December 12, 2018, 06:49:01 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writing Chapters  (Read 2383 times)

Offline gamermikelds

• Is Is Is and Is Is Not Is Not
    • View Profile
Writing Chapters
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:21:53 PM »
How should I write chapters of a story? Should I do it like a novelist does, or something else? Because manga are comics, and have small amounts of dialogue in a panel when dialogue is present. Would it be better to write in a playwriter's fashion? I don't really know.

I'm no good at drawing, so I don't think that, if I were to find an artist to do the whole manga for me, I'd be convincing enough with a storyboard.

I've looked at different writing styles on here, but I'm not really sure what to do in this regard.

Offline Emperor Z

• The last Emperor-King
  • I am the Good Emperor. Call me Z
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Chapters
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:49:36 PM »
Great Question. Contrary to popular belief Comics, and Anime are not written in the same format as Novels, or Screenplays. I write all of these, however there are differences and for good reasoning.

When and if you ever submit your manga for publication, or to an artist they are going to look for it to be in a special format. This begins witht he synopsis, which varies in length from story to story, but is about 1-3 pages in general. After the synopsis the script is being broken down into page summaries, panels, actions details and dialogues. This video gives an indebt explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wu37WhaY8s

I highly suggest clicking that link, also here are some actual published comic strips.

http://www.comicbookscriptarchive.com/archive/the-scripts/

Offline gamermikelds

• Is Is Is and Is Is Not Is Not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 11:58:32 PM »
That actually fits in more with what I was thinking. It's nice to have knowledge of authors who wrote that way.

Offline Aozora

• The Not-So-Prolific Writer
  • Occasional writing - feel free to review
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 01:07:20 AM »
I think it just comes down to personal preference really. You can experiment with different writing styles and see which one works best for you.

1. Novel Prose http://www.wikihow.com/Format-Dialogue-in-a-Story
2. Screenplay http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Screenplay
3. Manga Scritp http://ifanboy.com/articles/writing-comics-scripting-programs/

Finally, here is a great image for you that illustrates the differences between a screenplay and a comic/manga:

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Check out my stories here: http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php?topic=12492.msg213349#msg213349

Offline NO1SY

• Bartender for the MR Pub's Happy Hour!
  • Life is LOUD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 08:01:06 AM »
ONLY STORYBOARD/SCRIPT WHEN YOU ARE PRESENTING TO AN ARTIST.

If you want help with developing and writing your story, write in a novel or play-script style so that it can be read and easily understood and gives the most amount of descriptive detail you think is needed. Because when there is no art, readers have to rely on their imagination to envisage what you are telling them and get a full enough picture to then help you.

You can always script and storyboard after the fact. So best way to write a story is however is most comfortable to you so that you can tell the whole thing, and then you can focus on how it needs to be presented to an artist.

Readers on here should never even really have to see the script or storyboard for the artist, it's a middle part of production in between 2 'complete' ways of showing your story fully and only for use by the artist. We should see a piece of writing or a comic strip.

An important consideration when you are writing however, is to keep in mind the rough number of pages the piece will end up being in a comic strip form, as you have to aim for consistency in length and good pacing.

Obviously if you want help with scripting or storyboarding then that is a different issue.

Offline Shiratori

• Writer
  • Author of Clashing Feelings
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »
ONLY STORYBOARD/SCRIPT WHEN YOU ARE PRESENTING TO AN ARTIST.

If you want help with developing and writing your story, write in a novel or play-script style so that it can be read and easily understood and gives the most amount of descriptive detail you think is needed. Because when there is no art, readers have to rely on their imagination to envisage what you are telling them and get a full enough picture to then help you.

You can always script and storyboard after the fact. So best way to write a story is however is most comfortable to you so that you can tell the whole thing, and then you can focus on how it needs to be presented to an artist.

Readers on here should never even really have to see the script or storyboard for the artist, it's a middle part of production in between 2 'complete' ways of showing your story fully and only for use by the artist. We should see a piece of writing or a comic strip.

An important consideration when you are writing however, is to keep in mind the rough number of pages the piece will end up being in a comic strip form, as you have to aim for consistency in length and good pacing.

Obviously if you want help with scripting or storyboarding then that is a different issue.
Great advice! I wouldn't have said it better myself.

Story by: Shiratori / Art by: Pete

Offline NO1SY

• Bartender for the MR Pub's Happy Hour!
  • Life is LOUD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 07:34:28 PM »
You get quite well versed in it after a few months of repeating it to yourself and to newbies :P