March 29, 2024, 11:05:50 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Anyone knowledgeable about Japan interested in being writing partners?  (Read 4834 times)

Offline Canislupus54

• View Profile
Basically, I've set a story in Japan, and I'm stubborn so I don't want to change it to someplace I know more about. I'd prefer to have someone fact and culture checking me. Their involvement can be as minimal as that, or as large as co-writing.

The story is basically an inverse of the popular "character is sent to a fantasy world" story. That is, a fantasy character is sent to modern Japan.

I've taken two years of Japanese and been interested in Japan for a while, so I know the basics. I particularly want information on high school life. Knowledge of organized crime would also help with a plot point I'm considering.

If anyone is interested or knows where I can find someone interested, reply or PM me. Thanks for your time.

Offline S8N

• Overseer of Hell
  • Author/Writer
    • View Profile
To be honest, there's a lot you can derive about Japan just from watching anime or reading manga. Though many aspects of it are probably stereotyped in some way, it is these stereotypes that makes it in the mainstream products. This eventually bends the audience to accept these stereotypes. That being said, you don't need to know a lot about a culture to understand it. Just observe, and you can get results.

The second thing I want to point out is your creative take. Down to the core, a story is what an author had imagined and created. There's a lot of room for differences between one and the next. The point of view of your protagonist (IE: Optimistic) also can heavily impact how scenes are portrayed.

If you are persistent to sticking true to reality, there's probably a handful of us that has been in or knows much about Japan. It's very similar to the western world, and the Japanese makes great efforts in considering themselves westerners. However, like any country in the world, they have both urban and rural areas, as well as their own language and traditions. These things aren't exactly hard to identify, and if you need em in your story, chances are you can google them up.

I love your idea of the story. For all y'all who have watched Wonder Woman, I feel as if the character will be similar to Diana :D (Good movie, watch it everyone). Best of luck, and choose whatever path is best for you.
~~~
S8N

Offline Canislupus54

• View Profile
To be honest, there's a lot you can derive about Japan just from watching anime or reading manga. Though many aspects of it are probably stereotyped in some way, it is these stereotypes that makes it in the mainstream products. This eventually bends the audience to accept these stereotypes. That being said, you don't need to know a lot about a culture to understand it. Just observe, and you can get results.

The second thing I want to point out is your creative take. Down to the core, a story is what an author had imagined and created. There's a lot of room for differences between one and the next. The point of view of your protagonist (IE: Optimistic) also can heavily impact how scenes are portrayed.

If you are persistent to sticking true to reality, there's probably a handful of us that has been in or knows much about Japan. It's very similar to the western world, and the Japanese makes great efforts in considering themselves westerners. However, like any country in the world, they have both urban and rural areas, as well as their own language and traditions. These things aren't exactly hard to identify, and if you need em in your story, chances are you can google them up.

I love your idea of the story. For all y'all who have watched Wonder Woman, I feel as if the character will be similar to Diana :D (Good movie, watch it everyone). Best of luck, and choose whatever path is best for you.

Thanks for the serious answer. It's not so much about being realistic so much as it is not breaking suspension of disbelief. My initial plan with with this story was to finish it and try to get it published, so I figured that would be prudent. It's looking less and less like I'm going to be able to find someone though, so I may have to settle for posting it on Wattpad or something.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
man i lose count watching anime that main character got sent to fantasy world, you better make sure about this

i ll be rooting for you whatever you do