.
-and or written tutorials on portraits specifically?
-is it better to paint on all one layer, as i did above? or split into different features for each layer?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:21:14 AM by suupertramp »

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:55:23 PM »
For digital painting time lapses, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtqLEajb5DORGv4qXWzVSmA
Tutorials on portraits that I can recommend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dMNcO3NmIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgv8ECDh_CM
blending, which is really useful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfcdH062V_8
And a pretty good book on painting in general, which is relevant to digital painting except regarding traditional process
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=51c45d10c094e67a426fe83c29f9e879

There's no 'better' way to do it. Working with layers, however, is smart and allows you to see how your painting unfolds, and also allows you to keep a drawing/line layer. You also don't need a layer for each different feature. You can just have it for gradually increasing the details and specificity of the painting.

For your painting, first of all, don't paint off of traced drawing and don't color-pick in the future. You end up with a lifeless painting this way, and your colors and values will probably be off even though you were colorpicking. That's because the color you see is different from what the colorpicker; the colorpicker picks pixels, not the relevant color.

Regarding smothness, well, it has to do with your edges. It's generally a good idea to have a balance of hard and soft-edges in any painting. You shouldn't be afraid of leaving visible paintbrush strokes either. If you need a more refined picture, don't work more smoothly, just use a bigger canvas. Textured brushes will also help you add texture and keep it from looking too smooth.
Here's a painting I did over yours to show you what I mean. It was pretty challenging to do so because I wasn't really sure what you looked like, haha. Besides that, I noticed your shadows were a bit unsaturated. When you darken a color you need to increase it's saturation, otherwise it will feel duller/grayer. Also, part of your smoothness is likely due to using an airbrush too often. Use a hard-round brush more often. And do paint on a background that isn't white, as white tends to change the color/lightness appearance of what it surrounds.

Spoiler
This is the rez I was working on so you can see a bit the brushstrokes.

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 10:51:17 AM »
thank you for taking the time to critique my work in detail, i appreciate it.

-thanks for the tutorial videos, i watched quite a few after them and i think i am in a better position to paint now.
-(although i wish i understood chinese for the chinese video :P)
-the painting book link is blocked, at least to me.

i think i was also not using flow/opacity correctly. i understand the difference now and will learn how to use them as i go.

-yes i did not use texture brushes. i was completely against them but i instantly understand why to use them and i am fine using them now. again practice will make perfect :P

perhaps part of the colours issue is my colourblindness, i hate to use it as an excuse and i hope experience will help in decision making.

thanks for the paint over (i should have added a reference photo, sorry lol)
-rather than using an air brush, i used smudge a fair amount, which i used instead of blending, which i think i have a better grasp of now, so thats more probably why it was so smooth.
-yes i do not plan to colour pick in the future, i already knew that. i dont plan on using colour blindness as an excuse either :P
-again the trace was just to speed up my painting, since that was what i was testing. i dont plan on using either in the future
-i will keep an eye on saturation. i have been making use of it in my manga paintings more recently.

i have a few more questions:
-regarding layers, what advantage does multiple layers of detail have over just painting it in one layer? ie at what point would you add a new layer and why?
-if i were to draw hair over a face, like loose strands, is that best done on a different layer (what if i wanted to change the face underneath the hair, is what i am thinking)
-similarly with drawing say a hand over the face, is that best on a new layer?

thanks Ryan i hope to learn more from your experience :)

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »
When you work on multiple layers, you first of all have a lot more flexibility in adjusting the figure/foreground and background separately. Many times I've made the mistake of "painting white" in order to shape the silhouette of a figure. When you do that you can't put a clean background layer underneath because the white will show up on a non-white background. When this happens one can't help but want to punch themselves in the face...

Secondly, putting a certain element onto a new layer allows you to shape it by erasing. For painting certain things this really helps, instead of having to waste time picking nearby colors to shape it because it's on the same layer as everything else. When doing this, you can also merge down the layer when you finish painting the element if you want.

Thirdly, layers are like a free save. When you are about to do something major to an image, it's a good idea to do so on a new layer in case it doesn't work out. You can then delete it and go back to what you had previously :) This will become pretty intuitive after doing a few studies.

Fourthly, what to use layers for. Anytime where objects/figures/elements overlap in space. For example, a figure can have three layers. One for a cape, one for the figure itself, and one for their weapon. The cape is overlapped by the figure itself, and the weapon overlaps the figure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfEhzadqn74 You can see this here. This helps to keep shapes clean.

A continuation of four, using layers is also good for painting graphic patterns, stripes, etc. Particularly because you can lock transparency of the layer. When you do this, you can add subtle changes to the value/color of the pattern without changing its shape, it's very useful. What I've done here is show you transparency and clipping masks.

I made a brushtroke and then locked transparency. Once I did that, I could paint within it perfectly. After I did that, I made another layer and made a clipping mask. I painted within that new layer and then locked transparency once again. By doing this you can restrict your shapes even more.

Painting hair on a different layer is a good idea, yes. As well as painting a hand over a face.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:17:29 PM by Ryan »

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 04:55:16 PM »
i see, thanks for clearing those points up.
i will have a go at merging layers after adding details, sounds like a nice idea
i have used clipping layers before, although the app on my tablet does not have it which is a shame.
just started using gimp to paint on my computer, the paintings aren't nice :P
but after 2 or three practises im starting to get a feel for it, but nowhere near what i want of course :P
thanks again :)

Offline Killer B !!SAMA!!

• I GOT U THERE PERVERT AJUSSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 11:30:18 AM »
this is really nice ryan im kind of listening to the digital studies haha btw is there a free version of that photoshop i havent use photoshop in my life brotha can u teach me where should i start what software? and techniques haha  :D

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 05:05:36 AM »
hi there Ryan, i hope you still have time to give me a little bit of help.
ive been doing more digital, and i kinda get stuck on making a drawing look correct even when sketchy, i seem to just gets lots of strokes overlapping each other and looking awful. this is a page of about 4-5 minute referenced paintings. some look better than others but i have no idea why so i thought id ask for a bit of pointer :P

like the top right one looks ok, but the bottom right ones looks badly done.

Spoiler