November 21, 2017, 10:33:15 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Nomena Art & Tutorials at reply 124, p.9  (Read 19633 times)

Offline AmanoMai

• View Profile
Re: Nomena's Artwork
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 12:57:55 AM »
good stuff , Nomena
I think these practices that you thought up are great

I would really, really suggest transitioning to digital at this stage.
digital drawings allow you to explore your drawing space much more, with zooming features and all.
unlimited fixing is nice too

I heard you have a job, and a tablet is only around 60$ these days, even cheaper if it's second hand.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 01:11:44 AM by AmanoMai »

Offline Boosted Nomena :)

• Symmetry lover
  • Please don't PM me for Free Commission requests
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 01:42:41 PM »
yeah, guess you are right about that...and it seems digital stuff are also really popular amongst artists nowadays...

I would like to go for a more traditional style because it's more pleasing to my mind (LOL), but I will definitely try out a tablet with perhaps Manga Studio...do you have any recommendation about which mark to choose?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:33:42 PM by Nomena »
Cheers,
Subscribe to my youtube channel (^_^)
http://www.youtube.com/c/NomenaAlrina

Offline AmanoMai

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 10:17:26 PM »
it's the trend is because it's convenient
many artists still prefer traditional though
but then you'd have to buy professional G-pen, ink, manga paper, screen tones if you want to be serious about it.

you can make it look exactly like traditional drawings
just use the pencil tools
it'll be the same as drawing with pencil

still, if you want to draw manga then pencil is only for sketch.

I'd recommend a wacom tablet
if you want a new one , then get the new intuos pen or pen&touch model :
http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Medium-Tablet-CTH680/dp/B00EN27UC2/ref=lp_293865011_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422933042&sr=1-2
if you want 2nd hand, the intuos 3 is good :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacom-INTUOS3-6x8-PTZ-630-Medium-TABLET-with-Wireless-MOUSE-for-all-Mac-Windows-/181644885761?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4ae0ff01

try to get either one at medium size, small is ... too small, and large one make your movement clumsy.

wacom product are... alot more expensive than other companies, but they are in good quality. (and overrated )
I haven't used any other brand of tablet so I don't have any tips on them, sorry.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:21:10 PM by AmanoMai »

• Symmetry lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 11:06:01 PM »
Eeeeh, I already went in frenzy last year to buy a traditional art supplies...started off by going to a local store here but the only most related manga stuff advertised online they had was copic markers...then I took the only drawing nib pen and chose some ink they had...and bought a lot of other stuff to try out even thought that was supposed out of my budget...

But I still was obsessed with the real thing and even though I hate online shoppings, I went to ebay and bought: trial deleter pen, deleter ink, manga paper...the shipping just made it worst ... so I am really careful not to waist them

Thank for the tips, I'll think about it  ;D
Cheers,

Offline AmanoMai

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 01:56:15 AM »

Eeeeh, I already went in frenzy last year to buy a traditional art supplies...started off by going to a local store here but the only most related manga stuff advertised online they had was copic markers...then I took the only drawing nib pen and chose some ink they had...and bought a lot of other stuff to try out even thought that was supposed out of my budget...

i know that feeling, traditional supplies are much more expensive than they appear to be
and the cost piles up as time goes by

then again, there's no rush into it, we're trying to improve rather than making a finished product.

• Symmetry lover
    • View Profile
Re: Nomena's Art moving to digital (2 page collaboration with danielking2210)
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 06:29:29 PM »
Oh well, after reading all the reviews and hearing all the praises online, the stingy me settled for the cheaper HUOIN H610 pro...still exploring it but satisfied up to now

I'll probably start with manga studio soon because GIMP seems not follow pen pressure

But for now I used GIMP to revive 2 pages storyboard from danielking2210, it's about his one shot manga project entitled "WAITING"...you can find and discuss about it here (http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,12838.0.html)

I just rearranged the 5 last pages into 2 pages

Check the link in my signature if you want to participate

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:16:44 PM by Nomena-Alrina »
Cheers,

Offline AmanoMai

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 12:51:17 AM »
the HUOIN H610 pro looks really cool

these pages looks great, clean and to the point.

the lines is abit shaky, there's a feature called "anti aliasing" in MangaStudio that can help with that but not sure what it's called in other program. basically turn anti aliasing abit up and draw quick, decisive strokes instead of slowly moving the line. you'll find your self drawing much smoother line art.

also, i think rather than bland white pages, some extra effect would be nice:

Spoiler
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:01:08 AM by AmanoMai »

Offline Killer B !!SAMA!!

• I GOT U THERE PERVERT AJUSSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 04:20:09 AM »
nc advice amano mai yeh thats manga

• Symmetry lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 05:56:58 AM »
AmanoMai > SUGOIIIII, my heart just skipped a beat  :heart: ...I found  anti aliasing in GIMP ... I am thinking of exploring this software a bit more so I will try reproducing your Manga studio advise with it...that way I may learn both at the same time
Cheers,

Offline AmanoMai

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 06:06:59 AM »
AmanoMai > SUGOIIIII, my heart just skipped a beat  :heart: ...I found  anti aliasing in GIMP ... I am thinking of exploring this software a bit more so I will try reproducing your Manga studio advise with it...that way I may learn both at the same time

antialiasing has 2 type:  speed and length
I'd advice using the speed type ( it'll take effect based on how fast you move your pen)

basically just draw fast and decisive strokes

GIMP should have pen pressure sensitivity.... I think..?   
maybe it has something to do with the settings of either the program or the brush it self

have fun exploring  ;)

• Symmetry lover
    • View Profile
Nomena's 8 pages Valentine special Part 1 (The wordless world of Ash and Nash)
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 05:44:29 PM »
So I've been brainstorming a little bit about a short story to tell, to continue my practice...

Just in the spirit of valentine's day, I came up with some random role play...there isn't a single words in this story, because my exercise was "Trying to convey everything only through the art"...I leave the dialogues up to the reader.

Hope you get the point, otherwise please let me know which part is not clear... the story is to be read from right to left as any other japanese manga.

"Ash" stands for "Ashley" and "Nash" is just "Nash" ... I just thought it sounds good to rhythm their names in this way   :love: ... and that's my hand writing by the way, I just had a lot of fun  ;D

Spoiler

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:48:45 PM by Nomena »
Cheers,

Offline AmanoMai

• View Profile
i like the idea of wordless story
it's very heartwarming

great improvements on drawing manga pages, I can see the digital thing working out for you, your pages are becoming much more polished

now then, I'd like to spend a moment to talk about "page impact"
there's no need to be too stingy when it comes to paneling
when something is supposed to be making a huge impact, it deserves to get more panel space
as such:
Spoiler

Offline Julius Caesar

• Yo!
  • Recruiting group, working on anatomy & 1shot ideas
    • View Profile
Yo!

Nomena that's some good work, it's good I've seen 2 starters round the same time as me post work early. I'll keep an eye on you and him (mangaka_expert)

Only thing I could say as it's on my list of stuff to work on as I improve would be proportion but I'm sure someone has probably mentioned it already.

Welcome btw, looking forward to more posts from both of you to keep me motivated!

-Tony
“I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.”

Offline Julius Caesar

• Yo!
  • Recruiting group, working on anatomy & 1shot ideas
    • View Profile
Yo!

Nomena that's some good work, it's good I've seen 2 starters round the same time as me post work early. I'll keep an eye on you and him (mangaka_expert)

Only thing I could say as it's on my list of stuff to work on as I improve would be proportion but I'm sure someone has probably mentioned it already.

Welcome btw, looking forward to more posts from both of you to keep me motivated!

-Tony

I beg your pardon, Nomena! I hadn't seen the second page of work which shows your proper work, and on a tablet even, I'm envious, the huion tablet you have, cintiq equivalent? (as in can draw on the tab)

I'm still working on hand eye coordination with my intuos pro. Seeing Sophie Chan's work with an intuos 3 convinced me it can be done (manga or good pieces of work with any tablet before the cintiq range for wacom)
so I won't give up.

Anywho that's some good work.

note to self: get to the end of the post before typing anything.  :-X
“I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.”

• Symmetry lover
    • View Profile
i like the idea of wordless story
it's very heartwarming

great improvements on drawing manga pages, I can see the digital thing working out for you, your pages are becoming much more polished

now then, I'd like to spend a moment to talk about "page impact"
there's no need to be too stingy when it comes to paneling
when something is supposed to be making a huge impact, it deserves to get more panel space
as such:
Spoiler

Thanks Amanomai, that looks wonderful, I'll keep track of page impact in the future  :thumbsup: ... I am still trying to finish the other part for now...I hope it will be at least ready for the real valentine's day (LOL)

I beg your pardon, Nomena! I hadn't seen the second page of work which shows your proper work, and on a tablet even, I'm envious, the huion tablet you have, cintiq equivalent? (as in can draw on the tab)

I'm still working on hand eye coordination with my intuos pro. Seeing Sophie Chan's work with an intuos 3 convinced me it can be done (manga or good pieces of work with any tablet before the cintiq range for wacom)
so I won't give up.

Anywho that's some good work.

note to self: get to the end of the post before typing anything.  :-X
Thanks Frimps,
No problem at all but just in case you don't know, in events like that you can also jut hit the edit button and edit your older post.
Well I am also new to drawing tablets, and I decided for the huion because it's a highly recommended alternative to wacom ... basically you can do similar things with both of them... it is just the wacom seems to have some extra features and looks cooler...but I also love the design of huion

You'll get used to mapping your eyes and the computer, I think it was faster for me because I am used to do stuff in the computer with the mouse.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:39:57 AM by Nomena »
Cheers,