March 29, 2024, 02:07:14 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: sumghai's Star Trek gallery  (Read 16538 times)

Offline sumghai

• Daga Kotowaru.
  • I'm not good at writing these things.
    • View Profile
sumghai's Star Trek gallery
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:13:32 AM »
I've been attempting to draw a number of Star Trek OCs using the art style used in Gundam Build Fighters for quite some time, as well as the 2409 uniform designs from the Star Trek Online MMO.

Here's my initial WIP pencil sketch:

So far I've inked and colored one character, the captain of the Federation starship Odyssey:

I've also finished inking/coloring the First Officer and Tactical Officer, and am almost done with the Operations Officer, but I'll wait until I've finished all nine members of the ship's senior staff before posting them here.

Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.

Offline WhiteCrow

• Society X Origins undergoing changes
    • View Profile
Re: sumghai's Star Trek gallery
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:25:36 AM »
At first I looked at the pencil drawings and thought to myself "Way too light." But then I looked at your inked version of the Captain and the level of detail is awesome. Are you trying to make a fanfic? Oh and welcome to the team by the way!

Offline sumghai

• Daga Kotowaru.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 03:36:05 AM »
At first I looked at the pencil drawings and thought to myself "Way too light." But then I looked at your inked version of the Captain and the level of detail is awesome.

Thanks for the compliment!

Yeah, it's a tad bit light. However, before I imported the scanned sketches into Paint Tool SAI, I did increase the contrast so that I could make out the finer details. I must've accidentally uploaded the unadjustmented version to dA.

Are you trying to make a fanfic?

Sort of. I've been working on adapting the MMO missions into individual story episodes for a hypothetical TV series, or possibly even a fan-made anime.

So far, Season One covers the Klingon War storyline, while Season Two consists of the Romulan Mystery, the Secrets of Nimbus and the Reman Resistance story arcs.

At the time of writing, I'm 1/3rd of the way planning out Season Three, which will cover The 2800 (aka the "lost" Dominion fleet that disappeared into the Bajoran wormhole) and the Breen/Deferi conflict.

One of these days, I'd like to figure out how to share on these forums links to my notes, but that will have to wait until I come out of new user probation :P
Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.

Offline GingerStark

• Social & Political Scientist
  • There is no single truth, only contingent theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:58:58 AM »
Ohh, now this is something new; manga and Star Trek! I like this a lot!  :thumbsup: I can't wait to see how this develops  :dance:

Offline Dr.Striker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
Nice, can't wait to see how the Enterprise is portrayed (or whatever ship they are in).

The Sec. reminds me of Ensign M'Giia from the old star trek game

Spoiler

Offline sumghai

• Daga Kotowaru.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 06:11:53 PM »
Cheers for the kudos, guys :)

Ohh, now this is something new; manga and Star Trek! I like this a lot!  :thumbsup: I can't wait to see how this develops  :dance:

Actually, Tokyopop published four volumes of Star Trek: The Manga between 2006 and 2009. The first three was based on The Original Series (Kirk, Spock, Bones et al), whilst the fourth volume was based on The Next Generation (Picard, Riker, Data, Worf et al).

I saw some scans of the TNG volume a while back, and it featured a story where Wesley Crusher (the alleged kid genius son of the ship's doctor) gets caught in a transporter accident that causes him to rematerialize (in no particular order), a girl, a Klingon and an Afro-American. The expressions on the bridge crew's faces after each transformation were priceless XD

Nice, can't wait to see how the Enterprise is portrayed (or whatever ship they are in).

Captain Zhang and co. are assigned to the USS Odyssey, an Intrepid-class Long Range Science Vessel and the last of her kind by the time of my fanon series' setting - it just so happens to be the same class of ship as the more-famous Voyager.

I drew up a Master Systems Display (MSD) for the Odyssey, and I would love to share it with you guys. But I'm not sure where I would post non-manga art on these boards (or whether I should just PM you guys with the URL).

As for the Enterprise, because my fanon is based on the official Star Trek Online MMO continuity, the Enterprise-F is captained by an Andorian named Va'kel Shon.

The Sec. reminds me of Ensign M'Giia from the old star trek game

Spoiler

Ah, Starfleet Academy? I went on a YouTube binge one lunchtime watching a playthrough!

Now that you mention it, there are indeed some similarities between M'Giia and my Security Chief (Mirra Shran).

ASIDE: Mirra as Security Chief was a bit of an accident - when I first started playing Star Trek Online, she was one of the default starter Bridge Officers available to new players who completed the tutorial. Later, I was able to recruit other BOffs of the species and genders I wanted, but by then I had grown quite fond of her presence, so I kept her in my crew.

Also, as her surname suggests, one of her ancestors is Commander Thy'lek Shran from the Star Trek: Enterprise TV show.

Offline Alkyun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 06:35:56 PM »
Your pencil sketches are pretty good, the inked and coloured ones are....A-meijin ahaha-*gets shot*

But in all seriousness the inked and coloured picture has exactly the same art style used in Gundam Build Fighters (and Try by extension)! I love it! Well Done and good luck with your project, I'm not a star trek fan but I adore the art style so I'll check this topic out for updates!

Offline Dr.Striker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:19:02 PM »
Yup. Starfleet Academy. You should really play it, it's really not the same to just watch a playthrough than actually playing it and blowing up Klingons as if their ships were made of paper mache, trust me it's really fun and a totally different experience, it's really well done. I never finished it though, so I never what happened with Giia and the Captain. ::) (But I'm pretty sure what happens with those two in end  ;))

The colored character seemed neat and proper and well done, I like the simplicity of it. Moreover, I notice the X.O has that Ryker's hairstyle and a bit of his epic beard of manliness, is that on purpose?

Offline sumghai

• Daga Kotowaru.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 09:11:43 PM »
Your pencil sketches are pretty good, the inked and coloured ones are....A-meijin ahaha-*gets shot*

Heh - I'm also really tempted to suggest that the Tactical Officer's red uniform and Advanced Tactical Training would make her three times as awesome as her colleagues XD

Yup. Starfleet Academy. You should really play it, it's really not the same to just watch a playthrough than actually playing it and blowing up Klingons as if their ships were made of paper mache, trust me it's really fun and a totally different experience, it's really well done. I never finished it though, so I never what happened with Giia and the Captain. ::) (But I'm pretty sure what happens with those two in end  ;))

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out someday.

The colored character seemed neat and proper and well done, I like the simplicity of it.

:)

Moreover, I notice the X.O has that Ryker's hairstyle and a bit of his epic beard of manliness, is that on purpose?

Another happy accident ;)

The appearance and personality of the XO, Cmdr. Thomas Richardson, is loosely based on a good friend of mine, a great chap with a mild stubble. When I realized how similar he was to Riker, I decided to develop his fictional counterpart as being the confident and steadfast Manly Man foil to the Sensitive Guy captain.

Of course, the difference between Riker and Richardson is that Riker was a bit of a womanizer, while at the start of my fanon, Richardson is already engaged to his long-time girlfriend, the Odyssey's counselor.

Offline Dr.Striker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 07:11:21 AM »
Ah haha yeah it was to much of a coincidence not to be Will Ryker.

Of course, the difference between Riker and Richardson is that Riker was a bit of a womanizer, while at the start of my fanon, Richardson is already engaged to his long-time girlfriend, the Odyssey's counselor.

:hmm: Wouldn't worry too much about that, I recall Riker being with Deanna Troy at some point.. or someone else, I can't quite remember well. Still, that didn't stop him from getting laid with the entire galaxy anyway. Even the Klingon ladies fell for his epicness in an episode I remember.

Offline sumghai

• Daga Kotowaru.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 05:42:25 PM »
Ah haha yeah it was to much of a coincidence not to be Will Ryker.

-snip-

:hmm: Wouldn't worry too much about that, I recall Riker being with Deanna Troy at some point.. or someone else, I can't quite remember well. Still, that didn't stop him from getting laid with the entire galaxy anyway. Even the Klingon ladies fell for his epicness in an episode I remember.

Yeah, Riker and Troi briefly dated prior to the start of TNG, and they broke up when Riker was reassigned and had decided to focus more on his career. They would eventually rekindle their relationship in Insurrection and get married by Nemesis.

Fun facts -

- Riker was originally an expy of Kirk, but once the former grew his beard, he gained a bit more gravitas and became more responsible

- Riker and Troi's relationship was partly based on that of William Decker and Ilia from The Motion Picture; Decker and Ilia were originally slated as new senior officers aboard Kirk's Enterprise in the cancelled Star Trek: Phase II TV series

Offline Dr.Striker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 01:57:56 PM »
Yeah I always thought those two were too similar.

Ryker was basically a less reckless and less ambitious version of Kirk.

once the former grew his beard, he gained a bit more gravitas and became more responsible

With great beard, comes great responsibility.

Althought, while Ryker is awesome, if you start making the fanfic I think I'd be more interested in the originality of the characters, generally in Star Trek characters tend to be all very different from each other and with personality traits that stand out a lot, to make their cohabitation in the ship more interesting I think. Some are very exaggerated, like Data or Worf.

Offline sumghai

• Daga Kotowaru.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 07:33:10 PM »
Yeah I always thought those two were too similar.

Ryker was basically a less reckless and less ambitious version of Kirk.

-snip-

With great beard, comes great responsibility.

Indeed :)

Althought, while Ryker is awesome, if you start making the fanfic I think I'd be more interested in the originality of the characters, generally in Star Trek characters tend to be all very different from each other and with personality traits that stand out a lot, to make their cohabitation in the ship more interesting I think.

Agreed wholeheartedly - that is the beauty of IDIC.

I'll be PMing you with some stuff in just a moment.

Some are very exaggerated, like Data or Worf.

Flanderization, especially of non-human characters, makes it easier for the writers to make social commentary on the "human" condition in Trek.

Worf is a particularly interesting case because his passionate and morality-driven strict adherence to an idealized version of honor is actually the exception rather than the norm compared to other Klingons, who are portrayed as little more than Proud Warrior Race thugs (a case of My Species Doth Protest Too Much).

I've decided to post a sneak preview of my first four main characters from Twitter (in hindsight, I need to fix the left shoulder thingy on the operations officer):

Offline sumghai

• Daga Kotowaru.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 04:41:10 AM »
So, it's been quite a while, but after settling down at my new job and generally being busy for a good part of a year, I finally found some time to revisit this little project - I've inked and colored the Andorian Security Chief and the Cardassian Science Officer:

TODO:
 - Chief Engineer
 - Chief Medical Officer / Ship's Doctor
 - Ship's Counselor

Offline sumghai

• Daga Kotowaru.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 06:49:58 PM »
Another update - I altered the shoulder areas of all the existing characters to better match the original design from the Star Trek Online MMO, and added the Andorian Chief Engineer:

TODO:
 - Chief Medical Officer / Ship's Doctor
 - Ship's Counselor