December 05, 2022, 12:47:59 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Political Compass  (Read 2194 times)

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
Re: Political Compass
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 11:41:29 PM »
We may just have a difference in opinion, and that's okay. But really, you're getting down to semantics at this point. I think the point of the question was to ask whether or not a woman's first duty is to be a mother and homemaker. The question assumes that women should be mothers in the first place. It's a good question, because it make you think. Being a mother means you have a child. You have a duty to care for your children, we all do. But "homemaker" and "mother" are not the same. Homemakers stay home and give up careers for their children. There's nothing wrong with doing that, but it should not be considered an obligation. It's not a "duty" to be a homemaker. And I won't start on how sexist it is to expect the mother to do that in the first place.
We may just have a difference in opinion, and that's okay. But really, you're getting down to semantics at this point. I think the point of the question was to ask whether or not a woman's first duty is to be a mother and homemaker. The question assumes that women should be mothers in the first place. It's a good question, because it make you think. Being a mother means you have a child. You have a duty to care for your children, we all do. But "homemaker" and "mother" are not the same. Homemakers stay home and give up careers for their children. There's nothing wrong with doing that, but it should not be considered an obligation. It's not a "duty" to be a homemaker. And I won't start on how sexist it is to expect the mother to do that in the first place.
"Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers." The question itself allows for the possibility of having a career (and assumes that the responsibility belongs to those who are mothers, not necessarily all women), so it doesn't look like being a "homemaker" and having a career are mutually exclusive according to the question, so I assumed homemaking simply meant taking care of children (which includes cooking and cleaning, despite irrelevant and arbitrary connections to previous decades of the 20th century) and that does take priority over a career, albeit doesn't diminish the importance of one to those who want one.

But, in the first place, the questions are very caricature-ish so you could be entirely correct. I've never met anyone who would openly admit that their race is superior to another's and it's bizarre that it's even a question.

Offline Syntax

• Starving Artist
  • My cardboard box is nice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 02:00:00 AM »
Well, Merriam-Webster defines a "homemaker" as "a wife who does work (such as sewing, cleaning, or cooking) at home and usually does not have another job outside the home." Now, that's the dictionary definition, so I now it can be more complicated than that. But as it states, my understanding has always been that homemakers generally do not have careers or jobs. Of course, that "usually does not" correlates to the "may" in the question, so there's that. But I personally take issue with the fact agreeing with the question carries the connotation that one supports the notion a mother's primary duty is to stay home with the kids. I just don't think that's true. A parent's primary duty is to provide for their family, not necessarily stay home with them. Specifically being a homemaker is in no way the highest obligation of a mother. Which is what the question is asking.

But my biggest issue is with the sexism in the question. The assumption that a mother must be the one to do this.

Offline GingerStark

• Social & Political Scientist
  • There is no single truth, only contingent theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 08:58:57 AM »
Wooo Politics! The only lesson in college where arguing doesn't get you punished  :sleep:

Personally I wouldn't mind being a house-husband, staying at home whilst looking after a baby sounds cool, I'd just watch anime with it all day  :tongue:

But on that note, more families nowadays are having both parents working because of the need for money. Also couples are getting married a lot older now due to the cost of affording a home and children. In Japan more than half of the adult population hasn't been in any form of a relationship which is leading to a population decrease. Considering how over-crowding is becoming a problem in the near future, I'm all for that  :thumbsup:

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »
We probably just disagree over the meaning of the question, then. Both father and mother have a responsibility to take care of their children before their careers. I didn't infer exclusion of the father's role.

Offline Syntax

• Starving Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
We probably just disagree over the meaning of the question, then. Both father and mother have a responsibility to take care of their children before their careers. I didn't infer exclusion of the father's role.

Most likely. I'm not so much arguing with you as I am with what it means to agree with the question, though it's not really arguing. More like debating.

I dunno, I don't have anything against people who stay home with the kids all day, but I don't even know if I'm ready for the time it takes to raise one. I have things I want to do in life, and a child gets in the way of that. Kids are great, but I've always been wary of everything they cost a person.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 05:39:09 PM »
Yeah, I know the feeling somewhat. They consume time, energy, and resources. But then again, so does writing manga. I suppose it depends on how rewarding the experience seems to be. If you have high ambitions, it's better to be able to do what you love before having a family and even, sometimes, a significant other. They take a lot of time, energy, and resources too.

Offline Syntax

• Starving Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 05:45:17 PM »
True. What's rewarding for me isn't the same for everyone. Personally, I feel great when I finish a chapter or get a new idea. But that's me. I'm just not at a point in my life where I need to start a family to be happy.