October 22, 2018, 08:05:14 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Tool Recommendations?  (Read 965 times)

Offline Honeydew544t

• View Profile
Tool Recommendations?
« on: February 04, 2016, 12:42:16 AM »
Bonjour!
I've been drawing off and on for a few months now, and a few friends have approached me with some ideas for a comic. (They'd be the writers, and I'd be the artist)
My problem is that the old mechanical pencil and ruler just aren't cutting it anymore, especially since I've been expanding my horizon a bit.
Now, I know that art tools are a matter of preference, and I'll have to find stuff I work well with, of course.
I'm just wondering if I can have some starting recommendations.
I haven't got a huge budget, so I would greatly appreciate recommendations that aren't TOO expensive.

Anyways, onto the stuff I'm looking for:
A good set of pencils
A pen/set of pens (as I've heard working with ink forces more deliberate strokes)
A small, easy to carry container (I tend to do more drawing on the go. At school, and such)
Really any other tools one would recommend

And also, I tend to hear kneading erasers are pretty good. Any thoughts on that?

Anyways, just to reiterate, nothing over-the-top, please. Doesn't have to be fancy, just something to start with.
Thank you in advance!

Offline Honeydew544t

• View Profile
Re: Tool Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 12:45:52 AM »
I also have heard that this eight or so set of pens, Pigma Micron, are pretty good. Any thoughts on that, too?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:13:49 AM by Honeydew544t »

Offline syrin.lune

• *just another hobby artist*likes to lurk*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 08:57:07 PM »
Oh well, I don't think you need lots of pencils.
Just a 0.5 mechanical pencil with the right lead is all you need.
Depending on how much pressure you use you go for B (less pressure), HB or H (more pressure) leads. Though
I think there are great differences depending on the manufacturer, you have to find your favorite^^

As for good AND affordable pens I recommend Faber Castell's ECCO Pigment fineliners :3
The ink is reeeally black and won't fade after erasing...like the ink of Copic's Multiliners for example.
For real fine lines, Neopiko 0.05 and 0.03 fineliners are great, too.

Kneading erasers are actually made for coal chalk drawings, they don't erase pencil that well. Better
go for a PVC-free eraser or so, but once again you have to find your favorite among them :<>

Offline Miska

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 08:07:44 AM »
I also have heard that this eight or so set of pens, Pigma Micron, are pretty good. Any thoughts on that, too?

Microns (they come in sets of 6) aren't bad choice, but they do fade a bit if you erase over them. Deleter's Neopiko liners also fade, but not so much as Microns. Fading shouldn't be a problem if you ink by tracing on a clean paper, but if you ink directly on top of your sketch, you might want to think twice before buying Neopikos or Microns.
Inking with g-pen would be propably cheapest choice, and if you have time/motivation to learn it, i would definitely suggest it. It's also easier to achieve more professional looking art with g-pen (though it's not impossible on liners/microns either; i know Hiroaki Samura uses microns for inking his manga).

(sorry for bumping old-ish thread, it just seems like no one ever mentions that Microns do fade; this was bit of a shock for me when i used them for the first time since many people suggest them for inking  ::))