April 14, 2024, 01:04:12 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Speed drawing/Timelapse Discussion!  (Read 3170 times)

Offline a

• Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
Speed drawing/Timelapse Discussion!
« on: August 10, 2015, 12:00:53 AM »
Okay guys, there was a thread that spawned an argument, with the gist being that people want to actually discuss speed-drawings.

What are speed-drawings?
Speed drawings are recordings of artists drawing a particular subject - usually with music or commentary dubbed over them - that have been sped up and posted to a video hosting website.

What is the purpose of a speed drawing?
Whilst that will depend from artist to artist, they are usually created to show off artwork, show an artists process, to promote an artist or to entertain an audience.

So, let's have a discussion about artists, what we find useful about speed drawings and really anything you find interesting about them!

My favourite speed drawing artist is definitely Aekkarat, also known as "Webang111" on youtube! Here's a link; https://youtu.be/YWb0wl-F1Qg

Feel free to also self-promote your channels/videos in here.

Disclaimer: Please keep all discussion civil. The expressed views in this thread are those of their individual authors, and are not an attack on you, your beliefs or processes.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:32:35 AM by Jamie The Manga Raider »

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
Re: Speed drawing/Timelapse Discussion!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 12:22:56 AM »
Personally, speed drawings are at a very basic level. they are entertaining, but i dont think people actually learn from the commentary. Its usually something far more miniscule than that.

For example, the biggest thing i got out of that speed dawing is mostly that one can adjust and give proper proportions from the very broad layout that was originally drawn. but it doesn't teach you "how" the proportions work.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline DAWM

• Draw Along With Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 02:16:30 AM »
Personally, speed drawings are at a very basic level. they are entertaining, but i dont think people actually learn from the commentary. Its usually something far more miniscule than that.

For example, the biggest thing i got out of that speed dawing is mostly that one can adjust and give proper proportions from the very broad layout that was originally drawn. but it doesn't teach you "how" the proportions work.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I would mostly agree with you, that you don't use speed drawing videos as the ONLY thing to help you. And you're right, I wouldn't tell a total beginner to look up speed drawing videos as a place to start, that would be a bit too much.

My only pet peeve is when people dismiss it entirely or say it is only for entertainment purposes. Especially if you watch a video from someone who draws in a style you like, it really is good to see how they start, how they use their guidelines, etc. It isn't at all an ultimate guide for anything, and less for beginners, but it is much more than just entertainment.

I say this from experience, watching other people's videos and how they draw. It's cool if it is not your cup of tea, but the idea that you can't learn much from them sounds very absolute, and I am not sure anyone can speak with such certainty.

Jamie, the link you posted is quite awesome. For someone like me, I'm deathly afraid of having too many sketch lines when I draw, so I try to minimize as much as possible. But watching videos like that totally show me how someone's original sketch can be crazy messy looking, but they're still able to build a nice line art over it. That's awesome and really, not something I could have known about that artist without seeing the process. That to me is very valuable information.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 02:28:13 AM »
Honestly, i never seen anyone drastically improve or made a significant difference from "speed drawing". Speed drawing and general drawing tutorial videos are completely different. What speed drawing is just generally someone showing off how to draw. Now, if the speed drawing was just a compilation of a series of slow videos explaining how a drawing is done, then thats entirely different. but the spepd drawing is often limited by the artist's style. Which makes it a little more difficult.

Generally, speed drawing shows things are too sped up to really see what photoshop features they used,

Now i'm not saying they can't get anything out of it. but to me, watching a speed draw is the same as a regular one. Except sped up and with techno music and/or someone talking about it.

Its not that its one cup of tea. You really have to look into what Speed drawing TRULY has to offer. It really just throwing ideas and ways to work but its not the text-book "help" that one needs. Anyone can take anything out of it. but its not one that you normally "rely" on.

But Speed drawing is no different from seeing other works either complete or not.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline a

• Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 03:41:49 AM »
Jamie, the link you posted is quite awesome. For someone like me, I'm deathly afraid of having too many sketch lines when I draw, so I try to minimize as much as possible. But watching videos like that totally show me how someone's original sketch can be crazy messy looking, but they're still able to build a nice line art over it. That's awesome and really, not something I could have known about that artist without seeing the process. That to me is very valuable information.

Yeah, i absolutely love this artist! If you check out their blog on their description, there's also a tutorial based speed-drawing on how the artist colours, which was amazing to watch, but i can't find it again :P

Honestly, i never seen anyone drastically improve or made a significant difference from "speed drawing". Speed drawing and general drawing tutorial videos are completely different. What speed drawing is just generally someone showing off how to draw. Now, if the speed drawing was just a compilation of a series of slow videos explaining how a drawing is done, then thats entirely different. but the spepd drawing is often limited by the artist's style. Which makes it a little more difficult.

Generally, speed drawing shows things are too sped up to really see what photoshop features they used,

Now i'm not saying they can't get anything out of it. but to me, watching a speed draw is the same as a regular one. Except sped up and with techno music and/or someone talking about it.

Its not that its one cup of tea. You really have to look into what Speed drawing TRULY has to offer. It really just throwing ideas and ways to work but its not the text-book "help" that one needs. Anyone can take anything out of it. but its not one that you normally "rely" on.

But Speed drawing is no different from seeing other works either complete or not.

Whilst this is a good point, you must remember; We can't make a hypothesis based on our own limited viewpoint. Personally, i've learned quite a few things from speed paints. It's not usually about the tools, but how they're layering colours or how they're building their forms.

I do like your point about how it's the same as watching someone regularly draw, because there is always value in that for me.

Side note; I can't believe i blanked on the word "speed painting" when making this thread.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:43:27 AM by Jamie The Manga Raider »

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 04:16:25 AM »
I personally don't see a use for speed drawing outside of traditional media. When it comes to paintbrushes and ink it's anyone's guess what you'll end up playing around with a piece of paper, but in something like photoshop you could easily just type in R: 100, G: 100 B: 100 and Opacity 30% to get the colors you want. I do a lot of research when it comes to drawing so I can't say my progress is solely to speed drawings.

To me it's only good to understand how to manipulate colors. Books can teach you all about proportions and techniques, but shading and coloring is something that must be seen and performed. I remember watching an artist draw a portrait of a woman with brown hair in crayola colored pencils, and I couldn't figure out for the life of me why this artist colored her hair green in the beginning of video. Now I had seen the end result before I watched the video, so somehow this woman ended up with brown hair. I ended up reading in a colored pencil guide book that you can create darker shades that appear more natural by using inverted or contrasting colors instead of using black and gray.

The first time I used that technique it came out perfectly, but accelerated drawing videos really can't show you how the artist finds proportions, or how the artist can replicate an image. It skips a few big steps in learning how to draw. To me, they're really only good for learning how to manipulate colors and shades in traditional media because working with traditional media requires a lot of faith. It's difficult to imagine that by coloring a woman's hair green, your going to end up with a brunette. When you're working with photoshop you can just go ahead and paint it all the right colors of brown that you want. It's very difficult if you don't have faith that your strokes will turn out correctly in the end, and seeing somebody else do it, and it turn out correctly not only teaches you how its done, but it shows you that you can trust your techniques when you're practicing it.

I spent months trying to learn how to draw gemstones. After a while I'd pretty much given up saying it would be so much easier to just leave this to my digital work. It requires a lot of sharp shapes like squares and triangles which is one of the things a computer is best at. I started watching Leonardo Pereznieto draw a diamond ring and I noticed how much more negative space he was leaving which is why mine always appeared so much darker. Even though I wanted my gemstones to have color, the majority of it needs to be white. The majority needs to be almost colorless. It's generally very difficult to work with negative space with color pencils at least for me it is so I was naturally gravitating away from trying to draw it that way.

Sometimes I'll watch people speedpaint on digital media for fun to see characters that I'm a fan of drawn. It is very entertaining to see a blank page slowly turn into something beautiful

Offline DAWM

• Draw Along With Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 04:26:49 AM »
I think the problem here is that people seem to think in absolutes and extremes. No one is saying that by watching a speed drawing video, you don't need to learn anything else. No one is saying you rely solely on those. But I don't think anyone can say they are useless either. I think everything has its place.

Honestly, I won't judge you because that is your opinion and I won't assume you learn the way I do. But for me, at my drawing level (which isn't professional, I know), speed drawing videos are actually quite useful. When I watch speed drawing videos, it isn't so much to learn proportions and such, but rather to see how an artists starts, how they build their sketch, which color they place first. I know you can't get every detail you'd like such as an in-depth tutorial, but for people who have been drawing for a while, it is really good to watch others. Too many times (I know for me this is true), we get stuck in our own way of drawing or sketching, and it is very refreshing to see someone else's methods.

I think you assume that because you aren't getting much from it, it is that way for everyone. But not everyone learns the way you do, nor are they at the same level you are.

Kesashi brings up a really cool point about traditional media though. Even though that diamond ring video is using traditional media, I could see myself applying it to digital. The negative space as you were saying, the white highlights, etc. Quite cool!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:29:49 AM by DAWM »