April 18, 2024, 06:31:43 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Odicia  (Read 14849 times)

Offline Osamura

• I like comics
    • View Profile
Odicia
« on: July 14, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »
All of the old Odicia stuff from 2014 is under the spoiler below.

Spoiler
So here's the comic book project I've been working on.  I wouldn't call it a manga but it has some manga influences. 

Title:  Odicia
Genre:  Fantasy, Action, Adventure, Comedy
Target Demographic: kids 8 - 12 years old

Short Synopsis:
Odicia is the story of a world at war as the kingdom of Valhara continues its crusade to obtain the magical stones called Odicite.  The other nations of the world are struggling in the fight against Valhara’s advanced weaponry and massive army.  A cunning rebel named Eyalla Troy, while trying to undermine Valhara’s efforts, discovers a strange, blue-haired man named Alex Mercer who is suffering from amnesia.  Unbeknownst to Alex and Eyalla, his shrouded past carries deep ties to both Valhara and Odicia’s ancient past.

Cover Illustration
Spoiler

Pages 1-27
It reads from left to right.

Spoiler
Page 1
Spoiler

Page 2
Spoiler

Page 3
Spoiler

Page 4
Spoiler

Page 5
Spoiler

Page 6
Spoiler

Page 7
Spoiler

Page 8
Spoiler

Page 9
Spoiler

Page 10
Spoiler

Page 11
Spoiler

Page 12
Spoiler

Page 13
Spoiler

Page 14
Spoiler

Page 15
Spoiler

Page 16
Spoiler

Page 17
Spoiler

Page 18
Spoiler

Page 19
Spoiler

Page 20 and 21
Spoiler

Page 22
Spoiler

Page 23
Spoiler

Page 24
Spoiler

Page 25
Spoiler

Page 26
Spoiler

Page 27
Spoiler

So, instead of making a new thread I figured I should just add to this one. I know I haven't posted on here in quite some time, but I'm still working on Odicia! Just to be clear it's not a continuation of the comic posted in the spoiler above. It's a brand new, full-color Odicia webcomic I started working on last year. This new Odicia comic is the fourth attempt by myself and Odicia's co-creator at making a comic with these characters and this world. We just don't know when to quit! I hope you'll consider giving it a read!

Title (it's not Odicia anymore!): The Song of Eyala Troy

Brief rundown: Set in a fantasy world full of magic and monsters called, Odicia, The Song of Eyala Troy follows the story of its titular heroine, as she and her comrades set out on a dangerous quest to put an end to the Kingdom of Valhara’s corrupt crusade to rob Odicia of all its mystical creatures.

The story is still just getting started, but you can read the entire webcomic so far on the Odicia Tumblr page in my signature. I've also posted the first handful of pages in the spoiler below so you can get a taste of the new webcomic here. We're also working on making Odicia into a retro-style, RPG video game. If you're interested, you can find links to the game's development blog on the Odicia Tumblr page in my signature. Thanks for reading!

Spoiler

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:02:55 AM by Osamura »
All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them

http://odicia.tumblr.com/
http://camleecomics.tumblr.com/

Offline Austadophilus

• View Profile
Re: Odicia
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
Interesting stuff! I like Eyalla and her design. ^^ Can't wait to see more!

Offline inashosetai

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:15:45 AM »
Wow. The art style is different. That was very refreshing—the mixture of manga and comics, whether that was intentional or not. I like that the story is fast-paced and sends the reader right into the action.

Your drawing skills in regards to the human anatomy are more advanced than what I normally see. Thank you for all the hours that you have spent and will spend to continue to learn the structure of the human body! I appreciate it every time I see it.

I give you my best wishes in your endeavors to create manga.

~ inashosetai

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:57:36 AM »
The art reminded me of Tezuka's style and the action sequences reminded me of Dragon Quest's manga, that was enough to get me to read the whole thing. Really basic concept but still quite interesting. Keep it up!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 02:59:06 AM »
That was a fun read! I liked the art too. The toning is done well. Methinks I could learn a thing or two from this. Are these all the pages you've done?

Offline Osamura

• I like comics
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 03:58:10 PM »
Interesting stuff! I like Eyalla and her design. ^^ Can't wait to see more!

Eyalla is, by far, the character I get the most comments on after people read it.  I'm glad people seem to like her!

Wow. The art style is different. That was very refreshing—the mixture of manga and comics, whether that was intentional or not. I like that the story is fast-paced and sends the reader right into the action.

Your drawing skills in regards to the human anatomy are more advanced than what I normally see. Thank you for all the hours that you have spent and will spend to continue to learn the structure of the human body! I appreciate it every time I see it.

I give you my best wishes in your endeavors to create manga.

~ inashosetai

I'd say manga/comics style mixture is somewhat intentional, somewhat unintentional.  I draw a lot of inspiration from both eastern and western art and comics so I guess it makes sense that it shows in my work.  And yeah, going to college and studying illustration has definitely done wonders for my ability to draw human anatomy, but there will always be room for improvement.

The art reminded me of Tezuka's style and the action sequences reminded me of Dragon Quest's manga, that was enough to get me to read the whole thing. Really basic concept but still quite interesting. Keep it up!

High praise to have my art mentioned in the same sentence as Tezuka.  Thank you!

That was a fun read! I liked the art too. The toning is done well. Methinks I could learn a thing or two from this. Are these all the pages you've done?

I have about 10 additional pages completed as well and I'm about to start working on the next batch of pages too.  I may post pages 18-27 soon, we'll see.

Thank you all for reading and commenting!  I really appreciate it and I'm glad you all seem to have enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:09:28 AM by Osamura »

Offline Osamura

• I like comics
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 03:16:44 PM »
Quick update.  I've added the cover illustration.  It's drawn by my good friend and Odicia's co-creator.  He's a really talented artist, I think it came out really well.

Offline Synctual

• Are You Nasty?
  • Miss Jackson! Miss Jackson! Miss Jackson!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 03:43:38 PM »
Wow, I love your art style and that cover is amazing. The story reminds me of avatar a little, but that's not a problem. I 'm looking forward to more of this.  :biggrin:

Put This Here To Make You Sad
My Story
Rock Star! (Shonen)

Offline N0yz3Play

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 11:53:56 AM »
Nice art style, it fits with the flow of your story. Especially liked your cover page!
N0yz3Play Deviantart page: http://n0yz3play.deviantart.com

Offline Osamura

• I like comics
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 12:10:43 AM »
Hey guys.  It's been a while since I've been on here but I have an update!  10 new pages have been added to the first post!  Enjoy and of course, comments are welcome.

Offline Greymanz

• Writer/King of the New New World
  • "And Im All Like Myeh"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »
The cover reminded me of LOZ Wind Waker in the way you made the eyes. XD Great work here, i like it!  :dance:

Offline confused dad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 08:58:21 PM »
i read through this earlier before i registered and i actually enjoyed it, however i do not believe it could become much more than this one shot you've created. that is, without being too cliche.

there are so many typical manga/comic influences in this work that it makes it rather predictable and simple. for instance, the typical elemental techniques/spells fantasy world. this is completely flexible to dozens of plots and several different scenarios with different characters, but the story then progresses in to what several other comics and manga have done. kingdom is clearly oppressive - strong hero/heroine gets in trouble with guards - chase. to start off a comic or manga, in the one shot, i feel it should a) set up the storyline for the rest of the series, b) introduce the hero/heroine and their enemies, and c) *the step i believe you missed* show off the story's uniqueness. what makes me want to read this story over any other fantasy manga/comic? it has the same typical characters and beginning plot that every other one does. not to mention the whole 'enter the random naked guy with no memory of his super power but somehow able to use it conveniently' bit. idk it was just too predictable for me, sorry. i don't mean to seem harsh, because as the other comments read, the characters are likable, this first chapter just didn't make me want to keep reading.

the art is well done though. i only suggest working on paneling a bit. sometimes it seemed scenes were a bit rushed, and big reveals were de-glamorized by their placing.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:00:51 PM by confused dad »

perverted mangaka with frequent narcissistic tendencies

Offline Osamura

• I like comics
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
i read through this earlier before i registered and i actually enjoyed it, however i do not believe it could become much more than this one shot you've created. that is, without being too cliche.

there are so many typical manga/comic influences in this work that it makes it rather predictable and simple. for instance, the typical elemental techniques/spells fantasy world. this is completely flexible to dozens of plots and several different scenarios with different characters, but the story then progresses in to what several other comics and manga have done. kingdom is clearly oppressive - strong hero/heroine gets in trouble with guards - chase. to start off a comic or manga, in the one shot, i feel it should a) set up the storyline for the rest of the series, b) introduce the hero/heroine and their enemies, and c) *the step i believe you missed* show off the story's uniqueness. what makes me want to read this story over any other fantasy manga/comic? it has the same typical characters and beginning plot that every other one does. not to mention the whole 'enter the random naked guy with no memory of his super power but somehow able to use it conveniently' bit. idk it was just too predictable for me, sorry. i don't mean to seem harsh, because as the other comments read, the characters are likable, this first chapter just didn't make me want to keep reading.

the art is well done though. i only suggest working on paneling a bit. sometimes it seemed scenes were a bit rushed, and big reveals were de-glamorized by their placing.

Thanks for reading and caring enough to share your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

You are by no means the first person to mention that Odicia is fairly cliche and simple and I highly doubt you'll be the last haha. But that aside, it's still the kind of story that I enjoy and had/have a ton of fun working on. While I haven't worked on it much recently due to being busy with work/life I am still working on Odicia, because a) its a nice way flex my art muscles, and b) these are stories and characters that have been in my head for a while now and it's nice to just put them on the page and lay them to rest. So yeah, Odicia probably won't be a glorious masterpiece, but oh well. Perhaps if you continue reading the story as I post it, the story's uniqueness will become apparent, but it sounds like I may have lost you already.

Would you mind elaborating on that comment about the paneling and scenes being rushed. I do want the story to move at a fast pace but I definitely don't want it to feel rushed.

Offline confused dad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 04:02:43 PM »
Would you mind elaborating on that comment about the paneling and scenes being rushed. I do want the story to move at a fast pace but I definitely don't want it to feel rushed.

yea! well, i was making reference mainly to the end; the scene with the bazooka and the bad guys chasing them. idk maybe it's just my obsession with extremely elaborate writing, but i felt that it was a very quick and clean ending. meh don't take my word for it hahaha. i hope i didn't come off too harsh it really is a nice idea, and what you said makes sense. i definitely will continue to read as you post.

perverted mangaka with frequent narcissistic tendencies

Offline Wigdilly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 07:27:28 AM »
I thought it was pretty good, the pacing is pretty fast though imo.

Also pg.13 *amatersu* haha just kidding it looks great.