October 18, 2019, 06:57:44 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: How do I know if I'm Giving my characters diversity  (Read 350 times)

Offline Palmetto730

• View Profile
How do I know if I'm Giving my characters diversity
« on: June 21, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »
I've been a little confused about what a reviewer said about fleshing out The characters to a another person's story. i would like to know what that means, if it's okay

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: How do I know if I'm Giving my characters diversity
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 01:27:57 PM »
You would have to ask the reviewer themselves what they meant, but I think it means make your characters stand out and not be too similar. A simple way of doing this is checking how they talk, if you remove the narrative descriptions of 'he said' or 'she says' are you able to tell who is speaking just by seeing the words they say?  What about the characters themselves, how many have different ideologies against eachother? How many are following the same goals?

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: How do I know if I'm Giving my characters diversity
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 01:09:02 AM »
A lot of character diversity comes from their personas if you will, and their archetypal roles. Did you write a hero who has five lancers around but no one else? well then you have a problem. Characters should each fill a different role in the story. Not to say that it's not bad to have a couple of doubles (this will happen when you have lots of characters), but make sure that it's not happening to often.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF