December 14, 2018, 03:14:27 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Life At Sea: Fortune's Chance  (Read 6393 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Life At Sea: Fortune's Chance
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2018, 07:49:23 AM »
Thanks! To be honest, I didn't want it to be entirely clear who was speaking at first. After all, everyone is standing in the dark. At least between Coryn and Lego that is.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandEggnog

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2018, 08:30:11 AM »
Well you certainly pulled off mirroring the confusion! ;)

Offline Santa's Little Fro Elf

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2018, 10:33:29 PM »
Ah, gotta love a good mutiny. Reminds me of the mutinies from the first Life at Sea. The image of Sai just curb stomping his entire crew still sticks with me.

Loved this chapter, Coryn. The action in this one was pretty good. I'll admit though, I gotta do some more research on parts of a pirate ship, and ships in general. While I do get a good sense where everything is, having a lack of knowledge with ship terminology sometimes makes it hard for me to get an exact image in my head.
Messatsu...

Offline yulemaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has nice snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2018, 03:56:47 AM »
Damn that was some intense action. The thing that Life At Sea does for me is not only remind me of first stumbling upon Pirates of the Carribean with zero expectations: A true swashbuckling adventure for the ages but also that it's down and gritty. I haven't thought of a broken nose in MR stories in ages, because everyone's usually just powering up and exploding everything in sight.

Also The More You Know. I just figured out why bowling pins (From bowling) are called bowling pins because I had to google what you meant and saw where they're used. It's little objects that these that my vocabulary is empoverished of. Stuff you see in movies or every day life all the time but don't have a word for.

Haha the thing getting chopped up reminded me of a scene similar to Kill Bill where The Bride cuts that kids' sword to pieces? But I'm pretty sure it was done in another movie with an adventurous theme to it.

Wait how did I know he was named Percival?

Good stuff Coryn.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2018, 07:51:39 AM »
#fro: thanks! I wanted to be reminiscent, but to move past it quickly. I'm not here to tell the same story twice if I can help it. Although this is still about pirates looking for a treasure, so there's going to be some similarities.

And have no doubt, that I spend a lot of time writing these chapters with several other tabs describing ship terminology. I only it may come off as confusing, but there's really no way to describe these things without the correct terms. It's just that everything on a ship has its own terms which are unique to ships.

@lego: than you! Gotta get rough sometimes. And you can refer to my above rant about ship terms.

As for why we instinctually knew his name was Percival? Who knows. Maybe he just has one of those faces.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2018, 06:10:28 PM »
Alright then. Sorry to anyone who was looking for this chapter last week. Holiday weekend meant putting it on hold for a week. But it's here now! Thus concludes my third story rotation of the year, which isn't a bad number since that adds up to 12 chapters across 4 different stories. So I can officially claim my long ago stated goal of producing one chapter/month of something.

Enjoy!

CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 6: AT LAST THE PLOT

The dawn came bright and early over the Charity. The Siren's Bounty had pulled back alongside her after the victorious pirates had signalled it, and now the crew from it were busying themselves keeping both ships in line. Thanks to some extra weights, the Charity's crew was still stuck in the hold, much to their chagrin. “Somebody let
us out of here!”
        Lego approached the trapped sailors. More precisely, he swaggered over to them. A good pirate needed a good swagger he had decided, and the Charity's sailors were suitably impressed. Or at least, they would have been were they not trapped in the hold.
        Lego peered through the slotted hatch, and said. “Nooo! You have to say the magic words!”
        “How did you take over the ship?”
        “Where's the captain?”
        “*censored* off c*nt!”
        “What?!” Lego shook his head. “Those aren't the magic words either!”
        The sailors fell quiet, and looked quizzically amongst themselves. At long last, one of the more adventurous ones ventured: “Pl….please let us out of the hold?” An anxious hush fell over them, as even their movements ground to a halt.
        Lego smiled at them. “Nope!”
        And they were back to yelling obscenities. Ignoring the chaos, Lego fished out a small key from his pocket, and tossed it into the squirming men. “That's the key for the brig. Go get Percy out, and he can tell you aaall about it.” Lego wasn't sure they had actually heard him, and sure enough, they hadn't ceased their protestations. Having nothing left he could do for them, Lego shrugged, and went on his way.

Captain Willis had spent his morning tied to a chair in his quarters. At first he was enraged that he could not hear what was going on out on deck. Now he prayed for that silence. It was a far cry better than listening to Coryn's oration. “And that was the time I raided Costa Santos. Now…” The young man was tearing his way across Willis’s cabin. Drawers and chest were diligently being sorted through as the pirate looked for whatever struck his fancy. Coryn had already pilfered a silk bandana hold his hair back, and was in the process of prying open a chest. When the worn latch gave out, the heavy lid flipped up and smacked into the floor behind the box. What had been locked inside brought a smile to Coryn's face, and stopped him mid story. “Well, well, well! Captain Willis you have been a sly boy haven't you?” Coryn reached in, and pulled out a whole handful of gold jewelry. “Does the crew know about this?”
        Willis cast a hateful gaze in the pirate’s direction. “You can't trust enlisted men with treasure such as that. Too easy to sneak themselves out a little trinket.” There was a look of dejection on the older man's face, as if part of him was still wrestling with his own argument. “Each sailor who finishes the journey sees a reward equal to their service. There is no scalping on my ship!”
        Coryn nodded. “Sure mate. Whatever you say.” He slid a few rings onto his fingers, and a few chains into his pockets, before whirling around to face a large crate he had had his eyes on from the get go. Sure enough, he popped this one open to find a wardrobe’s worth of fine clothes. “Y'know captain, the problem with privateers is their pride. It's misplaced and overgrown. All it does is make you feel nice and holier-than-thou, right until it bites you in the *ss.” Coryn came upon a selection of coats. He extracted a long, dark blue one from their number, and went about trying it on for size. “So tell me Captain. What leads an upstanding man like you to take up privateering? Seems to me like you'd be better suited to the regular fleet.”
        Willis rolled his good eye, but indulged the pirate all the same. “You've already guessed why haven't you? I used to be with the fleet, but regulars aren't allowed to go off in search of treasure hoards.”
        “Ah…” Was Coryn's reply. He had satisfied himself with his clothing choice, and was now stepping towards Willis's desk, which sat towards the back of the quarters. Once there, he picked up a small picture frame from the desk surface. Upon inspection, it revealed a painted portrait of a young woman in fine clothes. Coryn looked up at Willis, who was staring him down.
        Willis said in a firm voice. “Put that down.” And Coryn complied.
        “She's beautiful. Your wife?”
        Willis shook his head. “My daughter.”
        Coryn nodded his head. Something of an understanding was creeping into his mind. “I'm starting to see why you're so invested in the Angra Mainyu.” The pirate was about to dig a little deeper, when something shiny caught his eye. “Well helloooo nurse!”
        Coryn rushed across the cabin to a plaque on the wall. It was a small, bronze affair, that mentioned something about 'service to the crown’, but Coryn only had eyes for the thing that hung above. There, mounted on a sword rack, was an elegantly designed rapier. Coryn pulled it down and unsheathed it. The weapon was made for ceremonies, but was not ostentatious, and to the smith's credit, was no stage prop either. This was real steel, and would give the finest of blades a run for their money.
        Willis spoke unprompted. “They gave me that when promoting me to captain. Never thought it right to use it after becoming a privateer.”
        “Well…” Coryn sheathed the blade, and  began to fasten the sword to his belt. “I will not have that problem.”                                         
        The weapon secure, Coryn did a quick twirl, and faced Willis. “How do I look?”
        “Like a filthy pirate…”
        Coryn smiled. “Perfect! Just what I was going for.” The filthy pirate bustled past Willis, grabbed the pile of clothes he had passed over, and stepped out onto the deck. He yelled out in a sing-song voice. “Lego! I've got a present for you!”

Meanwhile, Hasith and Mahlua we're conversing at the wheel of the Siren's Bounty. Hasith said. “So let me get this straight. You don't have any memory of how you got here. All you remember is waking up on this boat in port, learning you were the captain, and then winging it until someone gave you orders to sail out here and meet another ship?”
        “Basically.” Said Mahlua. “Although I don't know why you're repeating all that out of the blue.”
        “The camera wasn't on us the first time.”
        “Right…”
        The two took a moment to stare across at the Charity. Lego was sorting through a pile of clothes Coryn had dumped at his feet before returning to the captain’s cabin. They turned away when it came time to help preserve Lego's modesty. Hasith said. “Well at least one of us had the good fortune to spawn somewhere not controlled by Not-Britain. Having two ships on our side will make things a lot easier.”
        “I was wondering about that.” Mahlua said. “You said something about this place being a program before you passed out yesterday. Care to elaborate.”
        Hasith shrugged. “Life At Sea is one of Coryn's old simulation programs. They used to be more popular, but people complained about forced participation. Supposedly this one was retired after all the 'players’ were 'killed’ in the last session.”
        Mahlua raised an eyebrow. “So what? We're all plugged in matrix style in his lab?”
        “Yes to the first part. Maybe to the second. Coryn has no idea what's going on either.”
        “Huh…”
        “Yup…”
        Mahlua started to turn towards Hasith, stopped, did a double take, and then finally turned to him. “Do you get the sense that we're just being used to explain exposition everyone has forgotten?”
Hasith opened his mouth to answer, closed it again to think, took a long drink from a flask on his hip, and then finally said. “Possibly.”

Back on the Charity, Lego was finalizing his new look. He had acquired for himself a dull green coat that he had to remove some frilly lace from. But it looked much better with a few knife marks anyways. He also upgraded his boot and pants situation to something less 'rags’. And had fashioned a headband to keep is afro in check. It complimented the coat, obviously.
        Just as Lego was finishing up, a commotion started up below the sealed hatch. There was some shouting in an overly exaggerated voice that was desperately trying to sound like it was in charge. Lego turned just in time to see O’Connell's face appear beneath the slots. The ex-first mate looked like he was going to be ill, but was admirably holding it in. Lego suspected that O’Connell had not relayed the full story to the crew. He decided to test that theory. “Good morning Percy! How are you feeling this morning?”
        Percival worked his jaw, not sure if he was still supposed to be in character or not. But seeing how he was still locked in with a potentially angry crew, he stuck to the plan as he knew it. “I've had more pleasant nights thanks to you! What have you done to the captain?!” The men responded positively to O’Connell's bravado, even if their faith was somewhat misplaced.
        Lego smiled at them. “Oh don't worry, we've taken care of him.” It wasn't a lie. “Why don't you come up and see for yourself?”
        A pall fell over the men. For most of them, it was clear they hadn't thought Willis could actually be dead. Percy however, had a glint in his eyes. The ex-first mate turned to address his fellow seamen. “Gentlemen, I cannot help but agree. As first mate, it is my duty to inform myself of the situation. They have no reason to harm me. I shall learn all I can and report back. Please, step back down into the hold.”
        “Good bluff.” Thought Lego, and he waved for some of Mahlua's men to join him. With weapons surrounding the hatch, the rest of the crew back away into the darkness, leaving only Percival upon the steps. The weights were removed, and the hatch was opened just long enough for O’Connell to scramble on deck. The ex-first mate continued to play along, and allowed Lego to lead him away at knife-point. Once they were safely out of earshot, O’Connell reverted to his usual self.
        “It took you long enough to get me out of there!” He said in a harsh whisper. “How much longer do you think it would have been before they started asking questions?”
        “Oh be quiet.” Lego backed up his statement by prodding his captive in the back with the handle of the knife. Even though he hadn't been cut, O’Connell jumped a foot ahead. “You're out and safe now aren't you? Keep being good, and I'll give you a treat.”
        Lego directed O’Connell into the captain's cabin. His eyes welcomed the return to darkness after the short trip across the bright deck, but he didn't need his eyes to understand Willis's verbal assault. “Percy O’Connell you traitorous bastard! I always knew you were trouble! The only reason I gave you this posting is because your father was a good friend to me and mine, and look how you have repaid my generosity! Duncan would be rolling in his grave if he knew what a failure his child turned out to be!”
        It took O’Connell a moment to process this development, but when he did he didn't say a word to Willis. Instead, he directed his rage at Coryn and Lego. “You told me you would take care of him for me! What is the meaning of this?!”
        Coryn had his feet up on Willis's desk, and a look of disinterest on his face. “I'm not in the business of murder Mister O’Connell. We promised to throw a mutiny in your honor, and that has been accomplished. No need to spill a man's blood whose blood doesn't need spilling.”
        O’Connell stammered in place, turning the words over in his mind. He looked like he wanted to break into another outburst, but instead he took a deep breath, calmed down, and pointed at Willis. “So what will we be doing with him?”
        “Letting him go?” Offered Lego.
        O'Connell turned white. There was still some fear of retribution from the man himself, even if said man was currently tied to a chair. “We will do no such thing! That would be entirely against our arrangement!”
Hasith's voice echoed from the doorway. “Your arrangement ended the moment they threw you in that cell kid.”
The four men in the cabin turned to watch Hasith and Mahlua join them. Mahlua closed the doors as she passed and they were left in the semi-darkness.
        Hasith said. “ Look, this is all very simple. You trusted pirates, and you got betrayed. Not all the way betrayed, but enough to sting. That's how life is sometimes. Life isn't fair, but if you shut up for a minute and listen, you'll find it's not all storm clouds on your parade.”
        O’Connell did as he was told, and took a seat across from Willis. Although he did not refrain from grumbling to himself as he did. O’Connell said. “Let's hear it then.” And settled in.
        Coryn began the meeting. “So the way I see it, we are basically three camps who are at odds with each other. Willis wants to find the treasure hoard, and his ship back. Percy wants out from under Willis's thumb, and he wants Willis's ship. We four pirates want the treasure, to be rid of you two, and to have this ship. Seeing as how we out vote you, we're getting everything we want, and you’re only getting half.” He started unrolling maps and charts over the desk. “Percy, you are officially a mutineer. Going back means hanging for you. Congratulations, you're a pirate.”
        “But-!” O’Connell began to protest, but was shushed by Lego.
        Coryn said. “The upshot is that you aren't under Willis anymore. You're your own man now buddy.” He changed targets. “Captain, I can't let you have your ship back. But I can offer you a deal. Convince your crew to follow us, as honest to God brigands, and I can promise you you'll have your share of the treasure.”
        Willis was looked at the floor, dejection on his face. “I'd never be able to return home.”
        Lego said. “I saw how people looked at you there Captain. What would you really be going back for?”
        Willis raised his head, and stared at the framed picture of his daughter. He thought hard about the decision out before him. Weighed his options thoroughly. Finally, he looked at Coryn. “Alright. What do you have in mind?”
        “Everyone come over here.” Willis was cut free, and all six conspirators gathered around the wooden desk. Across its surface were the maps and charts Coryn has spread out. They were vaguely reminiscent of the Atlantic ocean on Earth, except that there was something clearly off about the shapes and proportions. Not just in the usual 'drawn by someone who didn't actually know what the world looked like’ kind of way either. It was clearly that era of cartography, but equally clear was that they were most definitely not looking at a map of Earth. “We are here, roughly.” Coryn pointed at a spot in the west of the Not-Caribbean Sea. “From now on, we head out to open ocean, and then north.” He made a circular motion with his hand that ended up encompassing nearly the entire ocean. “Our target is somewhere in here.”
        Willis raised his voice. “I thought you said you knew where it was!”
        Coryn sighed. “I know how to find it. Not where it is.”
        Willis was about to speak again, when O’Connell interjected. “If you don't mind. Would you explain just exactly why we are so dead set on this treasure?” Everyone else turned to look at him. O’Connell continued. “It's just seems to me that we are going well out of our way on a wild goose chase. If you want treasure so bad, why not just raid ships here?”
        Coryn motioned towards Willis. “Well Captain, why don't you start with what you know about it.”
        There was a moment of hesitation, but Willis pushed past it. “The Angra Mainyu are said to have been pirates from the southern continent. They stole a vast treasure from an ancient oracle, and disappeared into sea. That is where the historical narrative ends. Later stories say that the pirates took to worshipping the hoard, hence the 'cult’ title, but those are just legends.” He slammed his hand against the table. “The only truth to the story about is that a treasure was stolen, and then it disappeared. Which means it's out there somewhere. If they really were pirates, then the only place it could be hidden is on some unknown hideaway. I spent half my career hunting down pirate bases. This won't be any different.”
        Mahlua said. “So that's it then? It's just a big pile of stolen offerings?”
        Hasith shrugged. “She's right. Doesn't sound all that special to me. Don't tell us you're just being greedy Coryn.”
        Coryn put his hand up to his heart, a look of shock on his face. “Hasith, you wound me! It's true though, ultimately it is just a big pile of gold.” He sunk down I to the captain's chair, and began to silently sulk. O’Connell opened his mouth to say something, when Coryn cut him off. “Except that it really isn't, because Willis left out the really interesting part.”
        Coryn raised his head, glad to see his audience was back. “It's not just a big pile of treasure. It's a big pile of cursed treasure you fools.”
        Mahlua crossed her arms. The reference to curses had set off her finely attuned senses to anything that smelled of magic. “Explain.”
        Coryn leaned back in the chair. “This isn't any old pile of gold. It's five hundred talents worth of gold coins, forged from victory spoils, and dedicated to the Pythia, the oracles of Apollo. It sat among their offerings for five generations, the glory of the temple.” The pirate leaned in, and put his elbows up on the table. “That's when what you could call a bit of 'family drama’ starts up. According to the story, Poseidon grew jealous of Apollo's offering, and so he directed those southern pirates to raid the temple, and steal every last coin. That, they did. And then with Poseidon's blessings, they escaped to the sea.” It was clear the O’Connell and Willis were becoming irritated with the talk of pagan gods, but Coryn continued.
        “So this is where it gets interesting. Apollo tasks his sister Artemis with hunting down the pirates and bringing them to justice. In return, she will be allowed to claim the offering for herself, because it's really just about pride at this point. Poseidon catches wind of this, and sends the Angra Mainyu to a secret island where the treasure can be safely hidden. But as soon as they get there and get it all unloaded, he smashes their ships, and it becomes their fate to guard the hoard for all time.
        Now of course, Artemis eventually catches up. She finds the island, and takes control of the gold. The only problem is, she can't move it herself, because Poseidon literally has her trapped on all sides. But she still has the treasure, and she converts the Angra Mainyu into her worshippers to boot.”
        Hasith cut in. “So it's a stalemate.”
        Coryn nodded. “Almost, except for one catch. Poseidon now knew the only way to get the treasure back is for it to be stolen once again. But with Artemis guarding it, what's a god to do? Well easy. He promises to grant whatever a man wishes for, for each piece of gold that they return to the sea.”
        Mahlua was rubbing her temple. “So you're telling us you want to steal a single holy coin from one god, just so you can chuck it into the sea?”
        Coryn waved his hand dismissively. “Of course not. Don't be crazy.”
        He leaned back again, but a wide smile spread across Lego's face. Lego slammed both hands against the desk and said. “We’re going to steal all of them!”
        Coryn snapped his fingers into a finger gun which pointed the in afro pirate's direction. “Lego gets it!”
And that's when an argument broke out. Between the three pirates and O’Connell, there were valid arguments from all parties, but they were getting nowhere fast. In the meantime, Willis had taken a step back from the crowd. He had once again grown still and silent, so Hasith saddled up alongside him. “So... magical wish granting gold...some crazy stuff right?”
        Willis spoke a few silent words before he realized no sound was coming out. After recomposing himself, he turned to Hasith. “I...I had also heard that the gold could grant one's wishes. I always believed it was metaphorical.”
        “So you believe his story? I'm surprised at you captain. I took you for the skeptical type.”
        Willis shook his head. “I was... given to flights of fancy as a boy. But you are correct. Hearing that tale now however… something within me wants to believe it.”
        Back at the desk the argument was still raging, but it was cut short with Coryn yelling and jumping to his feet. “Enough! Mahlua you make a fine argument about the nature of divinity, and Percy you make a fine argument about not being slaughtered by an angry god and/or angry cultist!” He dropped his voice down. “But in regard to our... situation…” He made meaningful eye contact with the other Raiders at that word. “The best course of action we have open to ourselves is to follow the plot, so to speak.”
        Everyone paused for a moment to breath and let the tension settle. Once the air was a little more clear, Coryn spoke. “All for going after the treasure hoard say 'aye’. All opposed, say 'nay’.”
        The 'ayes’ came in unanimous. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief. Their minds we're calmer now that they had a plan of action. At least until O’Connell piped up again. “That still doesn't answer the question of who's in charge.”
        This proposal brightened Coryn's day. “Well it's pretty clear you and Willis aren't going to be on the same ship, and Willis really shouldn't be around his old crew, so to me that sounds like he's headed for the Siren's Bounty, and you're staying here.”
        The ex-first mate crossed his arms. “And what about the the Charity? Who will captain her?”
        Coryn's ego inflated as he stuck one leg up on the desk. “I think that's obvious mate. The new captain of The                 
        Charity shall be-!”
        “Me!”
        And just like that, Coryn was deflating like a two week old balloon. “Wait what?”
        Lego had leaped onto the desk and struck a pose. He was brimming with excitement, which turned to annoyance as he looked down at Coryn. “You got to be the captain last time! And look what happened!”
        “Well I…”
        “You got blown up and stabbed to death! At the same time!” Coryn winced at the memory, but it did not stop Lego for a second. “This time I'm a Mod too! So this time I get to be the captain!”
        Coryn hung his head in defeat. “Alright alright. But that leaves Hasith and I out in the cold still.”
        Hasith said. “I'm fine hanging out on the Bounty actually. No responsibility, and none of the crew ever tried beating me even once.” And took himself out of the running.
        Lego patted Coryn on the head. “It's okay! You can be my first mate!”
        Coryn shrugged him off. “I'll stick around here. But I shall take up the noble position of Fleet Navigator. You can take Percy as your first mate.”
        Now, Ex-First Mate Now Reinstated-First Mate Percival O’Connell hung his head. “I suppose there are worse ways for mutiny to end…”
        With all that finally decided, they marched out together on to the main deck. The sailors trapped in the hold had become even more restless than before, and a few of the Bounty's crew were battling their attempts to push off some of the weights. Seeing the chaos, Hasith gave Willis a push. “Go do your thing.”
        Willis took a deep breath, composed himself, and stepped forward. The sight of him caused the captive men to immediately calm down. They grew quiet as they waited for him to speak. After giving himself a moment to collect his thoughts, Willis began. “Gentlemen, as you are aware, this ship has been captured by pirates. But these are no ordinary marauders! They share our goals, if not all of our tactics. I for one, intend to sail under them.” An audible gasp went through the crowd, but Willis kept going. “Gentlemen we have been doing the work of pirates for years! We attack enemy vessels, kill their crews, take their bounties! We leave widows and orphans in our wake! And for what?! Our enemies today become our allies tomorrow! I have killed men I once treated as brothers because the King's fancy changed from day to day! Enough is enough at this juncture. From now on I sail for myself! My own morals, my own life! If that means becoming a pirate than so be it!” He paused, and let his men process his declaration. Willis finished by saying. “All of you who wish to join me are welcome. The rest of you will be rowing home.” He stepped away. The ex-captain was already resigning himself to fate, so he made for the Bounty's deck, and did not look back.
        Back at the hatch, Coryn nodded his head in approval. “Couldn't have said it better myself.” He walked up to the hatch, drew his sword, and pointed it at the men with a flourish. “You heard the man! All takers to their stations! All loyal to the crown to the lifeboat!”
        There were no objectors.
        With the crew released, a double portion of grog promised, and both ships back underway. Lego, O’Connell, and Coryn convened at The Charity's quarter deck. Lego was holding the wheel as if he might hold a woman, gently directing her eastwards to open waters. “Oh my beautiful boat, I shall call you...The Flying Nekomimi!”
        O’Connell shouted in surprise. “The what?!”
        Coryn said. “I wouldn't do that if I were you.”
        “Why not?!” Pouted Lego.
        “It's bad luck to rename a ship. Especially while it's out at sea.” Said Coryn.
        Lego said. “Well…” He thought for a moment. “What if I just…add a little to it?”
        Coryn scratched his chin as he contemplated the idea. “I'm not aware of the rules on that. I suppose it's fine?”
        Lego's fist shot into the air. “Alright, from now on, this is officially...The Vicious Charity!” Lego pointed at a passing crewman. “You there! Do you know how to spell?!”
        “I...yes?” Was the only reply the poor seaman could get out.
        Lego commanded. “Great! Get some paint! This is The Vicious Charity now, and I want everyone to know it!”
        The sailor gave a half thought out salute. “Yes!...Ca... captain?”
        O’Connell nodded at the man. “Yes, Captain. As of now.”
        The man rushed off, and Lego turned back to the sea. With a smile on his face, and the wind at his back, Lego muttered to himself contentedly. “Captain…”

Offline Santa's Little Fro Elf

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2018, 08:58:10 PM »
Ah, good ol exposition and plot development. Great job with both on this chapter!

Be careful with that 4th wall though man. Damn thing is hard to rebuild once it's been broken so many times. I don't think you abused it too much though, and I felt it works given the lightheartedness of the story in general.

Also, Lego running a ship sounds like nothing but trouble, but I'll hold off on my judgements for now. Who knows, he could lead The Charity to greatness. Seriously doubt it though.  :thumbsdown:

Great work overall. Looking forward to the next chapter!   
Messatsu...

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2018, 07:53:35 AM »
haha! Thanks Fro! MR's fourth wall has always been a little weak. I'd say it's a little less fourth wall breaking though, and more just self referential. It's more like one of those 'deep' questions people ask at 3am after an all night YouTube binge.

Offline yulemaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has nice snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2018, 08:12:14 AM »
Mwa- Muhuha. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

*Does a jig*

Capi-ten! Capi-ten! I am a Capi-ten! Give me rum and a wooden leg, I am the... Capi-ten!
Give me a glass, make it ten, leave me in charge of a hundred men, I am the Capi-ten!
Fly my Roger in the sky, give me a parrot poke out my eye, I am the Capi-ten!

The Vicious Charity is nice and edgy, but if I ever get a wish I'm ordering the construction of the unsinkeable irresisteable Flying Nekomimi!!!

O'Connell's renaming totally reminded me of that scene where the bikers are following the riders of the apocalypse and one of the idiots keeps on trying to change his name and it gets ridiculously long as the narrator faithfully changes the way he refers to him.

Somehow your side-character no jutsu is pretty good. Willis is a sympathetic character. Also dat legend. I was like 'At first you had my curiousity... But now you have my attention.' Five hundred wishes! Muhuhahahaha!

I wonder how Artemis manifested on the island though. Poseidon basically manifests as bad sea weather and the sea itself, but how did Artemis 'go for the hunt'. Were people sent there? Is there a Samurai Jack esque guardian at the gate ready to kick some poor pirate ass?

Also I forgot you got blown up and stabbed at the end of the first voyage. Jeez now that I think of it things ended quite bloody that time. Gawd Lordz was brutal.

Also dat 4th wall. Hasith sipping on his drink guiltily made me chuckle.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2018, 12:57:48 PM »
Haha! Well I'm glad you're happy Lego!

I first tried that naming trick with my MR origin story, but I agree it went really well here. The things that just come along naturally like that are some of the best.

I'm happy the side characters are coming across well. But I'm afraid you're quite mistaken about the number of wishes Lego. A 'talent' isn't the name of a coin, it's a measurement of mass. In this case, an ancient Greek (or 'Attic') talent is equal to 26kg. In other words, it's a treasure worth approximately 510,015,350 US dollars.

We're looking at a lot more than 500 wishes my friend.

All in due time on the Artemis thing.

Offline MahluaandEggnog

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2018, 10:04:26 PM »
Artemis is not a Lady I would normally choose to cross. Her hunter's arrows are sure to find their mark...but, I suppose, if it gets us out of the universe in which she is connected (or rather, shoves her manifestation out of this realm and back to not-Olympus, I suppose), theologically speaking, that aspect of her could likely be placated with a few offerings.

^Totally the discussion that was had around that table, led by one Mahlua. I'm surprised none of the other men had anything to say in the vein of "Oh, so that's how a woman became a captain! Witchcraft! Of course..."

A nice read, and good development for the next step. I look forward to seeing where this goes. How many more chapters are you thinking? One for the trip there, maybe two or three for the big hooplah, and one for a return, perhaps?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2018, 11:14:15 PM »
Well, strictly speaking. They don't know you're a witch. Another great point of debate though: If a god is just a program in a computer meant to represent said god, is it still a god?

I'm sure it's been a while for you, but if you check against the original LAS, you'll know we still have a long haul ahead of us. I'd wager we're only about a third of the way through.

Offline MahluaandEggnog

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2018, 11:48:14 PM »
Their essence will still be there if an aspect of themselves so desire to forge a connection with that universe, digital or otherwise. I'd think that, if they are being given offerings, they are present.