August 20, 2019, 02:56:04 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: How would one go about describing an Asylum building?  (Read 663 times)

Offline Sincerest-Wish

• View Profile
How would one go about describing an Asylum building?
« on: December 24, 2015, 07:15:29 AM »
In my story, I want to describe what my character sees when she gazes at a building from afar, without completely giving away that its an Asylum. I don't really know much about architecture. What would you call some common features on buildings like this?
sundae-at-home.tumblr.com

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: How would one go about describing an Asylum building?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 11:22:07 AM »
well, that really depends on how old the building is going to be. there are several different architectual styles that pervaded during different time periods. Most times though they were built like hospitals, and set back from other bits of civiliations. so you'd probably have fences or walls and gates. Then you'd end up with a long driveway and the grounds themselves would also likely be heavily forested, since trees serve as a good visual block.

for the building itself, it'd likely have a series of wings, or it'd be a series of different buildings to deal with the different patient types (again, depending on age. in older times they'd just cram all the 'crazies' into one big building)

there'd also probably be a definite entrance in the center of the building. like the lobby of a hotel

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MisterSherbetLemon

• The MangaRaiders Political Correctness Enforcer...Ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 03:02:19 PM »
When I was 15 me and a group of friends investigated an abandoned asylum, it was creepy as hell. If you're going for modern day asylum give me a PM and I can give you a few details on how it was. For older buildings you may be better looking up images yourself.

Alternatively, watch a youtube video of someone playing the beginning of the game Outlast which takes place in a mental asylum, the atmosphere approaching the building is pretty good and the architecture is accurate. Can only describe the atmosphere of that moment and my own experience as "Aw f*** that" moments haha.

Offline Jackhammer

• Propagator of unusual plot lines. Master out-of-context.
  • I am me. Are you you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »
You could try finding inspiration in Colonial, Neoclassical or Jugend style architecture.
Health is a relative thing.