March 29, 2024, 01:27:03 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Best Video Game You Ever Played?  (Read 17772 times)

Offline GingerStark

• Social & Political Scientist
  • There is no single truth, only contingent theories
    • View Profile
Re: Best Video Game You Ever Played?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »
The last of us definitely had a good story, high quality gameplay and interesting characters  :hmm: However I felt it had the perfect chance to include a 'choice' element like Heavy Rain but for some reason it didn't. I also found the part where Joel gets himself impaled yet manages to get nursed back to health by Ellie to be bit of a far stretch... How the heck does a 14 year old manage heal such a wound??

Offline Syntax

• Starving Artist
  • My cardboard box is nice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 11:22:34 AM »
Spoiler
She doesn't do it by herself. She gets medicine from the other group of people out there. Also, the human will to live is very powerful when it needs to be. Ellie didn't so much as Joel just fought to stay alive. It helped that the wound was mostly just a flesh one, that missed vital organs. Besides, there are far less realistic elements to equally incredible stories.

I found Heavy Rain's "choices" entirely irrelevant in the end. You have no control of the final outcome, of who the killer is, of what he truly decides to do. They're mock choices, superficial and designed to make the player feel like they have more control than they actually do. I didn't even find Heavy Rain's story itself to be terribly compelling. The Last of Us doesn't need choices. A decision making system would have ruined the game entirely. The whole point is the story that unfolds. Mess with that, and The Last of Us loses something invaluable. The themes of The Last of Us do not mesh well with player choice, as the characters then lose a lot of their credibility. But if you want to get a little technical, the gameplay itself is very choice driven in the sense that the player usually decides how to tackle a level or challenge.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:59:00 PM by Syntax »

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 11:56:53 AM »
Damnit man, that was too close, I really am looking forward to playing that game so spoiler tags please. As it is I guess I already know something that happens.

Offline Syntax

• Starving Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 03:58:02 PM »
Whoops. Didn't even think about spoilers. Luckily, we didn't give away too much. The really important plot points were not mentioned.

Offline Austadophilus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »
Tales of Symphonia!

Enough said.

Offline Blackbird

• I think this text is getting way too long...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »
Sly Raccoon 2 was the reason why my little brother and I got a Ps2 back then. I think I've finished the game about 20 times by now. :blush:
Spoiler
About, surprisingly, a raccoon who is a the umpteenth generation in a long line of thieves. In the previous game there was something with the monster that killed his parents. This monster had his body replaced by a machine. Now Sly, along with a clever but weak turtle and a strong hippo, has to steal parts of this machine in 8 different worlds.
Reason why it's so good: It's simple, but even if you play it for the third time you will come across different challenges that will trouble you. It has various ways of moving which you can't all master. That along with the funny characters and the plotline just make it enjoyable every time.

Pokémon is also exceptionally important because it gave me the English language... (There's no Dutch version of the Pokémon games, or at least there wasn't until I stopped playing about 3 years ago.)

Best game on simply playing, by far Assassins Creed II. Without a doubt, I love that game. Don't like Ezio, or Desmund, but downright love the game. :D
Spoiler
Assassins Creed is about the previous lives of Desmund Miles who has to delve into this past of assassins to find objects and obtain skills. Part two is in renaissance italy (and yes, the geography in the cities is about right) where Ezio is avenging his families death and becoming a master assassin in the process. Reason why it's so good: Plotline that continues to amaze (although you can also read the book for that), great images, and come on! it's assassin's creed, everyone should know this. What's cooler than killing people with a hidden blade, diving of towers and then disappearing in crowds after killing a platoon of soldiers?
Tomorrow I'll stop running...

Offline Syntax

• Starving Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »
The fact that you learned English from Pokemon is just amazing to me. To think a game like that could incidentally double as a learning tool.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 08:01:55 PM »
That's pretty cool :) I think Pokemon has reached everyone to some extent.

Nice opinion on AC II too although I think Unity will overtake Brotherhood as my favourite of the series when it is released.

Offline Syntax

• Starving Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 08:30:21 PM »
To be entirely honest, AC stopped being interesting after AC II for me. It just got bland after a while, and stopped enjoying the gameplay.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 08:33:49 PM »
AC 4 is pretty fun, but doesn't really feel like AC... Revelations and 3 were poor in my opinion though.

Offline Syntax

• Starving Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 08:37:32 PM »
I played III for all of thirty minutes, so I don't really have an informed opinion on it. Though the thirty minutes I did play were lackluster.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 08:41:29 PM »
The story was ok... but Conor sucked as a main character and I felt no desire to play anything outside of the main story. I could use the weapons I started with the whole game and never needed to upgrade, so never needed to do side missions. They made it feel less like a game and I don't think it helped. The fixed things a bit in 4, if you can get it cheap I recommend it, It's almost like a separate game about pirates and sailing in itself.

Offline Syntax

• Starving Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 08:46:50 PM »
IV feels kind of out of place to me.

Spoiler
I mean, Desmond dies in III, right? It comes right after that kind of shocker? Not cool.

I just kind of stopped caring after Ezio no longer played a part in the story. His games were the main draw for me, and once they finished... Well, how can a character like Connor fill Ezio's shoes?

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 08:51:18 PM »
^ exactly, he doesn't.

Watch the E3 stuff for AC: Unity though, it may sway you.

Offline Syntax

• Starving Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2014, 08:59:01 PM »
I did. Still not really interested. I probably won't be until they decide to leave Eurocentric settings.