September 20, 2018, 06:47:48 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Categorizing Posted Works in MR  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Re: Categorizing Posted Works in MR
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 11:27:27 PM »
That could possibly justify why the MR Library theoretically would want to become a separate entity from the forums...

Currently, there is no organized standard to how people choose to organize their stories, whether they have a discussion thread or not, whether it is a completed work or not, the obvious limit on how many characters you can stuff in a single post, and other possible problems I'm not aware of. Some users do a better job than others in this respect.  :unsure: To top it all off, there's little to no chance of exposure once your story gets to be a certain age. It gets shoved down in the plethora of other stories in favor of the new ones, so unless a reader is actively scrolling through those pages, people wouldn't be aware of the works you've done on the site.  :ninja:

Currently I'm more in favor of Matsui Kenshin's proposition. It's the easiest thing MR can accomplish in terms of a Library until we find something more... "official"... to replace it with: giving the author, their works, and the links to said works.
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Offline The SlamJam

• Artist
  • Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 12:27:47 AM »
Whilst this sounds like a cool idea, I don't thin this would be a feasable thing to maintain for a website like this. It would require quite a lot of upkeep, and at the end of the day I don't think it would be something users would actively seek out to use over a long period of time.

So at the end of the day, it would mean high moderation/low user focus. This is just my guess though, based on my experience on the site.

I think something that could work would be to introduce a flair system. Whilst this is based on Reddit, it does allow for users to Self-Categorise their work, and could be useful if integrated into the search function of MR.

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 01:16:03 AM »
You mean something along the lines of Tags? That might work actually...  :-\
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Offline The SlamJam

• Artist
  • Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 01:24:00 AM »
You mean something along the lines of Tags? That might work actually...  :-\

Yeah, basically taking the idea from reddit. http://i.imgur.com/OcLSmuF.png
Satire is the tag, and then there's a post title.

Offline MK

• Super Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 01:46:06 AM »
Whilst this sounds like a cool idea, I don't thin this would be a feasable thing to maintain for a website like this. It would require quite a lot of upkeep, and at the end of the day I don't think it would be something users would actively seek out to use over a long period of time.

So at the end of the day, it would mean high moderation/low user focus. This is just my guess though, based on my experience on the site.

I think something that could work would be to introduce a flair system. Whilst this is based on Reddit, it does allow for users to Self-Categorise their work, and could be useful if integrated into the search function of MR.

Like I said, I don't mind doing the upkeep daily.  It just data entry so it goes by fast. I could probably do all the sections I mentioned in a few days.  Once everything is there then all you have to do is watch for new topics which actually don't come by as much as you think