March 29, 2024, 01:24:58 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: MR Visual Novels  (Read 171938 times)

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
Re: MR Visual Novels
« Reply #1065 on: November 20, 2018, 02:25:59 PM »
Discord would work for me.

I'm not sure what the original design is tbh. I did a sketch before based on my imagination with a few tips from the MR Canon Guide - it has some description of her in there further down in the Character doc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a-zggqbXTX384549SQGCpj1imlgxlOwkGhLM7zQOCSM/edit

No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: November 20, 2018, 02:39:33 PM »
The Canon needs a wiki, I just thought.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: November 20, 2018, 06:44:22 PM »
@Dev: Okay, glad you got the guide found.

@Echo: I mean, Echo, your sketch basically got her design spot on in one (as far as my mental image goes), so no worries there!

As far as MR-tan, what we have works, but it was just a convenient placeholder. Best we get her into uniform at some point. But I'll leave the details between you and Dev.

@ Suuper:

1. I'd go with the last option. Have two on the screen max, take off whoever spoke the longest ago when someone new speaks.

2. It was just a game over at one point, and the detention is just a way of expressing that. But if you want to make a joke for the loop, that's good too.

3. Yeah, don't go crazy. What we have works, so only worry about it if you find the time.

And a discord sounds good to me.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: November 21, 2018, 09:51:02 AM »
1) gotcha
2) gotcha
3) gotcha

OK that's all good.
why is this still a pub topic lol

edit with todays work

Spoiler
2018-11-21
Code
Henshin scene18 the player looks right to litt and MRtan, I made it look like they are there, and then the player looks back to Raid. the timing and positioning felt strange, but I think it looks like it was meant to look now.
Large errors up to henshin scene 18 fixed.
Script
Henshin scene 18 "You know you kids should be sneaking around school grounds after class like this! Especially these old tunnels, they can be awfully dangerous to a bunch of youths such as yourselves!"
Changed to “shouldn’t be sneaking around”
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 04:16:37 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: November 21, 2018, 08:17:51 PM »
Glad to see this still thing has legs. Keep it alive boyz! 
Messatsu...

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: November 23, 2018, 04:04:07 PM »
yup.
here's todays work. a little more and I'll have cleared all the large errors out the way for the whole script. there weren't that many to be honest, and I have probably made just as many as I trawled through, but hey that's what beta testers are for :P

Spoiler
2018-11-23

Code
Fixed henshin scene 20 looking away from nair and back.
Small dialog timing issues fixed
Henshin scene 24 added litt’s expression in where it fitted the dialog
Henshin scene 26 fixed the tilt shake when kage appears. Hopefully that’s more what it’s meant to look like. Fixed the backgrounds changing quickly when stalking echo
Fixed henshin scene 27 timepass with characters flickering
Shifted the first part of henshin scene 29 to the end of the fake credits since they are in relation to that and not the following scene.
Henshin scene29 worked out a nice method for dealing with multiple characters. Still improving
Cleared up to henshin scene 28 for large errors.

Misc
Trimmed the discscratch sounds so it plays when the music stops in the fake credits, not half a second after, which felt strange.

I'm still trying to get that custom movement working. I've narrowed down the problem to one line of code, in fact I know what it is exactly, I just don't know enough to fix it yet >_<

EDIT I am a genius and I fixed the move problem with legitimate hacking. turns out like many programs, the software has all of its common functions written in code, inside it's own program files, not the game files. So I had a glance in the file and copied and pasted the code for the normal slide-in movement, and changed the value to make it faster. muahahaha
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 04:22:50 PM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: November 24, 2018, 07:56:32 AM »
So many updates makes a man smile.

Also what the hell!? I'd never mess with such stuff hahaha. Props suuper!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: November 24, 2018, 08:08:56 AM »
it's one of those nice things about open source, that a lot more code is visible than a normal program. I get the feeling I'll learn a lot more from just skimming that code than the official website itself haha.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: November 24, 2018, 08:11:48 AM »
The official website brought me to despair so many times. It just wasn't transparent enough. I actually learnt better from the example games than that wiki. And the whole newscript oldscript style thing I still never quite understood. renp'y y u b like that?

Also gotta say, finding typos is harder than you'd think. My eyes got crossed when I was on the chair and I couldn't be bothered and only focused on the code haha. Also, updating the topic post with you as the programmer. I keep on forgetting Litt got the ball rolling for this.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: November 24, 2018, 08:22:29 AM »
yeah I only just yesterday realized there was this old-new script thing going on and I was just nope.nope.nope.
the website is very difficult to find what you want, and even when you find it, it's not too helpful, but often gives a pointer if you're lucky enough to stumble on the right page, yeah example games have been the most help, even the MR game so far has given me most of what I know haha

code typos are the bane of any programmer, especially when you have MiXeDcAsE typos as well
script typos are almost impossible to notice and I've given up for the first round. I've got a separate checklist for that later to do on its own, along with checking the character expressions are right, the music and sounds are good etc. better to check one thing at a time otherwise you'll miss everything. I might enlist some extra hands for near-final testing because when you get used to it, you stop seeing problems :P

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: November 24, 2018, 09:37:54 AM »
Well, I'll definitely get back to checking script issues once I have some sort of working PC again. Of course I already went through script as things we're produced the first time around, so it should be in pretty good shape, at least up to where Lego last posted an update.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: November 24, 2018, 04:35:27 PM »
Well the typos are very few and far between now, so I'm sure we'll weed out the remaining stragglers sooner or later :P

todays work: for thos of you not yet on the discord chat, I've finished the initial checks and fixes on the game, so you can download it from the google drive folder and play it (as long as you have the renpy software)(see first post)

Spoiler
2018-11-24
Code
Developed a method for swapping out characters when dealing with 3+ characters in a scene and someone off-screen speaks. The speed can be controlled. Tested in henshinscene29 with 4 characters. sounds cooler than it actually is.
Cleared all code in the henshinscenes, and all code so far in the game.

Script
Henshin scene 32 "Are you kidding me?! Their evenly matched!"
Changed to “they’re”

Misc
Added chuuro’s sketch image as a placeholder
Added’ fro’s new sketch image to test if the scarf stuck out too much.
Uploaded current version (should be no major errors)

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: November 24, 2018, 06:59:34 PM »
The "their" error is the worse of them all. Thank you for this service.

Wait that character switching thing sounds cool, because it always bothered me how sphagetti everything got with characters talking with all their different expressions. What did you do? I really need to update my version and play through it.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: November 24, 2018, 07:27:18 PM »
i posted a video of how it works on discord, you on that?
the only scene I applied the idea to was henshinscene29, the party scene. I probably should have tried it on an earlier scene but there I was. at the moment, its more how they enter and exit the screen, but it'll look great with the expressions added too.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 24, 2018, 10:44:25 PM »
Nope. Not in that discord. I won't be contributing anymore to the VN methinks therefore theres no point, so I'll chill here with my pina colada and watch the fireworks. I'll be looking forward to playtesting the updates for sure though, and for sure the final product as well!