December 11, 2017, 11:16:03 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Action Scenes at the Beginning of a Manga  (Read 869 times)

Offline Dreadx_Jecht

• What's Good?
    • View Profile
Action Scenes at the Beginning of a Manga
« on: October 29, 2015, 11:32:44 PM »
Hello,

I am currently putting the finishing touches on my one-shot manga before I try to seek out an artist. When I was getting some feedback for my manga, one bit of advice that I got was that I should start the story with some action/combat scenes rather than build up to it like I currently am? What do you guys think? Should I start in the thick of the action and then explain how it happened or should I just keep it how it is and build up to the action?

Offline liuxess

• Love ya! <3
  • I would kill you, but that would stop your pain
    • View Profile
Re: Action Scenes at the Beginning of a Manga
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 12:11:38 AM »
If it's a oneshot, there has to be a build up. It will make the combat more intense, as the reader will know for who is he rooting for.

If you make the combat in the beggining, there will be no intensity left in the story, as the reader would already know who won.

Opening with combat is only good for a series, not oneshots.
I don't create stories, I relive them ;)
I'm in development of one right now, so please check it out:
 http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,15050.0.html
If you want me to check out YOUR story,  just PM me.

Offline dennyscomics

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 12:47:19 AM »
i would try to examine oneshots done by the pro's if you can and see what they did and how they did it. why not write your story both ways? do one that builds up and one that starts with action and then decide which is better.

Offline Dreadx_Jecht

• What's Good?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 01:10:26 AM »
I've begun looking at some one-shots from professionals and it seems like many of them have some kind of action scene happen within the first few pages. Still deciding on what to do however.

Offline dennyscomics

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 02:02:58 AM »
That would be the way to go then. how many pages is your oneshot? this http://myanimelist.net/manga/36277/Time_Killers  is full of oneshots, they are pretty good, the one starts off with the hero running away from a fight he just finished and hes hurt, its cool cause you want to know what happened but you never find out.

Offline Dreadx_Jecht

• What's Good?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »
That would be the way to go then. how many pages is your oneshot? this http://myanimelist.net/manga/36277/Time_Killers  is full of oneshots, they are pretty good, the one starts off with the hero running away from a fight he just finished and hes hurt, its cool cause you want to know what happened but you never find out.

My one-shot is around 60 pages.

Offline dennyscomics

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 11:53:42 AM »
Ok so its a full length oneshot, i would say wait on the action cause you have the page count and dont need to rush things.

Offline Emell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »
I think it all depends on how you want to pace it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to look up some pacing/interest curves. If its a oneshot, then you'd definitely want to make sure you follow through on the full curve.

Here's an example of the first Star Wars movie

Its important to consistently increase the interests with highs and lows like that, so if an action scene lets you do that over the alternative, then I suggest doing that.