November 18, 2017, 06:17:28 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Poll

what is your family's reaction concerning your manga passion

they hate it because they think it's pervert or violent
3 (5%)
no reaction: they think it's only a teenager hobby
25 (41.7%)
they are interested and congrat your art
18 (30%)
you hide your manga passion so they don't know about it
14 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: how do your family react concerning your manga passion?  (Read 15790 times)

Offline MusicFreak8800

• The little girl who always sings ^^
    • View Profile
Re: how do your family react concerning your manga passion?
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »
It's kinda separated into sections. My mom doesn't really care. As long as I just get good grades and concentrate on school, I can watch, read and draw manga as much as I want to, in her opinion :D My dad loves Pokemon or just cartoons in general, so I suppose his fine with it ;) My older brother on the other hand thinks it's weird (except for the drawing thing), and think I should do what other teens in my area does. But I just think "you're the one to talk" :tongue:

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
i recently found a cousin who is actually working on getting his novels published. he likes manga, but i guess cousins dont count.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline Nabe Man

• oh noooo. coffee jitters *shakes uncontrollably
  • dissecting and analyzing
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »
In my family its just my mom and all she told me was " i Dont care what you do as long as you are successful and able to take care of yourself" so i am not sure if she supports me.

Another thing is my teachers and peers keep telling me I have a lot of potential to be a doctor and they will support me with all sorts of things to assissts me on that journey but I am like too scared to disagree with them and to refuse there offers.

So I was on my own on this journey but I stumbled on  this site so i am getting some support required. So its going great!!!! :dance:
file:///D:/gardevoir.gif

Offline Hikari

• Gambler
  • Sage of NET
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
In my family its just my mom and all she told me was " i Dont care what you do as long as you are successful and able to take care of yourself" so i am not sure if she supports me.

Another thing is my teachers and peers keep telling me I have a lot of potential to be a doctor and they will support me with all sorts of things to assissts me on that journey but I am like too scared to disagree with them and to refuse there offers.

So I was on my own on this journey but I stumbled on  this site so i am getting some support required. So its going great!!!! :dance:

its your life amigo, itll be hard to do but at some point you are gonna have to stand up for what you want. If they are trying to live through you then that is just wrong

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2014, 10:35:32 PM »
Well I'd say your mother's advice is pretty solid. Following your dreams is great and all, but not starving to death is even better. fulfill your basic needs before striving to reach your goals. one step at a time.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Ink on Fingers

• Don't just think about wanting to make something happen - make it happen.
  • Inky fingers - the sign of a true manga artist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2014, 02:14:23 PM »
My dad loves Studio Ghibli and anime in general; he bought me and my sister our first manga drawing book (The Complete Guide to Drawing Manga) and buys me manga for my birthday, which is awesome. :D My mum thinks we're all odd reading manga and watching anime but she supports my drawing, which is also good. My sister thinks I'm kinda strange but likes my drawing (she isn't into manga like I am), and my little brother's too young to care. The rest of my family don't know, but I'd probably be treated as a freak by my cousins and their mother and father, and it's gonna be revealed someday. :) Ah well. . . I never liked them anyway.

I'll stop procrastinating soon! Probably. . .

Offline Vacant

• MR's official no.1 rapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »
Well I moved out so my family don't really know what I watch or read now, but when I lived with them and I was getting into it, it wasn't like I'd sit in the living room and watch it. Since Anime is pretty much non-existent on UK TV, you can either buy the DVD's or watch it on the internet so thats what I've done. I've broken mine down, since I have a few siblings.

My youngest brother likes Anime, but since we don't live together, we rarely discuss the topic or watch anything together. It's more along the lines of "Have you seen.....?" "Yeah it's good".

My sister doesn't care. My older brother doesn't really care, but he did like pokemon, DBZ and still watches that so I bet he would like it if he delved into the world of Anime.

My oldest brother saw me watching  a Death note DVD one night. He loved it, but I think Death Note is one of the few that can cross the "border" in that it's not just for anime fans.

My mother thinks Japan in general is an odd place. Can't argue with her there tbh, but then everywhere has its oddities and bizarre customs. She also thinks Anime is too violent and a bit twisted. I would argue, since it is in a cartoon form, blood and gore will be taken over the top, just because they can get away with it.

And My Father, he just thinks its cartoons and wonders why a 23 year old is still watching them.

Offline MK

• I read everything on MR
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2017, 03:30:09 PM »
Reviving a really old topic but I like the idea of it.

My dad fully supports it and encourages me to keep going.  We have a deal that if I work a (full time or part time) job then I can do my art and stay at his place.  He actually likes it so much that he prints out my digital art and hangs it in his work office.

My mom on the otherhand doesn't really care too much.  I can easily tell by her reactions whenever I show her my art.  It doesn't really have to be drawn in an anime style, but she just doesn't care too much about art in general and wants me to do other things in my life.  She accepts it as something I like to do but doesn't really want to be involved at all.

My parents are divorced but my stepfather actually likes my art as well.  He's pretty much as supportive as my dad is but he doesn't try and print everything.

I did tell my dad it'll probably take several years since I started pretty late and he said as long as I keep some kind of job then it doesn't matter how long I stay.  My dad knows that when I get enough money off of my art to live off of or if I get a high enough paying part time job in which I can still do art full time.  In my family, job=being productive in life=set your own rules.

Edit: made this long post about art.  While i don't really consider my art manga, it is still heavily influnced by manga. 
My family about anime/manga:
Dad: used to buy anime/manga in the past, but nowadays he ocassionally watches anime with me and that's it.  His bookcase has like 50-100 volumes of manga, and about 2 movie cases of anime.
Mom: doesn't care at all
Stepfather: watches anime quite often but never when my mom wants to watch tv (which is pretty often).  He doesn't like manga because it feels like it the missing action and color that anime has.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:54:33 PM by Matsui Kenshin »
Stalk me here
Want a commission?  Join the waitlist here
Ask me if you need constructive criticism on art or panel layout.  Practice and constructive criticism are the fastest ways to improve