April 17, 2024, 09:51:51 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Community Feedback Survey  (Read 7408 times)

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
Community Feedback Survey
« on: January 13, 2015, 11:53:47 AM »
                                                                                        MR Community Survey

Hey guys, Vacant here. I'm writing to get some feedback from you lovely and wonderful members. So, heres the deal. As a community, MR is awesome. But, not the most active. So often do I see people saying how its quiet or a slow day on site, or cool contests fizzle out due to lack of participation. This is such a shame, since there's so much potential here.   
              So, I'm looking to try and change that. Wouldn't it be awesome if more members came here day in, day out? But to do that, there needs to be content for people to return daily, which is where this very post comes in. With the help of Hasith, I've put together a survey for you to complete, if you would be so kind. This is to let us get an idea of what you good people would like to see more of as a community.
              Please note, this isn't about changing the format/functionality of the site. This is for us all, veteran or newbie and what you want to take part in and see from the community :D You don't have to answer every question if you don't feel like it, any feedback is a huge plus :D

-Just put the number for the question, then answer, simples! Put as much/little details you want. You can either simply reply to this topic, or PM your response if you'd prefer. 

Contests:
1.) Would you like to see more Contests in general?
2.) Would you like there to be a theme for the contests on a monthly basis? (e.g. December could be Xmas themed, October Halloween, February Romance, March Action themed etc.? )
3.) Would you like to see more Artist Contests?
4.) Would you prefer a competition to be Fan art or original artwork?
5.) Would you like to see more Writers Contests?
6.) Would you prefer one shot/short story competitions or extracts continuations of you own works?
7.) Would you like to see more Collaboration Contests?
8.) Would you like to see more Competitions with prizes up for grabs?
9.) What kind of prizes would you like to see from this list? Anime Merch/Manga Volumes/Drawing Equipment/DVD's/Winning an commissioned piece/Having your Artwork or story promoted? (Feel free to add anymore suggestions for prizes/rewards. Keep it realistic though, I'm willing to purchase prizes myself, but I'm not made of money :P)
10.) Any other suggestions for Competitions?

Social Media:
11.) Would you like to see the Facebook/Twitter accounts to be more active?
12.) What kind of content would you like to see on these? (Major anime/manga/site news, contests being promoted etc.)
13.) Any other suggestions for Social Media?

Youtube Channel:
14.) Would you like to see more content on the Youtube Channel?
15.) What kind of Content would you like to see on the Youtube Channel from this list? AMV's/Speed paints/Reviews/writing and art tutorials
16.) Any other suggestions for the Youtube Channel?

Misc.
17.) Any other feedback/suggestions on what you'd like to see from the community? (More use of skype, quizzes and games)

Offline Aozora

• MangaRaiders Long-time Member (10-Year Anniversary)
  • Author of Hikaru Rising
    • View Profile
Re: Community Feedback Survey
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »
I guess more writing contests would be nice but I'm not one who usually enjoys writing to a prompt or theme. I'm sure others may enjoy it a lot though, so sounds like a good idea.

To be brutally honest, I really think most of these things will have no real significant impact on user activity. If we think about why most people join this site it's because they are hoping to find an artist/writer with whom they can collaborate. Until this site can really show strong artist/writer interaction and collaboration to newcomers and even current members, user activity will for the most part remain stagnant. This is just my opinion; I could be totally wrong. 

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 03:31:15 PM »
1) I don't have enough time to compete so it's not fair if I say yes or no... but I'd like to see contests that more members are a part of. Anything to inspire participation and conversation.

2) Themes are great for getting people on board and keeping things organised, fun and concise. I say go for it.

3) Yes but not too many at once. Keep it organised and accessible enough to as many participants as possible.

4) Both - like the Naruto ending would have been a great opportunity for a fan art competition. Then themes and other things the rest of the time.

5) Yes but not too many at the same time.

6) Short stories to emphasise techniques or concepts - like believable dialogue or in depth combat/action

7) YES - great for creating links but more unreliable so not as many as individual contests

8.) Prizes may be difficult to pull off but may be necessary for increasing participation.

9) If you can think of any like a free commission for high end or something small like online medals for small things. Promotion is important but it would have to be guaranteed to produce results to be a prize...

10)
- Maybe a competition that brings writers and artists together - like a pick out of a hat partnered thing where a writer and artist must both come up with something together and get it drawn... a short, page-long comic strip for instance.
- Something not for writers and artists? - there are those that are just fans who are members and it may be good to help them feel included.

11) Not particularly, not interested in setting up an MR specific social media page for myself and reluctant to like or follow with my personal page.

12) If I were to, then site news and updates, competition notifications and any major successes/publications to come from the site.

13) -

14) Yeah if people are willing

15) Anything related, even promotional videos for member's own comics if that's what they are comfortable doing.

16) If more videos are posted make sure to keep it well organised

17)
- Skype is a great place to go and generally chat - but remember to identify yourself properly if your username isn't the same as on MR and you don't want to create a separate Skype account.
- The decision-based and role-playing stories that require member input were a great idea for getting people to come together and participate in something - possibly even better than contests. There require more work, but achieve good results if managed properly.
- MEMBERS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO [PUBLICLY] DISCOURAGE OTHERS FROM TAKING PART IN EVENTS DESIGNED TO INSPIRE COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION, NO MATTER WHETHER THE EVENT IS UNOFFICIAL OR SEEMS ARBITRARY AND POINTLESS. MEMBERS HAVE A RIGHT TO THEIR OPINIONS AND A RIGHT TO NOT PARTICIPATE SHOULD THEY NOT WANT TO, BUT JUSTIFYING THEIR DECISION THROUGH COMMENTING FURTHER CAN DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD FOR AN EVENT BY WAY OF PROMOTING NEGATIVITY AND KILLING GENERATED INTEREST.

Hope my answers were clear enough... These questions may not lead to any change in activity or growth on the forum, but It's great to see a survey like this come out and I feel a step in a good direction. :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:34:53 PM by NO1SEY »

Offline Aozora

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 03:51:31 PM »
I just wanted to clarify my earlier post and just say that I was in no way trying to undermine the efforts being made to increase user activity through proposing various contest and events. I strongly support and admire this survey and that such efforts are being made to make this site more lively and active. If my earlier post did send off a negative and cynical vibe, then I apologize. What I was trying to say was that efforts to increase user activity should be focused on improving interaction and collaboration between artists and writers. In the current state, this community doesn't feel like a "Manga Artists & Manga Writers Community" as the site header says but rather feels like two separate communities of writers and artists. I really like No1sey's suggestion of having a competition that matches writers and artists. Through such a competition, writers could meet artists and vice versa and possibly form long lasting relationships and partnerships. These types of things will truly make this a unified community of artists and writers, and thus attract more users.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 04:13:36 PM »
^^ just in case you are worried, the last comment wasn't directed at anyone :)

Offline Aozora

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 04:32:18 PM »
Lol, I read your post and then read my post and then I felt I should try to explain what I was trying to say. I was overthinking it  :push:

Offline darlingGrim

• Deleted
  • Fight the moe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 05:08:48 PM »
(I already sent my survey in a PM.)

But I'm wary of a collaboration event.

I know I'm a very demanding type of artist. I need a writer that can storyboard. And A lot of amateur artists don't understand just how much work 1 page is. It takes me an entire day to pencil/ink/tone one page... IF I'M PRODUCTIVE. If it's the only thing I focus on (excluding bathroom breaks but I do eat while I work). Heck, if the writer doesn't do storyboards it's easily double the time because I have to figure out their story and how to show it. Writers need to know how to storyboard even if it's only stick figures.

The projects can't be too large and the writer/artist pairs need to stay in close contact with each other. The writer has to know their story and be able to explain clearly (and as concisely as possible) little details.

Basically if a collab event is done it will have to be very clean cut as both partners have to hold reponsibility. It's not a kind of project in which people can say "I might do it". Which is why I prefer solos. As I myself am fairly wishy-washy and afraid of commitment. Again with Collabs you have to commit. Some might say they want to do it only to realize they are in over their heads and panic.

But idk, I guess it's possible if it's done right, but I don't know what right is. ;>.>

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 07:15:36 PM »
Answers:
Spoiler
1)  I would like to see more contests but I think the problem is that no one wants to participate in them, they mostly want to get an artist or writer and leave

2)  I think only a few months should have a theme (only Halloween, Christmas and Romance for February)

3)  I put a manga artist (challenge) but no one wants to participate besides Nekonomicon but I think I covered the basics for beginners (plus it is always cool to look a year back and see your progression)

4)  I think original artwork is the best because it helps your anatomy skills rather than copying skills (of course some people make their own guidelines but this way they can call it their own character)

5)  I think a refreshing place to write off random stuff is important but if you work too much in the workshop then you aren't trying to make your story better (your skills improve but your progress on your story doesn't)

6)  I think it should be one shots for a competition otherwise it would be unfair towards some stories that are shorter

7)  I would love to see some collaboration contests because it brings writers and artists closer.  It also tells if those people are compatible or not.  If you do this then it should be like 15 pages max (to help the pressure on the artist)

8)  It would be interesting to have prizes but it should be graded like this:  Artwork 1-10, Story 1-10 and average them out so both artists and writer could collaborate to get a better chance at winning or if they go solo they still have a chance.  The prizes should be something that could benefit both writers and artists though

9)  For writers it should be a banner on the home page (for like a month) leading to their stories  (basically like promoting it).  For artists it should be things like a link/banner to their gallery on the home page and some supplies (dip pens, color pens, software, drawing pad, etc).

10)  Maybe like a random partnered contest, you join as a writer or artist and get a number (if you want i could just shuffle cards and randomize them that way)

11)  I don't use those...
12)  N/A
13)  N/A

14)  Yes I would.  I could always read some stories from Develop Your Story section with a dramatic voice...  but of course you would need the writer's permission because I don't trust Youtube as much...

15)  Speed paints and tutorials are the best

16)  Dramatic reading of stories that are in Develop Your Story (need permission from writer)

17)  I would like to see more activity XD (this is coming from a person who sometimes has moments of clicking the refresh button every 5 seconds and waiting for people to post by look at Who's Online...)

@darlingGrim
Spoiler
There are plenty of us writers who storyboard and are dedicated to make a series.  And also it usually takes me an hour or 2 to convert something into storyboards depending how mixed up the information is...  I do get your point that storyboarding takes time but that is something the writer needs to do, if he is incapable that is one thing but if he just doesn't want to (which I think it is most of the times) then don't work with him.  If they make no attempt at a storyboard then it probably isn't worth it because it shows how undedicated the writer is.  The stories in Develop Your Story can be written in script/novel format and not in storyboards but when artists decide to partner up with them then that is the time where it should be required

Offline AmanoMai

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 11:07:20 AM »
i want to see live chat back :sheep:

facebook? didn't even know we had one

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
There was a live chat? What about joining the MR Skype group?

Offline weissblanc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 11:52:07 AM »
1) Yes

2) No

3) Yes!!

4) I prefer original one

5) Yes

6) One-shot

7) Yes

8 ) YES!!!

9)
There's a simple reward that the forum could give, it's an " AWARD BADGE ".
An icon/a badge, under profile information which tell people that we won (or at least participated) on some contests.
A certain forum which I belonged few times ago did this and it worked great on attracting people to participate.

10) ^just like NO1SEY suggested

-------
11) Yes, but only for promoting!
Don't ever move forum activities to social media, it would make members lose interest in forum.
I was once a member of a certain forum similar to this, and it had its fall down after people were moving to facebook.

12) Some news and promotions related to the forum

13) Use social media to attract people to join this forum

-------
14) Yes

15) Tutorials/tips (drawing or writing) and speed paintings

16) Nope

-------
17) I would love to see a " GALLERY "!
A new feature on the forum which show some thumbnails of member's artworks or stories.
"Art Gallery" placed between Manga Artists and Manga Writers board, while "Story Gallery" placed between Manga Writers and Manga & Anime board.
(once again, I got inspired from my old forum, it had those things)

=======
I hope this forum get more awesome updates and more active members so we could have a lot more fun activities here.  :dance:

Pixiv id: 7529860

Offline Alkyun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 12:25:11 PM »
Spoiler
1.) It would be nice, but not too many going on at one time
2.) Themes would be cool
3.) same as (1)
4.) Both would be cool!
5.) As I'm not a writer I can't really say
6.) N/A for same reasons as above
7.) Definitely!
8.) It would be nice, but not necessary.
9.) Anime merch/art supplies would definitely be really cool, but realistically having a free commission/story promotion would be more practical
10.) -

11.) MR has social media accounts?
12.) Updates and announcements mainly
13.) -

14.) MR has a youtube account?
15.) Tutorials would be cool
16.) -

17.) A chat group room would be cool, also I feel there's some disconnect between the artists and writers, like there's 2 different communities, that could just be me, though my visits to the writers part of the forum are not frequent.

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »
Get ready for boring answers.

Contests:
1.) Sure
2.) Not everytime
3.) Yes
4.) Original
5.) I wouldn't enter them but why not. 
6.) One shots
7.) That'd be neat, I wouldn't enter them but it'd be cool to see.
8.) I don't think it's necessary...
9.) ^
10.) NO1ESY's idea was cool...I don't have anything cool to add.

Social Media:
11.) Well I wouldn't follow it myself but why not.
12.) News/contest updates
13.) ....not really

Youtube Channel:
14.) Sure
15.) Reviews and tutorials. Especially reviews.
16.) Um...not really.

Misc.
17.) I don't have much to say in this case...

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »

Contests:
1.) Yeah
2.) Definitely, or at the very least we prepare in advance before we miss certain seasons of the year. It's always a shame when we don't have much to show for stuff like Halloween or Christmas

3.) Yeah definitely, although the skill ceiling is super intimidating personally

4.) Would you prefer a competition to be Fan art or original artwork?

No problems with either. Fan art is probably more accessible anyways. Original artwork brings more challenge

5.) Would you like to see more Writers Contests?

Definite

6.) Would you prefer one shot/short story competitions or extracts continuations of you own works?

One shots and short stories rather than extracts. If there must be anything like continuations or extracts then I'd prefer serializing a long project into small segments like they do with japanese light novels before they get published into complete volumes.

7.) Would you like to see more Collaboration Contests?

Definitely

8.) Would you like to see more Competitions with prizes up for grabs?

Yus,  though it's much easier said than done. Really, participation feels like the main issue to fix more than anything

9.) What kind of prizes would you like to see from this list? Anime Merch/Manga Volumes/Drawing Equipment/DVD's/Winning an commissioned piece/Having your Artwork or story promoted? (Feel free to add anymore suggestions for prizes/rewards. Keep it realistic though, I'm willing to purchase prizes myself, but I'm not made of money :P)

No comment. Stickers?

10.) Any other suggestions for Competitions?

Nekomimi

Social Media:
11.) Would you like to see the Facebook/Twitter accounts to be more active?

A bit. More twitter than facebook though

12.) What kind of content would you like to see on these? (Major anime/manga/site news, contests being promoted etc.)

Basically stuff that MR's up to. But till we have some anthologies going I don't think there's a real need for them just yet. We need to have 'stuff made by MR' before we go out there imo

13.) Any other suggestions for Social Media?

More Nekomimi

Youtube Channel:
14.) Would you like to see more content on the Youtube Channel?
Yes yes

15.) What kind of Content would you like to see on the Youtube Channel from this list? AMV's/Speed paints/Reviews/writing and art tutorials

Funny stuff. Tutorials, podcasts. Nekomimi

16.) Any other suggestions for the Youtube Channel?

More Nekomimi

Misc.
17.) Any other feedback/suggestions on what you'd like to see from the community? (More use of skype, quizzes and games)

Nekomimi

Offline Nekonomicon

• =^.^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »
I agree. Nekomimi will bring in crowds.