February 19, 2018, 09:10:37 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Gaff Occasionally Draws.  (Read 11674 times)

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
Gaff Occasionally Draws.
« on: March 30, 2014, 06:22:50 PM »
So, as the title suggests, I do.  Although I still try to do traditional things from time to time, the vast bulk of what I do these days is digital.  Of late, I've been doing a lot of fan-art, but if nobody minds, I'd rather keep everything in the one thread, if only because I hope it'll spur me on to try and finish the comic I've agreed to work on with a writer friend.

Anyway, I did a painting of Ryuko from Kill la Kill at the tail end of last year and promptly swore I'd do another one before the end of the series.  Big mistake.  This turned into an absolute time vampire, I swear.

There was a bit of a hiccup with the recording, so it's a bit erratic, but I've also got a speedpaint process video of it on youtube here, if anyone wants to see it.

Incidentally, I've been working digitally for quite a while now, so if anyone has questions about software or stuff, fire away and I'll do my best to answer.

Offline GingerStark

• Social & Political Scientist
  • There is no single truth, only contingent theories
    • View Profile
Re: Gaff Occasionally Draws.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 06:37:33 PM »
Aha, a good piece of artwork there no doubt good sir  :thumbsup: I'll try to give feedback to the best of my inferior knowledge  :hmm:

The colouring is really top notch and adds to the depth/3-D shape of the character, which is no easy task so hats off to you for such effort!
The edges of the skirt looks a bit sketchy though, especially near the bottom. The elbows also seem different from one another, one's pointy and the other is rounded which seems a tad odd. Also her left leg appears to be sticking out to far which makes her stance seem awkward and uncomfortable, especially at the ankle *shivers*

Anyways, just my thoughts. I'm no artist myself so I have little clue at what I'm saying  :noidea: But at least you know I like the art  :dance:

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:48:31 PM »
So, the legs seem like they're way too long. just with a quick finger measurement they're practically twice as long as the rest of her body.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:18:54 PM »
Ginger Joy: Thanks!  I take your point about the elbows and the skirt.  Clothing isn't my strong suite and I struggled with the skirt in particular, although if the edge seems raggedy, I think it was probably me trying to vary the depth of individual pleats.

Coryn: Are you going by the video or the finished piece?  I did make the legs far too long in the original sketch, but changed it around before the rendering and, even checking it again now, I make the base of the pubis pretty much half-way down the figure.

Offline Agent.Knopf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 01:55:31 AM »
Anyways, just my thoughts. I'm no artist myself so I have little clue at what I'm saying  :noidea:

If you degrade your own opinion right after giving it, why do you bother saying it in the first place xD ? No offense really (I have seen this a LOT across forums), but if you point out things in a drawing that you feel are not quite right - then commit to what you say and don't append a "But i dont know what I am talking about anyway, so your stuff is great and I am wrong" xD ...

@Gaff: Welcome to the forum and nice first post! I agree with GingerJoy on the feet: If you try the pose you drew you'll probably notice, that the feet need to be slightly different, especially when you consider the position of the knees. I like the sword, not sure about that pink circle though.

Cheers,
Knopf

Offline GingerStark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 02:02:37 AM »
Agent: fool! It's because I'm modest...! I mean... Sorry, I'm just giving opinion more than professional advice :D

Offline Agent.Knopf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 02:29:55 AM »
Agent: fool! It's because I'm modest...! I mean... Sorry, I'm just giving opinion more than professional advice :D

Ah I see - false modesty is indeed popular these days :3 ! ... Just kidding lel xD ... Maybe a good alternative is to write :

My opinion: la di da di da....

That should get your point across :D .

Cheers,
Knopf

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »
Remember to keep things civil and on topic please.

Matoi Ryuuko! Nicely done

Offline Agent.Knopf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »
Remember to keep things civil and on topic please.

Errr lol actually I was joking xD - I hope at least GingerJoy got that :D.  And as far as I could tell, GingerJoys response was meant in a funny way as well  ;)  !

Offline GingerStark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 03:57:01 PM »
Whoa man, what happened?? Me and agent Knopf were getting along and I find that our banter has been deleted?!   :ohmy:

But to keep things on topic still, when will you post your next work Gaff? :D

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »
Good question.  It'll all depend on time really.  Ryuko took quite a while, so it'll all depend on time.

I could post some older stuff in the meantime, I guess.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 05:44:53 PM »
The image is good, but I feel there is a lot of inconsistency in the rendering style in the image. Try to do separate studies of the different materials before doing the final painting, and then do everything from imagination.

Regarding the legs, they're definitely too long. The pelvis half-way down the figure only works when the legs are not spread out.

There is no flow in the figure. The sword being off to the side I feel is what causes it(it's also sort of weird that it's being held in only one hand). Don't be afraid to overlap things in your image to contribute to the rhythm and action line.

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 08:59:54 AM »
A new thing.

Spoiler

There's nothing I hate more than an internet popularity contest, but I've painted this for the Tokyo Otaku Mode's Steins;Gate t-shirt design contest, and the outcome is partly decided by facebook likes. So if you could take 30 seconds to click the link and like it on their page, I'd really appreciate it. There's also a process video for this one coming up, if anyone's interested. Thanks!

Link to Tokyo Otaku Mode.

Offline batkid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 04:46:48 PM »
oh wow! :3
loved stiens gate --

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile