April 13, 2024, 11:34:40 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: why do you write?  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Lovus Eternius

• I'm just a writer.
  • Firstborne INC. Making life great again.
    • View Profile
Re: why do you write?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 10:38:36 PM »
To be honest the reason I write is probably every reason you could ever possibly think of.

Offline Crackhead Johny

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 08:26:05 PM »
Most recently? As a favor to a friend is how it started. He was a friend from a game company I was at. It collapsed after 10 years. I got him a job where I work (IT now) and he came over to my place and began to gripe that since the collapse of the company he doesn't do art and his skills are rotting in a bad way.
He did real good art at the company so I felt bad for him. I told him to go find a writer and do a web comic. He said "OK, you write me a web comic!". I said "You know me, do you think that is wise? Do you know how many people will need therapy if they read it?". He said he didn't care and so I began writing the web comic. Well I provided the ref art for the look I was looking for and we hit a snag. While his art is great he just cannot wrap his brain around the anime/manga style (if you are writing a parody of anime you kind of need this).
Now he is out of the picture, the brain will just not let it drop. Compounding this an ex who is an author who loved the idea of coming over for writing dates so she comes over and we write.

Previously?
Elementary school. Wrote some scifi to show my mom what was wrong with her books. Good job kid, the elementary schooler should always be willing to step up and show the professional author how to write.

Post HS. Was going to try to win and award for my mom as she never got one of the good ones. I thought I had created the perfect short to do this.. until one reader pointed out that 1 paragraph was almost word for word Neil Stephenson. After reading Snowcrash, I agreed. Never went back to fit it.

Game company years: I wrote flavor. Best moment was showing some of it from a scifi RPG I was designing to other game devs who were working a scifi RPG.. A year later at the hobby store I find a scifi game.. their scifi game, I find they took some of my artist's work and even my race names and a few details and stuffed it in their game. They missed the big point of my discussion/presentation (why there are no good P&P scifi games and yet there are fantasy ones that are fine/loved) and thus their game is unremembered.

As it is I do not want to do it. Mom was an author, that is her thing. But once I start writing the brain will just not let it go. I guess it is like alcoholism.

Offline Lovus Eternius

• I'm just a writer.
  • Firstborne INC. Making life great again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 12:47:29 AM »
You didn't work for Ensemble did you? (Probably not, but it's worth asking).

Offline Shisko

• Theoretical Astrophysicist
  • I am a writer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 01:26:06 AM »
I have so many ideas and I enjoy bringing them alive with my words. I wish I had the artistic style to go with it, but otherwise it is something I thoroughly enjoy.  The ideas I have and what goes on in my head, I can not keep them there and I want others to try to experience what I have through reading them.
"Science is a way to keep from fooling our self and each other..." Dr. Tyson

Offline Theonesuperx

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 08:44:49 PM »
I write becuase I like to write stories and share them to other people. It just also fun writing a story and making a world  and other characters backgrounds. It is very fun,
You encountered Unit 731! Holy Crap!

Offline Crackhead Johny

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
You didn't work for Ensemble did you? (Probably not, but it's worth asking).
Nope.

maybe writing is just therapy for the mad?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 04:02:37 AM by Crackhead Johny »