March 28, 2024, 04:06:45 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What is Your Inspiration/ Motivates You???!!  (Read 6616 times)

Offline Aozora

• MangaRaiders Long-time Member (10-Year Anniversary)
  • Author of Hikaru Rising
    • View Profile
What is Your Inspiration/ Motivates You???!!
« on: January 09, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
To all you wonderful artists and writers out there, I have a simple question: Why do you write/draw?

What drives you to keep working hard and not give up?

Anyways I'll go first and list my reason in increasing importance:

1. Fame/Recognition - I've never been a popular kid in any sense, and I don't seek fame/recognition so that I will become popular; I'm not that shallow...at least I hope not XD. However, I do think it would be cool to be known for something you're really good at. If I become a great mangaka and I hear someone on the side of the road whisper to his friend, "Hey, isn't that the guy who makes awesome manga," that would make my day. Anyways, this is more of a childish desire than an actual dream.

2. Passion - I love writing. I started writing as a hobby when I was in elementary school. I used to write 'The Adventures of Bob Gaga', a bunch of crazy, silly stories that served as a medium for my vast imagination. But as I got busier with school and life, my time for writing decreased until I was no longer doing it. But now I've picked it up again and have joined this amazing community. And I've gotta say writing has helped me in so many ways, just in terms of unwinding from a hard day, or freeing my ideas, etc. It's just great.

3. Inspiring others - This is the most important reason for not only why I write, but why I want to write manga specifically. I could write a novel or a poem or a short story, but I chose manga because manga (and comics) have a greater capacity to inspire youth than any other literary medium, in my opinion. I say this from personal experience. When I first picked up Naruto in sixth grade, I cannot even describe the feeling. I thought it was the best thing ever known to mankind. Wasting away my days just binge watching Naruto gave me so much happiness and pleasure. But that's not all. Naruto, being nothing more than a simple entertaining action comic, actually conveyed deep themes, messages, and values. To name a few, they are the will to never give up; the ability to understand and empathize with others; the importance of breaking the cycle of hatred and revenge. It's the same thing with Avatar and Legend of Korra. When Korra steps in to save the evil Kuvira from the laser in the season finale, that was just so powerful. I want to do the same. I want to recreate the feeling I felt when reading/watching Naruto for the first time in the next generation of children and manga readers. I want to create something that when the reader picks it up he/she will think "THIS...IS...AMAZING." 

*Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant. Also I apologize for all the naruto references XD. I really wanna hear your guys' inspirations and motivations too, so please rant as well  ;D   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 06:02:41 PM by God Usopp »

Offline bossx5

• View Profile
Re: What is Your Inspiration???!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 09:20:40 PM »
Well for me I always wantef to be a mangaka even in elementary school when my teachers asked. (Those after third grade because I didn't talk in school till the I was really shy) I would say a cartoonist because back then I didn't know the difference. And I have always loved to draw and t have so many ideas to put out.

Offline Aozora

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 09:23:40 PM »
That's awesome man! I only recently decided that I might want to make a career out of writing manga. It's really cool that you've had the dream of becoming a mangaka since you were little. Keep drawing and good luck!

Offline bossx5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 09:32:26 PM »
Thanks I took a break in middle school cause around then dragonball z was big so Mr my cousin and friend started to train I got buff and. Stopped drawing till the end of high-school

Offline Aozora

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 09:38:39 PM »
Haha, seriously bro?! I'm trying to get buff too but it's not working out so well XD. One reason is because Indians generally have a smaller body type (except my brother, he's huge) and second reason is because I don't eat enough food and protein to gain significant body mass.

Offline WhiteCrow

• Society X Origins undergoing changes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 09:44:14 PM »
I don't think I have any inspiration at this time.

As with any field that relates to media, the competition is plenty. I mean, at times I come on here and think to myself "Maybe the reason so many of us don't comment on a developing story or anything like that is because in all technicality, we are in a silent competition." At this moment I think my main motive and inspiration is just to write something and get these ideas out of my head, it can feel overwhelming at times to have so much going on in my head. So writing is a form of therapy I guess.

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 09:49:22 PM »
Since I was 4 or 5 years old and I made my very first comic book I knew I wanted to make comics. I haven't stop since and while it doesn't show...I keep going.

Why do I keep going? I want to be important, I want to matter to people. I want to be someone cool and awesome. I want people I know to be proud they know me. Bad reasoning or not if I'm being honest it's true. It's what I want and hope for, to make my comics professional on my terms. How likely is this? Not very considering where things are going. One day I might have to face reality, I'm already at the age that I should be basically. But I can still hope. Hope that one day I can get there and spread my stupid silly comics to all to enjoy.

It's bad that this is the main reason but it's true. Making comics isn't escapism or anything like that for me. It's not even my favourite thing in the world to do, it's like #2. Music is a much bigger passion of mine. Comics don't have the amazing effect of awesome music on me. But I know art is my calling. It's what I gotta do.

I also hope print medium is still around by the time this happens. Once that is gone than all is lost. Digital files have no value or worth whatsoever. They are worthless and nothing to me. I cannot physical own them and I can easily get a pirated version of that very same file in seconds. They have no value. If that's all that's left in the future than God damn that sucks. But that's other rant.

Basically I just want people to read my comics and not say "this is fine art" or "what a breath taking message". I just want to make fun comics for all to enjoy and to be someone awesome.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:52:32 PM by Manimal »

Offline Aozora

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 09:51:08 PM »
That's actually interesting WhiteCrow...I never thought about it like that--a silent competition. To be honest, I thought nobody commented on developing stories because everyone is a lazy ass (me included XD) except for a select few. I see what you're saying about writing being therapeutic. I also sometimes need writing to get all the ideas out of my head. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I was 4 or 5 years old and I made my very first comic book I knew I wanted to make comics. I haven't stop since and while it doesn't show...I keep going.

Why do I keep going? I want to be important, I want to matter to people. I want to be someone cool and awesome. I want people I know to be proud they know me. Bad reasoning or not if I'm being honest it's true. It's what I want and hope for, to make my comics professional on my terms. How likely is this? Not very considering where things are going. One day I might have to face reality, I'm already at the age that I should be basically. But I can still hope. Hope that one day I can get there and spread my stupid silly comics to all to enjoy.

It's bad that this is the main reason but it's true. Making comics isn't escapism or anything like that for me. It's not even my favourite thing in the world to do, it's like #2. Music is a much bigger passion of mine. Comics don't have the amazing effect of awesome music on me. But I know art is my calling. It's what I gotta do.

I also hope print medium is still around by the time this happens. Once that is gone than all is lost. Digital files have no value or worth whatsoever. They are worthless and nothing to me. I cannot physical own them and I can easily get a pirated version of that very same file in seconds. They have no value. If that's all that's left in the future than God damn that sucks. But that's other rant.

Basically I just want people to read my comics and not say "this is fine art" or "what a breath taking message". I just want to make fun comics for all to enjoy and to be someone awesome.

"Bad reasoning"? Don't be silly; there's no such thing. Who doesn't want to be cool and awesome? Who doesn't want to be respected and renowned around the world? It's something we all think and dream about whether we accept it or not, and that's why I have that as one of the main reasons why I continue to write. I can understand your fear of everything becoming digital but for now I'd say don't worry about it and just keep focusing on what you're doing. Also, Manimal I don't think we're acquainted. It's nice to meet you. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:57:54 PM by God Usopp »

Offline bossx5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 10:15:50 AM »
Well we did stuff like when watching TV during commercial breaks do fifty push ups it was fun and simple after about three hours of that we couldn't feel our arms we did this for the whole summer I can now do it easily

Offline neoraise

• -Breakeven-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »
Inspiration?

i just wished a certain person to read atleast one of my stories and or just see my work if ever in the future..

that's the reason i'd keep on going..

if ever that person feel sad,happy or just be annoyed..im satisfied with it..
No matter how i refuse to look,yet it surrounds me.

Offline Aozora

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 11:27:23 AM »
Hey there neoraise! Don't worry about it. Just keep working hard and one day, people all over the world will be reading your stories.

Offline neoraise

• -Breakeven-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 12:03:10 PM »
tnx but i dont mind if many people will hate me,adore me or praise me as long "that" person didnt read atleast one of my stories, all my effort will be worthless..every story is dedicated to that very important person..that single person is my inspiration and as well-my goal..as an newbie artist and writer,if i do be succesful to publish my stories...the thoughts of that person when reading one of my stories..is my one and only trophy.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:08:03 PM by neoraise »
No matter how i refuse to look,yet it surrounds me.

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 05:49:38 PM »
I guess my inspiration is the things I've watched and read?

Its not like I feel like I was born to do or my life long passion or anything so bold as that. I just daydream a lot, so I turn those day dreams and musings into stories. I like to write for the enjoyment of it, I have a lot of fun weaving a story together, but that's really what motivates me I suppose.

Offline Aozora

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 06:01:54 PM »
Ah, I see. That's cool; I like to daydream a lot too XD. Just out of curiosity what are some of the things you've read and watched that serve as your main inspirations? Also, nice to meet you  :biggrin:

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
Re: What is Your Inspiration/ Motivates You???!!
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »
hmmmm, Well...Final Fantasy VII and the FF series as a whole are a big influence on me. The Lord of the Rings books are some of the earliest novels I remember reading and still some of the best (Loved the movies too). The Warhammer and 40k Franchises have incredibly diverse and interesting Universes too (Dan Abnetts Gaunts Ghosts novels are fantastic pieces of literature). Then of course all the anime and Manga I take in too, that has an effect on me, as well as movies, tv, music or just real life experiences. So plenty to draw inspiration from :P

and nice to meet you too Usopp