August 18, 2018, 08:00:29 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Tablet Types  (Read 2750 times)

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
Tablet Types
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:19:47 AM »
Almost eveyone uses these things thee days for digital drawing. I had one once upon a time, but admittedly I couldent get on with it. It was very frustrating and a bit uncomfortable on my neck admittedly >< Looking at the screen while my hand drew on the tablet.

Up untill now Ive been using the pen tool in photoshop for lineart. But when I actually think about it, a tablet might be faster. I know I get work done quicker, or at least it feels quicker, sketchign with a pencil and paper. I imagine a tablet for inking would cut some of the time in half if you know what your doing.

Anyway, back to tablet types. Like I said I didnet get on with the one where you havta watch the screen, but Ive heard there are types where you can draw right on the screen. Like using a stylus on a NDS I guess. Theres things like CINTIQ, but of course I woudlent buy something like that unless I was ever earning real money. There are some cheaper alternatives that are about the same price as a laptop, so thats alot more affordable. Tho Im not drawing right now Ive just been thinking about things in general, including trying new things. Curiousty I guess

Anyway, I suppose my question is, anyway got experience with these interactive displays? What do you prefer using? Tablets or a mouse? What do you find works better for you? And is there anything ya'll can reccomend? I think ideally Id like to go with an interactive display if I can, but I want to be careful if I buy summin like that, cuz you cant return such things easily(if at all).

Its too bad you cant try before you buy electonic or computer equipment. I know at least in England you cant :P
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:21:26 AM by stardustpink »

Offline Nekonomicon

• =^.^=
    • View Profile
Re: Tablet Types
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:37:03 AM »
I've had a tablet for almost a year now, but only started using it a few months ago. The reason is when I first got it, it was horrible! It was NOTHING like using a pencil on paper, and every line I drew was horrible.
But
I heard loads of advice about using them, and the thing is, it takes tons and tons of practice to be able to use one like normal. Think about it this way, most people have at least been using pens since they were really young, so they have had years of practice. It takes almost that long to use a tablet (XD maybe not quite as long)

It is worth it though! Currently, most of the artwork is digital, and digital art looks far cleaner than traditional stuff, especially when sent around the world. And when you do get used to the tablet, it is (apparently) faster than a pencil :3

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:45:15 AM »
I've had a tablet for almost a year now, but only started using it a few months ago. The reason is when I first got it, it was horrible! It was NOTHING like using a pencil on paper, and every line I drew was horrible.
But
I heard loads of advice about using them, and the thing is, it takes tons and tons of practice to be able to use one like normal. Think about it this way, most people have at least been using pens since they were really young, so they have had years of practice. It takes almost that long to use a tablet (XD maybe not quite as long)

It is worth it though! Currently, most of the artwork is digital, and digital art looks far cleaner than traditional stuff, especially when sent around the world. And when you do get used to the tablet, it is (apparently) faster than a pencil :3

Does sound a little frustrating admittedly :P But at the same time tempting. Inking with the vector pen tool does take a fair bit of time, might be better to use that for basic shapes or colouing and shading. Just going over the lineart with a tablet pen does sound alot quicker, even if it does take patice to get really good at it.

I guess its the same as any other form of art, gotta practice. Ive always prefered drawing digitally. I love sketchng by hand, but when it comes to colouring and inking I hate it, plus its expensive a hell. I like to sketch by hand first, then scan it in and ink on the comp. I prefer the look of digital art too. Plus with digital art its alot easier to fix a mistake, aswell as pratice cuz you can just do something over again or use layers. Cant do that with tradtional ink and paints, you havta start from scratch

I dont think I did too bad for a first timer when I got a tablet before, but I THINK I'd get on better with an interactive display. Something you can draw direclty on the screen. I prefer holding something in my hand when I draw, or at the very least seeing what Im doing so to speak. They have some for about 300 quid, so thats not TOO bad(better than 2000 pounds anyway, Id havta be a pro to afford sommin like that and not sure itd be worth it anyway if a cheaper works just as well). Anyone use a tablet where you can draw direclty on screen?

Edit: Ah, for that matter, could you use em as well on a laptop?When I had a tablet before it was on a desktop, Ive since moved onto laptops cuz I prefer them. Desktops I find a real pain in the ass
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 02:34:05 PM by stardustpink »

Offline FreezingCicada

• Learning Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 07:14:47 PM »
Depends on the specs of the laptop.
But it shoudnt be much of a difference from a desktop, unless you had a minour downgrade from switching.
Personally. I like desktops more. Just cause I like to sit upright and solid when drawing.
Dont like laying down or relaxing to do stuff.

That and I find laptops to hot. (derp)

As for tablets to buy. I have an intuos. You could look around ebay or w/e to see if anyone is selling a used one. If not, then a cheaper bamboo should be decent too.
I dont see much of benefit of a Cintiq, Sure the screen is cool and all. But when you really focus with an intuos its just as good.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:18:26 PM by FreezingCicada »
DA Account: http://freezingcicada.deviantart.com/
Mostly Fan-Arts!

Offline Boosted Nomena :)

• Symmetry lover
  • Please don't PM me for Free Commission requests
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:36:29 PM »
I have a Tablet HUION H610 Pro of around 75$ and I am doing just fine... why spend so much money on a Cintiq when you can start off really good with something considerably cheaper? It's the equivalent of a medium intuos wacom of more than 200$

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKYDLp_VtdY

They even have a Cintiq equivalent for 580$: http://www.huion-tablet.com/product/product.php?sku=2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNpLygCMF6o
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:43:08 PM by Nomena »
Cheers,
How about some violin :)
https://youtu.be/_u2pb6bj63s

Offline darlingGrim

• Deleted
  • Fight the moe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
I've only used a tablet. There is a learning curve but it's just hand-eye coordination adjustment. Once you get used to it you'll be fine. Drawing with a mouse is horrible I would never recommend it.

I do want to buy a interactive pen display, but I'm currently doing research. A cintiq is considered the industry standard but there are a lot of competitor brands popping up that are much cheaper. The problem is finding out which one is best. Huion, Monoprice, Turcom, Ugee, and there is another one that starts with a Y but I can't remember it (it's either a german or swedish brand).

I recommend a tablet for your first because they are cheaper and can last a long time. You can find cheaper alternatives to wacom in the brands I mentioned above.

Offline FreezingCicada

• Learning Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 08:31:04 PM »
^What industry standard uses Cintqs? O_o

I thought the standard was w/e tablet had 2000+ levels of sensitivity and had a medium sized surface.
Really the hand eye co-ordination is what's important.
DA Account: http://freezingcicada.deviantart.com/
Mostly Fan-Arts!

Offline darlingGrim

• Deleted
  • Fight the moe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 08:44:50 PM »
A lot of professionals use Cintiqs.  Although this might just be because for a long time Wacom was the only brand available. All the alternatives are trying to match or at least compete with the cintiq. Don't get me wrong you don't need something as expensive as a cintiq to make great art.
(infact I really want to try the Huion or Monoprice but at the same time I want a model with hot keys because I'm left handed and so far no competitive brands have hotkeys tragically.)

You might be right, it's probably Wacom itself is the industry standard. Although I can't help but notice all of my favorite artists use cintiqs specifically.

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:51:38 PM »
I agree. Just cuz somethings a brand doesnet make it better. My mp3 Player works just as well as an ipod and it cost much less.

I wasnet thinking of getting cintiq itself, as yknow, it breaks or gets scartched youd havta fork out a fortune to replace it. Seems piontless to me. And if a cheaper alternative works just as well, go for that. But I wasnet sure which one would be a good buy. Unfortunalty its not like you can purchase it and just take it back if its sucks(at leat I know you cant over here, very strict about that).Hench why Im asking around, anyone whos used a simailia hardware would have a better idea

Ideally I would like somethign where you can draw right on the screen, but thats just my prefrence. I guess its a question of research. Anyway, theres no real rush in purchasing anything

Offline fakehero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 09:11:38 PM »
@darlingGrim you could always use usb controllers for hotkeys, i use my wii controller for mine and i find it better.

-Manga Pages
     https://goo.gl/eJCSvn
-Speeddrawings
     https://www.youtube.com/c/notoheroto

Offline Maru

• Can't fall asleep
  • Young Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 09:48:03 PM »
A pro artist I know uses a really old 12 inch cintiq xD. Her drawings are gorgeous. I started off with a small intuos, I have to say that tablet is definitely easier and helps you improve faster than mouse. It takes some getting use to, but yeah I would recommend starting with intuos. I considered getting a bamboo at first but heard some negative reviews about it.

Offline darlingGrim

• Deleted
  • Fight the moe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »
I use an 8 year old wacom bamboo. It's not bad, I've had a different tablet briefly but it's lifespan was much shorter because I'm a mobile artist so I move around a lot. It only lasted about a year...

I imagine that the more expensive tablets like intuos are probably better.

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 10:41:49 PM »

Tablet + Pen & box to the bottom left of the picture , 'unreliable' mouse on my bottom right , what I do on the top right (excuse for my dirty-looking workspace , it has seen better days & might upgrade it when I got enough cash) . Been using it for 8-9 years now , still works like a charm for me (been drawing things as though I'm doing it traditionally) . Got to admit though , drawing something with my monitor as my visual cue is very awkward & uncanny . But I got used to it within months , thanks to my good hand-eye coordination (the other that me stupidly thought that buying a larger tablet = simulates the A4 size paper I usually work on traditionally ... I was so wrong)

I'm a lefty , so a mouse is totally out of question (even more when a mouse =/= pencil simply because a click of it = 100% pressure/opacity) so I'm forced to get a tablet just so I can draw my one-shots digitally (helps a lot) .

If you're starting out digitally , a basic , small tablet (don't get a larger version as it does not translate the way you assume it to do ... don't do what I did before & nearly made my money gone wasted) with a in-built pressure pen sensitivity is a good start as it's what caters to general illustrators of all fields . Those touchscreen stuffs aren't very suitable in my opinion simply because it's made for touch convenience , not for illustration (a simple mouse even more) .

Buying better tablet =/= better artists , just to let you know . Start with basic tools .
A lot of professionals use Cintiqs.  Although this might just be because for a long time Wacom was the only brand available. All the alternatives are trying to match or at least compete with the cintiq. Don't get me wrong you don't need something as expensive as a cintiq to make great art.
(infact I really want to try the Huion or Monoprice but at the same time I want a model with hot keys because I'm left handed and so far no competitive brands have hotkeys tragically.)

You might be right, it's probably Wacom itself is the industry standard. Although I can't help but notice all of my favorite artists use cintiqs specifically.

Freelancers will , but the ones working in some company will use a much better tablet . Also (a reply to Liodie as well) , GENZOMAN uses a Bamboo as well & he's a professional artist .
PM me if you wanted a critique. It takes time for one to come to you, so please be patient.

If you wanted it to be public or private, do tell me.

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 03:44:44 PM »
There are some reviews of the Huion/Yuinova type interactive displays on youtube.  I've never really looked into it seriously, but as far as I can tell, they're held to be decent for what you'd pay for one, but the performance is not on par with a cintiq.

Offline IamKeria

• Fear YAH and Work with Faith
  • Stay Humble
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 11:55:43 AM »
Hi Stardust.

The tablets are great imo. My first tablet I got was about in 2007 I believe. It was the Wacom Bamboo tablet. It was so weird using it for the first time. I had only used three times. Until my brother dog chewed up my stylus.....gosh I despise that mut. Anyways, I just recently got a Huion. Everything seems to be working perfectly. It's just like paper to me at least. It wasn't that weird like it was with the Bamboo. Also, I know Huion has an interactive tablet. Last I checked it ran for about $500 dollars. I was going to go for that but I stayed with in my price range and got the $75 one first lol. I think the cheaper ones are just as good as those with the touch screen interface. Here is a pic of my Huion. I Can't seem to find my bamboo tablet at the moment.

Spoiler

Spoiler