April 19, 2024, 03:47:03 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Outlining  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Chew211

• View Profile
Outlining
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:46:12 PM »
Hey guys, I don't post here much often, thought I might get into it.

I'm a writer, currently working on a manga series that will be releasing soon.

I've often suffered writers block for every story I've worked on. Sometimes the block would last so long I wouldn't get anything done. Recently though, I learned about outlining, and several different outlining methods, and I must say, they really help. It's like I'm able to see where a block will be, before I even get to writing. It allows me to change up the story with ease (changing a story when it's written out would take a lot more time, and would require making up a lot more progress).

I am currently working on the outline of the first volume of my series (I wish I had done this before I started writing, but the first 2 chapters were made without outlining). And I am still suffering from a block on it, but I feel it's a lot better that it's happening now as opposed to when I have the script typed out.

For all you writers out there, I want to ask what you think about outlines. Do you use them? Were you able to complete a story without them? Do you have a different method that works better for you?

Offline dennyscomics

• View Profile
Re: Outlining
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 11:56:52 AM »
I found that i start by getting the basic idea for the  beginning of the story in my head and then just start writing it out and i keep going until the story seems finished. Then i go back and break it down into an outline to see what im missing and then go back and revise. I found that i cant outline first because i dont have anything to work with. Some writers outline and some dont, just depends on you and how your brain works. I personally like writing and just letting a scene happen where even im surprised at what happens. Theres a good book called plot perfect that helps you outline everything, i use it as a guide after ive written a first draft.

Offline newartriot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 09:44:48 AM »
for me eversince i started writing stories, i always start with outline, oftentimes i always think about the ending then come up with stories in between then i proofread it a lot of times and if i feel im not satisfied thats where im stuck sometimes it takes month/s to recover..

Offline Emell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 09:48:29 PM »
Well... There's two things I like to do.

First, the overall outline. Or structure, I guess. The big picture outline that tells you where the story needs to go. It helps you keep a focus when you don't know where to take the current events. I think this is much more important than outlining each part.

The outline of details can be helpful. Its a good habit to make part of your writing process, since it gives you another time to think of good ideas and look over what might seem like a bad idea now.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 11:31:43 PM »
Outlines are really useful, but they have never turned out well for me. I believe fully in writing on the go and letting my characters progress the plot. I may have their names down and locations written down somewhere, and a general plot, but I have done a completely outlined story before, and in the midst of writing it not only did I feel restricted, I couldn't stick to my double checked outline in the end anyways because some parts just didn't fit.

Even as I've completely abandoned outlines and made my writing more organic, I still suffer from having outlines in the first place. I have countless works in progress and ideas that'll remain as just those until I get to just writing them. I prefer unfinished first drafts to outlines any day of the week any minute of an hour.

Offline PageTurnerComics

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
I made an entire Wiki to outline my story. I think it is the best/easiest way to outline since you can link to other thoughts and characters.