March 29, 2024, 01:03:46 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Chat Chat 2016  (Read 265157 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Chat Chat 2016
« Reply #1095 on: July 07, 2016, 06:45:30 PM »
Indeed. I hear that comedians are the most depressed people because they know the worst of humanity and co.

I also happened to learn the etymology of a popular swear word... That rhymes with buck. Apparently it comes from battering rams? Need to confirm.

Offline Upliftcomix

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 08, 2016, 02:07:45 AM »
Indeed. I hear that comedians are the most depressed people because they know the worst of humanity and co.

I also happened to learn the etymology of a popular swear word... That rhymes with buck. Apparently it comes from battering rams? Need to confirm.

I read somewhere the buck rhyme used to mean "screw it" first and then came to mean "sex" and was no longer OK for kids to say.
"Step three: Profit!" -Underpants Gnomes

Offline LittRL

• Crush the strong, crush the weak.
  • Nothing a little duct tape can't fix.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 08, 2016, 12:01:25 PM »
From a Google search:
Spoiler
early 16th century: of Germanic origin (compare Swedish dialect focka and Dutch dialect fokkelen ); possibly from an Indo-European root meaning ‘strike,’ shared by Latin pugnus ‘fist.’

Though apparently the definitive etymology is uncertain because the word's usage dates back to as early as the 1300's.

My own favourite thing about the word though is that in a Linguistics class I took taught (forgot what it was called) us how to use it properly in things like:
Spoiler
Hilarious>Hi-*ucking-larious is correct whereas Hilar-*ucking-ious is wrong. Another example being Fantastic>Fan-*ucking-tastic.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: July 08, 2016, 12:39:28 PM »
Oh wow, to think that I knew that by default but that people actually studied it in linguistics haha.

The Dutch dialect sounds like some gangster or something haha

Offline LittRL

• Crush the strong, crush the weak.
  • Nothing a little duct tape can't fix.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: July 08, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »
Well most people who know the word anyways know how to use it properly, it's really just a certain rhythm, but learning it (but having forgotten the name) was definitely one of the more amusing things about the English language I've come across.

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: July 08, 2016, 11:12:07 PM »
This is actually pretty fascinating.
http://graphics.wsj.com/blue-feed-red-feed/

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: July 09, 2016, 09:18:08 AM »
So last night at about seven something in the evening, a huge thunderstorm hit and about 2,500 people in my county lost power because of the electricity monopoly. It was out for about five hours, so it cut back on sometime after midnight. Boy do I have a lot of catching up to do here on the forum.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: July 09, 2016, 11:23:55 AM »
Edit: So there were sixty thousand people who lost power because of the same thunderstorm in the county next door, and winds so strong people thought a tornado hit my college town because half of an apartment roof blew off, and all I can think is:
THOR, ODIN'S SON, PROTECTOR OF MANKIND!
RIDE TO MEET YOUR FATE,
YOUR DESTINY AWAITS.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline MissChurro

• ~Queen of Kawaii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: July 10, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »
I just returned from Atlanta last night! I went there to see the Got7 concert, and it was amazing! It was my first ever concert (yeah, I'm late to the party...) so the screaming and such was overwhelming at first, but I quickly got used to it and it was so worth it. 3 hours of performance, plus my sister and I had hi-touch included in our level of tickets so we got to attend that at the end (for those who don't know, hi-touch is essentially when you get to have a short interaction with each member, so you get to speak with them for a second and high five/shake their hands) and at first I thought it was a little silly, like why pay extra just to high five them for a second before getting pushed away by security guards? But boy, was I wrong... that was incredible and totally worth it. :ohmy: I high fived six of them and shook hands with one, and they all looked me straight in the eyes and thanked me for coming and showing my support. Being up close and personal with them was so surreal, and the genuine gratitude they showed each fan was so touching! I'll definitely never forget this experience.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:24:55 AM by MissChurro »

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: July 10, 2016, 11:26:18 AM »
Welcome back Churro, we have made some changes on the forum the past few days (emails and signatures)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: July 10, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »
Just remember if you get famous and ever do a book signing, someone might think the same about you.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 10, 2016, 07:56:20 PM »
The neighbours are listening to Bruno Mars

So far "Just The Way You Are" has played twice

Help.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: July 10, 2016, 08:02:10 PM »
Mom has the radio playing in the kitchen. I don't mind the music that's playing on it, but she can't hear out of one ear so it's just too damn loud. She knows I have issues with loud noises due to a condition too, and I was going to ask a question but I physically cannot leave my room. It's quite frustrating.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 10, 2016, 08:46:09 PM »
Yep, I'm half deaf too so volumes a problem. I try to be aware of it though, so i use headphones when i can and have subtitles on the tv so its not too loud if its late. My voice is probably the biggest issue. I can't really regulate how loud i am cuz I dont really hear myself. So when i talk or laugh, I'm pretty loud! (Im sure nobody notices ;) )

Also...Welcome back Churro! :D Sounds like you've been on some adventures as of late?

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: July 10, 2016, 08:59:47 PM »
See I haven't realised this on the show but now that you said it all I'm going to think is "wow Vacant really does talk loudly".