August 20, 2019, 02:19:34 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: A Guide for Creating Synopsis?  (Read 690 times)

Offline Vio

• Listed in the MR blacklist
    • View Profile
A Guide for Creating Synopsis?
« on: April 06, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »
I am currently making synopses for some of my stories and looking for guidelines and tips. However, I could not find such a topic on Manga Writers Workshop. If I happen to miss it, please feel free to delete this message.

Synopsis - a brief summary (In my case, describing my stories to potential readers)

So, I would like to ask the fine community of MR for help. What are the critical steps to make an eye-catch, mind intriguing, synopsis that grips potential readers' interest? Any advice would be grateful.  ;D

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:25:27 PM by Vio »

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: A Guide for Creating Synopsis?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »
I don't know the right way to go about it, but you've got to write it like a used-car salesman. Use exageratted phony sounding words, and yet be brief and get to the point. That's at least how I see it.

For thing like Synopses you should just see how it's done on websites like Myanimelist, or just on the back of famous book covers. See how the pros do it.

But always remember the bottom line is that the story must be interesting

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »
I'll be honest, I've always though synopsis's were kinda pointless. I guess they have their place, but i've always watched/read something based on what I've heard about it from other people, and not what a paragraph or two has to say about a story.

Any rate, I guess a few good tips would to be: Not give away the plot past the first chapter/episode/what have you.

Only give the very base of the universe. They say that you should be able to describe your story in a single sentence. This is essentially your thesis statement. Know what you're about.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 04:33:40 PM »
Only share what the first 2 chapters are about.

you dont have to share the entire concept but just enough to let the readers know where the story is heading.

write in a way where readers know what.type of story you are writing. if its serious or comedic.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.