November 18, 2017, 09:53:53 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: The Manimal's Evil & Exploding Yellow Artistic Laboratory In Space  (Read 6572 times)

Offline Manimal

• God of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
Hello, welcome to my thread #309.

I've always felt my art was better suited for this sub forum. Even though I some times draw anime characters, I don't think of my art as manga and I do not try to make it such.

For a quick run down I've been drawing silly comics since I was 4. My inspirations as a kid where Captain Underpants, Garfield, Sponge Bob, Rocko's Modern Life, and other silly things. A little later on, about 8-9 years ago, a silly little podcast called Knox Kast hosted by Robert Benfer of Knox Korner and Jason Steele of Film Cow proved to be a huge thing for me as it shaped my sense of humour to what it is now. My inspiration now is Tim Hortons. When I was younger I used to copy the comics inside Captain Underpants, that was a huge inspiration for my comics. I only started to care about improving my art last October when I started to read comics again. I shook off all the bad anime influence on my art little by little. I got my tablet in May and I now ink on there and sometimes draw. Though I do prefer to draw normally.

All the art in my previous threads is gone so I will repost bits to get this thread started. 

Some recent art. Newest first. I never finished that Ringo picture....
[/spoiler]

Some of my comic samples. These are not full pages and are just random panels so don't try to read it normally!
Spoiler

Here are 3 pages of my most recently inked comic from last month. This one is indeed in sequence!
Spoiler

Some digital sketches from May.
Spoiler

So now that that is out of the way I will be posting my art here now! So ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk0dBZ1meio
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:00:31 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
Re: The Manimal's Evil & Exploding Yellow Artistic Laboratory In Space
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 03:53:42 PM »
Trying to do some Halloween related art. Here's an attempt at Witch Umi (character in my avatar right now). I like to draw witches I like to draw Umi and both combined is even better. So here. I feel I always make improvements to how I draw faces but not so much everything else...

I do plan to ink this one maybe, unless I draw a better one.

Spoiler

Offline Vio

• Listed in the MR blacklist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 04:04:12 PM »
This looks really neat, Spooky~

The two things that caught my eyes are her arms and hands. For her right arm at that angle, I don't think the elbow crease/fold (or whatever it's called) need to be that long. I would end it closer but at the middle of her arm. :hmm:

To me her hands seems to be quite small, especially since her hands are slightly closed in. :hmm:

Other than those two:

Spoiler

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 05:02:33 PM »
Ya the arms gave me a lot of trouble. The picture I was referencing was very low quality so it was hard to see the models fingers. I feel there is a similar issue with her legs. Her clothes as well I think I did a little poorly. It was hard to visualize how her top would look at this angle and how it'd fall. I think I'm going to re-do this one or fix it up. I want to draw a nice, inked and coloured witch Umi.

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 12:54:26 PM »
Another Umi! This time it's Dancing Stars On Me style! My favourite non Snow Halation song from the show!

I don't know what I did in the last picture but I can't do that face again...I know boring, same angle, but I tried a bunch of poses and this one seemed to work. I did some lazy shading, might ink this one to. I couldn't decide on her facial expression.

Ah, still messed the fingers! Damnit...one of these days...

Oh and I forgot her braids! Oh well.

Spoiler
Yow
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:30:10 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 06:58:47 PM »
Started to do my entry for the Halloween contest. I did a comic page, I drew and inked it but I'm toning it now which is where the really trouble and laziness comes in.

Here's a teaser of the first panel of the Manga Raiders Halloween Party. You guys should be able to tell who's who here.

Spoiler

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 02:47:19 PM »
Here's a Manimalistic update.

Not much to show. I did 10 pages of a comic I've been planning for a year Mango P.I. but I don't think I did good so I'm going to re-do it. Here's a page.

Spoiler

Another short unfinished comic. I drew it all but have yet to ink it. These characters go to a reserve and find it's not what they assumed.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 08:20:10 PM »
Starting my Christmas comic. It'll take a while so I gotta start early.

This is my first idea, I did a page last week but I'm not going with this one since it's not a very interesting idea, pretty much just a rip off of the first Mr. Hankey episode with the same tone as the Charlie Brown Christmas special. Here's the first page, somehow it took me an hour and a half to ink this...

Spoiler

This is the Christmas special I did last year. I never finished it so here are some random panels. I inked this one normally. I think my art has improved since than, I used to draw rectangular eyes and pointy ass chins, but I'm still no where close to being even half decent yet.
Spoiler

As per normal I don't really have much to post.

I will share a page of one of my earliest comics that I still have. It was drawn...anywhere from 10 to 14 years ago. I drew the pictures and one of my old pals wrote the words. Just like Captain Underpants. Literally that's what the format was based off. I think I've gotten a touch better at drawing since than.

The character's name was Mega Storm. He used to be called Super Storm Trooper but than I was like "maybe I should like be original or something". I used to make big epic Star Wars comics with like Boba Fett and Storm Troopers during class.

Spoiler
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:37:21 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »
Started Tamako Market. First I was like, alright cute girl but I don't really...OH MY GOD NECK MOLE!

Here's a very quick drawing of her, not very clean. She's fun so I might try again. Put the bird on her head as well since it was an amusing part of the first episode.

Spoiler

My God those clothes look bad. As normal I primarily focus on the faces as my art evolves and I tend to ignore the other parts. Gotta work on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKRKpdvi1lA
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:21:54 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 09:17:19 PM »
Another quick sketch. I should actually maybe put a little more into these but I've also been working on my Christmas comic as well so these are side things.

Maki Nishikino enjoying some hot chocolate. Maki loves Christmas, check out this funny scene from the show.

The snow was an after thought so it doesn't work to well. If I used a tablet it might've looked better but it would've also been messy and taken eight times longer to do.

Spoiler

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:58:27 PM by Manimal Claus »

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 09:48:26 PM »
Tried drawing some stuff tonight but it was mostly unfruitful. I did a so so picture of Kotori Minami in her cool overall bikini outfit, I almost posted it but it's just too low quality.

Here is one of my characters Lia in her outfit for my Christmas comic in the works. Another meh picture.

Spoiler

I would like comments on what I do wrong because I think my art has been looking pretty bad, stiff and generally poor lately.

I'm trying to do a 12 days of Christmas themed drawings but I dunno. I don't have enough ideas and all my attempts look bad so I dunno. Welcome to The Manimal's art thread where he dunnos.

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 11:04:14 PM »
Here is one of my characters Lia in her outfit for my Christmas comic in the works. Another meh picture.

Spoiler

I would like comments on what I do wrong because I think my art has been looking pretty bad, stiff and generally poor lately.

Okay! So, I'll only comment on the stuff that I can see as what could be improved. The first and most minor things might be the angle of the sleeves on the ending? They seem contorted and bent from where the forearm would lead into the wrist. The cloth is covering the hands so it would be difficult to see anyhow, but it just has that strange appearance and the kind of nitpicky nonsense that I should probably avoid. The rest of the torso/clothing seems pretty decent aside!

For the face: From the bottom up, I think the mouth could be moved to the left a bit. I can see the faint outline of your guideline bisecting the face vertically, and you can really see how far over the mouth has moved. Or maybe you moved the perspective as you filled in the face? I can't say for sure, but it does lead into the nose. You start the top of the nose line from where that faint guideline would be going, but the bottom of the nose is centered above the middle of the lips, which is a bit more to the right of the piece. It gives the nose a bit of a strange angle overall. It also looks a bit turned upwards, but that could just be the character, so who am I to judge? At that angle, though, I guess I could only suggest adding a small line or bit of shading to the left nostril (or the right nostril from her perspective). Finally, the eyes are again centered on that guideline. It would have probably worked out fine, but since the bottom half of the facial features drifted over, it looks gives the whole piece that weird look. People automatically hone in on the eyes, so getting them just right is a pain in the butt, I CAN RELATE. Maybe the right eye (her left) could be a little less wide, in order to get a bit of foreshortening going on that slightly turned 3/4 perspective. And maybe make it ever-so-slightly thinner to match the left eye.

Other than that, you're still coming along just fine! I don't want to come off as someone who knows what they're doing (because that is certainly NOT the case), but it's all I could really come up with. If you were doing this digitally, I'd say to try mirroring the rough draft by flipping the canvas. For pencils, I'd say just try flipping the paper over and hold it up to the light to see what needs work. Your mind autocompletes the errors in a pic away as you work on it, and flipping things along the Y-axis can break that illusion right away.

I don't know, Man. you seem to be coming along just fine to me.

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 06:59:19 AM »
Ya the sleeves confused me. I turned off from the picture I was referring because I like the look of overly long sweaters but it didn't turn out to well and just appears as what it truly is, a means to cover her hands. Ya I totally messed her nose and mouth. Again I went off from the reference picture and drew her face differently because I kinda automatically do things to same way when I should just be drawing what I see, and I had no idea where to put her nose and mouth so I put them where it maybe looks right but didn't. Actually yes I do give her an up turned nose but I haven't used real reference for it so it looks wrong.

Ya that's one of my least favorite part of digital art. As soon as I flip something it's like "well I really do suck don't I". I should stop posting these half assed drawings...anyways thanks a lot for your comment dude!

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 10:39:22 PM »
-
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:19:19 PM by Manimal Claus »

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 03:18:47 PM »
Oh God that Mio picture makes me barf, had to remove that...

Here's a quick sketch of Umi and Nozomi in their cheerleader outfits. I enjoy drawing Love Live characters, there are a lot of cute outfits and of course the characters themselves are fun. I like to draw Kotori, Umi and Nozi the most.

This drawing is iffy, I think I might ink it because it's kind of okay. I accidentally drew Nozi in a totally different style though, she looks a little more cartoony. Not the best but whatever, it's something.

It's missing some small details that I prefer to add in if I ink. I also had no idea what to do with the pom poms. Thoughts if you have any?

Spoiler
Turn away don't look at me aaahh no.

Maybe I should actually finish something next time. These sketches must be getting dull...

I got a few things I gotta draw for here, I'll get to those at some point but I'm pretty bad at doing things that I feel I have to do.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 06:16:33 PM by Manimal »