August 17, 2019, 05:48:15 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: NSFW Ryan's Revived Sketchbook  (Read 25635 times)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• King of Lurking Losers / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Re: NSFW Ryan's Revived Sketchbook
« Reply #285 on: November 21, 2018, 11:48:09 PM »
There's something emerging in these newer ones, especially the chibis, that vaguely reminds me of another artist, but I'm not sure I can place it. Soul Eater's manga, maybe?

Regardless, it's nice to see you at work again. I've missed your feedback and presence around here. I hope to be seeing more of your stuff and advice soon.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 22, 2018, 05:13:25 AM »
@Ryan for just short of 2 hours thats some great dynamic sketches there. aha Cute and Chibi, huh. love it. my advice would be to keep the details simpler than a normal drawing. chibi hands especially tend to be blob hands, and only gain digits when needed for pointing and so on. that being said, I like the way you've going with the large hands, it reminds me of something but I can't place it. keep it up, and experimentation is key for exploring new styles. you don't want to end up drawing generic stuff like everyone else so push those boundaries!

great to see your art here again, yeah old drawings can make us cringe, but hey the harder we cringe the more we've improved right.
and if you get rusty for not drawing in a couple of days, I don't even want to know what I get after a couple of months of not drawing!
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 22, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »
Nice to see your work again Ryan! Brings a warmth to my cold dead heart to watch artists who haven't posted art in a long time post their art again.

I do like the Chibis too! They're very expressive!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 22, 2018, 06:01:48 PM »
Dude long time no see. Like it's been ages man. Also those chibis are über expressive. This is really great stuff man! Love how your shading works. You should do more.

Also a cringe at old art is a win for your new art. You've gotten better then.

Please, keep at it man!

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 27, 2019, 07:23:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

For awhile, I wanted to be an illustrator for a living. I also went to university for art. I graduated last year in May.

The stress of trying to appeal to more a general audience, and the need to make more commercially appealing art got to me. I also needed to get a job and start making money, pressures from the family. That plays a big part.

I'm fortunate to not be in debt, and I have an internship now in another field I like, which is also less competitive.

I'm now treating myself as a hobbyist. I can do the weird, experimental things I've wanted to do for awhile now that probably won't lead to getting freelance work. I can just improve my skills, learn whatever new subject matter I want without needing to work on a portfolio.

I'll try to stick around longer this time.

Here's some semi-recent stuff, done just for the sake of drawing.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 28, 2019, 07:32:51 AM »
nice stuff. Yeah having a job certainly slowed down my art progress just for lack of time, but having stable income can certainly reduce stress while you pursue the art skill you want. well done for graduating at uni.
that last piece is super expressive, I can imagine a whole manga in that style. amazing what well placed scribbly lines can do.
looking forward to having you around.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 29, 2019, 12:55:07 AM »
Thanks man, I'm glad to be around too.. The key is to create variety in tone with the scribbles and to make sure there's still a lot of white space overall. It can be good to pick a side of a form, and say it's the shadow side—and put the majority of the scribbly lines there.

I've been looking at kimetsu no yaiba a lot. The author uses scribbly lines to fill in the eyes. I love it. Anyways, I'll show more of what I'm doing with that in a different thread.

I thought it would be fun to put the sketch layer right next to the drawings I make on top. I'll be indicating this with an arrow.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 28, 2019, 04:16:22 PM »
whoops missed your reply. I haven't done much cross hatching or line shading for ages so I@ll be sure to try out different approaches when I get round to it next.

nice improvement on the top one. I'm still trying to work out a good detail balance for a first/second/third sketch, and when in the iterations and resolving the sketch do I add each set of details. it's fun stuff.