March 28, 2020, 05:02:25 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: ONE PIECE: Why you shouldn't take inspiration from it.  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
ONE PIECE: Why you shouldn't take inspiration from it.
« on: March 18, 2015, 08:35:10 PM »
One Piece, a popular manga among boys and men who were once boys.

Many of these get inspired to make their own manga, and the vast majority of the time One Piece always seem to be the main inspiration. One Piece however, is a very unique manga. It is manga that's hard to justify why is so incredibly popular, and because of that, not even their own fans understand 100% what makes it so great.

So when these attempt to make their own manga with inspiration from One Piece, they use what they believe makes it good. The heavily over-simplified premise, a character with a generic goal, and a group of quirky characters is usually what ends up when you see.

First off know One Piece's strengths and what makes it good.

Luffy is a happy-go-lucky character who is annoying, eats a lot, and is overly cheery the vast majority of the time. That is NOT what makes him interesting. In fact, if the author did not recognize how annoying those qualities are, then none of the readers would continue to like him. Luffy is interesting by the fact that he has other hidden qualities. Qualities that other characters see and are moved enough to join him.

One Piece wouldn't be so interesting if Luffy had a character not as interesting if the first crew members were just as annoying as he was, and didn't do much to earn luffy's trust and vice versa. When you see Zoro join Luffy's crew, thats were the curiosity of the duo and how it will be.

Luffy's hidden qualities is that he's kind and will do anything to help his friends. Luffy is often just a tad unpredictable, and its that unpredictability that catches other characters by surprise.

One of the strengths of One Piece is how each time Luffy manages to add in one more crew member each time. Each new member being more interesting and seemingly more difficult to earn Luffy's trust. (although certain ones also see the unity within the crew more than Luffy himself).

Second off, the world of One Piece. One thing is for sure and that is that the world itself wasn't the strongest aspect. Not at first. The world was mostly that of a pirate vs navy and searching for the one piece treasure. There are some more and more quirks that make this world interesting, but its clear as day its 100% original. Many ideas were based from other sea stories, but there were also many more original ideas never taken from anywhere else.

WHAT TO REALLY GET INSPIRED FROM ONE PIECE:

One Piece has a distinct formula. Luffy's character both the face-value and deep-rooted ones is what makes him good. When creating a character, do not get inspired by  his character type. Luffy is designed to appear annoying at first (and characters recognizing that) and then luffy surprsiing thme to see theres more than just that.

Recognize that when you create a character happy-go-lucky is often associated with "ANNOYING" and "TYPICAL". If you choose to create such a character, know that its not his initial qualities that will make your reader enjoy him, its the other characters being more realistic and grounding the story. It is them that will help you connect with the quirky odd (annoying) character and ignore the annoying qualities for the good ones.

The world doesn't need to be explained 100%, but there needs to be a "system" or "law" in this world that is clear to see and must be consistent. despite not being 100% clear in the first few chapters of One Piece, there was a strong consistency at least with the world. What kind of time-frame there is. What kind of culture its inspired from and what limits there are. these are all things to take consideration.

Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline NO1SY

• Bartender for the MR Pub's Happy Hour!
  • Life is LOUD!
    • View Profile
Re: ONE PIECE: Why you shouldn't take inspiration from it.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:01:29 PM »
I think you need to distinguish more between Luffy's character being "Quirky", "Happy-go-lucky" and "Odd", as opposed to "Annoying". I for one have never found Luffy's character annoying (to me, although his actions and personality are distinctly annoying to other characters in the One Piece cast), but I agree with the other observations of his character.

I do generally agree with your post though. People often get swept away in the huge adventure that One Piece promises with it's story concept alone and thus it inspires people to want to create their own, often without realising that this 'One Piece Formula' isn't what ends up making the series good or successful (at least nowadays). There are a lot of factors that owe to the success of One Piece outside of the writing aspect though, including it's general charm and whimsical portrayal of pirates - which I think people don't actually give enough credit when they wonder why their action adventure idea doesn't get the response they expect.

It's great that you are pointing out some of the aspects that work to the story's advantage and show where the series has been well written.

So I'm not saying that people shouldn't enjoy One Piece or these other series, or that they shouldn't be inspired by them in many ways. But I do agree with Lorenx that as a writer people should be wary of trying to emulate One Piece and should instead be focussing more on the aspects of the writing that are transferrable as she has pointed out :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:12:45 PM by NO1SEY »

Offline GingerStark

• Social & Political Scientist
  • There is no single truth, only contingent theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 07:03:53 AM »
That's a really good post which should be quite relevant to some writers here on MR  :hmm: Could you explain more about a system in the world being consistent? I didn't quite understand that.

Offline TomBombadil

• Manga Writer Extraordinaire
  • Writer, producer, and graphic artist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 08:11:19 AM »

As of right now I think one important thing to take away from One Piece is how Oda has become a master of mixing the serious with the humorous as of late. In the past three arcs he has done this twice to us, once on Fishman Island in the case of Sanji's nosebleeds, and again with the character of Mr. Pink. I think being able to hit on heavy themes with the icebreaker of humor is pretty important in terms of easing the reader into a setting, character, or idea. That being said not everyone can do such a thing, and Oda's understanding of it has come from loads of experience.

Offline Crackhead Johny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:02:02 AM »
Luffy's hidden qualities is that he's kind and will do anything to help his friends.
I'm rather unfamiliar with one piece (I think I saw a movie once).
That sounds like the generic frame work for a Shonen MC. After that it is what paint they put on the character.

Bleach:
he's kind and will do anything to help his friends. Painted with cool loner/angsty teen.

Yu Yu Hakeso
he's kind and will do anything to help his friends. Painted with bad boy

Naruto
he's kind and will do anything to help his friends. Painted with mental handicap

DBZ
He's kind and will do anything to help his friends. painted with loyal to friends/family (He this is an old series give it some slack)

Gurren Lagann
He's kind and will do anything to help his friends. Painted with... Umm? has a robot?

Soul eater
He's kind and will do anything to help his friends. Painted with bad boy/brat (IIRC)

So it sounds like One Piece is
he's kind and will do anything to help his friends. Painted with clown (Vash the stampede, Cobra, Kenshin [not OVA Kenshin!], etc).

The serious clown is very old. In anime I think Cobra (the blond clown in red, whose arm turns into a gun) is the first I can think of doing it but odds are it probably was around in ancient greek stories.

The reason for this mechanically, is that you cannot keep people on the edge of their seats forever without them becoming desensitized. So a laugh here and there allows the audience to relax and then when the writer ramps up the drama/tension/excitement/etc again it seem more intense.
The opposite also works. If you are writing comedy people will begin to desensitize after laughing hard for too many pages straight (or they will just quit breathing and die). So stepping away form the laughter for a sec may also help there.

Offline TomBombadil

• Manga Writer Extraordinaire
  • Writer, producer, and graphic artist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:38:54 AM »
The reason for this mechanically, is that you cannot keep people on the edge of their seats forever without them becoming desensitized. So a laugh here and there allows the audience to relax and then when the writer ramps up the drama/tension/excitement/etc again it seem more intense.

He does use it in this sense often, but as of the last few years he has become a true master with it. Two case examples being:

Spoiler
After time skip Sanji has been on an island full of cross dressing men for around two years, and has not seen any women. This is characterized when he returns with the humorous and stereotypical anime nosebleed when he sees women. However, when they get to the Fishman Island (an island full of fish people) Sanji sees mermaids. While being in close proximity to one he has a nosebleed so bad that it shoots him three stories into the air and it passes out. Hilarious, but all of a sudden Sanji has lost so much blood he might go into shock, and Oda uses this as a device to build background on the island. When asked for blood for Sanji they are told there is a law on the island prohibiting fishmen from giving blood to humans. Humans had fishmen enslaved for so many years that there is an overwhelming hatred for them, and the anger is palpable. It becomes apparent after more background information that Oda has made an environment that can be seen similarly as many nations undergoing racial struggle en mass. 

However a more recent chapter hit us harder with this example:

Spoiler
In the current arc we are introduced to a character named Senor Pink, we is a large man dressed up as a baby. As he is in a fight with Cyborg Franky in which both of them refuses to block each others attacks (Franky relating it to drinking shot for shot at a bar, and a sign of manliness) Senor Pink takes Franky three stories up into the air. While they are airborne he mentions that he is so high he may be able to see Gimlet and Lucianne. His attack fails to put Franky down and as the he is beating Senor Pink down Oda hits us with a flashback of the pirate when he was younger and skinny. Dressed in a suit he meets a beautiful woman who falls in love with him but says she "hates pirates" to which Senor responds that he works for a bank. We get flashframes of them getting married and having a kid, and then Senor Pink has to leave to help his crew. When he gets back his wife reveals that their child had caught an illness days after he had left, and had passed away. She also states she had contacted the bank and that she knows he is lying. Distraught, she runs out into the rain and the next frame we see is her lying as a vegetable in a hospital bed. Senor comes back to visit her, and happens to find his sons headcover, and his binky and puts them on joking with her to try and make her happy. This enacts a smile from her as she still lays as a vegetable. Oda does this in two or so pages efficiently with quick flashes, and adds depth to a character that before that moment had seemed silly. 

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 01:11:36 AM »
Luffy's hidden qualities is that he's kind and will do anything to help his friends.
That sounds like the generic frame work for a Shonen MC. After that it is what paint they put on the character.

Bleach:
he's kind and will do anything to help his friends. Painted with cool loner/angsty teen.

Yu Yu Hakeso

Naruto
he's kind and will do anything to help his friends. Painted with mental handicap

DBZ
He's kind and will do anything to help his friends. painted with loyal to friends/family (He this is an old series give it some slack)

Gurren Lagann
He's kind and will do anything to help his friends. Painted with... Umm? has a robot?

Soul eater
He's kind and will do anything to help his friends. Painted with bad boy/brat (IIRC)

he's kind and will do anything to help his friends. Painted with clown (Vash the stampede, Cobra, Kenshin [not OVA Kenshin!], etc).

The serious clown is very old. In anime I think Cobra (the blond clown in red, whose arm turns into a gun) is the first I can think of doing it but odds are it probably was around in ancient greek stories.

The opposite also works. If you are writing comedy people will begin to desensitize after laughing hard for too many pages straight (or they will just quit breathing and die). So stepping away form the laughter for a sec may also help there.
Luffy does it far different....basically his demeanor changes when it comes to his friends. But basically his haply go lucky, idiotic persona he pushes off isn't the real deep luffy...granted,  even when he is serious, he's straight to what he wants.

Either way though the difference with the others is that they made friendships and helps them out with relationship they built. Luffy isn't that way. But he does take strong in satin to goku from dagon ball. So yes, his unique aspects aren't 100% original as they were inspired from another character

Offline Akane

• Hermit
  • All suffering is caused by one's incompetence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 04:13:58 AM »

Bleach:

Yu Yu Hakeso

Naruto

DBZ

Gurren Lagann

Soul eater

Luffy does it far different....basically his demeanor changes when it comes to his friends. But basically his haply go lucky, idiotic persona he pushes off isn't the real deep luffy...granted,  even when he is serious, he's straight to what he wants.

Either way though the difference with the others is that they made friendships and helps them out with relationship they built. Luffy isn't that way. But he does take strong in satin to goku from dagon ball. So yes, his unique aspects aren't 100% original as they were inspired from another character

For gurren lagann, wouldnt it be "Painted with the sanity that most Shounen Jump characters forget"
And Naruto is mentally handicapped? I thought he was just stupid, I didnt know he was retarded. I have to take back every bad thing I said about him.

Hidden.

Offline Miles Montgomery

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 04:20:28 AM »
I never took inspiration from One Piece. I just took inspiration from anime in general. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one either.

Offline Synctual

• Are You Nasty?
  • Miss Jackson! Miss Jackson! Miss Jackson!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 04:55:57 AM »
Man am I guilty of this on so many levels.  :blush: Yeah, I had so many story ideas that were really inspired by One Piece too much. I don't know why but I just kept thinking of One Piece when it comes to making manga. I haven't worked on a story in quite some time as I've been wanting to get into the art of drawing manga instead of just writing it. I'll make sure to come back to this thread before I start writing.   ;D

Put This Here To Make You Sad
My Story
Rock Star! (Shonen)

Offline Akane

• Hermit
  • All suffering is caused by one's incompetence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 06:22:15 AM »
Well, I think dont you shouldn't take inspiration from shounen in general. All of them have ridiculously overpowered MCs, ridiculously faithful supporting characters and a "badass" villain. If only there was a completely opposite manga...
Hidden.

Offline Synctual

• Are You Nasty?
  • Miss Jackson! Miss Jackson! Miss Jackson!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 06:36:06 AM »
Don't take inspiration from shounen? Well if you want a successful shounen manga, you need inspiration from somewhere. Look at Naruto and One Piece, the main protagonists of both series were inspired by Goku from Dragonball Z. But they still are very different in so many ways. As for what you said about shounen, yep, that's shounen for ya. Strong protagonists, even stronger antagonists that will later be surpassed, and a simple yet interesting story. That's what makes shounen so popular.  ;D After all, it's meant for a younger demographic like teens 13- 18 years old, so what'd ya expect.  8)

Put This Here To Make You Sad
My Story
Rock Star! (Shonen)

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 11:30:34 PM »
What makes shonen great most of the time is that it doesn't underestimate its readers.

Good character development, pacing, and not to mention a simple but expansive concept.

Offline CptCog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 01:10:40 AM »
Taking inspiration and copying for the sake of it are two different things. I see a lot of people quite literally taking the plot from the first chapter of One Piece and changing it to fit their world. There have been many good points brought up here. For me, I think the worst thing about copying shounen is most people don't understand the complexities underlying every decision made. For most things, every story has a reason, whether or not this is apparent to the reader. The reason One Piece is so popular is because everything has a meaning. For example,
Spoiler
the face Usopp uses to scare the girl in the newest arc was the same that Enel had, alluding to the fact of Usopp getting Haki
. It's this minor complexities which build on one another and give stories depth. Not only this, but Oda paces very well. He understands when a break is needed from the action, or when ramping up the tension is good. From a scientific stand point, humans primary stimulus for manga is their eyes. This information is transported to various parts of the brain where it's given meaning. This causes the firing of specific neurons. We naturally look for patterns and connect these firing neurons together. That's why if you continue a story at the same pace, the neurons become linked together and begin to fire at greater volumes. But because of this, it becomes familiar to us. It loses the edge of excitement we get from seeing it for the first time. That's why pace is necessary. It's so that our attention can be caught by new and exciting stimuli. The same stimuli over long periods of time simply makes us lose our attention. But the same can be said for the opposite. continually introducing new stimuli makes too many separate neurons fire. We give no meaning and make no patterns in what we are reading. That's why in a good story, you are usually presented with a problem. Bits and pieces of the problem will be given to you, and as time goes on, connections are made between these bits and pieces, until you finally figure out the big picture.

Ok, that carried on alot longer than I wanted haha. And there's so much other stuff i want to say but i'll leave that for another time...

Offline Master of Vuric

• Writer - Animator - Anime/Manga Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 05:32:06 PM »
People do need to realize the difference between being inspired by something and straight up emulating a series. Fairy Tail is often accused of being a ripoff of One Piece, and it's fans will usually jump to the defense with "well they were both inspired by Dragon Ball, so of course there are going to be some similarities". If you're inspired by something that doesn't mean the product you create has to be in anyway like it. I was inspired by One Piece because it has a fantastic, intricate and oftentimes complex story, memorable characters and settings, and unique charm which sets it apart from anything else I've ever read/seen, manga or non-manga. So I want to write something that has a fantastic, intricate and oftentimes complex story, memorable characters and settings, and quirky charm which sets it apart from anything else. But I don't want to emulate the qualities which make One Piece unique. And if you do, which I'm sure many amateur manga writers have, then you're not finding your own voice. I'm not trying to bash Fairy Tail when I say this, but a lot of people like it because it is standard shonen, more of what they already love, same with Bleach. Those series aren't trying too hard to be something different like One Piece (and to a lesser extent Naruto) does. I mean does anyone here want people to say "yeah, I love that guy's series because it's just like One Piece, and I love One Piece"? You want your series to be distinguishable from everything else.