March 29, 2024, 02:13:06 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: New Manga Idea -- KICK!  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Aozora

• MangaRaiders Long-time Member (10-Year Anniversary)
  • Author of Hikaru Rising
    • View Profile
New Manga Idea -- KICK!
« on: January 14, 2015, 05:10:29 PM »
Thought of a new manga idea while walking to class that I thought was pretty interesting. Just wanted to share it for feedback and so I wouldn't forget it later. It's a sports shounen story but it's centered around mixed martial arts so it has a lot of action. Here is the synopsis of KICK! (name subject to change).

Spoiler
Twenty years ago from present day, two men quickly rose to fame in the world of mixed martial arts. These two men were so evenly matched that their fighting matches would take hours and they would alternate winning the world championship. The intense battles and heated rivalry of these two men became renowned all over the world attracting more people to watch and participate in the sport, and would eventually establish mixed martial arts as an integral aspect of society. Today, mixed martial arts pervades everyday life with little kids all over the world dreaming of becoming the strongest MMA fighter in the world and tournaments taking place constantly at the national, school, and underground levels.

Our story centers around 18-years-old Aoi Saito, who took up mixed martial artists at a young age and quickly built a name for himself at the regional and national levels. Once he reached the international level in high school, however, he was struck by reality. He was easily defeated by the 4 Kings, who are known as prodigies in the world of MMA. Losing to these four did not affect him too much as he knew that he would have to work hard to defeat them. But one day, he was absolutely annihilated by a no-name opponent from a small village in Japan who had just picked up mixed martial arts that very year. Crushed by his humiliating defeat, Aoi gave up on his dream and returned to a quiet university life while dabbling occasionally in a few underground MMA matches for some entertainment and extra cash. Soon he meets interesting personalities who inspire and motivate him to once again pursue his dream and return to MMA. Will Aoi be able to overcome the odds and become the strongest MMA fighter in the world?

Let me know what you guys think and if this would be a story you would want to read.

Offline GingerStark

• Social & Political Scientist
  • There is no single truth, only contingent theories
    • View Profile
Re: New Manga Idea -- KICK!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 11:42:38 AM »
Normally these stories are pretty straightforward shonens, the good guy gets stronger, loses a few battles for inspiration, then gives an emotional backhand to the enemy, rinse and repeat. So you'll need to think outside the box a bit if you want it to seem more unique.

I've done karate and kickboxing myself, and I can say it is pretty hard work. But it also builds bonds between the people taking it up and such, so characterisation will definitely have to be a focus  :hmm:

Offline Aozora

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 12:27:29 PM »
Hahaha cool! Remind me not to mess with you then :P

Offline bossx5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 01:35:35 PM »
This is just a suggestion but after the MC loses to a no name he fights in a few underground fights for money like you said but instead of him he finds a pupil to raise to the top in the process he himself begins to grow stronger

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 02:56:32 PM »
It really sounds straight forward. Main.character has a goal, character finds a way to get there. First off he's already a good fighter apparently if he went to fight a significant group with a title, and he gives up when he fights someone who barely picked it up within that year.

But so far I'm not seeing much to keep me reading. You mention.interesting personalities but which one in particular? Also his personality, how will it develop in this story?
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline Aozora

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 03:17:56 PM »
This is just a suggestion but after the MC loses to a no name he fights in a few underground fights for money like you said but instead of him he finds a pupil to raise to the top in the process he himself begins to grow stronger

The MC is still young so I don't think he'll take on a pupil but he will meet someone in the underground fights who inspires him to keep trying to reach his dream.

It really sounds straight forward. Main.character has a goal, character finds a way to get there. First off he's already a good fighter apparently if he went to fight a significant group with a title, and he gives up when he fights someone who barely picked it up within that year.

But so far I'm not seeing much to keep me reading. You mention.interesting personalities but which one in particular? Also his personality, how will it develop in this story?

A lot of sports anime have started out with an MC who's already good at the sport but I'm trying to do something unique by having my MC begin without a clear dream or goal. His development will involve how he decides to pursue his dream again and how he is able to recover from the humiliating defeat he had when he was in high school.

I haven't thought about it completely but these are some of the characters who will inspire/support the MC:

-A female character who keeps trying her best despite there being no money or fame for female MMA athletes
-A male character who keeps trying his best despite not having enough money for coaching/lessons
-A male character who keeps trying his best despite being a weakling and getting picked on all the time
-A female character who supports/comforts the MC (kind of like Hinata from Naruto but not as shy and quiet)

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 03:33:12 PM »
Im seeing the same type of characters........unless their a group of friends already supporting eachother, then that could be a way. But it still looks pretty straight forward.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline Aozora

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 09:40:27 PM »
Yeah it's pretty straightforward idea with nothing too unique. If I don't end up doing it I might put it in the free story plots board.

Offline Deku

• Currently writing horror/mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 06:31:51 AM »
I think it can be developed into a pretty entertaining story. I mean, I did Taekwondo for years so I have a big interest in martial arts. I would really spend time on character development in this story, since it's already a pretty straightforward plot.
Good enough, Seldom is

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 01:59:45 AM »
Going to tell you this...  For any sport or martial arts manga to be made you need to have back stories to all the characters...  You want the reader to not only understand the protagonist's view of why he is doing what he is doing but the people he fights too...  You almost want the readers to root for both sides because they both have a good reason to be fighting.

Knowing that you watch One Piece I am sure you know how much of an impact back stories make