December 15, 2018, 06:41:31 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Poll

Who is Best Girl?

Yoko
Isabella
Aika
Izanami
Tsukiakari
Shoku Twins
Shinju
Rei
Kagutsuchi
Amatsutsuki
Hima
Annabel
Carmilla

Author Topic: Death By Ex-Girlfriend (Senkumo War Stories PUBLISHED)  (Read 58440 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Death By Ex-Girlfriend (COMPLETED)
« Reply #420 on: September 24, 2018, 07:40:21 AM »
Good luck! And keep us updated! I would love to have a physical copy on my shelf.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 27, 2018, 12:06:19 AM »
I've done it, gentlemen! Senkumo War Stories: Book of Blossoming is officially published!

You can grab a digital copy here

Or a paperback copy here

Hope you guys enjoy it  :clapping: Now we can all have something new on our bookshelves. 216 pages too? I managed quite a lot for a paperback.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 27, 2018, 07:41:23 AM »
Congratulations!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 27, 2018, 07:56:02 AM »
Congrats on your new success OGHM! You've come a long way since you first threw this out here  :thumbsup:

As a side note, I'm rather curious you decided to publish this out-or-order  :hmm:

Best of luck to you old friend  8)
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Offline suuper-san

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 27, 2018, 09:13:01 AM »
supercongratulations!
I might grab a paper copy once my house redecoration is done and I have shelves again :P
well done on your achievement and hopefully the next will be greater still!
Art: Manga / Other / Requests (closed)
Manga:Overdrive / Endlessness
Other:Craft

Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 28, 2018, 12:32:10 AM »
 :clapping: Thanks, everyone! I've still got a lot more work to do. Hope you guys enjoy the next books

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 01, 2018, 11:23:15 PM »
Howdy folks

The digital version of Senkumo War Stories: Book of Blossoming is currently running for $2.99  :ohmy:
And the physical is running for $9.99! Get 'em on the cheap while you can!

Also, some updates.

Currently working on part one of Book of Betrayal. It's gonna require some splicing between some chapters that were originally written for Book of Phantoms, and some concepts/scenes that didn't make it in the first draft here (For instance, the first real occurrence of a phantom haunting the Senkumo base happened after Tsukiakari brought back Masachika's corpse, following the Kaga Rebellion.) Not a big deal, but it does take some work. So far, progress with this one is going much faster than Book of Blossoming, since now I know for sure what should go into the formatting to ensure smooth printing and readability.

I could've sworn I had a finished doc of Aika Crisis somewhere  :hmm: But alas, I can't find it. Not a problem either, because I do have a doc of it in...let's say, 90% completion. While Senkumo War Stories has a different aesthetic to it despite being a part of the overall Death by Ex-Girlfriend story, I do want the main series to have a full-blown, relatable, anime aesthetic. That means commissioning that sweet, weeb cover art  :clapping: I'll try to get that out as soon as I can.

Also, since I've taken on the name of Haruto Tonbogiri, and have committed myself to sprucing up my works and publishing them, I've built a website!
www.tonbogiribooks.com

I only have one book out, so it's still in a pretty skeletal state. I hope to build it up as I put more of my work out there. Anyway, once you go there, you'll see these two buttons. Go To War and Join the Dynasty. Go To War is where all my stuff is going to be as I release it. Give you links to purchase them on Amazon. Join the Dynasty is the mailing list, which isn't all the way developed just yet. If you get a chance to try it out, let me know if you run into any problems. Just want to make absolutely sure what's there is functional before I expand it.

The current sidestory going on in this thread with Yachi going missing is going to become Book of Azaleas. I didn't intend to write an entirely new book when I started that. I thought it would just be part of Book of Betrayal, but alas... you know how things go when I want to tell a new story. As you can probably tell by now, it does not have a happy ending. Like, at all.

I think that's about it for my updates. Thanks for sticking around and reading all of this. It's amazing how a dark and brutal story about a goddess trying to survive the Warring States period of Japan ends up tying into the modern day, comedic story of Death by Ex-Girlfriend. Until that story stops being comedic and also gets dark and depressing but HEEEEEYYYYY, WHO NEEDS FUN AND HAPPINESS WHEN YOU'VE GOT ME?!

Later, folks.

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 03, 2018, 12:04:19 AM »
I'd like to start doing EXCERPTS OF THE DAY from these books  :hmm: Kinda hard to do since I have two books in the works right now. Ah hell, I'll just quote from both, alright? This first one is from the Book of Blossoming. As the Senkumo clan begins to accrue more money and recruits, Taeko and the Otonougi twins adopt the practice of preparing Salt Pork, much to Tsukiakari's dismay.

Ungrateful Swine!
Spoiler
Suddenly, Yachi and Chiya appeared before the two, quickly jumping into the conversation.

“It’s true, you know. Yachi and I learned this from the Ashikaga when we lived in Kyoto.” Chiya explained.

Yachi nodded in agreement. “Salt pork is covered in salt and prepared in a brine solution inside of a barrel or small pot. Once it’s ready, it can be used from the start of winter all the way up to the end of the very next spring. During these hotter seasons, food is much more likely to spoil before you even reach your area of operation, so cured foods like this that can last in the field are extremely valuable.”

“Of course, you don’t have to thank us for going through the trouble of, you know, instructing all of your troops in how to prepare the pork.” Chiya assured with a smirk.

“I mean, what do we know?” Yachi pondered. “We’re just two little whores from Kyoto that always did the Ashikaga’s bidding.”

Chiya nodded. “Oh, but such fine whores we are, right Yachi?”

“Indeed, Sis. We are indeed such fine, fine whores.”

“Alright, alright!” Tsukiakari sighed. “I heard you loud and clear. Thanks, you two. Please ensure the pork is packed as compactly as possible for the journey.”

The Otonougi twins bowed to their lord, hiding their smug grins.

“We’re honored to accept your gratitude.” Yachi sang.

“So honored, indeed.” Chiya concluded.

This next one is from the Book of Betrayal Part 1, which I'm working on as we speak. In the spirit of the month of Spookyween, I think it's appropriate I give you this excerpt pertaining to the first haunting of the Senkumo base -- The emergence of Masachika Togashi's phantom, whom Tsukiakari watched commit suicide in the first book.

Phantom of the Flies
Spoiler
...However, Tsukiakari quickly realized that the haze around her was real. A thick fog suddenly veiled the entire base. She stood up in a panic, watching as the torch lights around base flickered and waned until nothing was left of them. The fog choked every bit of warmth from the base, chilling the air until Tsukiakari could see her own breath every time she exhaled. It grew so cold that even her fingertips went numb.

“What the hell is happening?” Tsukiakari whispered, her breath mixing with the fog.

She took a short leap off of the patio and onto the ground. A very faint buzzing in the background grew louder with each, cautious step she took towards the courtyard. As it intensified, she realized it was the sound of a swarm of flies. It sounded like thousands upon thousands of them, their wings all beating the air in unison. A few steps further and she actually began to see the, horse flies buzzing past her in the fog, all of them going in the same direction. It was like they were all attracted to the same thing.

Tsukiakari drew her blade from its scabbard as she proceeded. The flies completely coated the flowers in the courtyard, flying away in a chaotic frenzy as Tsukiakari walked by. Hundreds more of the flies lied on the ground dying, their legs still twitching around frantically. A pungent and putrescent stench invaded her nostrils, making her eyes tear up. She instantly recognized that smell. It reeked of rotten meat and festering bile, but had a slight sweetness to it. It was the smell of death.

Suddenly, the neigh of a frightened horse blared out from beyond the fog, panicking Tsuikiakari into a defensive pose. She held her blade in front of her and steadied her grip. The horse continued to cry out, but only for a brief minute. Its wails soon died down, replaced by the soft sound of ripping flesh. Tsukiakari brought her blade to her hip as she channeled her energy through its hilt. With a single slash, she managed to displace some of the fog around her, scaring away the legions of horse flies. She could see the courtyard in full past the black swarms of flies, as well as large pools of blood staining the grass.

She stopped and crouched. She could just vaguely make out a humanoid figure kneeling by a flayed horse. In fact, the figure seemed to be eating the horse’s flesh. Shocked, she focused her gaze on the strange scene, unsure of how to proceed. She initially thought the figure ahead was one of her own men. But the aura around the base, the cold, frigid miasma that choked out all of the warmth, it couldn’t have been from one of her men.

As she sat and watched, another figure emerged out of the fog behind her, as if she had materialized within its gaseous veil. It had the visage of a young girl, her small, malnourished body loosely wrapped in a tattered, floral kimono. Black, silk ribbons were tied around her ankles and wrists, flowing behind her feet and hands like decorations on a present. She floated towards Tsukiakari like a ghost, her face hidden behind a mask of darkness. Only her blood-red eyes could be seen through the shadow concealing her face. Her long, frazzled hair was enwreathed in fire, as if each individual strand was plucked right from the sun.

Tsukiakari couldn’t feel her presence, even as the girl floated at her side, just behind her left shoulder. It was as if they were both watching the flayed horse being eaten. The girl began to float upwards, disappearing into the fog just as Tsukiakari turned around. Now that she was gone, Tsukiakari felt as if someone was just there. The feeling of her presence still lingered. She quickly snapped her attention back to the horse and the figure ahead, gathering the courage to step forth.

The figure ahead growled like a startled demon and pulled away from the horse, turning towards Tsukiakari. She stopped in her tracks, pointing her blade towards him.

“Who are you?!” she asked.

The figure was wrapped in a white burial shroud, its hood covering his head. Thousands of horse flies buzzed from inside of his shroud, coating his arms and face. Like the girl, the fly-coated man floated like a phantom. His skin was a deep, dark, and sickly green. He had clearly been decomposing for a long time. The fly-coated figure seemed recognize, voicing his hatred with an otherworldly, monstrous scream. Tsukiakari was suddenly pushed aside.

Bishamon’s voice rang out from besides her. “Get down, Gekko!”

Bishamon unraveled the fiery whip hanging at his side and swung it towards the strange figure. The whip coiled itself around its fly-infested body, only for the flies to scatter apart. The figure immaterialized.

“Bisha! What’s happening?!” Tsukiakari shouted.

Bishamon grit his teeth. “A haunting…”

The flies gathered again, re-materializing the shrouded figure. His swarms of flies began to fly in circles around him, forming a tornado of insects. They flies scattered, as if they had sniffed someone out amidst the fog.

“We’re dealing with a phantom, Gekko! They’re supernatural beings, like us!” Bishamon explained.

“A phantom? The dead come back to life?”

The flies swarmed around the mysterious, floating girl, who descended from the thick of the fog as her turned black with insects. Two Senkumo females caught in the fog screamed from ahead, dropping in front of the floating girl as flies ate away at their skin and flesh. They wriggled and writhed on the ground as if they were on fire, their agonized screams bellowing through the fog. As the two young women lay dying, they both suddenly burst into flames, along with the floating girl. The scorching blaze killed the two women instantly, but the floating girl seemed at home in the fire.

The flies consuming the floating girl’s body all dropped dead as the flames enwreathing her hair covered her entire body. Bishamon and Tsukiakari watched it all in perplexed awe, unsure of how to combat the two phantoms. The fly-coated phantom screamed and dashed towards Tsukiakari. Bishamon quickly put himself in front of her, acting as her shield in the heat of the moment. Before he could reach them, the phantom was engulfed in the floating girl’s fire, immolating his entire body.  He cried out like a demon in pain, his white shroud burning away with the flies. The floating girl turned her crimson eyes towards Bishamon and Tsukiakari for a brief moment before she disappeared within her own flames, vanishing from the base.

The phantom of the flies lied naked and dead as the flames died down, the smoke rising from his body carrying the odor of scorched death. The fog began to clear from the base, and all of the flies turned into pathetic flakes of ash.

Tsukiakari stepped forth, eager to know who could’ve been so determined to kill her that he would come back from the dead.

“War will do that, Gekko.” Bishamon warned. “Even a goddess can make enemies. With enough hatred and conviction, some of them may even defy death to satisfy their thirst for revenge.”

Tsukiakari flipped the corpse over on its back. She instantly recognized the man’s face, as well as the horizontal wound slashed across his stomach. No matter the stage of decomposition, she would’ve recognized him anywhere.

“Masachika…Togashi?”

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 03, 2018, 04:21:38 AM »
Oh wow, you are a published writer now! Congrats!!

Facebook       Patreon

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 03, 2018, 09:26:20 PM »
I sure am  :thumbsup: Thank you very much

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 07, 2018, 04:46:57 AM »
EXCERPT OF THE DAY

This excerpt is from an improved version of the first draft's "Samsara" chapter. A preamble to the battle featured there is established here. Yoshihisa and Tomiko Ashikaga have found out that Tsukiakari was the one who helped the Ikko-ikki overthrow their friend, Masachika, in Kaga. Tsukiakari initially gathered her army in preparation for an Ashikaga attack in response to the village massacre, not realizing that they were mad about Masachika and didn't even know about the village yet.

The two sides find themselves sallying their armies out. Hoping to establish a dialogue with the obstinate Yoshihisa and Tomiko, Tsukiakari agrees to talk with them before the battle starts.

Communication Breakdown
Spoiler
Tsukiakari grabbed her men and raced south, towards the fluttering Ashikaga banner in the distance. Sure enough, Yoshihisa sat on top of his horse with Tomiko at his side, and his five men standing a safe distance behind him. Fully dressed in plates of iron armor, Yoshihisa dismounted his horse, standing in the middle of a field of swaying spearmint. Tomiko stood at his side, her body wrapped in a kimono as black as the vacuum of space. Tsukiakari stopped a short distance from them, dismounting with Mayumi. The Senkumo approached the Ashikaga, each of them resting their hands on the swords at their hips, as if all four of them were ready to cut each other down at any moment. The air between the four was serrated and tense, as if a showdown was taking place.

Yoshihisa removed his helmet, glancing at Tsukiakari with fury in his eyes. “And here I thought you could have allies in war. I’ve learned my lesson, Tsukiakari Senkumo. Every man is on his own in war.”

Tomiko stepped forth, spitting fire at the war goddess. “We know what you and your army of pretenders did in Kaga. Masachika explained everything in his final letter. He ciphered his writing, so that not even you could see what he was truly saying. You were outplayed. Serves you right.”

“Tomiko, Yoshihisa, I implore you both to see reason.” Tsukiakari warned, dressing it as a plea. “You are about to go to battle against a war goddess. No matter how angry you must be, no matter how vengeful you are, you have no hope of winning. We can still stop this and talk.”

“Talking is out of the question.” Tomiko declared. “You have two choices before you, Tsukiakari. You and your men can face our army in battle. Even if we’re fated to lose, we will make sure we kill as many of you as possible. Your other choice is surrender, in which case, we will only kill some of you.”

“This is insane, Tomiko!” Mayumi interjected. “The Senkumo clan had no knowledge of your relationship with Masachika! If we had known, we never would’ve taken the Ikko-ikki’s side!”

“The fact that you would aid the Ikko-ikki under any circumstance is reason enough to kill you regardless!” Yoshihisa hissed. “My father was under the impression that you had respect for the order that lords bring to unruly populations when you helped him end the Onin War. He believed the poison you poured into his ear. And now, everywhere you go in this country, war casts its crimson shadow. We all have you to thank for that.”

“This is your final offer.” Tomiko declared. “Surrender now and you will save the lives of most of your men. Do that, and we’ll consider your blood debt to be paid in full.”

Tsukiakari’s brows arched downwards as she grit her teeth. “You’re both making a big mistake. I sincerely apologize for killing your friend. I truly do. But if you insist on throwing your army at mine, I will do everything in my power to destroy you.”

Yoshihisa spit into the spearmint shrubs at his feet with a growl. “So be it. You and your clan of degenerates will rue the day you crossed the Ashikaga. One hundred twenty-thousand men await my command to crush you. Not even you can possibly kill them all before we kill you.”

Yoshihisa put his helmet back on and climbed back onto his saddle. Tomiko mounted her horse as well, both of them glaring daggers and arrows at Tsukiakari and Mayumi.

“Tomiko, Yoshihisa, you are going to regret this! Please, think about what you’re doing!” Mayumi begged.

“What a shame, for such a beautiful woman such as yourself to pledge your life to this warmongering mass-murderer.” Tomiko scorned. “Remember this day, girl. Remember the day your beloved god signed the death warrants of you and everyone you love. Being with her will bring you nothing but misery, nothing but darkness and rage. I would know.”

The Ashikaga spurred their horses and rode off to the south. It seemed a bitter, vitriolic battle was unavoidable now. If it was true that Yoshihisa managed to amass an army of one hundred twenty-thousand soldiers, it would mean that the Senkumo was outnumbered ten-to-one in an open-field battle. No elevated positions for their archers, no thick treelines for ambushers, no valleys to narrow their opponent’s forces, no cover for maneuvering and flanking. It would be a true battle of torn sinew and fragmented bones, where the side capable of the most violence and brutality would come out as the victor.

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 13, 2018, 03:18:00 PM »
Hey!

Hey!

HEY!

You can grab the Kindle version of Book of Blossoming for free!

But I can only do it for a few days at a time  :unsure: So, be sure to grab it before the 18th! Please enjoy  :clapping:

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 14, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »
Don't forget to snag yourself a FREE kindle version of Senkumo War Stories: Book of Blossoming! I can only keep it free until the 18th, and I won't be able to do it again for 90 days after that. Of course, the original is cheap anyway, but who doesn't love free stuff?  :clapping:

EXCERPT OF THE DAY

The human mind processes grief in fascinating ways. Some people can handle grief very well, but it's a different story for others. You may find your solace at the bottom of a bottle, or your mind may take you into the peaceful abyss of amnesia. For Inori Senkumo, her mind preferred to dissociate from her loss, and to dissociate from Inori Senkumo entirely. Upon realizing that Ayadachi Senkumo died in battle despite her best attempts to protect her, Inori began to believe that she was actually her lord and commander, Tsukiakari. Her memories scatter and rearrange themselves to accommodate this, burying the pain of losing Ayadachi all the while. But that pain comes out, unravelling like a ball of thread.

Just how much of this was real? How much of it was Inori's own consciousness trying to get her to accept what she lost?

A patient's diagnosis
Spoiler
The dying light of sunset crept through the medical ward's windows, streaking across her face. The medical ward had quieted down and became less frantic. The resulting quietude left Tsukiakari room to lose herself in a cloud of vague, draining thoughts. She sat there on the same seat she'd been at the whole day, as still a corpse.

Taeko emerged from her office and marched down the halls. Seeing Tsukiakari in the entrance hall, she stopped and sat down with her. The two remained silent for quite a while.

"I've assigned some of the nurses on counseling positions. At least one of our patients is going to need psychological assistance. She's going through some...odd symptoms." Taeko explained.

"What do you mean?"

"Her surviving teammates informed the nurse that her recollection of events during the battle are inconsistent. She either remembers things that didn't happen as if they did, or she doesn't remember things that actually did occur. She's also shown very few signs of emotional distress or grief."

Tsukiakari turned her head towards Taeko. "After everything she went through?"

"Yeah. Apparently, the teammates brought up the names of some of the deceased during their conversation. But...the patient recalls them as being alive. She insists they survived the battle, despite what everyone else is telling her. The nurses ultimately decided not to press the issue too much. The situation was too stressful for her teammates. They left her mementos from their late comrades in hopes they would jog her memory, but no luck yet."

"Do we know what's happening to her? Is she just in denial?"

"No, I don't think so. The doctors are certain she's not faking it or putting on an act. There's no signs she suffered any serious head injuries either. She's genuinely separated herself from her own experience. We're not entirely sure what to make of it yet. Her memories are all fragmented and altered, as if she's trying to protect herself from what she really went through."

Tsukiakari held her forehead in her hand. "Do we have any cases similar to this?"

"Nothing yet, but I'm certain plenty of the troops will need some sort of counseling, especially the younger ones. I'll have all the reports ready within a few days."

"Thank you, Taeko.”
Taeko got up from her seat, standing with her hands on her hip.

"Listen, Gekko..." she said, unable to look Tsukiakari in the eyes. "It's not your fault, okay?"

"I wished I believed that." Tsukiakari sighed.
Taeko turned around, patting Tsukiakari on the shoulder. "I'll be in our room. Don't stay here too long."
Taeko walked off, leaving Tsukiakari alone once more. For a moment, she almost wished she could switch places with the patient Taeko described. How nice it would've been, to be relieved of the burden of memory, to not have to confront or accept those horrors. It wasn't so easy for Tsukiakari to forget. There was nothing to protect her from her own experience, her own guilt.

And here's some Death by Ex-Girlfriend trivia for you

Where did Yoko get her "All-Knowing Kiss" From?
Spoiler
It's in the family! In the 6th arc, Letting Go, Yoko's mother, Manami, reveals that every female member of the Akiyama family has had an All-Knowing Kiss for centuries. This kiss originated in the family during the Warring States era, when many members of the Akiyama lost their children in war. Trapped in their grief, these women became Mu-Onna (Women of Naught), a type of Japanese ghost/spirit. Mu-Onna were said to be able to absorb information from they protected. The Kiss is a sort of mutation of that power that's been carried down the Akiyama family.

What is Izanami's more infamous nickname?
Spoiler
Izanami the Cruel

Izanami is one of the most gentle and loving characters in the entire story. It may or may not shock you that she has a very dark, very gruesome past. She earned the nickname Izanami the Cruel after an event known among the gods as The Affair of the Rat

Kagutsuchi, Izanami's daughter, was sealed inside of the sun after she killed her mother in childbirth. Centuries later, this seal wore off. She fell like a star and crashed down into Earth, landing in Western Europe in the 12th century, during the height of the Inquisition. Simply trying to find her way home, Kagu went around explaining that she was a goddess, which garnered the ire of the Inquisition. She was extradited to Rome, where she was burned at the stake for her crime, only for everyone to find out that she couldn't die.

Unable to kill Kagu, the Papacy de-constructed her body, leaving only her fiery spirit to wander around Earth. Kagu eventually found her way back to Japan in this form, during the Warring States era. Izanami and Amaterasu had been trying to negotiate Kagu's safe return home, but her execution greatly angered the two. After their final negotiations broke down, Izanami was gifted with a flea-ridden rat from the Papacy, a parting insult to the pale goddess. Exacting her revenge, Izanami cursed the flea-ridden rat and let it wander off.

The curse turned out to be bubonic plague, and that rat would go on to initiate a chain of infections that culminated in the Black Death. Thus, Izanami earned the nickname, Izanami the Cruel, for the unmatched evil she inflicted upon the human race.

Who Gave Osamu his Peace Sign and Male Symbol Necklaces?
Spoiler
Izanami did! Osamu tells the tale of his past to Hima Chinagaregawa in the 8th arc, The Corpse's Romance. He recalled a night he spent with Izanami, when the pale, shy goddess gifted him two necklaces befitting of someone living in the 60's. Amused by her out-of-touchness, Osamu gladly took the necklaces and wore them interchangeably throughout most of Death by Ex-Girlfriend, even on his dying day.

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 16, 2018, 02:58:36 PM »
EXCERPT OF THE DAY

Senkumo War Stories gets really dark. And I mean really dark. But the Senkumo clan wasn't always such a nightmare to be with. In the beginning, the atmosphere among the Senkumo was bright and triumphant. For instance, the day when the whole army surprised Gekko for her birthday  :clapping:

Source: Book of Blossoming

Happy Birthday To You!
Spoiler
It was early in the morning on May 31st, when the troops made it home, the sun just beginning to rise above the misty hills in the far distance. Everyone took a collective sigh of relief when they reached the main gates of the mansion, knowing they’d be able to rest soon and take some much needed, warm baths. Taeko stepped down from her horse, waving her sheathed blade in the air in view of the tower guards. ?      

“Hey! We’re all here! Open the gates!” Taeko shouted. ?      

“Lord Tsukiakari is back! Open the gates!” the tower guard relayed to his comrades.?    

Everyone could hear the chain of calls and responses beyond the walls until the wooden gates were pulled open by two armed guards. On top of her horse and wearing the black hood of her wooly cloak, Tsukiakari led the walk inside. Judging by its excited neighs and constant wagging of its tail against its snow-white skin, it seemed even her horse was glad to be back. ?      

“Welcome home, everyone!” Tsukiakari cheered. “I want each and every one of you to get some rest and a warm meal! You’ve earned it!” ?    

Her troops responded with thunderous cheers as they followed her inside the mansion, but their cheers died down into silence as they all filled in through the gates. Everyone came to a complete standstill as they were greeted by a wall of armored Senkumo soldiers blocking their way, each of them tightly holding spears against the ground with their polished, gleaming blades pointed skyward. ?      

“What the hell is going on?” Taeko questioned with worry. ?    

Tsukiakari dismounted her horse with her hand wrapped firmly around her sheathed blade, her sandals crunching in the dirt and tiny rocks of the field grounds. She was utterly confused as to why her own troops formed an armored wall against her. Mutiny? An internal coup? A protest of sorts? ?    

But to her surprise, the spearmen before her all knelt on one knee in perfect, rehearsed synchrony. All of them removed their helmets, revealing their smiling faces just before they took a large, collective breath. Together, the men and women shouted so that all of Earth and Heaven could hear them. ?      

“Happy birthday, Tsukiakari!”?    

No words could describe the flustered, tomato-colored shock on Tsukiakari’s face as she was suddenly bombarded by cheers and hugs from her female recruits, and raised-weapon salutes from the males. Mayumi and Ebina, sharing a horse together, both erupted into tear-inducing laughter. The Otonougi twins, wearing the biggest smiles on their faces, playfully roughed up Tsukiakari’s hair with their fingertips, encouraging her to step forward. Laughter, being as contagious as it was, spread all around the base.?    With her beautiful brown hair let down and her glittering hazel eyes fixated on her lord, Ayadachi stepped through the cheering crowd with a large wooden tray in her hands, bearing an assortment of manju and daifuku made especially for Tsukiakari. She too knelt on one knee, her hair swaying over one of her eyes in the breeze. ?      

“Happy Birthday, Gekko! From the Senkumo clan to you!” Ayadachi proudly proclaimed. ?      
“Wait a minute, who told you about my birthday?! Who sold me out?!” ?      

“Guilty!” Taeko admitted with a raised hand. “I know you don’t like surprises, but I just had to! I told the men your birthday was coming up before we arrived in Kaga. Kept them motivated to stay alive!” ?      

“Go ahead and try them, Gekko!” Mayumi encouraged. ?    

Everyone, especially the younger, prepubescent girls in the crowd, watched with laser-focus, some of them riding on the shoulders of the taller males to get a good view. ?      

“T-thank you very much, everybody.” the war goddess stuttered. ?

She took one of the manju presented, taking that first, soft, sweet bite into it. Tsukiakari hadn’t had manju in so long. She almost forgot what it tasted like. But that particular batch...it was made with love.?

“Question.” Tsukiakari said with her mouth full. ? 

“Y-yes, my lord?” Ayadachi asked nervously. ?

Expecting harsh critique of the manju, everyone’s hearts laid in deep suspense, the blood flowing through their chest feeling like it had gone as cold as ice. Just how was their lord going to react to this? ?   

At last, Tsukiakari spoke. “Would you think ill of me if I ate all of these in one night?” ?

Proving to be much more lighthearted than anyone thought, Tsukiakari got a collective chuckle from her cheering troops, smiling at Ayadachi for all of her efforts. ?   

“Not at all! Eat away! And again, happy birthday!” ?   

“Save some for me, you glutton!” Taeko demanded. ?

“I would like some too. Manju was not a very common sight back home.” Ebina briefly explained. ? 

"I call first serve on the daifuku!” Mayumi declared.?      

“There’s no need!” Ayadachi assured. “I made enough for everyone! Stop being so competitive!” 

While the base erupted in celebration, Tsukiakari waved towards Chiya and Yachi, signaling them to approach. They did so and leaned in so she could speak into their ears.

“I need you two to get Ebina into the medical ward. She has an injury that needs to be looked at. Summon Bishamon after that, please.”

The twins nodded. They immediately pulled Ebina away from the crowd, carrying her towards the medical ward. Exhausted from the battle and needing the rest anyway, Ebina went with them without incident.

Time is running out, folks!

Get it? He's running. It's cute.

BUT ANYWAY TIME IS RUNNING OUT

Please be sure to grab yourself a Free Kindle copy of Senkumo War Stories before its back to $2.99. Save that cash for a Twix bar or something! Remember to click the "Buy Now For Free" button and not Read for Free. The latter is a Kindle Unlimited thing, which you have to pay for. The former is literally a $0.00 purchase.

Weird how that's set up, innit? It's almost as if Amazon is deliberately misleading you...lying to you with those big ol' buttons...purposefully confusing you...discombobulating your brain cells... *X-Files theme plays*

There's only...what, one or two days left? Get it now! You can die at any moment!

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
Re: Death By Ex-Girlfriend (Senkumo War Stories PUBLISHED)
« Reply #434 on: October 17, 2018, 03:40:32 PM »
Alright, today's the last day Book of Blossoming will be free! Get it while you still can. Thanks to everyone checking it out! Nearly 100 downloads in just the past three days  :ohmy: