March 29, 2024, 11:24:26 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Pseudo Market Research  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Darksquirrel

• Mine is the fury
    • View Profile
Pseudo Market Research
« on: July 14, 2014, 01:59:54 PM »
Note. I'm not sure whether this thread is in it's rightful place, so if I've put it where I'm not supposed to please move it.

I have been inactive for close to a year now, mainly because I just haven't been drawing or writing very much. However, I have actually been working on a little something recently, and that little something gave birth to this thread. You see, I've began writing a story that will hopefully be slightly more long lived than my last attempt at a narrative (Part of which I posted on the forums, the other part I've kept to myself). Because of my hope for it's longevity, I have decided to make this thread and see how people would feel about the ideas behind the story, before I post the first part.

Alright, the focal character of the story will be the son of the ruler of a vast intergalactic empire.

There will be specific issues the character has to deal with that I don't want to reveal at this point, but I will try my best to make them as original as I can (As in, nothing about him dealing with adolescent stuff and that lot).

The Imperial army's apparel will be loosely based on that of Ancient Rome's, and some of the Empire's more organised enemies will be based on some groups of people who might not be considered civilised by most.

There will be some crazy technological concepts like Space whaling, Space restaurants, Space-based industrial complexes and BLOODY FLOATING SPACE CITIES, THINK CLOUD CITY IN SPACE!

... Ahem, as I was saying.

There will be some violent and blunt parts,  but I'm going to try and hammer some philosophical messages into the story, none of which will advocate war or violence.

There will be humorous parts, or at least parts I hope people will find humorous.

So, please just give me some feedback on what I said, feel free to inquire further (I have not actually said that much, in hindsight...), and please, please, please make some suggestions for what you would like to see in the story. Thank you, and I promise I'll try to at least be a little involved in the MR community from now on, and not just go MIA for a year.

EDIT. The basic plot will involve the empire being beset on all sides by its enemies (Much like the last days of Rome), and the son being forced to step up and take charge to save his motherland. He will also have to get involved in the very political side of things, quelling smaller revolts within the empire as well as making sure people do not take sides with the enemy.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:50:43 AM by Darksquirrel »
Light novel guildsmen, Click here

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
Re: Pseudo Market Research
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »
hello. I kind of see a setting for your story but thats all I see. If this is all you have then I think this story needs to be developed a bit more by you .

Offline Darksquirrel

• Mine is the fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »
hello. I kind of see a setting for your story but thats all I see. If this is all you have then I think this story needs to be developed a bit more by you .

Thanks. I touched on this in the original post but I was being quite vague with the things I said about the story, mainly because I don't like to reveal spoilers. I wasn't going to lay out the plot and see what people thought of it, because that would render writing it up pointless. I basically just wanted to see what people thought of the setting and concept, and maybe gather some ideas for further development. I assure you, I already have at least the first half of the story mapped out, both mentally and digitally (by mindmap). I suppose I should have put in more details about the main character, that would have probably given a lot more information.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 04:59:56 PM »
Is it written already? If so it's probably better to post each chapter in the manga creations section rather than in the development section and keep this as a thread for feedback and critique. We haven't really been given anything to help you develop your story and trying to avoid spoilers is a little bit unhelpful here too.

On the other hand your idea sounds fairly interesting and open ended. So I would like to see what you do with it, but I dont have enough information to male any further judgements really.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 07:32:20 PM »
I rather have a summary of what the story is about even if means spoiling, and really, what is there to spoil? the beginning?

you're giving me ideas, and i'm just scratching my head wondering what you want me to get out of it. action? ok, but what makes it worth reading?

i dont give suggestions until i know what this story is about, and even then i dont give "direct" suggestions, i give suggestions you can turn on your own.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 07:16:29 PM »
Concepts are easy to manipulate and put on mind maps, but a plot at the very least would be helpful. What does the so called son of a ruler do? Is he trying to overthrow his father? Going on an adventure? For a synopsis you 'spoil' the starting off point all the times anyways, so there's really not much help you can get.

Characters make the story too so more than a wow concept, an interesting bunch of characters are more of interest. After all it's through their eyes that the story is seen.

Offline Darksquirrel

• Mine is the fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:52:50 AM »
I edited it to outline the basic plot if you want to see it, but I'm just post the first chapter in Manga creations.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:42:54 PM by Darksquirrel »