March 29, 2024, 06:10:34 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Digital Screentones  (Read 15039 times)

Offline IamKeria

• Fear YAH and Work with Faith
  • Stay Humble
    • View Profile
Digital Screentones
« on: August 02, 2015, 02:42:46 PM »
Hello all,

I am currently working on drawing my first manga for GAINS!!! Leg Day . I was looking into screen tones. I would like to try the traditional style but I also want to do the digital style. The digital software that I use are Sketchbook Express, Inkscape, and sometimes Gimp. I was wondering am I able to download screen tone backgrounds and use them in Sketchbook Express or Inkscape? Or am I better off just buying the Manga Studio or something?

Your input is very much needed and appreciated.

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Screentones
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:54:46 PM »
I wouldn't recommend buying Manga Studio just for some screentones.  Although if you were going to do your entire manga on Manga Studio 5 then it would be worth buying.  It has some great tools to use (I love focus line and perspective tools alot).

If you want screentones then I'm pretty sure you can get a pic online and paste it in (you would have to erase the excess around the character).  If you want to be specific about the screentone like 40% circle and that just PM me your email, the type of file you want it saved as, and the % (0 is completely white and 100 is completely black)

Offline dennyscomics

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 03:51:08 PM »
theres a lot of screentones on deviantart that you can download for free. personally i like screentones that have been scanned in vs an all digital version. the all digital versions seem too perfect/clean and weird to me.

Offline IamKeria

• Stay Humble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »
I wouldn't recommend buying Manga Studio just for some screentones.  Although if you were going to do your entire manga on Manga Studio 5 then it would be worth buying.  It has some great tools to use (I love focus line and perspective tools alot).

If you want screentones then I'm pretty sure you can get a pic online and paste it in (you would have to erase the excess around the character).  If you want to be specific about the screentone like 40% circle and that just PM me your email, the type of file you want it saved as, and the % (0 is completely white and 100 is completely black)

Thanks alot Matsui. I have to look into what % I would like it saved as. I am not too familiar with it all yet. I seen on DevianArt some screen tones that seems about right for my manga. I'll pm you my email save it. I'll be getting in touch with you.

Offline IamKeria

• Stay Humble
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »
there's a lot of screentones on deviantart that you can download for free. personally i like screentones that have been scanned in vs an all digital version. the all digital versions seem too perfect/clean and weird to me.

Yeah i was looking at the screen tones on deviantart. I tried to download it but it wouldn't let me for some reason. I'll try again or what not. But my concern is actually using them in a software. I was reading on a site (forget the name of it) that the downloads only work in photoshop software and stuff. But as Matsui mention that I can just save and copy and past that will be cool too. I'll try that out.

Also the scan version, to be clear you have to get an actual tone page, physically, and scan it yourself?

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
You can either do screentones digitally or put them on the paper and scan them then fix them up a bit on computer.  If you make it really clear for me to see I could try putting the screentones on myself with Manga Studio 5

Offline Nekonomicon

• =^.^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 04:55:03 PM »
Haha, have you tried just setting google images to only give transparent backgrounds and searching 'screentone'? I'd recommend manga studio since it is amazing, but if you are only going to use it for tones it's not worth the money :/

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 04:58:19 PM »
Could get transparent paper and print screentones on top

Offline dennyscomics

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 07:17:51 PM »
you just download the screentone as a jpeg or png or whatever file format it is, drop it into whatever program you are using and overlay it in the appropriate spot on your picture, then erase what you dont need. before erasing just copy the layer so you have a "master" screentone and just repeat where needed.

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 07:45:38 PM »
Actually there are a couple of art styles that don't really use screentones but still can create gray areas...  Hatching/cross hatching, brush style and stippling (but that is basically what screentones are lol)

A*censored*a no Joe (hatching/cross hatching)
Spoiler

Didn't want to search around for a specific manga but here is a brush style shading
Spoiler

Here is a stippling picture I found...  It is very time consuming but if you are really desperate about wanting screentones then you can just put the dots yourself...  (This isn't done by any pro that I know of because of the amount of time it takes to stipple)
Spoiler

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 08:00:50 PM »
Here is a stippling picture I found...  It is very time consuming but if you are really desperate about wanting screentones then you can just put the dots yourself...  (This isn't done by any pro that I know of because of the amount of time it takes to stipple)
Spoiler
I've done this many times before traditionally , so I'm very good at it . The monstrous downside to that is like you've said it , unfathomable time consuming process ... which is why I don't use it when doing a long-term projects .

I'd usually just generate/create the screentone template myself (Digitally , not traditionally . Don't have the resourse for them) . Time consuming , yes , but at least I can easily adjust it to fit the picture's need without having to re-create it again & again . So , I'd agree with the point that it's not worth buying a new software if you're using it only for the screentones as you can make one yourself , both traditionally & digitally (I made mine with Photoshop) .
PM me if you wanted a critique. It takes time for one to come to you, so please be patient.

If you wanted it to be public or private, do tell me.

Offline IamKeria

• Stay Humble
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 08:46:05 PM »
Thanks all. Going to try it out later on with the save and dropping it in inkscape or Sketchbook Express.

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 07:41:17 AM »
You can either do screentones digitally or put them on the paper and scan them then fix them up a bit on computer.  If you make it really clear for me to see I could try putting the screentones on myself with Manga Studio 5

Is it okay to do that, scan them in? Or would thta be copyright infringement or something? Ive seen other artists recommend this but I wonder. Its a tricky area cuz obviously the idea is screentones are meant to be used by everyone. But I imagine the companys that make them expect you to buy the traditional sheets over and over. Whereas you scan it in you dont havta keep buying it :P Doubt that would please em but is there anything actually WRONG with that?

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 02:32:35 PM »

Is it okay to do that, scan them in? Or would thta be copyright infringement or something? Ive seen other artists recommend this but I wonder. Its a tricky area cuz obviously the idea is screentones are meant to be used by everyone. But I imagine the companys that make them expect you to buy the traditional sheets over and over. Whereas you scan it in you dont havta keep buying it :P Doubt that would please em but is there anything actually WRONG with that?
Screentones are pretty much free to use - anybody can use them . Companies mass produced them for cash & for fulfilling demands for it - they don't even bother with copyrighting something that by default everybody's able to make one in their home themselves . It's only for for the consumers who can't make one at home & for those who intend to create something that is entirely traditional & there are plenty of them out there worldwide , so I doubt it's going to piss them off a slightest bit . Since artists need to keep their focus as contiguous as possible while drawing something , they'd rather have something readily-made available next to them so that it doesn't break their focus mid-way in-between work .

As for the more specific kind of screentones like tapestry (?) pattern designs (or any fancy designs or sorts) , well again , the companies selling them don't mind it but for the ones made by other artists , it'll be nice if you ask for their permission first before using them (if not mentioned) ... but it's still better to make your own .
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:37:55 PM by DeAngelus »
PM me if you wanted a critique. It takes time for one to come to you, so please be patient.

If you wanted it to be public or private, do tell me.

Offline IamKeria

• Stay Humble
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 01:18:47 PM »
Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a while. Busy with school but pretty soon I may have the short manga done that I have been working on. I still haven't tried those screentones yet. It's been months! I need to get it together.