November 17, 2018, 01:34:08 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Poll

Who should advance to the final?

Grave
0 (0%)
Xiana
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: March 04, 2016, 09:51:31 AM

Author Topic: MangaRaiders Character Tournament. (WITH PRIZES!!)  (Read 23806 times)

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Re: MangaRaiders Character Tournament. (WITH PRIZES!!)
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2016, 12:17:08 AM »
So is there already artist lined up or is everyone just hopeful that they are going to have interest in this?
And a one sided fight is pretty boring so I'm not worried about a writer being one sided in their battles lol
And why would we cut off the submissions so soon. I'm sure we have room for at least a few more.

As far as I understand right now, it's going to be a collaborative art project, meaning there'll be multiple artists on the project (dunno who's the artists thus far). Based on the current brackets, there'll be 7 fights in total involving the current 8 characters. At the very least, we should have at least 7 "Main" artwork, plus supplementary art and script. Adding more would increase the number and bracket complexity (8 is an even number for bracketing).

And if you've been keeping up with both WC's Tourney and Age of Corruption, there are a great amount of people who sign up, then somewhere along the lines drop out of the face of the earth where we never hear of them again (somewhat irresponsible of them to leave their characters for others to figure out on their own, in my opinion  :unsure: How could you abandon your subjects, m'lord!?  :( ). Normally, the first ones in are the most dedicated, so at least we can trust things will be active!  :D
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Offline Hope4Future

• Future Writer
  • "Ryujin no ken o kurae!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2016, 12:19:27 AM »
Ser0ooo: i'm going off what you were saying, there's too much involved in the artists job. At this point, we might as well keep this as a writers tournament instead of trying to get artists involved. That way things go a little more smoothly than the alternative and faster if i may add.

Maybe give the writers at least a week to write out their senarios as well, given peoples schedules.

Paipis: sry but it looks like we'll be heading in that dirrection. But if an opening comes up then you'll be next in line, or otherwise the next set.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:34:18 AM by Hope4Future »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2016, 12:25:02 AM »
Light novel format for the final battle, eh? That'd be a splendid idea!  :thumbsup:

Offline Hope4Future

• Future Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2016, 12:36:39 AM »
Thanks!  Hopefully we'll get a better outcome this way.  ;D

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2016, 04:36:51 AM »
And why would we cut off the submissions so soon. I'm sure we have room for at least a few more.

Yeah I think the same.

So guys we have 8 characters now which was the original scope so what do we do? Do we close it or keep submissions open?

I wasn't expecting to get the 8 in a day!!!! So cool!

Things is I really wanted to get Lego's and Paipis submission! And hopefully an artist will submit a character  :D And this has only been here for a day so I certainly think we can get at least a few more characters (thing is the tournament structure only works for 8 or 16 so we have to figure something out)

A proposal would be: We keep this open, hope to get 16 characters so we can divide them on two groups. Group A and B.  We make the sub tournament for group A (with 8 as originally planned) and get a feelings on how things go. Afterwards we make B and the grand finale is between the winner from A and B.

As far as the fights go I wasn't expected the character owners to write the entire fight for their character, just contribute some. The way I imagined is we declare a fight, then the character owner send me (or post) ideas for the fight, other people can post (or send) ideas too, then I post an overview of the fight on the develop you story thread where other people can then jump in, expand it, leave feedback, add more stuff, etc. Make this a collaborative thing instead of someone writing all the fights  ;D

If you want to see what an overview of a fight would look like if I wrote it please check the sample fight between Kalvin and Fraagon! I kept it relatively short and described the main character interaction moments. If it was a real tournament fight I would expect someone to flesh it out a bit,maybe Hope since he is a writer and his character is there but anyone can do it.

We just need to be careful we make it in the context of developing the fight and not turning it into a roleplaying thing because thats not allowed. Or do RPing over PM if someone wants to go that route.

And of course nobody has to contribute if they don't want to. If you prefer not to spoil the fights and read the final version you can do just that. But hopefully there will be some writers that help fleshing out the battles  ;)

I have something to do ATM but later today I will try to post an overview of a fight between two of these characters and see what people think. Makes things much easier when you have an example.

Regarding illustrations, I'm not expecting to get 7 fights illustrated, that is never going to happen. I was hoping to get art for one fight done and concept art for all the characters. This has only been here for a day so lets wait a bit and see what happens. Perhaps later we can reach out to some artists and ask them to do a drawing or two. Or maybe one artist gets interested in this and wants to help out. Hopefully we get lucky.

But just to be clear at no point we are going to keep thing on hold waiting for an artist to do something. The illustration is a parallel thing.

Facebook       Patreon

Offline Killer B !!SAMA!!

• I GOT U THERE PERVERT AJUSSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2016, 06:24:28 AM »
hha this thing will be hard but hahaha but we can do it omaaayraaa

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2016, 06:42:57 AM »
I have this cool idea for a fight between Grave and Ryoni Demon Hunter. If you want please PM me saying who do you want to win and fight ideas if you have some (PM cause we were thinking it was better not to do that in public as not to influence the results).

This is a test fight. If we like it we include it as a tournament match if not we learn from it.

And we are still taking submissions!!!

Facebook       Patreon

Offline Hope4Future

• Future Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2016, 07:28:26 AM »
i was surprised about getting 8 characters within a day as well and i hate to cut it short, but i purpose that we close the slots and leave it with just us 8. managing 16 characters (if we were able to get that many) would be quite a hassle to organize, compared to what we currently have now. however, that necessarily doesn't mean its one or the other, the group A and B method is basically the same as the alternative. considering that group B would have to wait until group A (aka: our current group) is finished, we would just play out group A while group B is being formed. i like the idea of group A and group B's champions fighting it out, it's possible to do as well in both scenarios; group B's champion could later fight group A's champion and the winner carries the title.

also, i do believe that we should each write our own scenarios of the match and then vote for whoever's more liked, based on creativity or whatever (i know i already went over this earlier but i thought i'd share my thoughts more directly to the matter of opinion). personally i prefer this option because i'd feel so lazy otherwise, just editing it from someone else's version isn't the same as writing your own; after all, who knows better of how to write about a character than their creator. frankly, i just don't feel obligated to add to the sample because of it.

btw Walter B, why do you need an overview match? wasn't the sample enough to show off the general idea?

anyway, i better wrap this up before i start rambling lol. just to summarize: yes on closing entries until we finish with what we have and we should post our own version of the matches. that's my thoughts and be sure to post your thoughts on the matter as well.

Offline MisterSherbetLemon

• The MangaRaiders Political Correctness Enforcer...Ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2016, 07:34:36 AM »
Don't mean to bring the hype down but if I have to write my scenario myself I'll probably have to opt out. I have a lot of stuff of my own that I'm trying to get through but thought making a character and sending some general tactics would lead to a fun read from whoever writes out the fight. I don't really have the time to be writing out fight scenes outside of my own projects sorry. =/ 

Offline Ser0ooo

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2016, 07:57:06 AM »
Don't mean to bring the hype down but if I have to write my scenario myself I'll probably have to opt out. I have a lot of stuff of my own that I'm trying to get through but thought making a character and sending some general tactics would lead to a fun read from whoever writes out the fight. I don't really have the time to be writing out fight scenes outside of my own projects sorry. =/ 

Well with that being said I guess it will have to do for Walter to write out the majority of the scenario. For the people that cannot commit to writing the entire battle and the people that can spare a little time write their own or at least contribute a large amount of the battle.
Because like Hope4Future said, no one knows the character like their creator so they can come up with he most creative way for their characters to fight and that will avoid someone else writing the character battle in a way that the character wouldn't actually battle.
For example of it was put into my battle that Ryoni got scared and ran to hide behind a rock. Then that is not in him as a character and it would really ruin accuracy of he battle.
Obviously the example was over exaggerated and I would expect that to happen to a smaller scale but I was proving a point. Lol

And I guess 8 is fine for now. Unless the next 2 entries get entered soon.
This is our first tournament so maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves wanting such a large tournament.

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2016, 08:05:38 AM »

I guess this means Grave is dropping out of the tourney?  :hmm: This means there's still time for one final submission! First one to get their character in gets to join!  :D

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2016, 08:53:55 AM »

Of course. Is ok. I'm not expecting writers to write the battles for their characters. If you have time it would be good if you reviewed the fight we come up with but you don't even have to do that.

Nobody has to commit to do anything. This is a just for fun collaboration. The ideas you sent are enough and your character is very good fleshed out anyway.

Because like Hope4Future said, no one knows the character like their creator so they can come up with he most creative way for their characters to fight and that will avoid someone else writing the character battle in a way that the character wouldn't actually battle

Hmmm...thats a good point but we also need a bit of creative flexibility here to make the fights balanced and interesting. I'm not going to make up a completely new power for your character but we may use the powers in a slight different way if it allows for an interesting match, or tone down the power level a bit if the match up is too unbalanced.

Obviously I'm not going to have your character cry or hide behind a rock but if I write that you character takes a punch and your response is "he wouldn't take that punch because he would teleport or do this and that" then you are missing the point of this.

Ok, back to working on the fight  ;D

btw Walter B, why do you need an overview match? wasn't the sample enough to show off the general idea?

I think the fight is going to come off great and we will have it as a tournament match up  :D :D

Yes we have a sample match but nobody commented on it. You even freaked out a bit because your character died  :tongue: :tongue:

just to summarize: yes on closing entries until we finish with what we have

There is no good reason to close them. We are still testing things. Updating the OP doesn't take that long and we could just use the AB group thing if 16 is too much to handle (and it probably is but lets keep it open, I want to see if an artist feels inclined to submit their character)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:58:43 AM by Walter B »

Facebook       Patreon

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2016, 08:55:09 AM »
no i think mistersherbertlemon is right if you just like to make some scenario to some characters we can also battle out of the characters because this is CHARACTER TOURNAMENT so this idea that walter B did was splendid,instead of making it ur own i mean the scenario's haha its like a collaborative develop of your battle scene so cool, no mistersherbertlemon's character cant be drop out cause its his character,and yeah its a good read when he see his character battle out and win hhaa so u want to battle my fraagon mistersherbertlemon  :D
id like to put some battle and battle scene when no one wants to post first haha

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2016, 09:00:51 AM »

no mistersherbertlemon's character cant be drop out cause its his character,and yeah its a good read when he see his character battle out and win

That character stays. I like it very much  :D (and serooo's character too).

Stay tuned for the first match!!!

Facebook       Patreon

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2016, 09:03:27 AM »
haha be ready to burn mistersherbertlemon ill kick his asss  :D