December 07, 2019, 12:54:15 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Black Friday: 2nd Annual One-Day-One-Shot  (Read 158 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Black Friday: 2nd Annual One-Day-One-Shot
« on: November 26, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »
It's that time of year again people! If you weren't around last year, here's the premise: Take a single day (be it actual black Friday if you're American (this Friday, btdubs) or this Saturday if you're from literally everywhere else, to conceive, write, edit, and post a story right here in this very topic! The rules continue to be simple:

The story must be:
  • Self-contained
  • At least 1000 words long
  • Written within 24 hours

Like last year, I will be on the front lines with you (I'm gunning for a 10,000 word short story so I also qualify for that milestone for Operative's nanowrimo topic), but as stated above you only need 1000 for this challenge. Since all stories should be short, I want to encourage everyone to also throw some critiques out there! But remember this is ultimately just for the love of the game and to get people writing as we slide into the long holiday morass. Gotta keep our minds sharp!

Good luck and happy writing!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Black Friday: 2nd Annual One-Day-One-Shot
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 10:34:35 AM »
I must, unfortunately, admit defeat here. I am 6100 words deep,  I have an average speed of about 1000 words and hour, and only 3 hours until my 24 hour deadline. You can see how the math does not work out in my favor. Nevertheless! I will be finishing his dang darn story today, so keep an eye out for anyone interested in seeing what my adled mind has come up with on such short notice.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 11:46:06 AM »
awesome news. A failure can still be a success depending on how you look at it. So missing a deadline but still getting a short story? that's a win in my books :)
One of these days I'll be trying to do a one-shot manga in a single day haha.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 12:54:11 PM »
It's really an interesting task. I'm coming up with some really good ideas thanks to the pressure, but I know I'm not executing them as well as I could because there is both the constant pressure to push forward, and the constant need to draw things out so I can boost up my word count. There's a reason I put the requirement for entry at only 1000 words, haha. 10,000 is doable if you have a full day of free time, less so if you don't.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 01:18:05 PM »
Yes it's hard to get a polished idea in a short space of time but you can certainly get a lot of nice ideas.

I've always wondered if you could sort of "sketch" a story, in that you write a huge amount but it still maybe needs a lot of work. Not like a draft although that's sort of the same thing....I don't know really.
The way I look at it it, in terms of productivity, some sort of parallel processing is my ideal goal, being able to produce output while focusing on creating the next set of output - i.e. typing a sentence while thinking of your next one, that is, being able to continuously write at your top typing speed.
I generally average 70 wpm for casual fast input, so that gives a theoretical max of 4200 words per hour, no breaks. But it will obviously always be wayyyyy less because of thinking and editing. no-one is perfect, but it should be possible to reduce the time spent on ONLY editing or ONLY thinking, to think on the go while typing.
I have managed to do this in art but it's super tiring, I can only do it for about 1 minute because it feels like I'm panicking. But it's a nice theory.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 01:40:18 PM »
Well, as far as words per minute goes, I'm really at a disadvantage here since I'm writing exclusively with my phone. But like you talked about, at this speed I have a lot more time to think about what I'm going to say next, so the actual writing comes out smoothly paced. I've definitely hit top speed of writing using a mouse and keyboard, but those are the rare moments of true true inspiration where the words just flow. I can definitely hit a strong output without that kind of divine boost, but not in the same way.

In terms of a 'sketch but for writing', I've seen something similar to that in terms of script writing. The writer might drop in something like "fight scene here", and just blank out a whole page for the action (a page of script being analogous to a minute of screen time). But if you want to get more granular, you could have sentences like "A swings their axe.", "B catches it by the handle and punches A in the gut while they're open."

Basically, boil down what's happening to the bare essentials, so that you can go back and flesh things out later. You wouldn't be making something really interesting to read at first brush, but the bones would be there so you can paint on the flowers later. Not sure if that's getting where you want it to be, but that's my take on it. Personally I don't think I could write that way. If I'm not thinking of the whole picture from the very beginning, I'm afraid I'd lose sight of my original intent with a scene. But to each their own. Obviously you started your journey as an artist, so it probably makes a lot more sense to break it down this way.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 02:29:33 PM »
Ahhh that makes a lot of sense. I think a script style would be perfect for getting ideas down. In terms of writing, I dont know if I will ever get to a novel level, or stop at manga scripts, since I am indeed an artist first and foremost. I probably want to mix drawings in with my writing to get the ideas down in the best way for me to create a manga/novel based off it.

So rather than being polished as a written piece, it contains all the information. Like describing a place, "marketplace, lots of people, colourful , rowdy. pods everywhere on trainlines", rather than saying "As the city swept into view, Michael was overwhelmed by the view - a kaleidoscope of colourful market stalls..." etc.

That's probably definitely the style I would take. That way I can crash through a larger amount of storyline and plan major and minor events, and polish it all afterwards if need be. awesome.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 05:29:52 PM »
Yeah, script style really seems to fit what you're looking for. But you know, you can still claim a script as writing, so don't let that stop you from posting things like scripts if you do complete one.

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 09:25:30 PM »
So last year when this first started I actually worked on a story, but never got around to finishing it. I crashed and burned around 400 words or so. This year however, I think it's only right that I at least try and finish the damn thing. Not sure if this is against the rules or not though, since it's something that's already been started.

I probably won't finish within the 24 hour margin, but at the very least I wanna give this challenge an honest shot. Wrote around 900 words in the past hour and a half, which isn't bad for me so far considering my usual output is much less.
Messatsu...

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 12:59:11 AM »
This thing is much more an incentive to get people writing one shots than it is getting them to actually finish let the rules, so have at it Fro! I don't want to see anyone quiting just because they don't hit the official deadline! Use it as a lesson for next year's!

Speaking of lessons for next year, I'm done with mine! I screwed up the 24 hour thing to be sure, but I still got my 10,000 word story in/for November! 10,249 to be exact! I'll post the up tomorrow I hope, and will probably provide an updated and edited version all on its own later in the week (for reasons that will become apparent later). But for now I'm just happy to be done!

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 02:41:42 AM »
@coryn oh totally if I write something I'll post it probably haha

@fro go for it! a deadline can be a nice bit of pressure to get something finished :P

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 09:05:44 AM »
No probably post! Do post! No writing is too bad or too boring!

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 07:07:54 PM »
I should consider doing this one after the conclusion of the Nano workshop  :hmm: I was afflicted by the accursed winter season cold for the past few weeks, so I basically been spending the month curled up in a bed for who knows how long. :sick:
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Today at 12:34:51 PM »
Ugh! That sucks Operative. But I do definitely encourage you to hop into this once your nano thing is all wrapped up! It's fun to theme it on a specific day, but any day will do!