June 21, 2018, 11:48:31 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: MR on Youtube!  (Read 13491 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: MR on Youtube!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 02:11:37 PM »
Hasith is well aware of the channel. He was in on it when we made it.

The channel is just to show off what the community is doing. A forum is just a group of people, so the channel should represent. It's a way for our members who make videos that are related to manga/drawing/writing to show off their stuff. Nothing more nothing less.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 02:14:26 PM »
then its best really not to put anything such as tutorials.

also, if you want to promote this forum more, you have to concentrate on making the forum look better. try working on the home page too. you guys havent made a single update.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:16:48 PM by Lorenx1 »
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 02:52:27 PM »
What are you trying to promote with this in the first place?

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 03:44:40 PM »
thats exactly my question for the MR youtube. what exactly are you trying to promote?

if we want to promote community, we have to give the members reason to stay, and as much as this place is focused on writing, not much "progress" has been in other categories.

all the contests are set up at a "at your own personal pace". theres no forum-content being featured in the MR home-page, heck the MR-home page didn't even mention anything about the contest.

the way the homepage looks would show how well the community "appears" to be. regular updates is good too

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 04:19:50 PM »
This isn't the place to make complaints about the forum itself Loren. Those are things you need to ask Hasith about directly. I don't have control over what the homepage displays.

And guys the youtube isn't for 'promoting' anything in particular. Like I said, it's just so members can create and show off videos relevant to MR and its many facets. That's it, that's the point, there's no grand purpose to be fulfilled. What the channel does is up to the people who make videos for it. ie, you guys.

so come on guys. just have fun with it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:23:13 PM by Coryn »

Offline Vacant

• MR's official no.1 present wrapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 06:22:21 PM »
Again, I fail to see how having a channel loaded with content from amateur writers and artists would harm the image of this forum. For me personally I spent a good while trying to find a site just like this one and only really stumbled upon it by accident. Youtube is the second most popular way people search the internet behind Google, so I think it would give more exposure to the forum and draw more people in.

Offline Liuva

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 06:30:48 PM »
Forums are generally hard to promote in the first place. The crowd is rather miniscule. Given thought... only those directly associated with the base idea of the forums intention would care to communicate in the first place.

Offline Vacant

• MR's official no.1 present wrapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 07:00:19 PM »
I feel a larger number of members would be beneficial to everyone. There would be more reviewer's, more writers, more artists and more fan's who wish to just chat about their favourite Manga/Anime. I personally joined this site to be able to chat to other fan's of our niche genre and I enjoy reading other people's work. While I'm not in any way affiliated with MR, I would like to see more member's and If I could assist in that I would do so

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 07:37:10 PM »
I feel a larger number of members would be beneficial to everyone. There would be more reviewer's, more writers, more artists and more fan's who wish to just chat about their favourite Manga/Anime. I personally joined this site to be able to chat to other fan's of our niche genre and I enjoy reading other people's work. While I'm not in any way affiliated with MR, I would like to see more member's and If I could assist in that I would do so

which is something videos have a harder time portraying community. and the downside is pretty easy.

im not complaining about the MR site, im saying we need more active members in this site. were amateurs but we shouldnt aim for amateur. if we want our community to grow we need to get the right message. we are amateurs byt were not full of ourselves.

at leqst tutorial-wise we should be directing ppl to more useful ones we use than making tutorials of our own.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 10:27:55 PM »
Well I think if you spent five minutes on MR you'd learn we aren't full of ourselves. We play big but it's pretty easy to see that none of us are that arrogant or anything.

And I don't think we should really worry about putting out a substandard tutorial or anything. If you're going through the trouble of actually making a tutorial, then chances are you actually have some grasp on what you're doing. And it's not like we don't have some extremely talented people here.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 01:00:27 AM »
if you're not arrogant, i suggest you take this MR youtube and consider "very" carefully, and see what things need to be done first before  going through with this.

i wouldn't say people are arrogant in general, but the forum has had instances of arrogance, but luckily you've avoided anything to have permanent reputation....up until now.

Offline LittRL

• Crush the strong, crush the weak.
  • Nothing a little duct tape can't fix.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 01:24:11 AM »
This is literally the most needless argument. If it matters to you what we put on Youtube under the name of the forum in an "official" sense to seem more "professional" then why not hire somebody to do them for us? Clearly the answer would be because we wouldn't be the ones doing it. If there's a video that would be "damaging" to the site then we could have people watch the videos through first to decide that as a community.

This is a site for amateurs to do what they enjoy, not to only show what they have when they're at a professional level. The Youtube channel having dozens of amateur videos could be inviting to others as a sign that we aren't looking for the best of the best, just people who want to share. Why argue this when the site itself isn't looking to be anything but friendly and not show off. In fact if the point of the channel were to only show the best we have to offer that would be arrogant of us.

If you want to brand MR as a professional site I suggest you look elsewhere as this is a forum for a community to share, not a name in which to label its talents.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 02:02:00 AM »
This is literally the most needless argument. If it matters to you what we put on Youtube under the name of the forum in an "official" sense to seem more "professional" then why not hire somebody to do them for us? Clearly the answer would be because we wouldn't be the ones doing it. If there's a video that would be "damaging" to the site then we could have people watch the videos through first to decide that as a community.

This is a site for amateurs to do what they enjoy, not to only show what they have when they're at a professional level. The Youtube channel having dozens of amateur videos could be inviting to others as a sign that we aren't looking for the best of the best, just people who want to share. Why argue this when the site itself isn't looking to be anything but friendly and not show off. In fact if the point of the channel were to only show the best we have to offer that would be arrogant of us.

If you want to brand MR as a professional site I suggest you look elsewhere as this is a forum for a community to share, not a name in which to label its talents.
if we want to "truly" help people in a form of media where its more of showing off the tutorial and not questioning it or going for more advance ideas, then yes.

like i said we already have other videos that help better. why make an MR youtube channel that tries to get a piece of the action. keep in mind in what do we really have to offer? advice? yes but when we actually have something to look at.

the forum format is the one on one down to earth approach. but videos is more about having an audience...look...no one here is pro...and we are all looking at other places when it comes to art. the thing is its not convenient to have an MR youtube video at all if its trying to help members grow when everyone is on the same boat.

but rather it would be better to direct people to MR to getting advice or to other youtube videos.

ok look at it like this. our home page us a joke, no offense to whoever created it but it is. it needs some fixing some design and some more tweaks to being presentable. suppose MR youtube actually gains some people interested in the site, what will they think about the main site? having MR youtube would be better when we all gained significant ammount of experience being ready to help those who barely starting out.

Offline LittRL

• Crush the strong, crush the weak.
  • Nothing a little duct tape can't fix.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 02:42:43 AM »
I feel the main aspect of Mr that keeps me in is that we're all inexperienced in our own ways. It's like a school club where some may be better than others but nobody's really the best at everything and that's what we have to offer as a community.

Having no audience is fine, if people want to make videos to help, even if limited in technique or clarity, it still helps them. Some people start off on Youtube for fun and have next to no viewers but simply having a place to share what they produce gives them a reason to improve. There's no harm in allowing them this in the name of MR where our main goal is to improve.

Forums rarely ever have anything beyond a background paper and a nice heading and though I know we're lacking any attention-grabbers in those regards ourselves it's not like we've got anything set in concrete. Like I said our main attractive feature is our community's level and acceptance of anyone else. Regardless of what we do there will always be people to happen by, make an account, and leave since there's nothing making them stay. That isn't hurting us since even if just a couple of active members join up because they notice this to be a small forum that allows fun and freedom to its members then it's fine.

Just let whoever wants to contribute do so. If in the long run it's a little egg on our face then so be it, I'll take the fall myself if it helps.

Offline Thy Obsessive Freak

• From a freak of society
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 05:41:25 AM »
Pretty much agreeing with LittRL and Coryn. MangaRaider in my opinion is a community where you come to try and practice your skills in the way you want with plenty of freedom without the threat of pressuring or making you feel bad, while being helped and supported, all while having fun.

I did come here after all to get some advice, tutorials and tips to help improve, but I'm glad to be apart of the friendly community itself. After all, what I feel improves a person skills is practice and a best way to get a person practicing more is motivation and support, so promoting a friendly and fun community is what I'm about anyways.

I really wanted to post those to ask why you're saying there's no one full of themselves here or arrogant like you're all pretending I'm not here  :glare: