March 29, 2024, 01:59:32 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: The Art of Jeff Nice (My Portfolio)  (Read 3443 times)

Offline (gieph)

• ronin manga-ka, rad skills for hire
  • lets make our dreams come true!
    • View Profile
The Art of Jeff Nice (My Portfolio)
« on: April 18, 2015, 02:39:15 AM »
Hi! I'm Jeff Nice. Started out as an amateur artist here at MR then turned pro. the last thread I posted already got deactivated or something so I'm starting a new one.

The purpose of me posting my works here is mainly to attract writers to see if they wanna try their fortune getting published. Through hard work and perseverance, I have been able to get a few stories published locally, now I'm aiming big. If I like your story and If we can agree on some basic terms regarding our partnership, like commission rates, partial or full, then let's do it. Now my art isn't spectacular but it has improved since and I'm doing my very best to continually improve them.  But if you think my art style is perfect for your story, feel free to inbox me or better yet, email me at mistermangakaPLZ READ RULES NO EMAIL ADDRESSES.com.

These are a couple of pages I did for an American manga writer currently under review by Yen Press.
Andrew Parietti, still in college but he tried his fortune and commissioned me to draw his story, Welcome to the Machine, and now we're just waiting for the final decision by Yen Press. We are very optimistic about this. I have drawn 3 chapters (60+ pages) already.

Here's a sample page of a manga I do locally and for fun:

Again, I know I still have a lot to improve and learn but If you think my skill sufficient for your story, contact me, let's have a hearty talk about our dreams and visions for the future and maybe we can work something out.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 02:45:03 AM by Jeff Nice (gieph) »
Subscribe to my latest works:
http://www.facebook.com/mistermangaka

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
Re: The Art of Jeff Nice (My Portfolio)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 05:40:43 AM »
There's a drop in overall art quality (or rather a slight difference) between your personal work than your commissioned work . Your personal work is very natural , organic looking , but your commissioned work looks too clean & planned (very 'polygonal') . If you do any commissioned work , be sure to deliver something that is on par if not better than your current art skill & experience . It is a paid work after all ... . Which was made first though , the commissioned work or your personal work ?

Do Yen Press even allow people like you to post works that was sent to them online (like what you've did there) before they ever finished evaluating , approving & publishing it to the public ? I thought that's not allowed due to copyrights , regardless of any comic book publishers ... unless it's being rejected already .
PM me if you wanted a critique. It takes time for one to come to you, so please be patient.

If you wanted it to be public or private, do tell me.

Offline Giladi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 06:47:47 AM »
I wouldn't call it a drop in quality so much as a different kind of style in the commissioned, as opposed to the personal work. The commissioned work strikes me as very sterile. There's nothing wrong with that, but I can't feel the "life" in it that I do in your indeed much more organic personal work. I especially like how you did the old man. I can actually "feel" his flabby skin, very human and lifelike.

But OMG is he unplugging his eyes? *shudders*  :unsure:

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 06:12:28 PM »
I did correct myself there in the brackets , but nonetheless , like you said there . I'm bad at terminologies , so I couldn't find a right term to call it , eventhough I know there's something definitely off with it .

Like Giladi said , your commissioned work feels 'lifeless' , it's as if they're a bunch of constructs to create the images (Polygonal wasn't the right term for that , pardon me there) . I think this is common for those who does their comics in full digital where they rely heavily on quick tools like pen tool & gradients to get the job done as opposed to a more laborious use of brush tool & some self- tinkering .
PM me if you wanted a critique. It takes time for one to come to you, so please be patient.

Offline (gieph)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 11:43:01 PM »
I wouldn't call it a drop in quality so much as a different kind of style in the commissioned, as opposed to the personal work. The commissioned work strikes me as very sterile. There's nothing wrong with that, but I can't feel the "life" in it that I do in your indeed much more organic personal work. I especially like how you did the old man. I can actually "feel" his flabby skin, very human and lifelike.

But OMG is he unplugging his eyes? *shudders*  :unsure:

A manga's overall quality should be judged as a whole. Not by a mere couple of pages. A manga artist should be able to emulate whatever the script is trying to describe. The script described a scene being in a place that looks natural but somewhat betrayed by a feeling of artificiality. The following pages will reveal why.  I would let you read all 3 chapters to showcase how I handle various tone changes the script was calling for the manga but I am allowed (Yes, I have permission) by the writer to post a couple of pages only. Is this a rejected work? I don't know, I am yet to receive updates from Yen Press but DeAngelus seems to have expertly assumed that this is a rejected work already. I wonder if she works for Yen Press to make such assumptions. If so, Then I guess I am in trouble.  ;)

Anyways, as an update for my portfolio here are a few other samples of my work:
-Sketches-

Oh, and thanks for the writers who have emailed me. I will try to read all the stories you sent.  :thumbsup:

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 08:14:47 PM »
I don't know, I am yet to receive updates from Yen Press but DeAngelus seems to have expertly assumed that this is a rejected work already. I wonder if she works for Yen Press to make such assumptions. If so, Then I guess I am in trouble.

... how do you manage to make such deduction ?

Anyways , no , I don't work for Yen Press & I've haven't sent one to them yet . But just like any publishers along with common sense will question what you've did there . You've published locally , so you should at least had that rough understanding on how general publishing works . No matter what & how good their intention & goal is (to serve as a platform for manga/comic artists to showcase their works) , at the end of the day , they still need to make some sort of profit & their profit comes from the readers who buys them . When you send a work to a publisher for evaluation & to get published which just so happen to be the one you've been circulating it to the public both on the internet & real life , if they were to found that out , you'd run a risk of rejection , no matter how good your work is overall (telling them would probably just accelerate this by them giving you an on-the-spot reply) . Remember , Yen Press is selling their magazines to their international audiences , so actions like what you've did there can have a big impact , unlike publishing something locally (and in a country where this kinds of industry is still fresh) . So yes , brace yourself for the worst & pray that luck is on your side , both you & the storywriter (who will feel the full brunt of it) .

EDIT : Since they also had it online , they need that traffic too , if you ask me .

You said you had a few stories published successfully locally , how many stories have you submitted overall to your local publisher ? When did the successful ones got published ? Were all of the stories made by you or you had made some collaboration works as well in your overall submissions ? How does your work measure up to the others submitted in the same magazine at that time ?

You might be thinking 'What's with you hurling at me all these questions ?' , here's the thing , I'm like you now , doing one-shots after one-shots & sending them to my local publisher only to get shot down most of the time (still get a handful of acceptance though) .There was a certain point where I kept sending my one-shots & it kept getting rejected non-stop (for a school magazine) almost immediately & I didn't even bother questioning it until they personally message me saying that they don't accept my art style - their fault for not even stating it in their promotional poster & mine for not being attentive & a complete rookie . But through this error , I learnt a lesson that if I want to make every work I've created counts & giving it a higher chances of it getting published , I won't hesitate to ask - question everything , always do some more research on matters at hand . Imagine all those squandered stories that I'd intend to expand on or me ruining someones else's dream ... someone else's story , all for not being vigilant & cautious ... that would've haunt me forever !

I made an effort to find out their guideline & terms & conditions (a complete one , as I might need it in the future) , but what I've found & concluded is that it's very ambiguous . Haven't you try inquiring some more information on this matter ? There are times when there's things they don't mention in their guidelines , just to let you know . If you haven't , do ask - it's your client's story at stake here , not just your work . If you'd ask me , I've never seen manga/comic who posted contents from their comic/manga to the public that hasn't made it's debut in their respective magazine they've submitted on , only promotional posters & mentions at most (even if it had , I've also noticed that some don't intend to post them up online , most probably to encourage the readers to support & buy them) . I can roughly see why (I just don't know how to explain it) , but more than enough for me to follow suit (Hence , why you won't see me posting manga/comics online) , just to be safe .

Don't get me wrong though , in no way I'm downsizing you by assuming the position of a typical editor at all , I'm just speaking based from my thorough research  observation & experience . You've got mad talent there compared to your earlier works you've made & that's an improvement , if you ask me , aside from foreshortening & anatomical issues still present here & there . I just feel sad such talent gets rejected for mistakes that has nothing to do with art .
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:44:57 PM by DeAngelus »

Offline (gieph)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 01:35:11 AM »
That was some very spirited expression of opinion you got there and I do absolutely agree on what you said about the dangers of posting online without official permission and that is exactly why, if you haven't yet already read in my previous reply, I got permission from the author from which he assured me was okayed by his Yen Press editor. So it's all good, man.

Offline Tyler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 03:24:36 PM »
 Very professional stuff (:  I wish I could offer some advice but I totally understand the whole style switch thing and it having to match the script so there's not much else to say lol. Really solid work, keep it up (:

Offline Nomena :)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 11:53:25 AM »
Very nice and professional indeed,

Doesn't the commission work depends on expectations of the client? Indeed there could be some standards about the quality, but I think as long as the client is 100% or close to 100% satisfied then it's all good  :-\

I'd like to know how long it takes you to make one page on average? I'd like to know what kind of speed I must work hard on reaching  ;D

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:18:16 PM »
That was some very spirited expression of opinion you got there and I do absolutely agree on what you said about the dangers of posting online without official permission and that is exactly why, if you haven't yet already read in my previous reply, I got permission from the author from which he assured me was okayed by his Yen Press editor. So it's all good, man.
Well , I did not get that information bolded in your previous post , which led me to post what I've posted before .

So , did it get a pass from Yen Press ?

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 01:17:06 AM »
Wow, you really did improve quite a bit there Jeff. I think I still follow your DA at random so interesting how far you've gotten. Good stuff.

Wondering the same question DeAngelus asked?