August 15, 2018, 12:43:07 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Life At Sea: Fortune's Chance  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Life At Sea: Fortune's Chance
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 05:13:29 PM »
565 day since last post. That may be a new record for my stories that have dropped off the cart.

But ohohoho! I am not done! I am so far from done! Life At Sea lives on to die another day! Of course, I was always going to finish this story, I just thought we were going to have more anthologies to publish it in. But ah well, you take the good, you take the bad. Time to finish this thing for reals like.

I should also mention that this ends the cycle of 'stories I'm currently writing'. So that's 4 stories y'all should look forward to seeing updates for as write on them from week to week thanks to the magic of clouds and smartphones.

anyway, without further ado, let's get on to chapter 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8DCWrhn4N0

CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 4: WATCHING THE WINDS

They had been under way for two weeks. For the first few days, Coryn had been given map coordinates, and in turn had supplied their captors with a heading. But there had been no sign of progress after that point. On the fourth day they had weighed anchor somewhere, but having remained locked in the brig, none of the pirates knew neither where nor why.
   The resulting boredom lead to the invention of a wonderful new song: Infinite Bottles of Beer On the Wall. Wonderful in the sense that it was a literal endless source of entertainment. Not so wonderful in the sense that that entertainment was rubbish. “Infinite bottles of beer on the wall, infinite bottles of beer…”
   “Take one down, pass it around…”
   “Infinite bottles of beer on the wall…”
   And so it went.
   The monotony was finally broken by the sound of heavy boots descending the wooden stairs nearby. The prisoners had long grown use to cabin boys and the occasional sailor coming down for supplies or to empty their bucket, but this was a different sound altogether. These steps were moving in time, with purpose. Something was finally going on. A voice rang our before they could see who was calling. “Get up you scum! You're going above deck!” His voice gave him away, and by the time Captain Willis’s mousey looking first mate appeared around the stacked crates, the three pirates had roused themselves.
   'Mister O’Connell’, as he had become known to them upon being brought onboard, did not strike the Raiders as a hardy, sea-going type. More of the bureaucratic type, who had potentially annoyed someone he shouldn't have. That at the very least, would explain why he had ended up assigned to a privateer ship, instead of a more standard ship of the fleet, or other such position. One could reasonably describe him as being tall and thin, (although he was neither of these things to an extreme), with a mess of mussy brown hair. Perhaps in another time and place, with a little more care given to his appearance, he could have been considered handsome. Alas, the life of a 16th century sailor took no prisoners, and he reflected this reality. Ultimately, the three captives had taken to referring to him as 'Percy’. They had never learned his first name, and he looked like a 'Percival’, in any case. Percy was yet to be let in on the joke, and they silently contemplated what would be the best time to do so.
   O’Connell took stock of them for a few moments before gesturing to the guard on his right. As the guard moved to unlock the door, he spoke. “The Captain has ordered you be brought to the main deck. Attempt to resist, and you will be shot. Attempt to escape, and you will be shot. Show any signs that you intend to do otherwise than explicitly ordered, and you will be shot.” There was a sharp click as the lock disengaged. O’Connell took a quick step forward and jammed the gate tight with his arm. “Do I make myself clear”
   “Abundantly.” Hasith replied.
   O’Connell sneered. “Good.” He stepped back and released the pressure on the gate. “Up the stairs, single file. We'll be right behind you.”
   The sun assaulted them upon stepping through the top hatch. A few bands of clouds floated overhead, but the seas were calm and the mid-morning sun was yet to fully bake the crew. Willis stood mid-ship, surveying the horizon with a small spyglass. He closed it with a look of irritation, and turned towards his guests. “I see Mister O’Connell has roused you successfully.”
   “He has, and what a lovely day for sailing to be roused on.” Coryn quipped. “And may I ask for what purpose we have been roused? I’d also like to inquire as to why you’re so interested in this treasure, why we’re anchored in the middle of nowhere, and how you came upon-” He was cut short as Willis smacked him across the face.
   "You have not been given permission to speak, pirate.” He glared down at him with his good eye as Coryn straightened back up. “We have orders to link up with another privateer vessel under contract with the crown. They will be assisting with this mission under my overall command. Additionally, one of you will be transferred to their brig.”
   This caused the pirate’s ears to perk up. “Transfer?” Asked Lego. “Who? Why?”
   “Errand. He was never meant to be on my ship in the first place. You two, on the other hand, are under my direct charge. The ‘why’, is because I am well aware that the more brigands are in one place, the more scheming there will be.” There was about to be a list of follow-up questions as to who exactly their were to meet, but those questions were squashed with a cry of ‘Ship ho!’ from the crows nest. Captain Willis turned his eyeglass back out to sea, and narrowed his gaze on a dark speck to the southeast. “Bring us alongside her!” The crew accelerated into action at the order. Chains clinked as the anchor was pulled up, masts groaned as wind filled the sails. Within the hour they were pulling up into a parallel course with the vessel. The pirates could make out individual figures on the deck. In the meantime they had been ushered up onto the quarter deck. O’Connell had taken control of the spyglass, and was peering at the ship. A look of confusion crossed his face however as they drew closer. “That’s peculiar. Their captain appears to be a woman.” This caught the attention of everyone within earshot, but before Captain Willis could address the matter, Coryn make a break for O’Connell.
   “Give me that thing!” With his still manacled hands, Coryn tore the spyglass from the First Officer’s hands. He leaped down the stairs to the main deck to put some distance between himself and the fuming O’Connell, and zeroed in on the other ship. The first thing that came into view was the name emblazoned on the back of the ship: ‘The Siren’s Lament’. Next, he swung his field of view up to the wheel, and hopefully, the captain. By now, his comrades had joined him, and they were doing their level best to calm and hold back the guards while Coryn got his look in. Unfortunately, the figure steering the ship was partly obscured by rigging. From what he could tell however, O’Connell’s initial assessment was correct. Female figure, red coat, well worn, tied tightly around the waist with a sash. Tall boots, brown, scuffed. Tricorn hat, shocking red hair beneath. One final feature caught his eye however, which he could not immediately place given his dehydrated state of mind. They bounced as he looked on, moving with the swells. A sound came into his mind. “Pafu...pafu…”
   This drew the attentions of both Lego and Hasith about as far away from protecting their friend as an attention could be drawn. “What do you mean ‘pafu’?”
   “Show me the goods!”
   They struggled with the blonde one for the eyeglass, but were soon drawn apart by guards. Willis was now present on the main deck, and looked ready to throw the lot of them overboard. But, the new ship was too close at hand now, and he ordered them moved away from the railing so that a boarding ramp could be lowered.
   With the two ships in spitting distance, and floating along smoothly with the current, a plank went down. The pirates were faced away from the ongoings, so Hasith and Lego craned their necks to see what Coryn had spied. Soon, they realized that what he had in fact saw was indeed plumage, if only in the very literal sense. Fuzzy, multi-colored feathers bobbed up and down at the captain descended the steps from the quarter deck of her ship. Finally, she turned to cross over, but stopped short of stepping across. Her voice rang out loud and clear through the air, simultaneously putting the Raider’s minds at ease, while raising a whole new list of questions. “Permission to come aboard?”
   Apprehension was palpable in Willis’s voice, and the crew grew quiet around him. No doubt, the superstition of having a woman on the ship’s deck while underway was well ingrained in them. “Permission granted. Captain…?”
Her boots clapped loudly against the precariously balanced board. She kept her eyes on her task even as she strode confidently across, which hid her face until finally setting foot on solid deck again. “Andmilk” The captain rose her head, met Willis's gaze, and smirked. “Captain Mahlua Andmilk, at your pleasure.”
   An awkward moment passed over the deck as the crew of the Charity processed their response. It was one thing to have a woman on deck, that could happen in emergencies, and could be accounted for. But a female captain? That was unprecedented, at least in their minds. But that problem was only for the ship's crew. Behind them, three prisoners were about ready to literally jump for joy right there on the spot. A single Raider pirate was a dangerous entity, even unarmed. Four were downright invincible, even if three of them currently in irons. And soon, it would be an even split between free and captive. Things were finally looking up.
   Not allowing the crew to regain their composure, Coryn broke free from his guards and hurtled himself across the deck. Before anyone could stop him, Coryn shoulder barged into Mahlua and pinned her against the ship's railing. They spoke quickly and quietly. To anyone watching, it looked for all the world that Mahlua struggled with the pirate for a moment before slamming him into the deck by his collar. That was what happened of course, but in that moment, the winds of fortune had shifted.
   As Mahlua regained her composure, Coryn smiled up at her from the sun drenched boards. “A pleasure to meet you, Captain.”
   Her gaze could have melted steel, but instead of letting it linger on Coryn, she turned it to the guards surrounding Hasith. “Load Captain Errand aboard my ship. I want to get under way as soon as possible!” She turned to Willis. “If you are amenable Captain, I'd like to discuss our course with you. We can inquire with Sken after he has cooled off some.”
   Finally, Willis snapped out of his stupor, and gave a curt nod. “Of course, Captain Andmilk. Please,” He beckoned behind him. “My charts are laid out in my quarters.”
   The assembly broke. Coryn shared a wink with Hasith as he was taken across the gangplank. He winked (or perhaps blinked) back. Together, Lego and Coryn were taken back to their cell. This time however, they did not go down dreading an uncertain fate. This time, they knew it would only be a matter of time before they were breathing free air. For all of Willis’s bluster about separating the ‘brigands’, he had just come across quite a few more brigands than he was counting on.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 08:20:13 PM »
Dun Dun Duuuuun.

And dude, that is quite a record. Dammit now i'm terrified of seeing how many days I abandoned my own projects. Hoping to catch up on them in the next 2 years though for sure. So much fun left along the way.

Infinite Bottles of Beer On the Wall. Manimal-san please make a song or I will. Haha dude you pulled out your narrative swagger (meant in the old school correct sense of the word) for this one! I think writing pirate fiction puts you in a pirate-tale writer sort of mind, and writing something fast paced like the Coryn Sken Saga puts you into an action packed anime style and stuff. I should've noticed this ages ago but yeah noob editor = noob eye for this sort of thing. Now that I think of it you're a freaking engineer too, so you're definitely set for when it comes to being technical and objective. This is an overall comment on your writing: You've got a great ability to switch up the style and make things appropriate to the script. Of course it still sounds like you, but it's pretty cool. Heck jump between your Bleach fan fics with those micro and fast chapters and this and you'll notice what I mean immediately.

Also random song I stumbled upon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94dY-QxjDiE

Also I'm looking forward to seeing the end of this story. You'll need to do something to stick the 'This is Canon' landing and I'm all for it.

And dammit I wish I was a fresh new mangaraider so that I'd have at least half as epic an entrance as Mahlua... Speaking of Mahlua, where is she? Does she know I'm addressing her as -san even?

Dude you've just gotta make a YT video about this writing hack you've developed for being productive while busy. Or a forum post. Either way teach me your ninja ways.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 08:36:30 PM »
Ha! Well, it may sound stupidly simple, but to be honest, the greatest trick I've got going is A: download Google docs and write on your phone whenever you have free time and instead of tweeting or whatever and B: yes that includes while *censored*ting. We all know your on your phone anyway, and it's not like you got anything better to do.

I think it's easier to switch between this and the bleach stuff because they are two very different settings I'm flashing between. It helps to have that diversity so things don't get muddled, and if you have a certain energy going for yourself in that moment, you'll have an appropriate place to direct it. But to tell you a secret, all of my chapters feel like quick blitzes to me when reading them.

Mahlua is, as ever, at college. I'd expect her return at the end of the month. I don't know about the san bit. Who knows.

Don't forget I already got the canon bit covered. It has been some years (as evidenced above), so I'd recommend rereading the first three chapters (and trying not to cringe at the difference in skill)

And yeah! Where's kingfisher these days?

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 08:41:38 PM »
And yeah! Where's kingfisher these days?

Low blow bro, low blow.

I'm actually quite prepared to finish up all of my works in one mad blitz, so it doesn't interest me as much as the canon I've left around hanging. Canon is fun as hell man, canon is vital. We've got to get the ship dusted down of all incomplete MR canon and get her ready for some new oceans.

I'm actually doing the comic thing right now in hopes that when I finally get my process down to a science, I can jump into making MR based stuff even faster. Ah, I'm so looking forward to that.

It puts things into a whole new light when it turns out the 'ish you write is written while you're 'ishing.

You planning on topping your record for longest canon again with this sequel?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 11:22:04 PM »
Hah... who knows? I didn't exactly expect the first one do go so long either. It was all a fluke, so let's hold off our anticipation for now.

Quest! may be a contender though. It'll run until I run out of zany ideas to throw the characters in to. So that one has some staying power as well.

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2018, 07:36:06 AM »
Gonna have to read the previous chapters to figure out what's exactly going on, but I think I got general gist of the situation from reading this one.

Really good stuff man! Mahlua's introduction was pretty sweet, and I'm curious as to how big of a role she will play later on. And seriously Coryn, props to you for working on four stories at one time! That's gotta be at least a little taxing on the brain for sure.

Also, just thought about this: Mangaraiders. Pirates.  Mangapirates. PirateRaiders. I see the connection...
Messatsu...

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2018, 11:30:49 AM »

Raiders gotta raid. You probably do get a pretty good idea yeah.  Obviously of you've read the first LAS then you'll know things are a little different this time around.

The four stories thing really isn't that bad as of yet. It's just determining the release schedule that's got me scratching my head. At this point, I think I'm content to go on a release streak once I have the next chapter for each story at least written, if not necessarily edited. Gives me time to contemplate any changes. But I just finished the second Question! chapter yesterday, so it's just Bleach and LAS:FC that need working on.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2018, 05:24:10 AM »
Coryn flexing his serialization skills. MR-Jump

Will be looking forward to whatever releases first regardless.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2018, 07:43:05 AM »
The order is pretty well set at CS, Quest!, Bleach, then FC for now. And I'm now into writing the next FC chapter. So releases will start again soon.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2018, 08:56:19 PM »
Yes I'm going to be 'that guy'. Any update on FC chapter by any chance? Looking forward to dat update chain with everything haha

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2018, 09:08:53 PM »
I'm about halfway through the next one, and then the update chain will begin. What with the holiday and all, it hasn't been an overly productive week, but the gears are grinding along. Rest easy knowing that I am at least making continuous progress.

Reread the first three chapters from like, 4 years ago to catch up on the details and kill time.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2018, 09:10:49 PM »
That's actually not that bad of an idea tbh. Roger roger

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2018, 09:11:06 PM »
I'll be looking forward to it. I know the feel, though. That's why I've decided to focus on my one writing project for the time being, and even that can be difficult to squeeze in a chapter a day at my "just over 1000 word" chapter style.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2018, 06:13:26 PM »
Sorry for the delay on this. Vacation set me back by a few weeks, so I'm only getting this out now. But I guess that means it's just a shorter wait until the next round of releases. Probably, the next chapter of Quest! is like, the same size as the first two chapters combined, and still growing. Time will tell I guess.

Enjoy!

CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 5: DUEL IN THE DARK

It was a quiet night on the Charity. The crew had gone to sleep easily that night, knowing that back-up had arrived, and that they now had one less pirate had to worry about.
        Too bad for them.
        Below the sleeping sailors, two pirates we're still very much awake. It was nearly pitch black in the hold, but Coryn and Lego were used to the darkness after so many days below. So it was that when they heard footsteps creeping towards them through the dark, they saw their visitor long before he saw them. “Wake up pirates!” O’Connell's voice came out only as a half whisper, but it was quiet enough that no one else on the creaking tub would hear him. He carried an unlit lantern, and a set of keys. “I said wake up!”
        “We are awake.” Replied Lego.
        O'Connell was slightly surprised, but didn't let it show too badly. “Then come here! I have a proposition for you two.” The Raiders already knew what he was going to say. Mahlua had passed it on to Coryn, who had passed it on to Lego. Treachery was afoot, and for once, it wasn't any of their ideas. O’Connell, knowing none of this, continued on. “As you may be aware, Captain Willis runs a tight ship. I can respect that, bit he often takes it too far, and it has become a burden upon the crew.”
        “Not to mention yourself…” Muttered Coryn under his breath.
        O’Connell didn't notice. “You've felt it yourselves. Even if you are pirates, you deserve more than one meal every two days.” He was a bad liar, even if he wasn't wrong. Percy was baiting them. Making them feel beholden to him for the treatment they were sure to receive after helping him out. If he only knew. “But, if you were to, let's say, escape. Then, it would be the perfect opportunity to kill Willis in his sleep. I would then apprehended you, and reincarnate you. Except that this time, I can at least promise you will be treated well.” What a golden opportunity. Nothing mixed quite as well as naivety and arrogance. O’Connell was apparently well known within certain circles to be overly ambitious, and jealous of his captain. So, when a certain captain from a newly acquainted vessel started giving him ideas, it didn't take much convincing. The first-mate now stopped talking, and waited for a response. Coryn and Lego played out their rehearsed bit.
        “Well I don't know Mister O’Connell. What guarantee can you give us that you won't make life even worse for us afterwards?”
        “If he doesn't, we can always slit our throats. That way he'll never find the treasure either.”
        “Good point. But, I think we could also stand to be released from the brig. We are due full pardons after all. We'll be free men after this.”
        “And it will be a lot easier for us to help with that if we're allowed to walk freely.”
        “And besides, the crew are suffering too. They should see us as heroes for taking down a despot.”
        “Oh yes! But I'm afraid the soldiers might not feel the same way. They'll need some more convincing. Who knows, maybe they won't want to work anymore. Or perhaps one or two may get hurt heroically trying to save their captain.”
        “Exactly! So it wouldn't hurt to have an extra pair of hands helping out. We are experienced seamen after all Mister O’Connell. It would be a shame to waste our talents. Wouldn't you agree?”
        Percy was thinking it over. He obviously didn't like it, but came around eventually. “So if I acquiesce to your demands, you will do it for me?”
        “Scouts honor.” Replied Coryn.
        O’Connell said. “Very well.” And unlocked the gate.
        That was his second mistake.
        As soon as the gate was open, Coryn sent a left hook right into O’Connell's face. There was a satisfying snap as his nose broke. Coryn slapped a hand over the bleeding officer's mouth to muffle the scream, then pushed him into the cell while he was still recovering from the shock. By the time Percival had processed what was happening, the door was locked tight, and the two pirates were on the other side, keys firmly in hand. “Find some weapons.” Ordered Coryn, and Lego disappeared into the hold. O’Connell was about to yell out, when Coryn stepped forward to hush him. “Relax, relax!”
        “This was not the plan!”
        Coryn shot him a quizzical look. “Isn't it? Lego and I break out, take the ship, and then sail on our merry way to the treasure. Sounds right to me.”
        Percy was not amused. “At no point was I to be assaulted and locked in the brig!”
        Coryn shook his head. “Haven't you ever heard of plausible deniability? It's like this: You heard the pirates escaping, tried to stop them, and they got the upper hand. It was two on one after all. Nobody will blame you for nothing. I think a broken nose if more than fair payment in this case.” This appeared to mollify the first mate, and he staggered back to rest on a crate as Lego returned.
        “I've got a hatchet, and a grappling hook. All the good stuff is probably in a lock-up somewhere.”
Coryn nodded and took the hatchet. He moved past Lego and towards the stairs. Lego lingered only a moment longer so he could address O’Connell. “Don't worry Percy, we'll take this ship for you in not time! I promise!” He darted off, leaving their new prisoner completely alone in the dark.
        “How did he know my name was Percival?”

Of course, neither Coryn or Lego had any intention of actually turning the ship back over to the gullible mutineer. Come morning, he would either be pledging himself to his new captain, or he would find himself on a rowboat in the middle of the ocean. Before any of that could transpire however, there was a ship to take.
The pirates snuck their way to the hatch which led above deck. Dozens of sleeping sailors surrounded them, so the pair were careful to make as little sound as possible while they cracked open the wooden hatch for a look around.
From their vantage point at the midship, the deck seemed mostly clear. A few scattered lanterns kept the ship illuminated enough to get around, but they cast so many shadows that sneaking would not be a problem. The real barrier they noted were four guards. One each watched over the quarter and forecastle decks, and two patrolled the main deck at regular intervals. Doubtless there would be at least one man stationed in the crows nest, but he was more likely to be a run of the mill sailor, and not a soldier. Finally, the pair could see the Siren’s Bounty floating a few hundred yards off the port side. Too far for a quick escape, but far enough that no one would wonder why she didn't render immediate assistance once the fighting broke out.
        As the guards crossed paths in the center of their routes, Coryn and Lego took advantage. With no one looking their way, the two slipped out of the hatch, and quietly weighed it down with a few nearby cannonballs. Having eliminated the possibility of reinforcements, the pirates gave each other a nod, and began the slow process of slinking their way to opposite ends of the ship. Coryn took the stern, and Lego the bow.

Coryn slid in between a pair of barrels, and watched the guard come to a rest at his station. He would only wait there for half a minute or so. Coryn would have to strike as soon as the guard turned his back, or there was a chance that the opposing soldier towards the bow would notice him. He hoped that Lego would be quick on the uptake as well. While he waited, Coryn eyed the doors and to the captain's cabin just behind him. Coryn did not expect Willis to be much of a fighter at that age, but a pistol was an awfully good equalizer. With nothing to bar the doors, Coryn hoped the captain was a heavy sleeper, turned back around, and made his move.
        The soldier caught Coryn out of the corner of his eye at the last second, but it was already too late. The pirate plowed into him with a shoulder barge, and the uniformed guard went sailing over the guardrail. Coryn didn't stop to ponder the irony of the situation, because as soon as the splash sounded through the night a second later, the guard on the quarter deck identified the pirate as the likely perpetrator, and lowered his rifle.

Meanwhile at the front of the ship, Lego heard the splash as well. So did the guard he was tailing. As the guard jerked his head in the direction of the noise, Lego gave him a face full of grappling hook. The outside of one of the prongs broke his nose upon impact. Lego moved to push him overboard as well, but the guard was surprised by the attack to such a degree, that he tripped across the meager railing on his own accord. The pirate did not wait around to hear the splash, as the second guard was charging him with a bayonet. Unbeknownst to him however, there was no splash to be heard. Even if there were, it would have been masked by the musket going off at the rear of the ship. So to Lego's credit, he couldn't have known either way. In which case, what happened to him next was in no way his fault.

Coryn jumped to the side as he watched the gun cock. The ball went wide, and Coryn clambered back to his feet as the rifleman dropped his weapon and drew a standard issue cutlass from his waist. With his disadvantage in reach clear to see, Coryn opted to run away as the guard charged down the stairs at him. The pirate dashed to the port side of the ship, snatched a belaying pin out of the railing, and then took to the opposite set of stairs. As he reached the quarter deck, it dawned on him that the soldier may not be as dumb as he looked, because he had returned to the quarter deck himself after watching what his opponent was up to. This time at least, Coryn could attack with both hands. If he could get within the guard’s range, he could take the fight for himself. The only question that remained, was whether or not he could actually do that.

Lego dodged past his bayonet happy opponent as he charged through. But the soldier was far from done. He turned and began stabbing at the pirate. Unlike Coryn's hand ax, Lego's weapon had come equipped with a length of rope tied to the end. This put him back on an equal offensive playing field, but left him unable to defend. The guard had no such problem, and could knock back Lego's hook with a well timed swing of his musket. These facts being what they were, Lego adopted an offensive strategy. As long as he could keep his enemy's guard up, Lego could safely avoid being skewered, and work out a better plan in the meantime.
        Unfortunately, a solid block from the guard didn't merely deflect the hook, but kill its momentum entirely. As the hook clattered to the ground, and Lego desperately tried to real it back in, the soldier struck at the pirate. His first two attempts failed, but Lego now had his back up against the railing. There was nowhere left to dodge, and Lego knew it.
        What Lego did not know, was that the first guard he had tangled with did not fall into the water, but instead had grabbed on to some well placed rigging. In the time that Lego was engaging the second guard, the first had crawled back up the side of the ship, and came to the top just as Lego hit the railing.
Of course, what the first guard didn't know was that his crewmate was about to dispatch the pirate he was currently grabbing by the waist band.

Coryn was having his own time of it with his guard. A wooden belaying pin is useful for smacking someone over the head with in a pinch, but it often helps if that someone isn't wielding a sharp piece of steel in your general direction. Wood chips flew everywhere as Coryn tried getting within striking distance, but his improvised weapon was steadily losing all sense of structural stability. The pin was a lost cause, so when the next strike came, Coryn pointed the end of the pin at the blade, and hoped for the best.
        Thankfully, the best arrived. The cutlass pushed about halfway into the pin, and then could push no more. Coryn's hand was spared, and more importantly, he now had a solid grip on the end of the sword. Despite the guard's yanking, the pin refused to release its catch. The pirate saw his moment had come, and swung the hatchet. However, the soldier had yet to admit defeat, and managed to grab Coryn's arm before the blow could land. They had locked themselves into a ring, and neither was about to give ground. The guard swung his body about in a wide arc, and drove Coryn side first into the mizzen mast. Not having it, Coryn replicated the feat, and bashed the guard against the opposite side of the mast.
        After each taking a considerable impact, the pair starred each other into an impasse. It was clear that neither possessed the strength advantage, but the guard did have the benefit of home territory. The soldier kicked off into a dead sprint, and Coryn was forced to comply. The pirate found himself toppling down to the main deck, with a smug looking guard looking down on him.

Lego retrieved the hook with just enough time to do give it one last swing, but as he let it loose, he was dropped to the ground by a sharp tug from below. The pirate dropped forward, the bayonet sailed over his head, and then he found himself in free fall. The first guard had dragged him right over the railing, using his own body as a counterweight. Lego fell, but he didn't let go of the rope. As the hook was dragged along the deck, it latched onto the second guard, who in turn was sent flying into the first, which in turn sent both toppling into the ocean. Thankfully for Lego, the one of the hooks caught the railing, and he was left merely swinging in the wind as the two soldiers disappeared beneath him. Whoever's idea it was to not teach sailors to swim instantly became a new patron saint in his book.

As Coryn felt his feet leaving the surface of the quarter deck, he quickly prayed that the guard wasn't planning on the pirate doing anything else but tripping over the rails. It was a small chance, but Coryn tightened his fists into a death grip, and held on for the ride. With no small amount of luck, his gamble paid off. The guard didn't release his grip in time, so as Coryn flipped backwards, he dragged the soldier with him. Their mutual momentum sent them into a spin, which ended just as soon as the guard smashed into the main deck, with Coryn of top of him.
        The guard went slack as the impact sent him into unconsciousness, and Coryn rose to his feet. He raised the hatchet just in case, but the guard stayed down. It seemed the fight was over.
That feeling of relief only lasted for a moment however, as Coryn heard a hollow 'click’ from the doors in front of him. They opened inward, and there stood Captain Willis, dressed in his sleepwear. “What the bloody hell is all that racket about?!”
        Only then did it sink in for the captain, that one of his prisoners was standing just in front of his face. He mouth moved without any words coming out. Some things were just not comprehensible after being woken up in the middle of the night by a gunshot. Ultimately, it didn't matter if Willis understood or not. Coryn smashed the flat side of the hatchet against the captain's head, and sent him right back to sleep. The pirate stepped aside as Willis joined his subordinate on the deck. With a half-hearted bow, Coryn saluted his jailer, and collapsed against the door frame. “Captain Willis, we are taking your ship.”

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2018, 09:58:15 PM »
This was a lot more satisfying to read over now that I actually read the first few chapters. I hadn't realized you'd included me just before I came back, almost like you were foreshadowing my rl return. For this chapter, in the early bit, it's a bit difficult to understand who is talking, but other than that, it's pretty smooth. You're welcome for the information.