March 29, 2024, 01:00:19 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Mahlua's Lair of Drawings n' Stuff  (Read 97581 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Mahlua's Lair of Drawings n' Stuff
« Reply #300 on: January 14, 2018, 04:45:10 PM »
Damn, she looks like a cat with attitude and I dig that much. Tigerfox with reptile. Haha that's really only a concept you've gotta see to believe. It worked out quite well methinks. The thick line art makes it easier to look at. If you're going to polish go ahead, but I like the pose outfit and expression for sure.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 14, 2018, 05:01:27 PM »
@Ovium Woah, and here I liked your art a lot and started examining it for things to learn.

To answer your questions, I do like to do a rough sketch layer, and then overlay another sketch layer that's slightly higher opacity that's a little more clean in another color, then I use the slightly cleaner sketch for working on lineart. Most final details I add in lineart, like the seamlines on her pants leg, her claws, and her scales.

For references, I typically look up the animal I'm basing the design on and draw a page full of heads from photo reference. Things like National Geographic and such provide some really nice photography, sometimes with very expressive creatures. It generally takes me at least one full page of heads (typically about a dozen experiments) to get down some of the major proportions in a way that I can apply to original work. Digitigrade legs took a while to understand, but I picked up from a source somewhere that the "extra joint" is more like the human ankle in terms of bone structure, so it helps to think of the animals as walking on the balls of their feet if they are digitigrade. Unguligrade is a step up and usually seen on say, horses, and that's like they're walking on their very tippy-tip toes. There are some animals (such as rabits) that are plantigrade, like humans.

Personally, I find anthro characters a little easier to work with because there's so much about their anatomy that you can exaggerate and work with, whereas with humans, proportions are far more rigid and solidly defined. The variety helps cover for a lot. Besides that, I have a bit of a weakness in drawing human elbows, so when I draw them in anthro, I just throw a tuft of fur there and it's totally fine.

Hope that helps a little, if you're ever interested in working on anthro character designs yourself.

---
@Lego: yes. Much attitude. Her formal occupation is actually stripping, so I hope it carries well. What I'm probably going to do is lay down some quick flat colors and see if the face still bothers me. If it does, then I'll do some minor changes. I think the line width variety is what's getting me--and that it's hard to tell the volume of her face without some of those stripes to imply curves.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 14, 2018, 05:10:34 PM »
Did you just say... Stripping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbQgXeY_zi4

Well I can't help you there as my art has so many times shown. But there are some nifty things you can do with a line tool and eraser.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 14, 2018, 06:13:07 PM »
Yeah, I kinda figured that music video was gonna pop up here sooner or later.

I'll have to take all kinds of things into consideration, especially the weight of different muscles and body parts as for how they fall when upside down and stuff. It's going to be a challenge, but probably a good one to go through.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 14, 2018, 08:00:18 PM »
Whoops double post in a day but ayo I finished Octavia's reference sheet, including a full body shot and some sketches along the side to explain some of the slightly harder to see details.

Octavia
Complete

Haha signature go brr.

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 14, 2018, 08:39:34 PM »
The fact the she's a stripper makes this picture even more interesting. The face does look a little odd to me though, but overall it still looks good to me!
Messatsu...

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 14, 2018, 08:46:27 PM »
Yeah, her face still looks pretty flat to me. :-\

Glad you enjoy the rest! I hope at some point to be good enough to draw her at work, although that lot would wind up at our lovely sister-site there in my description.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 14, 2018, 09:21:24 PM »
Speaking of that site, I've been lurking on there for a little while now. You definitely have some "interesting" artwork brewing over there to the say the least. ;)

I've been meaning to make an account for awhile, but even though I want to, there's this part of me that's kinda like  "Can I really get into this?" If you get what I mean.

Messatsu...

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 14, 2018, 09:22:42 PM »
No harm done if you sit around and chat if you don't produce any content. What do you think I did over there for like a solid year lmao. I'm amazed the place has been as active as it has lately to be perfectly honest.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 24, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »
Oh hey look school is kicking me in the ribs but I finished another of the tarot things and forgot to take any pictures of the process. Yay for cruddy phone cam and lack of effort coming out looking...okay actually. :noidea:

the Empress
bluh

I just wish my red markers were "hot" reds instead of always being "cold" reds like this one. Why do cold reds even exist? They're weird to try to work with unless you're only using it for shading and blending.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 25, 2018, 08:53:11 PM »
Yaaaaasssssss! More Tarot art!

Another nice one Lua! I'm liking the design. Some of the fingers do look a tad bit long, I guess. Nothing major. The colors in the background also adds a nice touch.
Messatsu...

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 26, 2018, 03:25:37 AM »
Ocatvia looks cool! Nice poses

Facebook       Patreon

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 26, 2018, 06:57:57 AM »
You're doing tarot cards?! Haha that's perfect Mahlua. Way too damn fitting especially with what you get up to. For some reason I'm getting an old school cartoon vibe from this. She almost reminds me of Velma from Scooby Doo haha. *Synthmusic starts playing in the background.

Ye say lazy, I say 'energies depleted elsewhere'.

Nicely done Mahlua!

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 26, 2018, 01:35:34 PM »
Thank ye, guys. I'll be at Anthro Crossroads East (a small, upcoming furry/anthro convention in North Carolina) this weekend, so I may be doing a little bit of art stuff there. I hope to finish my friend tarot stuff by the end of the semester so I can give one to everyone before some of them like, leave school or graduate or something. Definitely be on the lookout for that and yell at me if I don't hop to it.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 26, 2018, 02:52:37 PM »
Noice. A deadline. As for motivation think only upon the eternal shame of not living up to your own promise *darkness intensifies*

Ahem, but yes. Keep at it