April 17, 2024, 10:36:13 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: MR Visual Novels  (Read 173410 times)

Offline LittRL

• Crush the strong, crush the weak.
  • Nothing a little duct tape can't fix.
    • View Profile
MR Visual Novels
« on: March 31, 2014, 05:15:04 AM »
Hey guys, I found a program that makes making visual novels (relatively) easy.

http://www.renpy.org/

It has a tutorial built-in and anything you aren't clear on can easily be found online. I remembered talk of MR games and specifically an MR visual novel/dating sim a while back and figured why not go ahead and try? To be totally honest this is just for fun and nothing is official so nobody freak out about this. Just a toy to play with in the dull hours of the day.

I don't plan on organizing anything since I'm a terrible leader with no productive abilities but anyone who wants to make that oh-so-desired MR VN this is a good program to get started.

I'm gonna play around with the program myself to how to use it properly and maybe share anything I manage to make. I encourage everyone else to do the same. Hell, this could be a new way for the writers and artists to tell their stories on MR.

*Dreams*

CALLING TO ALL RAIDERS:
We are still accepting and hoping for more community participation in this project to make it more of an MR production. We currently already have a writer (Coryn) and a programmer (Me) which don't need any assistance but things such as art, music, and whatever else you can think of are an area we would gladly accept help with. If you are interested in lending a hand to the cause feel free to post in this topic claiming so.

Update:
Below is the Google Drive folder with the most current version of the game. Feel free to test it out and share you opinions and ideas on the project.

I, Legomaestro have taken over the programming for now. The latest link to the game will be here.
Drive Folder

EDIT#2

suuper-san is now in the pilot seat for programming. For all updates look to him and stay tuned!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 08:12:34 AM by legomaestro »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: MR Visual Novels
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
Oh man, I would totally write the most off the wall, high school, 4th wall breakiest, MR universe, slice of life ever for this.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline LittRL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:53:33 AM »
Do it.

Maybe we should aim to each create part of the MR canon in VN form. I've been playing with this a little bit now and it's actually pretty easy. All you have to do is google the code you don't know and paste it in.

Also, now I'm interested in a group project for this. Been having fun doing this but lacking in MR related visuals for the novel.

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 09:14:13 AM »
This looks great. I am currently writing my earthbound oneshot and this looks like it will help greatly. Some weird dude bows down and receives link "Arigato" :biggrin:

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 12:17:46 PM »
Do it.

I'm doin' it.

PROTAGONIST:

It's you. You're the one. Guy or Girl? Tough or squeamish? You're a blank slate friend, go at it!

You're name is *blank* and starting today you're going to be a high school student at Raider Academy! You have *insane color* hair and live all by yourself because your parents are constantly overseas! Also you're going to be late. Shove a loaf of bread in your mouth and get going! Don't forget your uniform! Nobody wants to see you show up to class naked, this isn't that kind of VN!

STAFF:

Corynbot 3.0 - School Principle. You're pretty sure he only got the job because he is REALLY enthusiastic about doing the announcements.

Hasith - Computers and Technology Teacher. He's pretty quiet and reserved, and openly flaunts school dress code by wearing a headband. Rumor has it he also keeps getting caught installing cameras in the girl's locker room.

Corycaly - Foreign Language Teacher. For some reason she only teaches French. You've seen her staring longingly at male students before. She assures you it's just some "harmless yaoi shipping".

Coryn Sken - English Teacher. He seems to know what he's talking about. But he spends less time teaching English and more time handing out life lessons or giving lectures on theoretical physics. You're convinced he really wanted to teach science, and still hasn't stopped trying.

Legomaestro - Art Teacher. A small group of people in the art world seem convinced that his sketchy style makes him a genius of modern art. The other 99% thinks he's a hack. Still, it was enough to get him hired. You're still up in the air about it. He keeps the art room full of cats.

Nairbons - Gym Teacher/Wrestling Coach. He seems very enthusiastic about his job. Even though you almost never see his face thanks to the mask he's always wearing. Sometimes he screams at you in German. You're not sure what that's all about.

THE STUDENT COUNCIL:

They're the most popular kids in school. And for once you can't actually find anyone who hates them for it. You still can't figure out why they call themselves The Tans though, or why they all have such weird names. You think it might be some sort of in joke.

MR-tan - Student Body President. She runs a tight ship. Few things ever go wrong on her watch, and when they do, she acts like it was all apart of the plan. She's nice enough to everyone, but spends a lot of time around the staff. Rumors about, but nothing much can ever be confirmed.

Ecchi-tan & Lewd-tan - Athletic and Disciplinary Chair respectively. These two sisters are practically one unit, and while rumors may circulate around their president, these two are surrounded by something more closely resembling thinly veiled facts. There's probably not much said about them that isn't true. Though Lewd-tan does seem to be the one who instigates most of it. You're still not sure whether you believe that they actually stole the entire boy's locker room though.

Writer-tan -  Treasurer. She's calculating and somewhat cold, but she has the best mind for money of anyone that you've ever met. You're not sure if there's a dollar that flows into the school that doesn't move through her hands, student related or otherwise. She seems harmless enough though, and you're just glad she hasn't moved into crime yet.

STUDENTS:

Jack Melancholy - Despite his name, he's quite the sporadic type. He makes a name by being weird, and won't let anyone challenge his title of "King Weird", though people aren't exactly lining up to prove him otherwise. He does have a bit of an obsession with death though, and was once suspended for trying to bring a scythe to class with him.

Loren - Officially: Debate Club President. Unofficially: Queen of the Debate Club. She has a way all her own, and love it or hate it, you cant argue with results. National champions three years running speaks for itself.

Litt - Sort of nerdy though it's hard to tell since he tends zone out and stare into space. He tells people he's watching the wind so you can usually find him alone with his face to a window somewhere . Always hums a tune that you can't put your finger on and he refuses to tell you. Pretty cool guy if you get to know him though.

Tof - You think he might be foreign because of the name. You can't be sure though thanks to the clown mask he wears every day. You're beginning to wonder why this school has a dresscode to begin with. He also has a weird doll named Dolly that he cradles. You're not sure what's up with that.

Adam Masterman - He's got a cool name, like an action hero or something. He's a pretty good artist too.

Ginger Joy - He's very British. You've had some of his tea and you're not sure what the big deal is. Maybe it's an acquired taste? Either way, he fancies himself as a writer, and pays more attention in English class than most other students. Though he isn't very thrilled with one of Coryn's recurring lectures: "The English Accent and Why the Queen Sits on a Throne of Lies."

Hikari - Also British. Though apparently from a different part of Britain. Apparently for such a small country a little change of geography is a big deal. Who knew? Ginger refers to him as "a northorner."

Vacant - The third of the British exchange students. Usually seen around the other two. They seem to have a sort of bond from being from the same rainy island. Often talks with strange words that he assures you are types of food. You suspect he's making it up.

Nabe Man - He's some form of Caribbean Islander. You think that it would be really cool to live on a tropical island. He assures you it isn't all it's cracked up to be. You say you guess. You lie. He self styles himself as a sort of college hippie.

Kage Pen - Very vocal. Rather bright eyed about the world. Lot's of big dreams, though you wonder how he's going to achieve them all.

Fronomeal - Man this guy loves his hair. He keeps that afro groomed to perfection. He's also president of the Fighter's Club. A shady underground school club which you're pretty sure the teachers don't know about. They say he fights entirely with his fro, but that seems a bit far fetched.

Alright that's the list of people off the top of my head. If you want in or out. Say something. If you want to edit your very brief description so I can get a better sense for your personality (you may notice that I don't have some of you really down yet) say something.

If you want to help make this thing. Say something. Seriously If it's just me I'll only end up with a script and nothing else. I'm no good at art stuff.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:58:52 PM by Coryn »

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »
Niiiice

Sounds like a plan

Offline LittRL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 12:34:18 PM »
@Coryn: I'm really just coding as well so I can't help you out with the art. Though wouldn't it be cool if some of these VNs had voices? Just a thought.
Also I'd like to add a little flavor to my desc.

Litt - Sort of nerdy though it's hard to tell since he tends zone out and stare into space. He tells people he's watching the wind so you can usually find him alone with his face to a window somewhere . Always hums a tune that you can't put your finger on and he refuses to tell you. Pretty cool guy if you get to know him though.

I plan to drop my files here by the way. You need to upload them somewhere to share and I figure a publicly available Google Drive folder will do. Nothing's in it yet but I'm gonna throw in a super rough prototype intro VN soon.
Google Drive

EDIT: Just updated it. There's a short introduction to MR in there. It's all just used for a test and by no means an accurate representation of MR, MR City, or any of the characters within.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:46:15 PM by LittRL »

Offline Jack Melancholy

• That one guy from that one place you heard of that one time.
  • This is my personal text. IT'S MINE AND MINE ALONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 04:18:14 PM »
YOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo~
VNs. Hecky yes. I'd possibly be willing to help with the art, but I suck at some things so it won't be like a full on pro's stuff. Maybe we should message Zoueru about this. Don't know if he'd jump on board or not, but worth a shot I guess.

(Side note: 4chan's Katawa Shoujo was made with Renpy and was pretty sweet.)

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »
I think he only does commissions, but yeah, if somebody wants to give him a shout. Wouldn't hurt as long as we're sincere about it.

Alright, more characters:

THE STUDENT COUNCIL:

They're the most popular kids in school. And for once you can't actually find anyone who hates them for it. You still can't figure out why they call themselves The Tans though, or why they all have such weird names. You think it might be some sort of in joke.

MR-tan - Student Body President. She runs a tight ship. Few things ever go wrong on her watch, and when they do, she acts like it was all apart of the plan. She's nice enough to everyone, but spends a lot of time around the staff. Rumors about, but nothing much can ever be confirmed.

Ecchi-tan & Lewd-tan - Athletic and Disciplinary Chair respectively. These two sisters are practically one unit, and while rumors may circulate around their president, these two are surrounded by something more closely resembling thinly veiled facts. There's probably not much said about them that isn't true. Though Lewd-tan does seem to be the one who instigates most of it. You're still not sure whether you believe that they actually stole the entire boy's locker room though.

Writer-tan -  Treasurer. She's calculating and somewhat cold, but she has the best mind for money of anyone that you've ever met. You're not sure if there's a dollar that flows into the school that doesn't move through her hands, student related or otherwise. She seems harmless enough though, and you're just glad she hasn't moved into crime yet.

STUDENTS:

Jack Melancholy - Despite his name, he's quite the sporadic type. He makes a name by being weird, and won't let anyone challenge his title of "King Weird", though people aren't exactly lining up to prove him otherwise. He does have a bit of an obsession with death though, and was once suspended for trying to bring a scythe to class with him.

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 05:19:31 PM »
I'm cool with being in but I don't know how I could help out.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 05:21:51 PM »
Well, these things aren't too complicated I suppose. Especially with the help of a creator. We just need someone who knows how to use the maker, someone to do art, which is just character sprites and backgrounds, plus someone to write. So really we don't need too many people working on this anyways. so don't sweat it.

Offline LittRL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »
If you aren't too picky you can always find a abundant amount of backgrounds online suited for VNs. Especially when we're talking about school and classroom settings.

Don't forget about the music and sound effects. May not be hard to get them but finding the right ones is always a lengthy endeavor.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 05:34:32 PM »
Yeah I guess I forgot about those. But I figured that we can always find a bunch of free use stuff to use if we didn't want to go through the trouble of making music. Not like the music in these things ever gets super elaborate or anything. It's all just sort of background elevator stuff.

Offline LittRL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 05:41:19 PM »
Just figured I'd mention it. As far as music goes OSTs or instrumentals work fine. Not like we're selling the game anyhow so whatever should do.

Just the sound effects. Man trying to find the specific ones have proven tough to me.

Offline Jack Melancholy

• That one guy from that one place you heard of that one time.
  • This is my personal text. IT'S MINE AND MINE ALONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 06:46:24 PM »
So basically atm we have Litt doing the Renpy stuff, *assumes* Coryn is doing the writing, and (possibly?) me doing the art stuff for the peeps.
Right? Or did I end up skipping something?

Also. Why can't I bring my scythe to school? What we do when the demons of the underworld rise up to invade our school next Monday? Am I just supposed to sit there and become a servant of the devil? I think NOT!