March 29, 2024, 02:12:01 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Naoki Urasawa interview  (Read 18385 times)

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
Re: Naoki Urasawa interview
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 06:08:54 PM »
Does it really matter if a veteran has a dated style? To me it'd be more odd if he changed his style.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 06:22:18 PM »
Does it really matter if a veteran has a dated style? To me it'd be more odd if he changed his style.

What you're really asking me is whether my opinion matters or not. in this case, i'm only stating it, not trying to prove a point. but because you continue to respond with the same opinion that had nothing to do with mine, i had to clarify not once, but twice with you.

So now you want to make a discussion on whether it "matters"? I'll say one thing: Naoki has plenty of room to improve. He's too limited to style. for example, the same beady eyes, the same heavily drawn noses, and the same hairstyles. Granted, i know he's going for a realistic look, but it doesn't all look like that. He knows how to draw "ugly" characters the most.

and thats not an insult to his work, that is really what he draws, even when he's trying to make a woman look beautiful its hard to appreciate the design.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 07:53:25 PM »
Well, it irks me, but I don't think it's that bad. In the end the final product is impressive, and it's clear he puts a lot of heart into it.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 08:54:42 PM »
Well, it irks me, but I don't think it's that bad. In the end the final product is impressive, and it's clear he puts a lot of heart into it.
it wouldn't think it was so bad if he wasn't so well known and has released multiple works.

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »

What you're really asking me is whether my opinion matters or not. in this case, i'm only stating it, not trying to prove a point. but because you continue to respond with the same opinion that had nothing to do with mine, i had to clarify not once, but twice with you.

So now you want to make a discussion on whether it "matters"? I'll say one thing: Naoki has plenty of room to improve. He's too limited to style. for example, the same beady eyes, the same heavily drawn noses, and the same hairstyles. Granted, i know he's going for a realistic look, but it doesn't all look like that. He knows how to draw "ugly" characters the most.

and thats not an insult to his work, that is really what he draws, even when he's trying to make a woman look beautiful its hard to appreciate the design.
Really? I thought Kanna from 20th Century Boys was quite pretty. He does draw a lot of ugly characters, though. I can understand why. As far as I can tell, he aims for social realism, not necessarily visual realism, in that he tries to flesh out his characters as much as possible in terms of their social qualities, including their appearance, putting in the details that would give the read a certain impression of the characters, but he still portrays their appearance in a cartoonish visual style. I don't see a problem with that, to be honest. Urasawa's work is very much story-driven, and the visual aesthetic doesn't call too much attention to itself unless you're looking for it. I can see the inspiration he draws from Bob Dylan whose music, by itself, isn't riveting but whose songs are very much lyrically driven. It's a rough, homely, almost folk-y atmosphere that he creates, rather than a visceral one. But just like Bob Dylan is as often disliked as liked, I can totally understand your qualms, but, personally, I quite enjoy his work.

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 03:37:21 AM »
Honestly, all we ever see in manga is good looking characters who'd probably not even look that good in real life. So Urasawa's style is quite refreshing in that aspect.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 04:14:05 AM »
I feel like in manga, not all characters have to be good looking, but he makes it so that you can't really enjoy them visually at any.

But he could do more variation in his style. Styles often change slowly. but with Naoki stays the same almost to a T. i would like it to be more appealing.. and i'm not even asking for  a lot of them, but when he does fully intend to draw beautiful characters, he adds variety and more modern feel. he draws characters as if their stuck in the 90s/80s and i would forgive that more if they were written in 90s/80s

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 05:19:33 AM »
I'll agree he could try to at least improve his style, but I doubt he'll do that, he'd rather just keep doing things his way. I don't really mind either way.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 05:38:40 AM »
What is "his way"? he can still improve and call it his. Look at Kosuke fujishima the author of Oh My Goddess!.

The improvement was slow, but looking at it now is breath taking (and even has a couple of ugly characters in it)

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 07:06:07 AM »
By "his way" I'm talking about him doing whatever he thinks is right, so whatever he does is up to him (that's sorta what he said in the interview)

I went to look at some of his recent stuff and I wouldn't say his characters look "ugly", yeah there's the big noses on the guys but that gives them a special character imo.

They look good to me.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »
They still look "dated". the girl is one of the few times he can draw, but i know that can change by the lack or over abundance of quality. That characters hairstyle isn't as common as it once was. The big noses is only part of the issue, its also beady eyes, and dated hairstyles.

and to me, whether he believes is right is kind of like saying "whatever happens, is the correct way". which to me, means he can write and draw with no intention of being good and call it "good".

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 10:36:41 AM »
Be right back , Tombstone-ing Akira Toriyama for not changing his 'air-bag filled' muscles-aplenty concept & portrayal for male superhero characters .
PM me if you wanted a critique. It takes time for one to come to you, so please be patient.

If you wanted it to be public or private, do tell me.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »
Akira Toriyama actually does vary his style (while keeping his style). For example: Look at his dragon quest cover art.

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »
Akira Toriyama actually does vary his style (while keeping his style). For example: Look at his dragon quest cover art.
Hahaha , yes , I'm well aware of that . I was just poking out a joke out of this current discussion (I guess I'll stick to my 'natural' jokes instead ...)

Okay , on to my personal opinion .

I always had this saying in my mind ,'If it's not broken yet , why fix it ?' . In my opinion , he's probably afraid of 'breaking it' & the reaction he'll get if he does 'break it' . Everytime one risk implementing something that is out of ones 'comfort zone' , both to oneself & to the fans , one needs to expect the unexpected ... not many like such risk though ...

So , yeah ... big nose ... okay . So he draws lots of ... 'ugly' characters ... okay . Outdated art style ... okay .

His 'ugly' characters ain't ugly at all & I can easily point out a good amount of newer generations manga artists who're guilty for the opposite of this guy , for drawing mostly 'pretty' characters . Heck , I can also say Range Murata (not really a manga artist . More like a designer for animes) for drawing mostly chlid-like anime characters (okay ...) or CLAMP for drawing mostly elongated characters (okay ...).

He chose to draw it in such a way because he chose to & although he draws a lot of it , that does not mean that he cannot draw different art styles as well . But he chose not to as he feels that it does not represent 'him' in the world of manga/comic , but there will be times that he might've feel like the time is right to add something different in his works to give it a bit of 'variety' , 'change' etc. , but not so much that it smoulders his signature art style .

Sure , like my personal favorite manga artist , Kosuke Fujishima , who opt to fix his art style at that time , Naoki Urasawa's art style can be improved , to me , personally , in my opinion (there's no such thing as the end of the road when it comes to art) but this is up to him if he wants to or not - no one but him/herself should dictate his/her art style simply because it's not appealing anymore , only the technical flaws that lies underneath his art style , which is not 'broken' at all (he is , after all , a veteran manga artist) . Art style is subjective , there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to it .

Sure , it does not appeal to some of you , so do I (but I prefer to like it at the same time , that's just being me) . So let's just leave it at that . He probably never had that intention to create something that will appeal to readers like us (you can't appease all , it's completely impossible) , so let's respect that decision of his . It's his work after all , he has the control over it , not us .

... I'd sure launch my pencil missiles at them if they ask me to change MY art style for 'selfish' reasons ... I need to 'purge' myself , too high on Caffeine - I feel like ranting =_= .
PM me if you wanted a critique. It takes time for one to come to you, so please be patient.

If you wanted it to be public or private, do tell me.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:15 AM »
Haha, it's quite the informative rant though.

Must coffee up too. I'm in for a long one.