March 29, 2024, 12:34:35 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Poll

Which Project/Idea do you like the most?

Project: Artifact
0 (0%)
Idea: 'Shadow'
0 (0%)
Project: 'Vortex'
0 (0%)
Idea: 'Shatter'
0 (0%)
Idea: 'Illusion'
0 (0%)
Project: 'Ghost'
0 (0%)
Project: 'Swordsman'
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Hope4Future's Projects  (Read 4496 times)

Offline Hope4Future

• Future Writer
  • "Ryujin no ken o kurae!"
    • View Profile
Hope4Future's Projects
« on: December 05, 2015, 08:40:07 PM »
hello everyone

my name is Kevin and welcome to my archive. down below is several examples of my attempted, completed, and very new projects that each gives an idea on what it is about. unfortunately, i always plan my stories from top to bottom and everything in between before i do any actual writing, so i won’t have much to offer but i will do my best to post what i have to share with everyone. because of this: i never named any of my characters, simply because it never had any purpose within my stories (not to mention I’m terrible with names and I’d rather just have someone else give them). instead, i use a number system by labeling certain characters with a specific number based on their appearance and their role (ex: main character(s) are usually within 1 - 10; even the main villain could have a low number if he/she has an important role in the story), nevertheless i will be sure to summarize each character with their number; I may also include a letter next to their number if there are multiple of the same character (ex: 'Vortex'). lastly, whatever i have posted here may not be everything toward the projects, but I’ll post what i can.

(please do not copy any of these without permission!)

Active Projects

these are projects that i have put my main focus on and intent to submit chapter after chapter until completed. there should be links for more detail about each of them and their chapters, if not then expect to see them shortly.

Project: Shadow (a short series)

link: http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,16214.0.html

Genres: Drama, Psychological, Super Power, Supernatural

Spoiler
Setting:
in the modern day world, the evolution of mankind has yet to see any changes within their existing DNA for centuries, some might wonder if that's still true. as of the twenty-first century, very few had begun to notice changes that had suddenly been developed, these 'changes' were believed to be that of supernatural abilities.

humans, with a very minor change in their DNA, have gradually taken a new turn in the study of evolution, thus creating a new form of humans with this particular change. reports of these new humans have been seen little by little, rumored to have abilities that normally wouldn't apply to the rest of mankind; from a minor increase of physical appearance to that of a psychological level. these new humans and their abilities only exist by the 'discovery' of their hidden talents, which under the realization 'unlocks' their ability. once discovered, only then can a new breed of humans exist alongside mankind.

during this time, the discovery of these new humans had become more than just rumors or myths as few have shown themselves to the world of what they were capable of, which meant taking the necessary measures to control this outbreak.

ever since the first 'discovery' had been claimed, the government had taken wind of their current situation, realizing that if more were to breed then the original human race may very well cease to exist. scientific research began and these humans with this change, whether they knew it or not, were to be taken in quietly for investigation on how their abilities work. the government kept a tight lid on the situation, hoping to hide the horrifying truth from the public, so whenever a 'strange' occurrence took place they were redirected to the government scientists that specialized in this category by the public authorities.

however, since this phenomenon was still a new and rising occurrence, the current staff of scientists to these government buildings have yet to discover a more accurate way of measuring or even understanding these abilities, which lead them to perform ungodly experiments whenever the occasion called for it.

these new humans had lived in fear of being taken away from their families and forced into a secluded enclosure to a life of experimentation ... or at least until one day, when someone, or rather something, made their escape ...

Summary:
a teenage boy who had discovered his latent abilities at a young age, Ryan, spends his days in hiding from society with his 'imaginary friend.' not only does he avoid the government, in which they try to recapture him, but from the people in general, for his ability was that of fear itself. his 'imaginary friend' that he commonly refers to as Shadow is a shadowy creature that cannot be seen by the naked eye, except by Ryan alone, rather he can only be seen inside of people's dreams. because of his appearance, Shadow was always seen as a nightmare to people, which had often led Ryan to be the prime suspect behind these nightmares that they would see.

as Ryan had already spent a large amount of time as an outcast, he is one day visited by a woman named Rose who also has an ability of her own. she is determined to reintroduce Ryan to the outside world and live the normal life amongst society he had dreamt for so long ... but how long would this dream of his last?

Notes: specifically, this idea originally came from a 'dream' I once had involving a 'shadowy creature,' which I since then intended to make it a reality of just how scary these 'shadowy creatures' that exist within our dreams can be. that doesn't necessarily make this project a horror themed one, but it may imply that in some cases, my only intention is to tell a story about a loner and his 'imaginary friend.'

now I intend to make this project a light novel (even though I have little to no experience in this category) but for the time being, until I complete the story at least, I will write the early version in script form. any tips you could imply on how to write a light novel, or even comments about the story itself, are highly appreciated.

current progress: working on Chapter 1 at the moment, I'm still trying to put it all together before I post it here.

latest update: 5/16/2016

Project: Artifact

Link: http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,15329.0.html

Genres: action, (comedy), drama, (sci-fi), super power

Spoiler
Summary
a college student, whose had lived a nearly perfect life, encounters a mysterious individual who saved him from being mugged by using a new ability not known to humanity. after discovering his strange ability, by using a gauntlet with silver material and a weird gem on it that the stranger referred to as an 'Artifact,' he later confronts the stranger and uses an Artifact of his own to defend him against another Artifact user. the two of them then work together and form a team that would collect these Artifacts in order to protect humanity. each Artifact, with its own individual power and abilities, grants the person whoever wields them certain supernatural powers as if it were their own abilities. nevertheless, several people who also use these Artifacts eventually become so greedy by their own power that they would crave more ... which may include some of our newly found heroes.

Characters: (may contain spoilers)
(some characters might not have names yet)

1) John (“Johnny”)
sex: male
role: primary protagonist. fights for justice.
personality traits: overconfident, sense of justice, practical
artifact: super strength - chest piece
additional facts: believes that the Artifacts would make himself, as well as his allies, into superheroes to fight crime.

2) Kalvin
role: primary protagonist. created a team of Artifact users to collect Artifacts as well as defeat his rivals; that also have Artifacts. fights for himself.
personality traits: stubborn, independent, fierce
artifact: rock manipulation - right gauntlet
additional facts: lived in the slums before Judgment Day. offend prefers to do things his own way.

3) Jessie
sex: female
role: addition protagonist. fights to expose the governments corruption, who have been studying the Artifacts and their abilities, because she believes that they would use them as part of a conspiracy theory.
personality traits: impulsive, aggressive, independent
artifact: fire creation - right glove
additional facts: very commonly argues with Kalvin when he questions her judgment.

4) Melissa
role: additional protagonist. John's girlfriend. mainly joined the team to protect him from any danger he might get into.
personality traits: shy, caring, fearful
artifact: force field - red ring (it does more but is mainly used to create force fields; it also creates blasts and waves of plasma)
additional facts: never actually fights throughout the series unless John was in some sort of danger (if so, only on occasions depending on the situation).

7) Daniel (“Danny”)
role: primary antagonist.
personality traits: smart, manipulative, diplomatic
artifact: unknown
additional facts:

8 ) Nickname: Calypso (her real name is unknown)
role: secondary antagonist. a fellow team member of Daniel's team; their spy.
personality traits: very secretive
artifact: camouflage/disguise - mask
additional facts: she has never once taken off her mask in public.

10) Serenity
role: supporting antagonist. a fellow team member in Daniel's team.
personality traits: cold-hearted
artifact: ice creation - left glove
additional facts: constantly tries to prove to others how powerful she is. often attempts to get the fire glove as well to use their combined power; but since Jessie stole it first, she intends to kill her because of that alone.

11) Michael (“Mike”)
personality traits: ?
artifact: water manipulation - (left gauntlet)
additional facts: seeks revenge towards Kalvin.

12) William
personality traits: ?
artifact: electricity - shock collar
additional facts: ?

Artifact Summary
they are a new form of technology that allows whoever wears or holds them to grant extraordinary powers and abilities, but this technology is far different than the technology currently existed. in this story, they were believed to be found at the slums after an event known as 'Judgment Day' occurred, that was caused by a strange explosion in the sky and falling debris, they were found amongst the debris with no origin of their existence. each artifact is made out a strange silver metal that is not familiar with the current metals and with it contains a gem that holds their power. lastly, their metal shape changes to match the users size and fit perfectly.

Artifact List of Powers and Pieces:
super strength - chest piece

rock manipulation - right gauntlet

fire creation - right glove

force field (w/ plasma involved; could use more examples though) - red ring

super speed - boots

flight - back piece (expands and transforms into silver wings)

absorbs energy like rays and similar sources (ex: fire, electricity, laser, etc.) and can destroy other Artifacts (Artifacts can only be destroyed by this and no other objects; its a strong metal that isn't like other metals) - sword

telekinesis - helmet

ice creation - left glove

time travel (only time, not space) - watch

grants and steals life source - green ring

invisibility, camouflage, and disguise - mask

electricity creation - neck piece/shock collar

resistance/impenetrable - shield (not even the sword can destroy this)

grow and shrinks self - full body armor suit

sonic/high frequency noise - mouth piece

absorbing and enhancing rage/anger - amulet/necklace

darkness; particularly absorbing peoples shadows and manipulating them in a form of cloudy darkness as well as making themselves stronger based on how much they absorb - cape/cloak

x-ray vision (could also detect powerful sources, including Artifacts) - glasses

controls people by absorbing their souls and using them to make the user more powerful - scythe

manipulate water - (left gauntlet)

predicting the future and past events - (globe?)

negation of energy sources within its blast range for a short time - a small sphere; slightly smaller baseball size

persuasion - book

laser - ?

love manipulation - ?

controlling and communicating with animals; possibly animal like characteristics (not planning on having any of those she-cat clichés but if so then only for a short time) - ?

illusion/hallucination - coin

manipulating metal; similar to the rock but less consistent - ?

teleportation - ?

intelligence - ?

duplication; creates copies of the user that will be weak depending on the number of copies - ?

energy transfer; converts energy and strength to another target by draining from themselves or gaining energy by draining from the target - (telescope?)

telepathy; mind reading and communication within the mind involving the user - ?

manipulate wind and air - ?

improved hearing - ?

improved sense of smell - ?

manipulate wood - ?

fear (enhancer or manipulator) - ?

sadness (enhancer) - ?

happiness (enhancer) - ?

(plant manipulation) - ?

(copying) - ?

(super agility) - ?

(causes objects to detonate by touch) - ?

(generates a blinding light) - ?

(transformation?) - ?

(improved taste?) - ?

(infinite chain) - chain (within a small cylinder)

Notes: this project is my current masterpiece and I’ve been working on it a lot. it has great potential as a long-term story but may end eventually unless i come up with more ideas to prolong it. the first few chapters are posted at the link above.

also, i mainly need help coming up with new Artifact powers/abilities and other pieces (they are the objects made from the strange material that can be worn or held in order to wield their given abilities), if any new ideas besides the ones on the list above or even in addition to their current abilities I would greatly appreciate it. (Update: actually, i think i got enough power ideas for now, what i really need are ideas for the pieces; ex: glove, ring, staff, mirror, lantern, etc)

current process: Prologue Chapter 1 is finished (click here to see). Chapter 6 is still in progress.

latest update: 3/8/2016

Potential Projects

in short, these are ideas I've had that i couldn't decide whether i should take the opportunity to work on them or just continue with my active projects. so I've decided to post a short summary for each them here and see what other people think of them; if one of these are likeable enough then i'll change it as an active project and put more work into it.

Super Powered Ideas
Spoiler
below is a list of potential short stories that each involve newly discovered humans that can wield strange abilities. each of them are within the same universe but from different points of time, some events which may affect a different story altogether.

Idea: 'Shatter'
Spoiler
Summary: in a developing world, where the normal life was a given before it became a need, a new breed of human life began to take place that may change things drastically. these new humans are born with a rare possibility to gain supernatural powers, they however can only be brought out by awareness and their discoveries are inconvenient. because of this, they are a rare species that have yet to be discovered by the rest of mankind.

this tells the story of a 16 year old girl who although had lived a normal life with a loving family and friends, had discovered her hidden abilities that changed her life forever. her abilities of 'shatter' cause a pressure to nearby objects during times of emotional stress and if applied with enough force could be broken. because of this, she tries to keep in her emotions in check but as life takes a toll on her for the worst, she may inexplicitly use her powers of destruction if pushed too far.

Notes: lately, I've been interested in creating the 'superpower' kind of world and developed a handful of ideas of stories that the late heroes may endure. this story tells the hardship of accepting these newly given powers of hers and how she chooses to uses it. she is someone who normally lives her life in bliss, even though the toll of life often wears her down, but once discovering her power she slowly becomes vengeful as she abuses her abilities to get her way in life.

Idea: 'Illusion'
Spoiler
Summary: one day, a man gets arrested after committing murder in bright daylight and is sentenced to execution because of it but he pleads innocent because of what he saw made him kill those people. when nobody believed in his story, he uses his one phone call to call his brother, who is a detective from another city, in hopes he can prove him innocent. the detective helps out his brother because of his clean record and with no motive towards killing the innocent people, there was the possibility of a higher power at stake.

due to such a wild suggestion of someone else making people hallucinate and kill innocent people was far to crazy for anyone else to assist them, but the he was determined. as the detective believes he may be onto something and after being so close to home with the case, will he be able to believe the truth he finds? will his own mind become lost by such an ability? how will the brothers tell reality and hallucinations apart?

Notes: this idea centers around the concept of a greater threat than what meets the eye. this could be a 2-sided story: mainly from the detectives perspective but also from the brothers, who is currently in jail. even idk who the person responsible is at this point but i believe there's a lot of potential involved if i were to add an interesting cast of suspects. its mainly a mystery but with a supernatural flavor put into it.

Idea: 'Shadow'  {the actual page is posted above ^ }
Spoiler
Summary: a guy becomes an outcast to society when realizing that his powers are only meant to scare and torment people, forcing him to remaining in hiding. his power, 'shadow,' allows him to communicate with a dark creature that can only be seen within peoples minds but because he appears as a scary figure, that causes everyone around him to be horrified of the guy since he is believed to be the source of it. this creature he calls Shadow is believed to be his only friend because they are able to communicate with each other outside his mind.

one day, a girl with a supernatural ability of her own finds him and wishes to help bring him back into society. even after discovering Shadow, she intends to take the necessary actions to help him live his life ... although Shadow may not agree with her, as they soon realize just how scary Shadow really is.

Notes: after seeing a shadowy figure of my own in a 'dream' of mine, i felt this might be the perfect opportunity to bring him to life as the dark and mischievous creature he really is. i intend Shadow to be the symbolic version as the dark creature typically seen in people 'dreams' and put a story together with it as a supernatural ability, which might be different than the usually 'shadowy' or 'dark' abilities normally seen in these kinds of stories.

Idea: (?)
still working in progress

Idea: (?)
still working in progress

Bonus Idea
when i came up with some of these idea, part of me wanted to join them together as one; by which i mean combining several of these short stories into another short story where they all collaborate as a team of amateur heroes. the story is still being thought out but the concept would make it quite interesting and it will even include an ability I've come with that has never been seen before (or at least to my knowledge). it too with be a short stories and possibly the last appearances of the characters, one from each series, as they leave their mark in the world for what they are.

this is still hypothetical and may take forever (i mean, after finishing the other short series) but if the mentioned super powered short stories were at least finished then they would be good enough on their own, this is only a bonus idea after all.

Idea: 'The Circus Comes to Town!' (temporary name) or nickname: 'Circus'
Spoiler
Summary: {coming soon!}

Notes: {coming soon!}

Inactive Projects

projects that i once had interest in but died out due to lack of inspiration, content, and/or interest. these fallen projects of mine can always come back if i choose to or have developed something to change or add to it, but otherwise i wont attempt to work on these in comparison to my active or potential projects. if anyone wants to suggest something to make any of these stories worth working on then i would love to hear it. some of these projects might be canceled in the future if it comes to it.

Project: 'Vortex'

Genres: comedy, sci-fi

Spoiler
Summary
a guy attempts to ask out the girl of his dreams but fails to do so. years later, after wondering what might have been if he had asked her out, he accidentally finds a vortex that allows him to travel to different dimensions. without noticing any change he goes about his daily routine but as he starts to notice some changes, he meets an uexpected person ... himself. together they discovered the weird phenomeon behind their encounterment but when he finds out that his alternative self is dating his crush, he sudgest that they should continue to see each other and even temporarily swaping places. eventually, after noticing his strange behavior, his crush from the original dimension finds out about the portal by following him. as other people find the vortex as well and after he constantly travels from dimension to dimension, the vortex starts to collapse within itself; forcing him to straighten out the situation he caused.

Characters: (this also includes their dimension counterparts)
{1A}
role: finds the portal to alternative dimensions
common personality traits: practical
individual personality traits: impulsive, immature

{1B}
individual personality traits: hard-working, intelligent

{2A}
role: {1}'s crush/girlfriend
common personality traits: independent, determined
individual personality traits: sometimes bossy,

{2B}
individual personality traits: polite, friendly

{3A}
role: {1}'s best friend/old friend
common personality traits: social
individual personality traits: hyperactive

{3B}
individual personality traits: shy

notes: its pretty self-explanatory for people that would meet themselves with plenty hilarious situations. i do plan on adding more dimensions instead of just two, maybe four at max, as well as the additional versions of the main characters; if any general ideas with possible personalities, I’d love to hear them.

current progress: editing story. working on Chapter 1.

latest update: 2/13/16

Project: 'Ghost'

Genres: (drama), (magic), mystery, psychological, supernatural

Spoiler
Summary
a struggling high school student begins the school year after his mom had passed away during the summer. while being depressed by his lousy life, his life gets more complicated when he finds a necklace lying around ... only to discover what it holds. later that same night he sees the ghost of his fellow classmate, who was also his assigned tutor, but only when he held the necklace. after they discover that the necklace's gem holds her recently deceased soul captive and preventing her from going to heaven, they work together in order to figure out how to release her soul.

Characters:
{1}
role: main protagonist
personality traits: uncertain, nervous

{2}
role: ghost trapped in the necklace
personality traits: aggressive, energetic, keeps to herself

{3}
role: {1}'s crush and {2}'s former rival
personality traits: sincere,  mysterious (at first), sensitive

Notes: the "big picture" of this project has been constantly changed but the beginning is always the same. this would most likely end up being a short story but i could never find the right plot that fits the tone of this project. in a recent attempt: it could have other necklaces that hold other souls, who were originally victims from being involved in witchcraft during the witch hunt era, and with all of the necklaces together someone could open a portal between the spirit world and earth; but I’m not sure if i would want any sort of action or adventure in this project, otherwise it might steer away from the whole concept.

current progress: inactive.

latest update: 12/6/15

Project: 'Swordsman'

Genres: action, adventure, drama, (mystery), sci-fi

Spoiler
Summary
in Medieval Times, where the ancient land was ruled by different kingdoms, lied a rare source of material that was mined for centuries after its discovery ... magic. it was a magical source in the form of rock that, through crafting, its latent abilities could be harvested. the separate kingdoms fought for this element, which was rarer than gold, by crafting powerful weapons using it as its main source.

after many years has past and the Great Magic War for the element resolved, a young girl wakes to find no memory of her past or even her own name. she later encounters a swordsman wearing black, who had carried one of these rare weapons, in hopes he could escort her home safely. both of their pasts may be their own downfall after she uses a new kind of magic.

Characters:
{1}
role: swordsman and {2}'s protector

{2}
role: has great power that someone is trying to steal

Notes: I've decided to take another look at this project and after much thought I think I figured out a way to change it while still keeping the same ideas I had before. I do intend to keep the original plot the way it was but the setting wasn't anything I could take seriously.

i posted a new summary to better explain the new direction I've taken with this project but i still don't have any idea what i will make of it, maybe i will continue it further or let it sit on its own until i feel inspired enough to work on it again. i'll keep my old summary below for now if it matters to anyone but its just my early work that needed a new look. (several content mentioned in the old summary will not be involved in the rewritten story)

Old Summary:
a young girl wakes up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there or anything else about her life. she wanders around the city in search of anything familiar but only certain strange flashbacks of her inside a fiery area with a man dressed in dark clothing and a mask. soon after, a strange space vessel appeared before her and out came an thug looking alien that was trying to capture her while causing destruction nearby. when she is nearly caught, a swordsman dressed in black came to her rescue and fought the alien fearlessly. she is caught in-between them and suddenly she began to radiate a strange power that quickly ended their fight. he asks her about her abilities but she has no memory of doing any of it. with the both of them confused of the situation, the swordsman has a theory behind her abilities and wishes to escort her back home safely ... to her home planet. the swordsman's past soon catches up to him when he promises to escort her home, which is the one place he is forbidden to enter.

current progress: posted new summary. possibly rework on its concept but still inactive.

latest update: 2/13/16

these are several of my projects I’ve been working on but could still use some work. if you have any ideas, comments, or questions then feel free to talk to me here or PM me; I’ll be sure to update this every chance i get but writing chapters might take me a while to do.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:54:33 PM by Hope4Future »

Offline Emell

• View Profile
Re: My Project Samples and Ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 12:46:02 AM »
I read through your stuff, so I figured I'd give my opinion. Oh, and if I sounds overly critical for any reason, its just because I tend to focus on what can improve. Just a habit of mine.

Project 1
I like the concept, but it also feels like a concept that's going to be very difficult to write well unless you know your end goal from the beginning. Other than simply releasing the soul, what's the point of the story? What are the character developments? It sounds like a very personal, character driven concept and that part of it is missing.

Project 2
Eh, I'm not a fan. Combination of amnesia MC, swords stuff, random aliens and such make it sound very generic. Might be an idea worth looking into what really works and reworking it a lot.

Project 3
I know you said it was you masterpiece, but I'm not really feeling it. its a good idea for creating an easily extended story with each new artifact, but it also feels like a premise that has been done before. It may not be exactly artifacts, but most concepts like this have a detailed lore to explain the specifics of their take on the magical collectables concept. Probably want that to be your next step. I also don't really see a long term goal. Most long running series have an overarching goal. I can see a chapter to chapter changing story with each new artifact, but other than that its just a very cliche MC and and very cliche partner character out to do very cliche things. Yeah, sorry, but I'm not feeling this one.

Project 4
I like the concept as a starting point. Sci-fi stories like that need to be a bit mysterious too, imo. Usually its a slow unveiling of the rules of the phenomena. Like, as another dimension is put into the mix, its found you don't know which of the other two dimensions you'll show up in when you go through it. Just stuff like that where the characters need to understand the phenomena to conquer it. Additionally, this sort of story, especially in comedy form, is entirely dependent on your characters.

Project 5
Interesting start, but, two things. One, this sort of premise would probably feel more interesting as a drawn out mystery. Waking up with a million unexplained things, then the author drip feeds the answers to the reader is a classic story setup. Two, the monstrous alternative personality is something I know has been done before. Given how dark this premise seems to be from the get go, it'd be interesting to either get a bit more complicated than a monstrous alternative personality, or make the twist more clever.

Project 6
Eh, as of now it doesn't sound much more than a copy of SAO and the like. Needs to be developed much more before I could give a real opinion.

In general, your characters don't have a ton of depth to them. It seems like a lot of your plot ideas are perfectly willing to establish character actions without having even created a character to have chosen to do that. What I am saying is basically, I would recommend focusing more on characterization in the premise stage. Because as soon as you start trying to make your characters just some cardboard cutout that will do what you want to keep the plot going how you want it, then that's when you have one dimensional characters.

And those would be my opinions on them.

Offline Hope4Future

• Future Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 04:53:00 AM »
I do appreciate that you took the time to look through my projects and I don't at all mind if you need to be straight forward, I'd expect nothing less than your honesty towards it. I just want to fully understand what you had in mind and how I could improve it. overall, I should add more character details but I wasn't sure what to put without giving away too much detail that would later take part in the story. I'll try to add more character traits that simply describe their personality alone. as for the projects ...

Project 1: the beginning started strong but the ending, in different scenarios, wasn't good enough and I couldn't match what I was aiming for. If I recall, from my earlier work, the character involvement was insightful that lead to a greater message behind it but my notes weren't specific on what it was exactly. at the very least: the first two characters did get to understand each others feeling better after much disagreement and how similar they were 'imprisoned' in their own way. not much to show for it but once I pinpoint the overall goal, I'll be sure to emphasize in greater detail.

Project 2: I'm not very proud of its results but regardless of the story, I don't think I could ignore the clichés it contains. if I can aim the story into a different picture then I will.

Project 3: it may not seem like it but there's more to it than just acquiring a new artifact each chapter. the first few chapters may also prove your point further but its only to establish the presence of these artifacts and their abilities, it really depends on the user. this story explains the contents of greed and how easily people become consumed by it but it also separates the people that find something greater than the material positions as powerful as they may be. I couldn't quite understand what you meant here:
It may not be exactly artifacts, but most concepts like this have a detailed lore to explain the specifics of their take on the magical collectables concept. Probably want that to be your next step.
are you suggesting that I should describe the artifacts in greater detail or the purpose of them? it may not seem like a masterpiece worthy project but between my questionable early work and my still newly edited later work, I would say this has the best long term potential until something greater comes up; regardless of its clichés.

Project 4: the different dimension concept with the multiple main character meet and greets is very much outside the box of my usual endeavors, especially as a potential comedy. honestly, I wasn't too sure of how I would establish the details about the portal/vortex and where they originated from. I originally aimed for separate portals which would each lead to a certain dimension but a single portal with a 'shuffle board' option would be very situational when trying to go to a certain dimension; I'll definitely consider it as a main factor. i assure you that each character will have different little behaviors than their dimension counterparts but will still share several personality traits they inherited; it factors on the outcome of their lives rather than opposing or parallel personalities from the original.

Project 5: I'm not sure what posed me to forget mystery as its genre, this project is the very definition of mystery (I will change that right away). as far as the alternative personality (monstrous was just an exaggeration), there is no doubt in my mind that it has many familiar qualities of a cliché but its how you use it that separates them; his alter ego is basically just a darker version of himself that he kept hidden. also:
Given how dark this premise seems to be from the get go, it'd be interesting to either get a bit more complicated than a monstrous alternative personality, or make the twist more clever.
that is a good point, I will definitely look into that and maybe find a more distinguished attribute that would make this project more unique.

Project 6: I was afraid of that. I was trying not to replicate it but I guess I wanted to make my own aspects of the online world genre.

overall: your opinions were greatly needed and I will take a good look at each of my projects in order to avoid future clichés. I will most likely continue with my 3rd project as a long term project (considering how much work I've already put towards it) but I think I'll take a closer look at my 4th project and make due with what I can; especially since it has short term quality, it will be easier. lastly, I will attempt to add greater depth into each of my characters, hopefully without spoiling too much, otherwise there wouldn't be a story for me to tell.  :D

Offline Emell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 10:38:55 PM »
Well, a story is not their premise. Whether you have more or not, I can only judge by what is there. As a story is the sum of its parts, leaving out critical details means you leaving the puzzle half finished. I know you wouldn't want to reveal your entire story, but it just works that way. Additionally, if your character's personalities can't be fleshed out and described without spoiling your plot, then that may be a sign of the problem I was talking about that can risk the quality of your characterizations.

Project 1: If I were to make a suggestion, I would delve down deep into what the point of the story is. Not in the plot, but thematically. Characterization and character arcs are defined by themes. Or, at the very least, they should be. It provides a more coherent narrative that way.

Project 2: Personally, I would suggest starting over and simply reusing ideas if they work. You don't have to salvage every idea.

Project 3: I understand that. I figured it was something like that from the first two character description. Mind you, having that sort of theme is a good thing. I forget if I said it, but as of now, with what I know, they feel like a good example of characters created to serve a plot than to be characters themselves.

I guess the question that you should ask yourself is this, "Is this character like this so the plot advances how I want, or are they a fully fleshed out character who make all the choices set out by the plot?" Subtle difference, but it depends on how you treat the character too. If you're just thinking of characters to serve your plot, then they will end up being a plot point to both you and the audience. You'll end up treating your characters like that as well, even if just out of habit. Again, this is based on what I've been provided.

Personally, when I think up stories, its a two branched method. On one side, I decide the theme. The point of the story. From that, you can get the groundwork of your characters. On the other side, you have your basic premise, and the premise decides the world. It fleshes it out and creates something the characters could actually live in. When you combine these two paths, the story begins to tell itself. Now, I'm not telling you that you have to write this way, or even that you don't understand this already. I'm just explaining where I'm coming from. Its important the story comes naturally from the characters. Otherwise, you risk forcing the plot or inconsistent character personalities.

As for your last question, I was more referring to world building. Magic item stories are mostly distinguished by their world building. With appropriate lore surrounding it, the stylization that can make each aspect of the plot and visuals unique start to form.

Project 4: I was mostly trying to emphasize that interesting characters are the crux of such an idea (and that sci-fi usually has a hint of mystery, but that's for another day). So, its important to spend most of your time molding the characters' personalities and, more importantly, the character interactions to be unique, natural, and interesting.

Project 5: Yeah, all I'm basically saying is to flesh out to make it more complicated. As of now, it doesn't sound interesting enough to go beyond the cliche. A variety of ways this can be done. One idea that comes to mind is to establish a more complex set of rules for how the alternate personality works. If you have a rulebook in front of you, then its easier to write the mystery side to it.

Project 6: Sort of like Project 5, there just isn't enough to it for it go beyond the cliche at the moment.

Its also worth to note that I don't like premises that are designed to last a long time. I'm a firm believer of a story being made with a beginning, middle, and end. So ideas like your artifact one, which strike me as an 'artifact-of-the-week' style story than a premise with character arcs and a plotline. Sure, there can be an overall plotline, but it feels like you're focusing more on the what would be done on a chapter basis than what the end goal of the story is. 

Offline Hope4Future

• Future Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 02:48:19 AM »
Whether you have more or not, I can only judge by what is there
I know, but I intend on adding more detail when I get the chance to

P1: that is what I intend on doing.

P2 & P6: these will most likely to be erased if there is nothing to work with and I only intended if there was anything to save; if not, then that's that (although I don't want to change the number order of the projects since several of my notes are based around that).

P3: well I'm not sure how else to put this this, but I don't believe I have the same feelings and beliefs about how lively my characters are in comparison. however, I do believe that if it was able to put them in a room together, they would have vivid conversations that aren't rehearsed or planned but natural. I will take some time and carefully look over their personalities outside the story. another thing, my goal isn't to stall but to build up something that doesn't happen overnight. for example: several main characters meet within the first few chapters and i'm showing their progress of how they became good friends; I couldn't simply go from "chapter 1 - they meet" to "chapter 2 - fighting for their friends." by introducing the situation and showing off bits and pieces that slowly build up the story from within, then the drama will start to flow naturally.

P4: based off of this:
sci-fi usually has a hint of mystery, but that's for another day
whenever you got time, I'd like to know if there's more to it. also, do you believe this being a sci-fi genre? I wasn't sure because the portal/vortex was the only abnormal thing.

P5: I'll keep that in mind.

I do appreciate all of the advice you've been giving me and I certainly have a lot to think about.  ;D

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
Re: Hope4Future's Projects
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 12:22:45 AM »
Project 1: Really like the concept, as someone said you really need to nail the girl ghost personality and the character interactions.

Project 3: Seems like the most "traditional shonen" kind of manga. Action mangas involving superpowers are always cool if the characters/powers are interesting and the battles are well done. There is this manga called akame ga kill, and there are these weapons that grant superpowers to the user. Maybe your manga also goes in the same direction?

Project 5: Like it very much. I think the double personality thing wants to be an impacting reveal at some point instead of something you establish early on.

Facebook       Patreon

Offline Hope4Future

• Future Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 02:20:18 AM »
Project 1: Really like the concept, as someone said you really need to nail the girl ghost personality and the character interactions.

well originally there weren't much characters involved but the context between the mc and the ghost should be enough on its own; simply because they don't see eye to eye on many things. this was an old project, but i will do with what i can and hopefully make up for the lack of characters.

Project 3: Seems like the most "traditional shonen" kind of manga. Action mangas involving superpowers are always cool if the characters/powers are interesting and the battles are well done. There is this manga called akame ga kill, and there are these weapons that grant superpowers to the user. Maybe your manga also goes in the same direction?

I'm surprised you caught that, good eye, i am very familiar with Akame ga Kill (seen the anime, haven't read the manga) and their weapons was a big part of the inspiration that led to this project ... but i assure you that's probably the only idea i used from it. it certainly has that "traditional shonen" feel to it but idk if this would be in the same direction as Akame ga Kill, i guess it depends.

Project 5: Like it very much. I think the double personality thing wants to be an impacting reveal at some point instead of something you establish early on.

that's true, its not something that should be revealed so early in the story. although, the story isn't necessarily about "whose the murder ... its me?!" but more like "how do i stop myself?!" and the fact is: a lot of things in the beginning will point to him being the killer and i intend to have a few chapters go by before the mc character realizes this, otherwise I'd just be delaying the inevitable truth. it wouldn't be much of a murder mystery if the reader knew the mc is the murderer while everyone else finds out later.

thanks for your input, i know this can be quite a drag to read through all of this. i certainly have some work to do here. until then, feel free to ask me any further questions you may have  :angel:

Offline Hope4Future

• Future Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:44 PM »
i just want to start by saying that I've updated several things about my current projects since my last post

but i mainly wanted to mentioned that i posted 2 new ideas as my possible future projects. there's not much to it and there's a chance i might not even work on them but i wanted to get some input if they were any good or if there is something i could do to improve it.

of course, i wouldn't expect too much because my lack of reviews but if you were to at least take a quick look and vote for one that suits your liking, that would mean everything to me.  :angel:

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 01:36:54 PM »
Personally I like idea number one much more. The idea of a guy (or creature?  :-\) casting illusions to make people kill each other seems really cool and it allows from some awesome horror art oportunity  :biggrin: :biggrin: It seems like a very interesting mystery story to me. It can have a lot of clever moments about the villain trying to fool the characters with illusions and the protagonist overcoming it  ;)  Is a really cool concept!

Idea number 2 to be honest the premise doesn't make much sense to me. She has to choose angel or demon, one is very nice and lovely to people and the other one is horrible. Now why on earth would she possible choose the demon? Doesn't seem like a hard decision at all.

Facebook       Patreon

Offline Hope4Future

• Future Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 04:16:38 PM »
thanks, the first one i did put a little more thought into and has a great amount of possibilities ... unlike the second one ...

the second one was literally fresh out of the oven (and half-baked if i might add) it still had some thinking to do but i thought i'd post it anyway. as far as the decision: its not necessarily 'choosing an angel or demon' but more like choosing one of her 2 personalities that cancel each other out. and i feel i should elaborate on the fact that its not herself and 2 others, but its only the 2 selves; she wouldn't know good from bad if she has both after all, that's why she seeks others opinions ... but yea, otherwise it is kinda a no-brainer.

nevertheless, thanks for your input once more. i'm glad at least one of them was likable (a swing and miss on my end), i'll see what i can do about these.  ;D

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 04:21:15 PM »
I think Project 3 and Project 4 appeal to me the most. 4 the most because it has such a potential for great things.

The others unfortunately remind me too much of what I've already read. I see a black swords man and someone with amnesia and it's a no go. Same thing with seeing ghosts after some artefact.

Project 3 doesn't have much storywise, but could be great for an action manga of sorts. Project for has a lot going for it storywise. If done right it could be really interesting. It's quite a twist to have the other characters learn about the vortex. It's like letting another character get their hands on a lightsaber other than the jedi. Or someone else driving the DeLorean in Back To The Future. It's a real nice twist to have in a story.

Offline Hope4Future

• Future Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 04:49:30 PM »
can't argue with that, i'm glad 3 and 4 peeked your interest, they're currently my favorite to work on; as far as the others: yea, i can see why they would remind you of familiar concepts ... not much i could do about that.

P3: i can't really explain its story concept or main goal well enough without giving away much to the story. I've been cooking up something good for the plot (or at least good in my mind) but i can't say that would change the fact of what i have now. at very least, much action indeed.

P4: because of this particular idea, i need to put a lot work into the characters themselves (both the original and their parallel versions), which is a pain to do. your certainly right about it being good if done right, i certainly hope i can. i'm hoping to finish Chapter 1 soon, after planning out a few details.

thanks for your input, its nice to hear your opinion about it.  :angel:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:46:16 PM by Hope4Future »

Offline Hope4Future

• Future Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 08:54:05 PM »
UPDATES: 2/22/2016
- I've changed the project numbers and given them nicknames until they have a more likable title. (the polls names have also been changed, remaining the same order as before)

(the posts above still refrain to their original name/number; the chart below translates them)
Conversion Chart
Project 1  ->  Project: 'Ghost'
Project 2  ->  Project: 'Swordsman'
Project 3  ->  Project: Artifact
Project 4  ->  Project: 'Vortex'
Project 5  ->  Project: 'Psychopath'
Project 6  ->  (canceled)
Idea #1  ->  Idea: 'Illusion'
Idea #2  ->  Idea: 'Angel/Demon'
Idea #3  ->  Idea: 'Shatter'

- i also reorganized the OP with more spoilers and divided the projects into categories (Active, Potential Projects, and Inactive).

- lastly, i added a new project idea to the OP (Idea: 'Shatter') so be sure to check it out and continue to leave your feedback. this particular idea consists of several other related ideas that i intend to submit and work on in the future, starting with this one.

i didn't want to put this as a new reply but i just want people to see what they think of this system as well as my newest idea (and what may come with it). any critique is appreciated but voting is good enough on its own.

LATEST UPDATE: 3/9/2016
i added a new potential project idea: 'Shadow'

be sure to check it out  ;D

LATEST UPDATE: 4/16/2016
two of my projects/ideas have been removed (idea: 'Angel/Demon' and Project: 'Psychopath') for obvious reasons. I'll try not to bite more than I can chew in the future when it comes to posting new ideas, if I have one then I'll put more thought into before I consider working on it any further.

also, the poll has been updated, reset, and rearranged. I only ask that you take the time to choose the project most likeable to you, so that I would take it under consideration if I ever wanted to spend more time on it. (from now on: i'll either reset the poll or update it if a new idea is posted)

p.s. - I'm currently in the works of the 'Shadow' Project, hopefully I'll have something to share with everyone really soon.

LATEST UPDATE: 5/16/2016
- Project Shadow information is now posted in the OP and in a new topic.

- added a new potential project to the list, although there is currently no information about it at the moment ... but do expect it sometime this week.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:00:13 PM by Hope4Future »