March 29, 2024, 06:43:55 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: One shot: Firewoman  (Read 1418 times)

Offline pbd33

• View Profile
One shot: Firewoman
« on: November 11, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »
Here is a little one shot I wrote about a female firefighter. I'd say tags would be action, slice of life and a bit of romance

One shot: firewoman
She knew that entering the house?was a bad idea,?the fire had already done too much damages. But the owner?of the place had pleaded her to save her?daughter?stuck in her room at the first?floor. She did not hesitate long before rushing in and thanks to the indications of the mother, she quickly found the bedroom. The door had already started burning. Mary?seized her axe and?broke through. The child was prostrated in a corner, weeping and calling her parents. The young woman took her by?the hips and sought the best?route for exit. The window was?too high, therefore she had to go through the same passage she came from. She hurried up, trying to avoid the ashes and protecting the girl with her body. She then heard a sinister creaking and felt a tremendous weight falling on her back.?Understanding immediately what was happening, she clutched her arms around the child and closed her eyes.?

She came back to her senses a few seconds after the incident, a bit disorientated.??She raised her head, emerging a little from the rubble. Under it, the blond haired shook a bit.

- "you okay?" she asked to the girl

- "Yes" she answered softly

- "Good, let's hurry up then!" said the firewoman?with a smile that was meant to be encouraging

Mary attempted get up, but she was unable to extricate her legs of the debris, a beam blocking them. She considered the situation. They were not far from the entrance and the fire had not yet attacked this side of the house. She put her hands on the child's shoulder and gazed into her eyes.

- "Okay, run as quickly as you can toward the door without stopping alright? And once you are outside, warn one of my colleagues that I am stuck okay?"

The little girl nodded and rushed forward, leaving Mary alone, prisoner of the flames. Her legs were starting to make her suffer, clouding her mind. She was barely conscious when she heard a loud voice call:

- "Mary? where are you? Answer us!"

- "In the dining room, to your right" she answered by mobilizing all the energy left she had.

She saw her colleagues enter the room and running to her.

- "Hang on! we will get you out of here"

In a sort of semi consciousness, she remembered having already lived a scene like this, and while trying to remember it she fainted

Ten years earlier:

The explosion had thrown?her against a wall. She looked by the window of his house, which had broke under the deflagration. The Milner's house, her neighbors, had disappeared. There only remained debris on fire. She noticed that smoke was escaping more and more from her house.

- "Mary!" shouted her father "go to your brother's room quickly! The staircase has caught fire! I think that a gas cylinder has landed in the home, the firefighters are on their way but I cannot reach Leo and you right now. Get him and wait near the window"

- "okay dad!" she responded

She was afraid, but she was the big sister, she had to protect her brother. She found him with tears in his eyes, but he was doing his best to not cry. He rushed to his sister when she closed the door. She brought him to the window?and attempted to calm him down with comforting words?. The minutes seemed to be an eternity?and it was becoming hotter in the room. Suddenly the siren of the firefighters' truck resonated in the distance, covering the crackling sound of flames. A few moments later, a fireman joined the children thanks to a ladder. He was about to bring down Leo when he turned around and told Mary.

- "Hang on! we will get you out of there"?

It didn't took long for the man?to return to her and bring her to safety. It is that day that Mary discovered her vocation. She wanted to become a hero who would save people. She would become the firefighter Mary O'Davoren. She thanked her savior who put his helmet on her head and took a picture with her to try make her smile a little.?

Present

The O'Davoren couple was bent over their daughter's hospital bed. They had received a call during the dinner, telling them that Mary had been injured on an intervention. Her life was not threatened but she had a few broken bones and many bruises. Ryan, his wife and their son had rushed to her bedside and it had now been several hours since they started waiting anxiously for their elder daughter to wake up. Leo had fallen asleep but the parents were too worried to think about resting.

- "I just talked with Mike, her colleague" began the father "He said she breathed a lot of smoke, she is going to have to be oxygenated for some time to recover well, but it should quickly be over. The rest of the injuries are without consequences, she will just need rehabilitation." He took a little break before continuing. " Even if we knew that we would have to face that one day, I didn't think it would be so soon. But she is as stubborn as her father, so I don't think it will prevent her from resuming her job when she'll be healed" He said with a slightly disillusioned smile.

?They had always feared that this day would come. Since the fire of their house, Mary had had this obsession of becoming a firefighter. As soon as she had free time, she would go to the fire station in their neighborhood. Each evening, she came back with a big smile, disheveled and tired of having ran everywhere. She was trying to do the exercises of the fire department and each time that she succeeded at one of them she would speak about it all meal long to her parents. They believed that her enthusiasm would lessen with the time passing by, but years went on and Mary's yearnings did not falter. Several times, while she was in high school, her parents tried to dissuade her from choosing such a dangerous path. They argued that it was a job for strong men and that she could lose her life everyday day. These discussions invariably ended by arguments?with Mary slamming the door of the house, leaving to seek refuge at the fire station. Seeing her obstinacy, her parents reluctantly surrendered. She then studied hard for the EMT certification , mandatory step before applying for the fire academy. She had had the diploma without difficulty and this allowed her finally to begin her dream.

3 Years earlier?

Mary crossed the Academy's gates for the first time. She had been assigned a room at the female boarding school and she had stowed her stuffs before meeting with her few women comrades, whose June, with whom she became friend. From day one the training was harsh. There was no distinction between men and women in the goals to fill and some young men were not ashamed of ridiculing their women comrades with tasteless jokes. Mary, who was the impulsive kind was about to have a fist fight with one of these idiots but another boy, Ethan, smoothly interposed. This event marked the beginning of the small group of friends?with whom she would share?these two years. June, Ethan, Dan (a childhood friend of Ethan) and Mary fought together the complex theoretical lessons and the exhausting physical exercises. Always on time for the warm up meetings at the dawn, whatever the weather was. Those hard weeks were fortunately interspersed by a few regenerative sleep in on Sunday mornings. After a few months, Ethan asked Mary out, to what she agreed, strengthening their bonds even more.

Present

The door of the hospital room opened and Ethan made his appearance, breathless after running up to the number that the receptionist nurse gave him. He briefly greeted Mary's parents.

- "Sorry for not having been able to be here more quickly, I was on another intervention when the accident occurred and when I returned to the station I had find someone to replace me for my guard duty" he apologized gently.

- "Don't worry" answered the mother "The lives?of other people were on the line, what matters is that you are here?now"

The young man grabbed a chair and sat down at the edge of the bed, taking the hand of his loved one. He gazed at her a few moments before talking.?

- "From what I was told, she was once again being reckless" he said " it seems she successfully rescued a girl encircled by the fire"

- "That's so like her" Ryan nodded "I lost count of all the times she came back home covered in scratches when she was younger. Each time it was to help people"

- "I had to mend all of her clothes" trumped the mother, who shook her head in remembrance of the number of hours spent?behind the sewing machine for not having to buy clothes every month.?

- "You should go get some rest" said Ethan to his parents in law "I will wake you up if anything happens."

They agreed to that suggestion and grabbed some blankets. They laid one on the Leo's shoulders, gave another one to Ethan and settled themselves in the most comfortable position that they could find in their chair. They quickly fell asleep, exhausted from all the emotions that they went through the past few hours. It is in this silence that Ethan let his emotions reflect on his face, some tears appearing in his eyes. He had not received a lot of information about Mary's state before arriving here, but the doctor and Mary's colleagues reassured him a bit. Next to him, Mary was breathing peacefully even if a rale would sometimes break the monotony of her respiration. Even if he feared she would feel pain once she regained consciousness, he still hoped that she would quickly wake up and give him a radiant smile, the one that motivated each day to do his best to make her happy. The same smile that she had a year ago during the graduation ceremony of the fire academy

A year earlier

The room was filled with?families. The future graduates were in the first row, waiting for their names to be called, while their relatives were observing the delivery of the valuable papers. Ethan had already retrieved his own, and now it was Mary's turn. She had a hard time containing her excitement while climbing the platform where the dean was. Her degree in hand, she lifted up her arms in the air in victory, and shook her hand toward her family, looking delighted. She walked past her boyfriend and gave him big smile that she did not lose for rest the day.

Present

A hand passing in his hair woke him up. He took a few seconds to understand where he was and then Ethan met Mary's gaze who winked at him. The face of the young man brightened and he stood up to to hug her. She gently answered to his grip and then wanted remove her mask to talk to him but he stopped her.

- "Formal Prohibition to remove it, order from doctors." he said "and I'll personally make sure you won't take it off." he added, knowing her stubborn nature.

Mary sulked a few seconds before giving up. Ethan woke up the rest of the family who rushed with emotion on the patient, covering her with a lot of affection.

5 Months later

"Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiip"

The buzzer sounded, calling to the barrack all the firefighters on duty. One hand sought to grope the object on the?bedside table to cut off the sound.?

- "Hmm, what it time is it?" asked Ethan

- "Four o'clock in the morning" said Mary while sitting on the edge of the bed

- "Urgh, i hate when you are on guard duty at nighttime. You always wake me up in the middle of my best dreams"

- "Was that a dream about me then?" she asked teasing him.

- "yeah, that must be it" he said while laughing "Won't you stay in bed with me? I will feel lonely without you" he added while fully knowing that it was impossible?

- "No can do! Super Mary must save the world once again! By the way, I want pancakes for breakfast when I come back! See ya!"
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 04:11:26 PM by pbd33 »