April 19, 2024, 01:40:42 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Critique Needed on my Comic/Manga Thing!!!  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
Critique Needed on my Comic/Manga Thing!!!
« on: March 11, 2014, 12:22:23 AM »
EDIT - I'll post my work again when I make something that I actually like.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:44:03 PM by Manimal »

Offline Zelina

• View Profile
Re: Critique Needed on my Comic/Manga Thing!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:21:45 PM »
I'm a complete beginner but I see a lot of issues with anatomy, sometimes I don't understand what's happening in some of the pictures because I can't make out what you drew.

The eyes aren't aligned, are drawn too close together, and there are other issues but like I said I'm a beginner too.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 06:25:40 PM »
I'm a complete beginner but I see a lot of issues with anatomy, sometimes I don't understand what's happening in some of the pictures because I can't make out what you drew.

The eyes aren't aligned, are drawn too close together, and there are other issues but like I said I'm a beginner too.
Oh ya anatomy is issue #2 for me (#1 is spelling). Sometimes I feel like some panels look unclear like you described so it's good to know that other people think that. I mean for me I know what's going on since I drew it but I don't know how other people feel. Also you should see when the eyes are far apart. Oh boy it looks terrible. Beyond terrible. So I just keep them at close together for that reason.

The worst part is I'm not a beginner. That why I'm so critical and disappointed with my work.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:28:54 PM by Manimal »

Offline Zelina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »
Do you use guidelines? Because that's very important, even for pros. I always use guidelines, even if my drawings don't look as good as yours. I think you should work on easier poses first and really get the proportions of the face right, because I think you're almost there.

Offline Rojas

• Hello everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »
That why I'm so critical and disappointed with my work.

Whoa, just keep your head up man. Don't be disappointed at all, you are drawing which is more than anyone else who said that they wanted to draw and didn't. You are practicing which is good.

But it could possibly be the way you practice. When you practice you should be looking at what you are doing wrong and then fix it. If anatomy is the problem then focus on it. Every day work on drawing different parts of the body. Relearn all the steps, make sure you have guidelines if you are bad at placement. Somethings that I have used before and still do are.

http://moni158.deviantart.com/gallery/26778761

http://designlesson.blogspot.com/

Start from somewhere and fix it up. Don't give up, draw from real life references. Don't limit yourself to manga style. Trust me, I've had my highs and lows, but don't give up. The best way to learn anatomy is focus on real life anatomy then convert it to your drawing style.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 06:53:41 PM »
Do you use guidelines? Because that's very important, even for pros. I always use guidelines, even if my drawings don't look as good as yours. I think you should work on easier poses first and really get the proportions of the face right, because I think you're almost there.
I do. Kinda. Sort of. My guidelines are very fast and lack a good shape. They're like diet guidelines. I do a lot of short cuts because I always rush. I kind of have a basic form for girls but for guys it's a free for all. Maybe I'll draw a triangle or some circles or maybe I'll just go in. My style is very much trial and error.

That why I'm so critical and disappointed with my work.

Whoa, just keep your head up man. Don't be disappointed at all, you are drawing which is more than anyone else who said that they wanted to draw and didn't. You are practicing which is good.

But it could possibly be the way you practice. When you practice you should be looking at what you are doing wrong and then fix it. If anatomy is the problem then focus on it. Every day work on drawing different parts of the body. Relearn all the steps, make sure you have guidelines if you are bad at placement. Somethings that I have used before and still do are.

http://moni158.deviantart.com/gallery/26778761

http://designlesson.blogspot.com/

Start from somewhere and fix it up. Don't give up, draw from real life references. Don't limit yourself to manga style. Trust me, I've had my highs and lows, but don't give up. The best way to learn anatomy is focus on real life anatomy then convert it to your drawing style.
I know but that's never enough for me. I just want to be better and I know I can be better since I know I can be and when I draw something that isn't up to par(which is everything) it frustrates me. Ya I don't really practice. I do some character designs before a comic and then jump right in. I'm not productive unless I'm working on a comic. I tried anatomy but it never works out. I'll check out what you linked. I've tried some tutorials on DeviantArt but I just get pissed off over how good the people who make them are and nothing comes out of it. I don't really look at other peoples works for this reason.

But you know I could never give up on this. No matter how much I hate what I make I've been doing this too long to give up.

Offline Rojas

• Hello everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 08:19:58 PM »
Well you won't get better without practice. I remember I liked getting straight into things too, but I never improved. Until I actually started practicing is when I got better. It's rough and decent amount of work to do to practice on a normal basis. You just have to be committed and of course sometimes look through someone else's artwork to get better.

When you practice don't just draw it out, think about the shapes and remember how things look. If you draw something and it's off think about why and how you can fix it. That is the only way to get better. You have to understand why and look into it. That way you fix it indefinitely and move on to the next thing.

Draw a person, plain out and standing, then look at it. Fix the parts that are wrong by studying and then redraw it. What is wrong this time? Keep trying and trying is all I'm trying to say and you will get it sooner or later depending on the work you put into it.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 09:55:42 PM »
Practicing for me always ends with multiple papers balled and tossed behind my desk and a very frustrated me but I understand it's importance. It's just hard to get into.

Did you have any thoughts on my comic though?

Offline Rojas

• Hello everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 10:11:01 PM »
It's a really funny comic, I laughed when I read it. I mean if you touch up your art style just a little where it is still cartoonish, it would be perfect. The comic itself, I love it so far.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 11:37:35 PM »
You're putting too many expectations on yourself. You may have been drawing for over 12 years, but when did you get really serious about it? I started drawing when I was 5, and I got serious when I was 15. I'm now 17. 99.9% of any improvement happened when I got serious about it. I'm looking at whatever you have here as an artist. I'm sorry to say, but you're still a beginner in terms of your drawing skills, yet you're also better than I was when I was 15. You really need to break away from your comfort zone and learn to draw. Learn how to learn how to draw, as well. Don't take this as a bad thing. It's not. Just open yourself to the process of learning. You have many bad habits to break, so you will need to take it step by step. If improvement doesn't come immediately, do not be afraid. If it's hard at first, do not step down from the challenge. It'll be best for you if you do the majority of your drawings right now on paper with pencil. It's a lot easier to learn how to draw this way than with digital.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 08:28:09 AM »
-
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:06:54 PM by Manimal »