April 18, 2024, 06:20:14 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Poll

How do I need to improve in my writing and attitude?

Random criticism 1
1 (33.3%)
Random criticism 2
1 (33.3%)
Random criticism 3
0 (0%)
Everything, I just know you suck for some reason. Just trying to give you some constructive criticism.
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Writer/Creative Director looking to collaborate with an artist  (Read 5866 times)

Offline kevinnagy

• View Profile
Writer/Creative Director looking to collaborate with an artist
« on: February 09, 2015, 10:21:51 AM »
Hello, I'm a writer and creative director, currently working as a screenwriter for a comedy show in Sweden but I have loads of other projects on the side. I've always wanted to make a manga and I've had this awesome idea for a bloody and sexy Tsundere/Sci-Fi/Time Travel/Superpower story. I aim to publish and I'm looking for a talented manga artist who wants to make the story come true and feel equally passionate about the story.

I've had bad luck with artists before where after a while, they feel stressed out because of my high standards, but it's not my intention to stress them. I just have a very clear picture of how I want things to look. I need someone with a strong will to make something great. My philosophy about this project will be that it doesn't matter how long it takes as long as it looks great in the end.

The prologue is already written and pretty much the first chapter too, currently having some storyline problems though (because I'm unsure if I use all the potential of the idea). I've also got some drawings from a very talented artist, but who sadly didn't have confidence enough to continue, no matter how much I encouraged her.

Please E-mail or pm me with examples of your work and I'll give you more details of the story.
I hope you're out there somewhere!

EDIT: Disregard the replies on this post. If you're an artist who knows a good story when you see one and can consider collaborating with a professional writer, even if there's no direct pay. Send me an e-mail or a PM and we can discuss it further, without the whole wide world poking around in other people's business.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:49:58 AM by kevinnagy »

Offline kinre

• View Profile
Re: Writer/Creative Director looking for Artist
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:28:57 AM »
just to say your email wlil be take away later when they see it

and maybe you are asking too much from a artist . as what i see from your post. well don't know the detail so can't say for sure.

but you should be more detail about how you going to work with the artist.
trying to be pro drawer

Offline liuxess

• Love ya! <3
  • I would kill you, but that would stop your pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:33:21 AM »
Gonna add to what kinre said
No emails or links under 20/25 posts
Edit the title with paid/unpaid
And if you're going to stay here,  why don't you go over and introduce yourself in welcome centre?
I don't create stories, I relive them ;)
I'm in development of one right now, so please check it out:
 http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,15050.0.html
If you want me to check out YOUR story,  just PM me.

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 11:29:06 AM »
Btw you gotta change the title to collaboration, unpaid or paid...  If you do paid you will get artists swarming on you (sort of, though it will be 100 times faster than unpaid)

Offline kevinnagy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 02:53:57 PM »
just to say your email wlil be take away later when they see it

and maybe you are asking too much from a artist . as what i see from your post. well don't know the detail so can't say for sure.

but you should be more detail about how you going to work with the artist.

Ah, well, doesn't matter. People can still e-mail using the e-mail button right? Were just trying to make things easier. I just ask for what's necessary to succeed, but I feel like most artists are lazy when it comes to profit sharing, but I work hard making the stories and just trying to say that I'm looking for someone that works equally hard. How I'm going to work with the artist? I think that's up to the selected artist and me to decide together.

Offline kevinnagy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 03:01:35 PM »
Btw you gotta change the title to collaboration, unpaid or paid...  If you do paid you will get artists swarming on you (sort of, though it will be 100 times faster than unpaid)

No *censored*, do people want money? I think some people out there are ready to sacrifice a bit to later earn the money after their hard work though, and I can't afford to pay someones salary, I'm just a simple man that wants to make some art with a like-minded artist and hopefully make a livelihood out of it.

Offline liuxess

• Love ya! <3
  • I would kill you, but that would stop your pain
    • View Profile
Re: Writer/Creative Director looking for collaboration with Artist
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 03:09:08 PM »
What if you leave in the middle of the job? Then all the hard work artist has put into his work will be for nothing...
And believe me,  you're not getting an artist in the way I see it.
You're not the first one and not the last one who came here demanding an pro hard working artist.
And you're not the first and not the last to fail in their search
I don't create stories, I relive them ;)
I'm in development of one right now, so please check it out:
 http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,15050.0.html
If you want me to check out YOUR story,  just PM me.

Offline Aozora

• MangaRaiders Long-time Member (10-Year Anniversary)
  • Author of Hikaru Rising
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 03:36:16 PM »
@liuxess: Chill man. Don't be so harsh with your advice.

@kevinnagy: Hey Kevin, no need to get fired up. While it may seem as though the current members on here are shooting you down, it's quite the contrary. Millions of newcomers, including myself when I first joined, have come and done exactly what you just did: make a post in search for an artist immediately after joining the MR site.

And we can't blame for you that. I mean the purpose of this site is to help match together writers and artists right? Wrong! Yes, that's right; that is not what this sight is meant for. This site is actually a community of artists and writers who create friendships and help improve each other's skills through feedback and review.

This misconception that this site is meant for matching artists and writers is partly to blame on how this site is portrayed. I mean why does this site show up as the first or second option when searching in "looking for manga artist" right? But that's a different issue altogether. The main point I'm trying to make here is that this site is a community not a job posting. If you want to quickly find an artist and then move on with your life, then this may not be the site for you. But if you are looking to improve your skills, build connections, and be part of a community, then MR is the perfect site for you. Through making friends on here, you will eventually develop enough comfort and closeness between you and other members to the point where you can ask them to do small favors for you, like drawing rough sketches of your characters or a map--things like that. But until then, you must patiently make friends with artists and show off your story/skills to prove that you are indeed a good writer. Because at the end of the day Kevin, the simple, harsh, unequivocal truth is that you will not be able to find artists no matter how hardworking, dedicated, exceptional, etc etc. you are unless...money is involved. But then again, who the hell am I to tell you to stop trying right?  ;)   

Offline kevinnagy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
Seriously... What is it with you guys...Why do you even comment on this? I didn't write that I was searching for judgemental pricks. I don't want friends, I want a talented artist. I'm usually a pretty calm and understanding guy, all artists who've worked with me have appreciated my guidance and thoroughly enjoyed working with me. The serious tone in my post is due to that I really want someone serious to work with this time who doesn't leave in the middle of the job, yes @liuxess you heard that right, THEY leave, not me. I'm more than willing to write a contract that states I can't leave the project unfinished.

Actually, I've been pretty successful in finding artists through this site, it's just the first time I've created my own post where I search for the artist and not the other way around. If it was an artist looking for a writer writing this post, I think you all would be singing another tune.

There's a lot of people considering themselves writers out there. But I really am a writer. I don't feel like revealing the story to strangers, because it's private.

PS: just want to note that they leave bevause they feel like they want smaller projects and don't want to sacrifice their free time but they still are quite interested in the project and I still chat with them.

Double PS: I'm writing this on my phone, so don't even think about correcting my text and disown me as a writer.

TRIPLE PS: I haven't DEMANDED an artist @liuxess. By your post it seems like I've offended you some way. I'm just trying to be straight to the point this time because good-guy Kevin isn't getting anywhere. Sorry if my straight to the point attitude offended you.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 04:23:20 PM by kevinnagy »

Offline MissChurro

• ~Queen of Kawaii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 04:24:49 PM »
Hey guys, no arguing please...

Kevinnagy, trust me, even if it may sound harsh, they're just trying to help. It's how our site works, and we want to help people achieve their goals, because we've seen too many fail in the past. Artists are scarce at the moment and 9 out of 10 times they won't jump on offers, especially unpaid, unless they are friends with/know the writer well. If you happen to be that lucky #1, congratulations! But if you're not that lucky, we're just giving you advice on how to improve your chances. If you want to try it your own way, go right ahead! Nobody's stopping you. In fact, a couple members have been able to find artists through their own methods. We're just letting you know the most efficient method thus far. :thumbsup:

Offline kevinnagy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »
I'm sorry, long day at work. ^^ Don't think everyone were "just trying to help" though. I'm aware of the lack of artists but didn't think it could hurt to make a post stating I was searching for one.

Offline darlingGrim

• Deleted
  • Fight the moe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 11:25:21 PM »

You will never get a "Talented Artist" for free. NEVER.
The only exception is if you are close friends irl and even then their lives come before your project.

Sorry, but a talented artist will be able to be paid and why on earth would a talented artist that can't make money off their skill do work for you for free. When you've already said expect high quality work for nothing. I can image a talented artist slapping something together for you at maybe 10% of their effort, but really hate you.

Also they lie, because they don't want to hurt your feelings. Do you know how many projects I've said "it's a good idea I'm just not ready for it". Too many.

Yes they were just trying to give you a warning, and you immediately went into defense mode. The first three or so were literally just giving you information to help you get an artist. No ill intent. Which is a bad sign for any artist. Btw, if they are working for free they always get a say in the story how would you react if they thought a certain part of your story was dumb? Would you automatically go on the defense like you did here? Would they have to walk on eggshells to tell you about parts they dislike?

Also how do you plan on presenting the story to the artist? You don't plan on forcing them to read your story do you? Have you written it in comic format script? Or drawn storyboards? Or did you just throw walls of text at them and expect them to wip up a page? This is why we suggested you put more detail on how you are going to work with an artist. Do you even have character designs? Are you a writer that actually describes the characters or leaves it the readers imagination. Remember character refs always work best and takes design work away from the artist.

Other than the basic story genre you've provided nothing. Promises of a great story come a dime a dozen.

Offline AmanoMai

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 02:03:49 AM »
I don't want friends, I want a talented artist.

job

you need a different friend

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:16:03 AM by AmanoMai »

Offline kinre

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 03:11:39 AM »
first of all, there is less artist then writer, that is true. and does artist work free? well that have to see who you talking to

2nd does artist lazy then writer? well that you will have to be a artist to know.as a writer you can't reallyo say that the artist are lazy.

3rd does artist work hard? well from what i see most manga are only done by artist not many artist like to work with a writer. why well only artist will know and even the artist say it our the writer will never agree.(beside the exp 1)

4 does this arguing help you with any thing? well at last more people are viewing it , and at the same time people can understand what type of person you are.

5 if you really think that your story so well why not just make it in to a novel ?

6 manga is not as easy as you think.  if you think is easy you are welcome to draw it your self.

7 why artist want money? well i guess that is very simple to understand, why not you just give your story to other people who want to make your story to manga.  and if you think that is stupid think about it you are asking people to do the same thing.

last thing  working together, beside money, the best way to get a artist is also your skill, working together skill.
and base on what you say i take it that you don't really know how to do it.
and if you are thinking that it is best that the artist choose, then i will tell that i am very sure that most artist will love for the writer to just make a sketch/name/storyboard/panel . although saying that most writer not able to do that.
so in the end is all about the writer skill , nothing much about the artist.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:29:04 AM by kinre »
trying to be pro drawer

Offline Sukebe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 03:27:47 AM »
^
lol no offense kinre, I understand what you're implying but I had a hard time comprehending.