January 18, 2018, 10:41:03 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Cliché Powers Vs. Unique Powers - Which is Better for Main Characters?  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Vio

• Listed in the MR blacklist
    • View Profile
*Blows dust off of nearly unused  board*

Basically, is it better for main characters to have cliché powers, like fire, water, light, etc., or to have unique powers, like music, electronics, animals, etc.. ^^
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 10:17:05 PM by Vio »

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
It depends on how 'unique' your main character is without powers to begin with .

Unique in terms of power is something that is different from the general , normal power held/used by the users surrounding the main character in-story . So , if lets say that the extras in the story uses one of the eight elements for whatever purpose it is , in order to make an 'unique' power for your main character that is still in-line with the story , one will need to do something with the current elements given and/or come up with a unique , one-of-a-kind power . One example that does not flow with the concept (unless you are creative enough to do something with it) above would be the ability to launch trains & signboards (or any random object , for that matter) at the target :

Yes ... *Mindgasm intensifies*
Kickstarting MANGA MAVERICKS !
The site's still new , so help the site grow !
Also , it's a site where I'll give my critique to those who want one . So , do join if you want one . I might offer it here too . PM if you wanted one .

Offline dennyscomics

• View Profile
i would go with unique, mainly cause doing manga almost gives you a license to do something not of the norm.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
I would follow with DeANgelus advice more than Dennys.

But also i would add that adding unique abilities are great if their simple and add more room for creativity. Also note that abilities are used interesting ways depending on the user. And manga/anime always make the user use their abilities in interesting ways/motives.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline Akane

• Hermit
  • All suffering is caused by one's incompetence.
    • View Profile
But don't forget, what is your standard of unique? Powers that have never been seen before or just ones that don't appear in your average comic book? Music, Electronics and Animals have been seen multiple times and I wouldn't really count it as unique. Unique for me would be something like the ability to create and manipulate maggots or the ability to create and manipulate cakes, but hey, clichés like pyrokinesis and flying still have a special place in my heart  ;) So far, for my characters, I have used necromancy, aerokinesis, ergokinesis and gyrokinesis(with a katana)
Hidden.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
But don't forget, what is your standard of unique? Powers that have never been seen before or just ones that don't appear in your average comic book? Music, Electronics and Animals have been seen multiple times and I wouldn't really count it as unique. Unique for me would be something like the ability to create and manipulate maggots or the ability to create and manipulate cakes, but hey, clichés like pyrokinesis and flying still have a special place in my heart  ;) So far, for my characters, I have used necromancy, aerokinesis, ergokinesis and gyrokinesis(with a katana)
i wouldn't label those as unique. And honestly what makes an ability "cliche" is more on how its provided. for example: Avatar uses the typical "earth, water, fire, wind" element. very little to explain how the system works, but its a system we're all familiar.

Offline swearzy

• Comrade Stalin, Conspiracy Theorist.
  • I come with tin foil hats a many!
    • View Profile
Unique being like, fire only manipulable if its burning a week old newspaper? Water with salt from Belgium dissolved in it lol,  different paper/salt gives it different properties. XD

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
unique would be by how the rules work with the abilities. in most manga and anime, there are rules on how abilities work.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
My favourite anime and manga have trusted the main characters with what seem like regular abilities in relation to the others, and have their personality carry their narrative

I avoided One Piece for the reason that there's be no way a rubber element ability could ever be cool, but the character really grows on you and Luffy can get quite epic with his creativity

Darker than Black's Heis lightning ability is cool but not only does he encounter someone else with the same ability, there also exist more dangerous unique ones out there. In the end he looks cooler for using sheer skill to survive

I think the same reasoning is behind having Goku lose his tail and Bo staff, for him to have Cliché ' strength. I feel like Cliché should be replaced with regular though haha. Always has a negative connotation in my head

However despite all these regular looking abilities other than interesting personalities the MCs are given certain special buffs in the end from Haki to Super Saiyan. Aang's Air ability could be called regular on it's own but not only is he the only one with it, he can also learn other abilities

So I don't think going with a super unique ability from the start is what makes things work. That also prevents exciting scaling and leveling up, but can sometimes can be a cool subversion of typical anime and manga

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
these buffs are because the rules are placed, breaking the rules slightly is what makes it interesting.

Offline Icanttakecritiscism

• Get out of the way peasant
  • Ew you faggot
    • View Profile
Make cliché powers uncliché, would be my opinion.

Offline michaelkeha

• View Profile
Re: Cliché Powers Vs. Unique Powers - Which is Better for Main Characters?
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 04:17:52 PM »
Some cliché powers you can't get away from no matter what super strength, speed etc and they will simply be a staple of powers till the end of time as for everything else depends on how you portray it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:45:04 PM by michaelkeha »