March 22, 2019, 12:31:17 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Manga with awesome, detailed art.  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
Manga with awesome, detailed art.
« on: February 06, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
Can you guys recommend me manga with some really mind-blowing art. Kind of like a lot of the art on Berserk.

Is there any kind of trick or shortcut to make super great looking, detailed art quickly? (Other than just spending a ton of time on it)

These are some examples of what I mean:

Berserk in general has a lot of awesome art like that. The kind of art that makes you go "WOW" because all the textures on everything are so detailed and well done.  Did the artist just spent a ridiculous amount of time on the piece or is there maybe some way to apply those textures and give this kind of look to your art without a massive time investment?

And what is some other good manga with amazing art like that?

Facebook       Patreon

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Manga with awesome, detailed art.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:03:51 AM »
I'd imagine he uses pre-made textures of some sort, or at the very least has some sort of short hand texture indication system, from which he hands it off to what is probably a small army of assistants to fill in

To test that latter theory, I'd do some side by side comparisons from his very earliest work, to what he's putting out today, and take note of the difference

As for other super detailed manga, I don't know of anything on beserks level, but Jojo's bizarre adventure is higher on the scale ( also just fantastic to boot) although most of its details go into the characters, rather than literally everything

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 01:28:34 PM »
Anything by Oh! Great. Tenjou tenge and Air Gear. Though it's more clean than hand drawn.

Ganz as well is amazing. You know he's using 3d models but this goes beyond the normal grain. The dude pulled out all the steps. There's still a weird sense of stiffness to some things but the sheer work is mind blowing.

And then there's Akira. I am still ashamed I find the story mind-numbingly boring. One day when I can adult better I'll be able to understand it maybe

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 03:27:46 PM »
quite a few mangas have really detailed buildings/cities/backgrounds, which i really like.
one thing that escapes me a lot of the time because of the way i draw is that if you spend more time drawing something, you have the time to add lots of details.
As Coryn said, most manga of that level are most likely not made by just one person, and they have assistants who ink the sketches, but also add a lot of the details with their own skill. some assistants go on to produce their own work, and because of working with the main artist, their art often has similarities to the artist they assisted.
but like the most of us, if you are on your own , you really just have to spend a lot of time practicing to get good, and then a lot of time on each picture to actually add that level of detail.
3D models have come a long way, and they are becoming easier to seamlessly add to manga, especially backgounds. i know of a couple of manga that use 3d backgrounds, which take time to design the first time, but save time when used again and again.
there is no shortcut other than effort really though.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other
Manga: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft
Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline han ki-tae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 10:30:31 AM »
Vagabond. I love their at.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 02:37:09 PM »
Practice and muscle memory after some point make it a little bit faster, but it's still time consuming. Miura does a lot of it on his own, and it's rumored that his assistants don't help that much, which I kind of doubt  :hmm:

Anyways, he uses a combination of screentones and hand-drawn detail. Any subtle white/gray detail are background fx screentones. He also uses those to add texture to the dragons' diamond shards.

He scrapes out gray/dark gray screentones to create gradients. The light/blue-green areas are where he put the gray screentone. The darkblue is where he scraped out to create highlights. The red is the background sfx tones
Spoiler

To employ this kind of technique with pencil art you can shade your grays/whites and then draw your blacks after. But of course you won't be able to get those sharp black lines easily with a pencil.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »
Practice and muscle memory
and also efficiency, in other words if you can draw the same character using half the guidelines , you saved time. also a good workflow can save time if you stop switching back and forth between pencils/pens/digital tools.
but you need a fair amount of experience to do that. ive been noticing that i have been using less guidelines, and i can draw them a lot more confidently now.

if you look closely at impressive art, with a bit of practice, you can work out the order they drew it and the techniques used, and often, its quite a simple process, just because of the level of detail, it looks insanely good.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other
Manga: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft
Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline han ki-tae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 10:20:39 PM »
Hi,

here are some pages of the one I was talking about Walter.

Spoiler

When I first read your story, i imagined it in this style. :)

HKT
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:23:09 PM by han ki-tae »