August 20, 2019, 03:05:36 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Storyboard Your First Chapter... With Stick Figures!  (Read 567 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Storyboard Your First Chapter... With Stick Figures!
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:13:28 AM »
Adapt the first chapter of a story on the forum into a comic using stick figures and simple shapes.

1. You don't have to draw the entire chapter, but it'd be great if you could reach that goal. It would be worth it to be able to show it off.

2. You can use mannequins if you want. Even draw some great background features, but this workshop is focused on your ability to tell a story more than your drawing ability. So please stick to simple forms as much as possible. (You can also use other variations of simple body forms eg circle and triangle for a body e.t.c

3. You can post a link to your story, but POSTING THE CHAPTER/SCRIPT IS FORBIDDEN. Sure, you can describe the panels next to the drawn storyboards, but to avoid crutching on what you have already written and the likes, keep this as visual as possible

4. Have fun and learn!

A lot of us writers come here on the forum with the lofty and reasonable goal of having our works illustrated in one form or the other. I for one found myself quickly reducing my goals to 'having an illustrated short story'

For those who are dead set on having a manga made though, we need a better skillset. Yes, it's possible to find artists with having just a written script, and artists can also adapt from storyboards. But writing for manga and comics is still something that is done and more useful to an artist. An artist adapts works in a different manner than a novel ever would, and these two areas must be respected.

I've already tried to make this workshop twice (there's even a writers survival version of this) and will make many more again, because it will always be something that is needed by manga writers who want their stuff drawn.

Have fun, and let's ave some good critiques on the flow and content of the storyboards. I'll make an entry when I finally get the time. Please do join in !

Hello Writers of MR!

Offline Monok

• View Profile
Re: Storyboard Your First Chapter... With Stick Figures!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:31:34 AM »
I suppose, officially, I already started doing this.....

The link to the story

The link to me drawing with stick figures
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:38:05 AM by Monok »

Offline MisterSherbetLemon

• The MangaRaiders Political Correctness Enforcer...Ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:38:34 AM »
Awesome idea, I'll get something up soon :P

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 08:51:37 AM »
Will be looking forward to it Sherbert!

Just remember everyone, you can update page by page. It doesn't have to be the whole thing in one chunk.

And the reason why I say only the 1st chapter is because it's what draws the reader in to getting into your project. It's a cheat to jump to an epic finale or an action scene to garner interest, so stick to chapter 1!

Commented on it Monok. Nicely done there!