March 29, 2024, 02:27:54 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Bokura no Manga  (Read 10050 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Bokura no Manga
« on: August 30, 2015, 06:18:24 AM »
Ok I finally managed to write a story. Well i call it a story....
I got a bit fed up with my lack of progress and decided to write anything that i could, just to have something that I have completed, as a bit of achievement. But to do this i had to sort of ignore any problems in the story and art etc, and JUST DO IT. i'm a bit of a perfectionist, and dont like doing anything until i know i can do it, so its a bit unconventional of me, but it was good experience.

Like i said in a previous post, I am pround that i did it, but not proud of it :P
You are welcome to comment and critique, although i have made a lot of progress since some stuff may not apply anymore.
like adding tone-why the hell did I not do that?

I will post making-of pictures in my normal manga topic sometime for those interested.

Anyway here it is, check the bonus spoiler for what it looks like printed:P
Its called chapter 1, but it feels more like halfway through a story, and i dont plan on writing another chapter anyway :P

Reads right to left :P

Front and Back pages (Not much effort put in here lol)

Bokura no Manga (="Our Manga" in English)

Bonus-Final Book!

Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Robin Rain

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
Re: Bokura no Manga
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:42:54 AM »
 :heart:

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 07:55:51 AM »
Oh dude! suuper! Props for this man! That's awesome dude you should be more proud of this haha. It was really fun to read! My only gripe was maybe it'd be nice to have silent panels to space out the time a little, otherwise you really made something here. I have several questions on how you got it printed like that and what you used to draw, but otherwise several props man!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:04:58 AM »
thanks lego!
and robin :P
i see what you mean about silent panels, i tried to put a few in but the pages still ended up a bit dialog heavy :P
Yeah i wasnt sure if I was meant to post making-of here since the topic is for finished manga only. I'll put up some half-way photos i took as i was going along in my normal manga page :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 08:30:43 AM »
Haha you can post that stuff. Even published manga have sketches at the end of chapters or the volumes. And I know I'm interested in seeing it. You can also post it in your art topic if you prefer

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 01:27:38 PM »
muahahaha i will post it everywhere :P

How I did it
Start off with sketch (only picture i had of it) the left picture

Sketch Border lines - Notice i am using paper with a faint template on it - Made my own and printed it.

And ink in panel lines (if you have speech bubbles that overlap draw these as well - i forgot and had to crop them :(

Following your sketch again draw the characters and story and whatever (blue pencil means you dont have to erase it for scanning!)

And ink your sketch. I used a random Staedtler Fineliner - Use whatever you have

Rinse and Repeat

Scan, colour or tone, add text and print out (or publish digitally)

To make a booklet like in the photo, you can do this yourself using the booklet printing option in word, or make a pdf and use adobe, both work fine (You may have to experiment with putting the paper back in the printer to print the other side if you dont have double sided printing). You can then staple the pages using a staple gun and fold the staples back, or if you are lucky to have a long arm stapler, just use that :P A normal stapler will work, but you may have to crease the pages to get it to reach.

If you are very lucky, you will have a photocopier/printer with the whole feature and just bung the pages in, press go, and manga falls out the other end. I used the one i had at work (I actually have permission to use anything for my own personal projects), so i didn't have to fiddle with my own stapling, but i have used that technique before anyway so it still works.

I ended up giving copies of my manga to everyone in my department, two of which have sons who are into manga who said it was good :P

My whole setup: took 40 hours to make the whole thing from beginning to end

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 02:07:59 PM »
Oh man that is freaking awesome! You even inked it traditionally?

I did try drawing with blue but it never worked out that well. I guess I'll take a stab at doing that again haha.

Great dedication there dude. And I see your workspace is as chaotic as everyones haha

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 02:18:15 PM »
yeah my skills are not consistent enough with digital to ink it that way, but i want to move onto that because its generally better (you can undo and move bits around, copy paste and stuff)

the only reason to use blue is do it doesnt come up in the scan, i used "soft blue" colour, its quite faint. i bought leads in a pack and use them in the mechanical pencil, which is great you dont have to sharpen it which is awesome, but the lines seem always slightly blunt, so a trade off on accuracy. might try light blue ballpoint pen if i can find it, or jump to digital.

yeah i had pages everywhere. its all filed away in a folder now though :P
it didnt feel very messy though, i sort of kept everything in the same place.

Offline DAWM

• Draw Along With Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 02:13:15 AM »
Hey this is super cute!

Offline Daisetsu-bushido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 05:39:01 AM »
Totally love it :). It's great. I really like such slice of life stories.

And props for inking all of it traditionally which is a very hard work [I always screw up when I try it so I always stick to pencils when drawing traditionals :P]. It's really something to be proud of.

Keep up the good work :).

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 04:20:22 PM »
@DAWM thanks :P

@Daisetsu yeah i love slice of life as well. although sometimes its the hardest to write, because its what people are the most familiar with, they notice mistakes more easily i think :P

inking traditionally is yes very hard, probably about half the time spent on the manga was inking it. its really scary, that you might make a (mostly) permanent mistake :P

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 03:11:54 AM »
Took me a while but I finally read it all (very busy nowadays).

I think it is great that you got your first chapter drawn.  Reminds me of the panel I went to earlier, it is better to have done something small rather than have a bunch of ideas that have gotten nowhere...  I know the stress of inking traditionally, very stressful indeed. Also why I prefer to ink digitally because that stress isn't there...  If you want to still ink traditionally then I highly recommend getting some white ink...  It will help you more than you think...

On a more technical side I feel that you could use more screentones or some kind of shading as it is a bunch of linework.  We can tell characters from one another but shading would be great to add depth...  I know traditional screentones are harder to come by but you can still shade with hatching/cross hatching...  I'll leave it at that for now (I'm sure you don't want me to confuse you with alot of things).

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 09:58:30 AM »
@kenshin
yes its nice to have a finished item. i plan to work digitally in the future, but im having teething problems with my tablet :P
and thanks for your helpful comment. As stupid as it sounds, i plain forgot to add tone (tehe :P)
I can use traditional screentone well, but i prefer to do that digitally, its a lot easier (and cheaper)
i do know where to get screentone dirt cheap though :P
well if you have other advice i would be happy to hear it, i hope i wont get confused though :P

Offline a

• Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 11:24:49 PM »
Holy crap that was a cute ending! I can't get over how good this was, suupertramp!

I feel the need to tell you this: I truly believe that if anyone on MangaRaiders ever went professional, it'd be you. The sheer volume of drawings you produce and the commitment to this is amazing, and you're honestly becoming a big inspiration to me.

Keep it the *censored* up. Yo da man.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 03:49:57 PM »
thanks, slamjam, it's comments like yours that keep me going, so we all help each other!
haha i would love to go professional, it would help if i stopped getting colds :P