March 29, 2024, 08:02:36 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Mahlua's Lair of Drawings n' Stuff  (Read 97590 times)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Re: Mahlua's Lair of Drawings n' Stuff
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2017, 02:14:10 PM »
I use mechanical pencils and there are like no pencil sharpeners around here, and the one I have is junk and likes to break lead instead of sharpen it. I've heard that same thing before, but I honestly have no idea how to fix this. Usually my mechanical pencils work fine, but the sharp end usually tries to cut open a page, so I have to be careful with that. I also hate trying to erase something when the pencil has made such a deep grove into the paper. It never goes away and messes everything up.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline TK-Seki

• Sleep-Deprived Multitasker
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2017, 09:36:34 PM »
Hmm, what grade of pencil lead do you use with your mechanical pencil, Mahlua? You could try using two different grades. An HB (regular) or H lead for your guidelines, and B or 2B for your final lines.

Heads up on using HB and H grades, they're hard types so their lines are very light-- they WILL make grooves and cut into paper when you press down forcefully. That's why they're ideal for just drafting.

Switch your pencil lead to B/2B (I keep two mechanicals for each grade because I'm lazy) once you're ready to finalize everything: details, more defined features and all. These leads are really soft, so they give you darker lines even without pressure. You may even choose to ink them in once you decide not to make any more changes.

:: =What should today's sketch be?= ::
personal projects: Ayakashi Refrain (webtoon)/ Countdown 50 (WN)/ Okazemadoushi-sama, Ganbatte! (WN) || commished manga: 3 || webtoons: 2 || VN: 1 || LN: 1 (art) || Misc: 5 || Commissions pending: 3

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2017, 09:37:55 PM »
I have never seen lead marked by anything other than HB. The only varieties I find are "do you have a .07mm pen or a .05mm?"
Haha signature go brr.

Offline TK-Seki

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2017, 09:41:51 PM »
I have never seen lead marked by anything other than HB. The only varieties I find are "do you have a .07mm pen or a .05mm?"

The mm's are the size of your leads. leads have a case when you buy them, and some of them have their grades already labeled on them. See if they have letters printed on it once you check. Here's a little chart I looked up about the lightness those leads have. The letters under them are their grades. :)

personal projects: Ayakashi Refrain (webtoon)/ Countdown 50 (WN)/ Okazemadoushi-sama, Ganbatte! (WN) || commished manga: 3 || webtoons: 2 || VN: 1 || LN: 1 (art) || Misc: 5 || Commissions pending: 3

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2017, 12:13:33 AM »
If you shop at walmart, you're not likely to find anything other than HB pencils because they standardize those for scantrons.

You'll see these things come up at an actual art store. You could also shop online for unusual or specialized materials.

Offline Crystal (BobbyjoeX)

• o-o
  • no idea what i'm doing anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2017, 12:39:52 AM »
well thats not entirely true.... funny enough i have bought art pencils at a dollar store, depending on the brand tho, you can get really good pencils XD

reason i say this is awesmome is because money doesnt grow on trees, you make do with what you can find

i prefer a 4b pencil, i donno it makes it feel like you can just be sketchy, nothing has to be perfect

Click the Banner to Read

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2017, 12:44:09 AM »
I have known about the different gradients of graphite leads for at least a solid decade, y'know...
Again, the problem is I've never actually gotten lead at a fancy shmancy art store that carries things other than, you know, HB or HB2. That's the issue here, not that I don't know about the grading system of the hardness and softness of lead.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline TK-Seki

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2017, 03:59:07 AM »
My bad, my bad. Now I see why. It's a bit new to me since I can get the leads from 4B to H at any general supplies store. ^^; Limited to that range, though. If I have to look for more specialized stuff --- it's as you say, a fancier art store is likely where you could find them. Which we don't have, too. Haha. I had some of my stuff shipped in from private sellers online.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2017, 02:09:37 AM »
MA
LU
CHAN
WE
NEED
MORE
OF
YOU
AWESOME
DRAWING

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2017, 12:22:42 PM »
Actually lately I've been working on drawing letters. A friend of mine got me into the idea of graffiti style writing, and I figure letters are a good way to do some basic shape work and if I do those comic-book-y POP letters with the 3D, it might work for perspective and stuff. Other than that, I haven't really been doing much of anything.

Update: I did finally get around to posting something on EcchiWorld that I've had drawn for a while, though.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 06:33:22 PM by MahluaandMilk »
Haha signature go brr.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2017, 11:36:38 PM »
Here we go. Since you asked, I went ahead and did the color thing you suggested to someone else (I think it was Vio) a while back. Some of the colors aren't true, since camera phones are utter crap, but I did the thing, and I surprised myself a little, especially with the glass of water. The river could use a little work, and maybe some on the rust, but most everything else looks pretty all right, with the exception of the lava maybe looking too uniform.

Once again, something stupid is going on with my phone sending to Google drive and then uploading those to Photobucket after clipping down the size some. The scale is flipped and rotated for whatever reason, but the point here was more color than proportion anyway. The good news is that this one is more MR-appropriate than the thing I mentioned above.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:05:56 AM by MahluaandMilk »
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2017, 02:09:36 PM »
BRAVOOOO

i ll give you the run down on this, The Primary colors is red yellow blue, but no matter how you put it together you can't make specific color that is "BLACK" "GOLD" "SILVER" "WHITE"

you can use these special 4 color to make object look shiny, for example if you add white to lava,the lava will look shiny,and because lava is so hot that it become heat source,any dark object close to lava will get the light source too,
SO lava is pretty much Black for rock ,2-3 kind of orange and little bit of yellow for heat, white for shiny

same with metal,you could add grey (mix by black and white),and add more white to make it silver and make metal shiny

rusty metal though is a bit tricky. you mix the lava and metal color but cut the "shiny" off (that mean no white
but still have grey)

now the hard part. grey and white not only use for shiny. but object with "transparent" element
(glass,glass of water,clear river)

:O the fact on draw "transparent" object is.....you add black color in it (it ll make sense once you try)

well right now you doing goo enough. keep it up MA-LU-CHAN.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2017, 07:35:42 PM »
Thank you kindly. I think the glass of water looks amazing, personally. The glass itself looks wonky, but this was more a coloring exercise than a drawing shapes one. That aside, yeah, the lava could be a lot brighter, but I think that might also be my phone camera messing up, because it looks much more bright orange on my paper than it does on my screen. As far as the metal goes, normally I'd use my metallic colored pencil as a final layer to bring out more sheen, but I did limit myself to my hard, waxy, totally gross 36 pack of cheap colored pencils. I considered it a challenge, as if to tell myself, "Well, if you can do good work with poor quality materials, you're probably in the clear."

Maybe I'll try again sometime with my Prismacolors.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2017, 07:04:13 PM »
You`re working on materials? Damn, respect Mahlua. And I loved the chairs for some reason. If you`re not careful you`ll end up becoming a legit art hermit who studies things across the board and levels up at ridiculous rates. Keep at it!

I`d seriously rage quit at the mere thought of trying to draw water.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2017, 07:23:17 PM »
I`d seriously rage quit at the mere thought of trying to draw water.

Lol, up your game. Glass is the real b----. (To be fair, though, I had some trouble with water. Bleh. Good thing I've been using colored pencil for years and have gotten used to layering them.)

But yeah, I just figured I'd give something new a try. I'm glad someone likes the chairs, too. Maybe they look weird to me because I've seen them in person and they're a weird design. Anyway, over the next week, I might indeed become an art hermit if I don't go party because summer session one is over. Totally not procrastinating my finals tomorrow right now, by the way :sure:
Haha signature go brr.