January 17, 2018, 05:14:38 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Japanese school-life help  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese school-life help
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »
well, white rice is a pretty standard side dish. you'll also have grilled fish. croquettes. chicken, hot dogs even.

so bunches of stuff really. we live in a global society, so of course there will be some over lap. even in japan you'll find mc'donalds, kfc, and pizza hut. everybody likes pizza right?

if you really want to get into it you can look into foodie culture. sure you'll find lots of interesting things. a quick google brought me to this site though. seems promising

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e620.html

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 05:33:43 PM »
HAH! Found this f**king topic, have no clue how it hid from me.

Anyway, some things I'd like to point out: I read a manga once where a character was a Janitor who took care of the yards and other stuff. I know that students are required to clean classes but I doubt they clean the bathrooms so I think they do have Janitors :l just a thought.

Umm, when looking up info on Teacher jobs in Japan I found out that most schools are 6 days a week and some even 7 days.

Food consists of rice with everything xD But seriously, almost everything is accompanied by rice, rice and food are literally the same word (gohan). In the mornings it has become very common for families to have a rather western breakfast (bacon, fried eggs, sausage, toast, etc.) But they usually have Miso soup with rice, though that is mostly a side dish. At lunch you'll see a ton of BENTOU!!=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE3gNUBqfG8 Basically a box fulled with very pweddy delicious tweets ;3 Bento aside, it's common for students to get some yummy ramen or yakisoba at the schools cafeteria (if one is provided that is). MacDonalds is very popular and ramen restaurants are so popular they have a massive museum just for ramen stalls. It's crazy indeed. Supper I am not too sure about but I'm sure it has lots of fish, loooooots of fish, and sake L:

I know that in most Japanese schools the teacher is the one who goes to different classes for lessons rather than students and their offices are not in classes but in staff rooms.

Leaving school and starting work after middle school is aloud but apparently most Japanese go on to finish High School and many go on to University.

Sleeping in class is looked at differently from other cultures, you actually get respected because it is a sign you are working hard. Most people even sleep on trains and such, there was a huge news article about it the other day in my newspaper, it included like 30 pictures too xD

Cram school is very common.

I am going to become a substitute teacher in Japan in the near future (maybe even next year) for up to two years, so if you're still working on this story then I'll be sure to give you more advice :smile: Ganbatte!! ^.^

Offline Vacant

• MR's official no.1 present wrapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 06:50:59 PM »
Public Japanese elementary and middle schools are closed on national holidays. Students used to have to attend on saturdays but now they are free on the weekends apparently.

They have three have three terms at most schools, summer vacation covers the the end of July to the end of August. Winter and spring vacation both last around 10 days, from just after Christmas usually to the second week in January. While spring is the last week in March. The new school year starts in April, at the end of spring vacation.

The classes consist of around 40-45 students and most classes have a class president. What I found is quite different in japanese and western schools is that the teachers are the ones who move from room to room for lessons and not the students. So students spend most of the time in the same room each day.

They also have lots of culture days and festivals and spend days preparing for them, which I always thought was a anime cliche but is apparently true :P

Anyway's hope some of this info assists you dude! :)

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 10:09:35 PM »
janitors working outside arent janitors. even then teachers also do some ceaning. also...this doesnt apply to every school but in public schools it does. private schools are iffy.

my knowledge is also iffy on elementary and middle schools.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline GingerStark

• Social & Political Scientist
  • There is no single truth, only contingent theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 05:51:31 AM »
Thanks for the help so far guys, it's been a great assess to my writing  :thumbsup: We're also learning cultural differences in psychology lessons now so I've got a double whammy of information to go on!

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 06:18:03 AM »
Also on the topic of food. it varies per student, but just look up common lunches. I have yet to see a public school cafeteria that serves lunch in an anime yet, but i'm sure they would have one. i suggest looking up information on what cafteria's serve usually "if they exist in public high schools"

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »
Well in some animes they have like a sort of concessions stand? serving like those prepackaged subs or whatever.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline GingerStark

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 05:56:06 PM »
Hmmm, I think I recall most students bringing in their lunch which they then eat during break times in the class itself as opposed to the playground.

Now what about entertainment? Do Japanese love going clubbing and drinking, do they prefer sticking to more homely events like TV and meeting family or are they pretty similar to American/English culture?

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »
its hard to say, it depends on the student, bu ti dont think their that wild.

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »
Japanese students dedicate a lot more time to their studies than us english do :P I read somewhere that after school, the average student spends a couple of hours doing homework each weekday!!! I would guess that doing all that would want them to blow of a little steam, but I think they're a tad more reserved, particularly in high school. I'm sure they would do similar activities, watch tv, listen to music, hang out with friends in their spare time.

One more interesting note I learned that teenage dating is apparently highly discouraged by teachers and parents. The majority of Japanese students don't start seriously dating till near the end or after high school!

Offline GingerStark

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 06:29:57 PM »
Ah, much different over here then... makes you wonder how'd they'd react to a teenage pregnancy!  :ohmy:

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 06:37:30 PM »
very different, but they don't have the drug abuse that is rife in western teen culture either. Perhaps they just have better or stricter policing of that kind of thing, I suppose, which is a plus for them.

I don't think it would go down too well. Japanese people are quite career focused, this is implemented from a young age and having a child would obviously pose a problem to this mindset, so the teen pregnancy rates would be a lot lower there than here in the UK or the US. Guess there's no Japanese version of Jeremy Kyle then? :P

Offline GingerStark

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
Haha! No 16 & pregnant either... I bet it'll be replaced with 36, married and financially stable! XD

It's good that they have that discipline, like well oiled cogs for a big machine. Perhaps they might be more susceptible to conformity however?

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 07:03:09 PM »
Well it's a different culture to ourselves in that respect. Over here, If you are not part of an instantly distinguishable group and stand out from the crowd, it can be viewed as cool. People like to be told they aren't one of the crowd, we brand people as sheep in a derogatory fashion, in general we like to be unique.

Over in Japan, it's a bit different, people don't want to attract unwarranted attention to themselves and generally prefer to just fit in. That's not to say there aren't individuals who do love being the black sheep though, especially the younger generation who strive to be different more so than ever at the moment.

Offline GingerStark

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 06:27:16 AM »
Hmmm, good point you make there. It's a. Interesting difference between community based and individualistic cultures.